3rd Annual It's Raining Men Contest - Discussion Thread

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,828
    scorpio said:

If you just have the legs invisible and use smoothing the legs will distort the tail which is why I shrink the legs.

So can autofit be used to use female clothing on males?

It would be astoundingly difficult to enter anything in the Repurposed category if autofit/Transfer Utility (both of which use clones) couldn't be used. Unless the idea is that this year, the Repurposed clothing can't be used as clothing?

• vwrangler said:
    scorpio said:

If you just have the legs invisible and use smoothing the legs will distort the tail which is why I shrink the legs.

So can autofit be used to use female clothing on males?

It would be astoundingly difficult to enter anything in the Repurposed category if autofit/Transfer Utility (both of which use clones) couldn't be used. Unless the idea is that this year, the Repurposed clothing can't be used as clothing?

I'll be honest. I'm on the fence about this. I would love to say "Heck, no, not allowed." However, autofit, buggy though it can be, is the only way to even get clothing to properly fit on its intended figure let alone one that it doesn't belong to. We all use autofit to go between generations and I can't see refusing to let contestants use it because then I'd have to disallow its use for all entries. So, yes, autofit is allowed however you see fit to use it.

That being said, yes, we would love to see more creative use of female articles for the Repurposed category. That is one reason why I listed that category as the Best, Original Repurposed Image. I want to see images in this category that have creative and unusual uses for female clothes. Remember that sail made from underwear that @Diomede entered the first year? We want more of that. You get more points if the female clothing in your entry is NOT used in the normal way.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

There have been some recent male-related additions to the store, so I hope the creative juices are inspired.  Heck, even the HD snowman would count, if I read the rules correctly.

• I love all of the pictures everyone! It's now December. You have until the end of the month to get all of your entries in. Keep them coming!

• I have really been impressed with the entries this year everyone! Just a reminder that we only have about 2 weeks left to get those entries submitted.

There hasn't been as much chatter as there was in previous years. I'm not sure we really needed to split up into two threads so I might consider keeping it to one thread for everything again next year. We'll see how it goes when the contest is over. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have really been impressed with the entries this year everyone! Just a reminder that we only have about 2 weeks left to get those entries submitted.

There hasn't been as much chatter as there was in previous years. I'm not sure we really needed to split up into two threads so I might consider keeping it to one thread for everything again next year. We'll see how it goes when the contest is over. 

I've added a bit about the contest in my sginature, too. And I've been trying to remind people about the contest. It's a shame Daz won't let us keep it in The Commons, as we get so much more exposure there. I'm sure there are people in the commons who would love to enter, but they have no idea this contest even exists. I've seen so many good renders in the Galleries that would be perfect entries in this competition, yet those artists aren't posting here... Why not?

Maybe next year, go ahead and split the two as you did this year, but put the discussion thread in The Commons. (Heck, maybe you could move this thread into The Commons now... After all, it is a discussion thread, not an image thread.)

If people don't mind seeing a WIP in the very early stage, here is what I am working on.

I have an idea for the repurpose category but will have to see if I have time to see it through.  I am converting a corset into a mesolithic village. I have the idea blocked out, but will see if the holiday travel schedule gets in the way.

My chosen item to repurpose is the Dark Embrace 3 corset.

My goal is to have two hunters carrying game along a worn path back to some stone age huts. 

Find below the corset morphed and with placeholders for textures and replicated primitives for grass and stones.

Is there enough time to clean up this mess?  We shall see.

If anyone cares about the workflow, I posted the outline here. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3152371/#Comment_3152371

• That's a cool idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like. :)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I for one like the direction that render is going Diomede

It's good to see the entries thread staying in the top third of page one, now. It's understandable people are busy the last two months of the year, but I admit I was getting a little worried until the past few days.

I decided to count the entries, and we have 64 (!!!) as of this moment, not including entries from a couple of guys, (gender neutral version,) who haven't attached the image to the post. They are:

If you see this, guys, please edit your posts and attach the images. angel

• L'Adair said:

It's good to see the entries thread staying in the top third of page one, now. It's understandable people are busy the last two months of the year, but I admit I was getting a little worried until the past few days.

I decided to count the entries, and we have 64 (!!!) as of this moment, not including entries from a couple of guys, (gender neutral version,) who haven't attached the image to the post. They are:

If you see this, guys, please edit your posts and attach the images. angel

Ah, thanks for catching that, L'Adair. I've been sick the last few days so getting on the forum has been sporadic at best. Yes, please. Make sure you include and attachment version of your entries, please. Thank you! smiley

• I updated mine and L'Adair taught me how to respond to a personal message from someone on the forum. Something I could never figure out. Thanks!

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Just had a thought - next year how about a "I've Posted in the Raining Men thread" (with link) badge we can add to our Signatures after we post the first entry, so it is advertised whenever we post?

• gerterasmusgerterasmus Posts: 287
    edited December 2017
    I haven't done anything in DAZ since last year's competition. Work has been insane the past year. I've bought some G8 characters and clothing and stuff through the year and was glad to see the competition back again this year. So, since the office closed 2 weeks ago for the holidays (aand still have 3 weeks to go), I figured I'd do something for the competition. My first render with G8, first render in DAZ10 with the new IRAY, so fingers crossed it works out. Don't know what DAZ did, but I can finally render 2 figures with high-ish sub-division, instead of just one. Will post entry as soon as it's done. Currently on 61.98% after 70 odd hours (what? I'm working on a 2 year old laptop ☺).
    Post edited by gerterasmus on
  • 3Ddreamer said:

Just had a thought - next year how about a "I've Posted in the Raining Men thread" (with link) badge we can add to our Signatures after we post the first entry, so it is advertised whenever we post?

That's an idea I'll think about. I might have to play with some badge ideas.

I haven't done anything in DAZ since last year's competition. Work has been insane the past year. I've bought some G8 characters and clothing and stuff through the year and was glad to see the competition back again this year. So, since the office closed 2 weeks ago for the holidays (aand still have 3 weeks to go), I figured I'd do something for the competition. My first render with G8, first render in DAZ10 with the new IRAY, so fingers crossed it works out. Don't know what DAZ did, but I can finally render 2 figures with high-ish sub-division, instead of just one. Will post entry as soon as it's done. Currently on 61.98% after 70 odd hours (what? I'm working on a 2 year old laptop ☺).

Well, there is about a week left. I think you might still have time to let it render. Looking forward to seeing whatcha got. :)

edited December 2017

Thanks for the encouragement, KM and Saphirewild.  Holidays got in the way, in a good way.  But I do have some time today to try to clean this up.  I saw the new Star Wars movie, so instead of being a stone age village, I've decided to repurpose the corset to be Luke's island in the movie, complete with a porg or two.  I have gotten as far as replacing the placeholder primitives with stones and grass.  Time keeps on slipping (slipping, slipping), into the future.  Hope I get enough done on Luke and the background cliffs/sky for submission.

edited italics

raining men test rener porg.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K
    raining men setup.JPG
    1699 x 1010 - 439K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Hi, everyone! Just a little reminder that there are only a few days left before the contest closes. Please make sure to enter if you haven't yet or do any final edits to anything you've already submitted. The contest ends at Daz on December 31. Be sure to get any entries in before 11:59 pm Sunday night Daz time.

Sorry I haven't been quite as active this year. Too many projects going on. I keep thinking I've forgotten something, but I swear I don't know what. So, I'm going through all of my notes to make sure I have all of the donor prizes listed. I would hate to find that I have forgotten anyone.

If you committed to any prizes, I'll be sending out a reminder tomorrow of what you need to do if anything. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow evening, please send me a PM to let me know that I might have accidentally missed you. Hopefully, those who committed to GCs were able to take advantage of recent sales.

Thank you, everyone, for participating. We have a lot of great entries. I'm sure we'll get even more before the contest closes.

• Slight delay on those PMs. I'll try to get them out tomorrow. I managed to injure one of my eyes and everything is blurry trying to read the forums or anything I write. It should be better tomorrow. Unfortunately, I've been through eye injuries like this before. It'll just take a little bit of rest where I'm not reading small print to fix itself.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

I was sort of hoping next year a Calendar Girl / Guy Pinup contest (could run concurrently with the It's Raining Men Contest) and it stick true to the ideal of a pinup art - I have an old book of 40s & 50s pinup art of the type starlets the used to do back then and most of us have seen the most modern pinups of french maids, sports Illustrated Swimsuits, rugby players and I'm sure other professionals too, usually done for charity. That would give the entrants a contrived premise with with to make the most realistic pinup style render they could and entrants could exchange tips. 

There could be categories such as french maids, bar maids, rugby players, soccer players, male superhero, female superhero, male legend (Kris Kringle), female legend (Mrs Kris Kringle - what is her name anyway?), and a decent long list of other professions although ultimately it might need to be limited to male & female categories for want of enough prizes for the multiplicity of professional niches.

I thought it'd be a good contest to show of the pure cabability of the render engine, DAZ Studio, and the models for realism, beauty, and for a few good laughs too.

• @nonesuch00  I actually think a contest of traditional, classic style pinups would be awesome. There's always something so special about that style. Will have to keep that idea in mind for the future.

Okay, everyone, I think I've PMd all prize donors your reminders. If I managed to miss you, please PM me. I think I got everyone, though, so check your PMs.  Thank you to all of our sponsors.  :)

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

So, I'm not sure if this render would be enough "man" for a contest entry? (Or if he would be considered the prominent subject)

I've just been having fun rendering this couple.

Michael7_05.png
    1143 x 1600 - 3M
    JamesJAB said:

So, I'm not sure if this render would be enough "man" for a contest entry? (Or if he would be considered the prominent subject)

Posing couples can be really challenging. You've done a great job here. I've no clue if it would qualify for this contest, but it's definitely a beautiful image.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    L'Adair said:
    JamesJAB said:

Posing couples can be really challenging. You've done a great job here. I've no clue if it would qualify for this contest, but it's definitely a beautiful image.

Well, I'll post it and see if it gets kicked off the island. :P

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,444

I am a sucker for Mike Mitchell. Don't let me anywhere near the judges.

• I am a sucker for Mike Mitchell. Don't let me anywhere near the judges.

There's open judging this year. Everyone gets a vote.  :)

• Just a reminder, everyone, the contest ends tonight. If you're going to go out partying, you should enter now before you head out. Contest closes around Daz midnight time which is Mountain Time Zone or UTC-07:00. You've got until I post the Contest Closed sign on the door.  :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

• gerterasmusgerterasmus Posts: 287
    edited December 2017

Got a pic I want to enter, but it rendered with some dead/hot pixels, like when a camera has hot pixels. Anyone have any idea how to remove it? 

Post edited by gerterasmus on
  • Blwyddyn Newydd Dda, Chohole!  :)

edited December 2017

Got a pic I want to enter, but it rendered with some dead/hot pixels, like when a camera has hot pixels. Anyone have any idea how to remove it? 

@gerterasmus, I don't know if this is your issue, but I discovered there are times when I'm rendering an image that it appears to have "fireflies" that get worse the longer the image renders. But they aren't fireflies, they are transparnt pixels. It becomes apparent when you open the image in a graphic program and play with the background color under the image. What appears to be white during the render will become whatever color is behind it.

If that is your problem, and the transparent pixels aren't too close together, you could set Draw Dome to On in the Render Settings->Environment and do a quick re-render. It doesn't need to be perfect. Now layer the two with the original image on top, and the redo on the bottom. Now the color from the bottom layer will replace those holes and will be pretty close to the right color. If necessary, flatten the image and do what ever your program needs to do to smooth those out.

That's all I've got. I hope this helps.

Post edited by L'Adair on