wishes for a better Hexagon

zoom function goes to the center of the scene not to left upper corner

feel free to ad your wishes i think there are a lot

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Zoom function already goes to wherever you leave your mouse pointer. Stop leaving it in the upper left corner.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

ok zoom is related to mouseplacement

good to know

mouse in the center- zoom to the center

mouse right side of screen- zoom goes to the left

mouse left side of screen- zoom goes to the right

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017

Weird. Been using Hexagon since the beginning. Never had any problems with mouse zoom using the default mouse wheel.  What did you change about your mouse for Hexagon?

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • For me it would be nice to have some UV options -

UV map output sizes 1024*1024 etc 

It would be nice to have a frame option - so it keeps the view to grid size.

A lock option on the UV Window - handy if your in split screen mode.

A way to reduce stretching.

If the above is not possible - a way to flatten a line automatically - Say you are making table cloth with a trim, when you unfold the trim the uvmap is all over the place so you have to take each line and use the arrows scale cube to straighten the edge.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

For me it would be nice to have some UV options -

If the above is not possible - a way to flatten a line automatically - Say you are making table cloth with a trim, when you unfold the trim the uvmap is all over the place so you have to take each line and use the arrows scale cube to straighten the edge.

Having better UV functions would be a big plus. It seems like a logical next step if Hexagon is to be the Daz app for modifying or modeling content.

It would also be nice to have some procedural noise texturing built in as well.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited January 2018

I doubt very much if those involved will read this so it maybe better to send your ideas to them via the Bug Report - Technical Support under the "Feature Request" title.

https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Because the way I am (old and I like things the way they are) a couple other tweaks I'd like are -

A way to Save/Load your Preferences options.

A way to Save/Load your Shortcut Key options.

Custom Palette option - Be able arranged the icons as you like them.

That's my wish list for the new build - What's yours ?

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited January 2018

I doubt very much if those involved will read this so it maybe better to send your ideas to them via the Bug Report - Technical Support under the "Feature Request" title.

I think public discussion is better and can give weight to or clarify certain ideas in a addition to a "Feature Request". While the stated policy is to report to the "Help" system, comments here are most certainly read, although they will not be acknowledged.

One of the things I miss about the old Mantis system is following the discussion over time.

Post edited by cdordoni on
  • I do agree about the Mantis, I was on the Beta for the 2.5 version, it was a lot easier seeing what someone else found and seeing if I could re-produce the problem.

Mention no names (Hi Anton), some people will be taking notes, but as you say, they will probably not take part in the discussion - get back to work guys - where's my 64 bit Hex laugh

For me it would be nice to have some UV options -

Yeah. That has been a complaints since 2.0 came out. You got better map output by taking a screenshot of the UV window than Hex could give you. A bit ridiculous really.

Or you could just turn snapping on and snap the points to the grid lines.

• We don't need new features! We need Hex to be 64bit and the big bugs fixed. Untill then more features mean more broken stuff to fix.

• Ascania said:

Or you could just turn snapping on and snap the points to the grid lines.

Thanks Ascania, I'll give that a go :)

We don't need new features! We need Hex to be 64bit and the big bugs fixed. Untill then more features mean more broken stuff to fix.

now pls tell what are the big bugs ?

• If you've found a big bug fill in a Help Ticket - https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

There is a post - Hexagon BETA - version 2.5.2.109! if you want to share your findings.

64bit is top of my wish list, but there's still a few things I'd like to be able to do with Hex.

is there a new beta version ready ?

at Dim theres Hexagon only listed

no beta

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Ruphuss said:

no beta

You have to 'buy' the Beta version in the DAZ Store. Then it will appear in DIM. It's the same beta that has been out for a couple of months now (2.5.2.109).

• I think an autosave would be nice.

• There is an autosave, CTRL+Shift+S or choose "Save Incremental" in the File menu.

edited February 2018
    Ruphuss said:

no beta

If you downloaded 2.5 before, the lastest version will replace that file. So just re-download 2.5 to get the 2.5.2.x whatever it's called now. The description for it is wrong. The MB size of the file is 100MB more than what it says it is.

• edited February 2018

I don't think that (save incremental) is what I meant by "Autosave". My intended meaning was a function that would automatically save your progress every few minutes to a backup file that can be retreived after a (all too common) crash.

Save incremental, by my understanding, just saves your progress to a file that is numbered incrementally so you can go back to an older version if you mess up, but you still need to physically tell it to save. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Post edited by pgs51474_db88ee4a45 on
  • I have got into the habbit of saving regually, so I agree your idea of an auto save may come in handy.

Why not send your idea in to Technical Suport (Feature Request) - https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

edited February 2018
    Ruphuss said:

no beta

You have to 'buy' the Beta version in the DAZ Store. Then it will appear in DIM. It's the same beta that has been out for a couple of months now (2.5.2.109).

i have this beta version

just wanted to ask if theres some progress

maybe John can tell a roadmap ?

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • I'm just a keen user Ruphuss, I have no inside information sorry :(

• dcb_creativedcb_creative Posts: 7
    edited February 2018

From time to time I have dabbled with Hexagon but found it's instability frustrating.

I am pleased to see that Hexagon is once again being maintained, and updated as there are too few dedicated polygon modeling applications available (Silo, Rocket 3F, Hexagon and what).

More so I am glad to learn that Daz3D is offering it for free to new users (I already paid back in the day) as I know many individuals interested in learning 3D modeling looking for an affordable and approachable tool. Welcome Hexagon to my software recomendation list.

Things I wish for, which in my opinion would make Hexagon better are:

• Improved / additional snap settings.
    • Numeric input control over more tools; fast extrude, edge tools, thickness, etc.
    • Direct numeric input for tools upon activation without having to press Tab as an option. 
    • An on / off option for the UV & Paint window (If there is one, I haven't found it).
    • FBX import and export support. 
    • Stability, stability, stability, because it never goes out of style.

It would also be nice to be able to (re)map some of the mouse navigation (LMB, MMB, RMB) settings as well as Tab key to directly to keyboard shortcuts to improve accessibility / customization when utilizing a programable 5+ button mouse.

Beyond that, at this time, I cannot imagine anything else Hexagon would need to become a popular daily driver for most 3D content creators and concept artists.

Oh, and definitly looking forward to the 64bit version.

Post edited by dcb_creative on

• Direct numeric input for tools upon activation without having to press Tab as an option. 

Bad idea. That would collide with the use of modifier keys.

• An on / off option for the UV & Paint window (If there is one, I haven't found it).​

What do you mean with that? Hexagon does not possess any dedicated UV/Paint window to be turned on/off. Each viewport window can be switched to any view.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited February 2018

dcb_creative, you can choose the number of windows by selecting one of the view options. Clicking on the View Title to swap cameras (views).

I recommend all newbies to check out these 26 short video by Danny Ripley of CG Dreams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-xZNYYv20

views.jpg
    1902 x 1038 - 323K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
    edited February 2018

dcb_creative, you can choose the number of windows by selecting one of the view options. Clicking on the View Title to swap cameras (views).

I recommend all newbies to check out these 26 short video by Danny Ripley of CG Dreams - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-xZNYYv20

I am aware of where to choose the number of window views. That was obvious. I was just hoping for a more elegant one click solution to having the UV window appear or more importantly disappear when no longer needed. Something like the click to hide '<' / '>' indicators as utilized for the property / scene / dynamic geometry / materials / shading side pannals would be nice. After all this is a discussion for wishes.

Also, not a newbie per se. I have been dabbling with Hexagon off and on for years. Just too frustrated with the applications instability to commit to it. Still that is a good collection of videos you recommend.

XXXXX

As for my Tab key suggestion / request / wish, there are no bad ideas, just bad implementations. Best not to be so quick to shoot down I suggestion / request / wish. A specific solution might not be obvious to you or I, but a good application designer / coder might be able to offer a viable alternative. 

It is all about having options. Options are good.

Stability of course is better.

• dcb_creative, you can choose the number of windows by selecting one of the view options. Clicking on the View Title to swap cameras (views).

I am aware of where to choose the number of window views. That was obvious. I was just hoping for a more elegant one click solution to having the UV window appear or more importantly disappear when no longer needed. Something like the click to hide '<' / '>' indicators as utilized for the property / scene / dynamic geometry / materials / shading side pannals would be nice. After all this is a discussion for wishes.

Also, not a newbie per se. I have been dabbling with Hexagon off and on for years. Just too frustrated with the applications instability to commit to it. Still that is a good collection of videos you recommend.

XXXXX

As for my Tab key suggestion / request / wish, there are no bad ideas, just bad implementations. Best not to be so quick to shoot down I suggestion / request / wish. A specific solution might not be obvious to you or I, but a good application designer / coder might be able to offer a viable alternative. 

It is all about having options. Options are good.

Stability of course is better.

I like your ideas. More options.

• No offense bcd_creative, but have you tried "New View" then selecting the UV option.

I do agree this is about more options.

edited February 2018

Not offended, though, it is "DCB" not "BCD".

I just was alerting you and anyone else that I am not a newbie to Hexagon, or 3D modeling (Actually I am a professional designer / illustrator with twenty-five years of work experience). I am familiar with the Hexagon user interface and can navigate between both project and tool windows. I wasn't actually asking for assistance but attempting to verbally illustrate an issue / frustration I have with the software's usabilty; my apologies for the confusion.

My "complaints" / "issues" which lead to most of suggestions / requests / wishes is that while Hexagon is fairly friendly to utilize, it could be better. Steps to navigate and tool parameters could be streamlined to improve user experience. As it is now, there is a lot of inefficiencies built into the Hexagon workflow; actions that currently take two or three steps could easily be simplified into one.

I understand that Hexagon is what it is with its own methods of doing many things, but some of those methods could / should be updated to make it even more inviting to artists of all levels of experience.

So to refine my wish list to what truly maters to me as a 3D modeler:

• Additional options to customize workflow.
    • Streamlined navigate and tool parameter user interfaces.
    • Stability, stability, stability.
    edited February 2018

Hexagon's "work area" GUI is an old take from Amapi's GUI when it merged with EOVIA's Carrara. This was all 2000-era GUI design. Hopefully, future versions of Hexagon will begin using a more contemporary work area.