Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Cheers laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Sweet! yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 2017

Sakura applied to Misty's Veronica in DAZ studio and parts converted to blended weights load a host of errors

saved separately and the character applied to Veronica in Carrara they can conform but the eyeball UV mapping is messed as a geograft

fitting a second pair to the first and hiding the first eventually did work but I had to move the eye lens into the head as no shader would allow transparency

is probably the first and last time I  use her though as bug eyed monsters not to my taste cheeky

Got her with the two free more toony figure bundles for their clothes and hairs etc, I certainly will use Callie and did have the Keiko base but never fully dialed in.

For the price a nice stash of stuff.

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 335K
    Sakura Carrara0052.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 854K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • video

cute,smiley

i havent even tried loading Pei yet >.<

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Hope everyone is having a good holiday.

Has anyone given Aeon Soul's The Legend a try?

https://www.daz3d.com/the-legend-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

the sale is tempting, as is armour with non-skimpwear options. I'm wondering if all the displacement makes it a no go. Thanks!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Cbird said:

Hope everyone is having a good holiday.

Has anyone given Aeon Soul's The Legend a try?

https://www.daz3d.com/the-legend-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s

the sale is tempting, as is armour with non-skimpwear options. I'm wondering if all the displacement makes it a no go. Thanks!

Just bought it to see it is a nice looking set.

edited December 2017

I have used it in Carrara on Misty’s character after converting to Blended weight

I have this octane rendered video

I think I skipped the displacement maps though as often skip maps in my animations 

I just (last week) grabbed some V3 and M3 stuff to be used on Genesis 1, and works pretty darned well. The stuff that loads funky on my characters have been fairly easy to fix using the modeling tools (I tweak in the Model Room and watch the tiny preview window). Pretty darned cool. I'll have to see if I can dig out my old Generation 3 stuff from back in the day ;)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 2017

Here is a render of the breast plate using Lux Core Render engine and I did not change anything except play witht the shaders a little bit.

legend armour test Luxcore render.jpg
    1920 x 2348 - 2M
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Thank you! Now I'm tempted despite my PayPal account groaning :)

Btw, the video music scared my cat right off the bed, lol

i picked up the precious dragon, too cute.  hoping if geograft bandaids will make it useable.

cool undecided on a file structure,

do yoo keep your carrara tweaked stuff in daz library under a special folder or yoo keep in the item's oiriginal product folder?

Mistara said:

i picked up the precious dragon, too cute.  hoping if geograft bandaids will make it useable.

cool undecided on a file structure,

do yoo keep your carrara tweaked stuff in daz library under a special folder or yoo keep in the item's oiriginal product folder?

If I'm keeping it as a Library item (instead of a .CAR file) I normally use the original product folder and change the file name slightly.

The exception to this is if I've converted or saved it to work on a different figure, then I make a new folder structure just like the original product, but in the new listing. 

Example of the last bit: If I convert something from Genesis 2 Female to Genesis 2 Male only for the reason of then converting it for Genesis 1, I'll leave the G2M conversion in the original product folder for G2F, since I'm not really intending to use it on G2M. But after I convert it to Genesis 1, I'll make a new folder under My Library > People > Genesis > Clothing, that matches the name of the original product, or something similar, and save the Genesis 1 version in there.

what about the texture maps?

i've been copying the texture files directly into the folder with .cbr file.

prolly woulda been easier to keep a runtime,textures, default folder
    but then makes an extra cleanup step if i decide not to use the item.

with 3tb to store stuff now, need a schema before junking it up >.<

Mistara said:

Many Carrara users do just that - put the textures in the same place as the .cbr, etc.,

Since I like working with content, I started my own Runtime > Textures > Dartanbeck folder for each of my runtimes right from the start. But instead of having to navigate down to "Dartanbeck" all the time, I changed it to "!_dB" so the folder is always at the top of the list.

Carrara's default Texture location for Carrara-specific products is in the Carrara install folder under Presets > Textures.

Yeah... I have a lot of stuff that should be cleaned out of many of these texture folders I have. You'd be amazed, however, at how many times I remember textures I've made for something years ago and, thanks to my runtime organization and always using my specified Textures folders, I can easily hunt them down and use them on the fly - so I'm kinda reluctant to clean them out just yet.

But then again, I'm not in this for huge UHD, so my texture maps don't usually take up much space, relatively speaking.

The main thing to remember out of all of this is that we always need to save the final product After moving the texure maps around or changing their names. While it might be a minor inconvenience for those of us who make the stuff, if we sell it to someone else, and they get errors... that's all on us! ;)

Mistara said:

Many Carrara users do just that - put the textures in the same place as the .cbr, etc.,

Since I like working with content, I started my own Runtime > Textures > Dartanbeck folder for each of my runtimes right from the start. But instead of having to navigate down to "Dartanbeck" all the time, I changed it to "!_dB" so the folder is always at the top of the list.

Carrara's default Texture location for Carrara-specific products is in the Carrara install folder under Presets > Textures.

Yeah... I have a lot of stuff that should be cleaned out of many of these texture folders I have. You'd be amazed, however, at how many times I remember textures I've made for something years ago and, thanks to my runtime organization and always using my specified Textures folders, I can easily hunt them down and use them on the fly - so I'm kinda reluctant to clean them out just yet.

But then again, I'm not in this for huge UHD, so my texture maps don't usually take up much space, relatively speaking.

The main thing to remember out of all of this is that we always need to save the final product After moving the texure maps around or changing their names. While it might be a minor inconvenience for those of us who make the stuff, if we sell it to someone else, and they get errors... that's all on us! ;)

the relative path syntax in .cbr file is still a mystery.

i noticed in poser, when saving a mc6 file in main r/t folder, it used relative path,
    but if saving to external r/t, it saved with the literal path.  makes sense i giess.

edited January 2018

I tried using Fenric's Poser Weightmapping utility on the Evolution Demo from CGbytes but I get an exception error on the saved .car file of the converted cr2 crying

NM I left hair on

but she still has no IK and bends odd

edited January 2018

converting to general weights I can get her to work in DAZ studio but converted to blended fails in Carrara

a video

is it an experiment to use a dforce outfit in carrara?

https://www.daz3d.com/vinnuth-kriegor-battle-mega-armor-for-genesis-8-male-s

Uses Dformers

Maybe need to for each pose export as obj and load in morph loader and save as support assets morphs

video

yes dform poses can be obj exported and saved as morphs in DAZ studio and work on my blended weight subscene for Carrara

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    edited January 2018

Bought the Karyssa 8 Pro Bundle. Have so far had no problems using the Karyssa 8 character with Misty's G8F Carrara Beta.

Did have a problem with the Ethereal Fantasy Outfit skirt, was still crashing Carrara even after it was converted to blended weight. The Ankle Wraps, Wrist Wraps, and Bodysuit all worked okay after converting to blended weight. Wrist Wraps did not position properly when loaded.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited February 2018

a few thoughts on the new Hivewire BigDog

• it comes in two flavours Poser 10 or greater and Ds - I tried the poser one but his wieght painting doesnt seem to fit in Carrara,.
    • Daz one when I found the duf finally loads up into Carrara
    • But it poses painfully slowly - going into the model room and turning of smoothing fixed that problem.
    • The corneas and Iris textures were misalinged so had to be fixed in the uv mapper thing in the modelling room.
    • That done the eyes werent very convincing. Maybe a bit of shader tweaking needed.
    • The included poses that come with the dog give an error message in Carrara. Oddly enough the Daz Mil Cat poses dont give error messageswhere as other Daz poses do. Not sure what is going on there.
    • Sparky's textures (an added bit bought separately) didnt appear in my runtime and had to be hand loaded in the shader room.
    • I havent bought any of Hivewire's stuff before. The dog looks well made . It's cheaper at Rendo than at Hivewire - which is silly.
    • It's supposed to have a whole lot of morphs but I havent found them yet.

• Any suggestions on these problems welcome :)
    •  

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

that's weird... I haven't had those problems... apart from fixing texture settings

I know the poser files don't work so you must use the DS files for all HW animals and figures... maybe uninstall the Poser files so as not to confuse things..

all morphs are under the Actor.... 

I just Carraraised the HW Dog this arvo!

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

that's weird... I haven't had those problems... apart from fixing texture settings

I know the poser files don't work so you must use the DS files for all HW animals and figures... maybe uninstall the Poser files so as not to confuse things..

all morphs are under the Actor.... 

I just Carraraised the HW Dog this arvo!

thanks Stezza ! ) will have a go. I didn't find any morphs under the Actor - so hopefully it will work.

nice job on revamping the dog :)

I did a pup this morning and stole the millenium dogs dalmation skin - will post it later. Ugliest pup you have ever seen. :)

cheers!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • he works fine for me 

I had to save the HW3Dcat animation I used in D|S as an animated duf pose as the Poser format they are in gives an error

the duf applies OK in Carrara to it.

I used the cat but they work in studio and Poser on the dog too.

thanks for that Wendy, cute dog too :)

make sure you you unzip the DS files into the 'My Daz3d Library' yes

edited February 2018
    Stezza said:

make sure you you unzip the DS files into the 'My Daz3d Library' yes

why?

I didn't 

I have a not DAZ library and runtime full of other content inc Dusk and Dawn

only the third party  genesis etc morph content need be in the DAZ one for the data files

just a suggestion as HW doggy didn't work for him... that's why.. frown