3rd Annual It's Raining Men Contest - Discussion Thread

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited November 2017

I assume that Rule 10 also prohibits the standard V4 male morph ? Or does it ?

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • I assume that Rule 10 also prohibits the standard V4 male morph ? Or does it ?

That's correct.  No male morphs on V4.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited November 2017

Are we allowed to substitute an improved version if we post in the images thread as long as the deadline has not been reached yet?  Some challeges allow it, and others not, so just asking for clarification

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Diomede said:

Are we allowed to substitute an improved version if we post in the images thread as long as the deadline has not been reached yet?  Some challeges allow it, and others not, so just asking for clarification

Yes, we allowed that last year and I don't see any reason to change that. Just replace the image you want to replace in the same post it's replacing. Whatever image is there when the contest closes, though, is the one that will be judged.

Thanks

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Are female mer-tales allowed or is that considered a female morph. Or is it clothing? They just didn’t make enough mer tales for the men.

• Are female mer-tales allowed or is that considered a female morph. Or is it clothing? They just didn’t make enough mer tales for the men.

Okay, I honestly don't know the answer to that. Let me look into that and I'll get back to you, SN. My first off the cuff assumption is that it would be like clothing, but I haven't really played with mertails enough to know other than I can never get them to work.

• @Diomede Don't forget your Carrara screenshot!  :)

• Is it permitted to change an entry to an NAE (and vice versa) in the entries thread ?

Thanks - fixed

@Diomede Don't forget your Carrara screenshot!  :)

• Is it permitted to change an entry to an NAE (and vice versa) in the entries thread ?

Yes, just keep in mind that however it's set when the contest closes is what I have to work with for the voting thread.

• Diomede said:

Thanks - fixed

@Diomede Don't forget your Carrara screenshot!  :)

Thanks!

• I have an idea for a render for this; perhaps I can get it done before the end of the year...

• Still plenty of time to enter! 

• Soooooooo.

Would this pole dance set and poses count as a "repurposed" female item?

• Still plenty of time to enter! 

Working on one now. Hopefully I don't get bogged down in details... wink

• Soooooooo.

Would this pole dance set and poses count as a "repurposed" female item?

You can definitely use the dance pole. I think props are more gender neutral even if they are marketed with poses for one specific figure.

Posing is a little murkier area. I don't think I'd count that as a repurposed item. Posing is one of those things that we all do to our figures and we all jump through a lot of hoops to get our character to sit, stand or recline how we want them to. Even if you used the female pose, you are going to have to tweak it a lot to get the pose to work with the figure it isn't meant to pose. So, use the figure and poses, tweak where you need to, but no I wouldn't put that in the repurposed category. I don't think it would fit.

My preference would be if you posed from scratch or used poses meant just for males but I'm not going to make that a rule. As someone who poses a lot, I know that poses like that are just to get you started so you don't have to do every little bend from scratch. It might get you close to the pose you need, but you'll have to do a lot tweaking to make your figure fit the pole to prevent awkwardness and poke through of the pole. So, even if you end up using poses meant for another figure, don't count that as being repurposed.

Repurposed should be a category with a lot of creative thinking to use a female object in ways that we don't expect. 

• I kind of figured they would be considered gender-neutral but wanted to make sure.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2017

Are female mer-tales allowed or is that considered a female morph. Or is it clothing? They just didn’t make enough mer tales for the men.

I had to ask someone who actually has some tales for the girls. I agree there isn't much for the guys. The only one I own is the one way back for M4 and I don't know of any newer products for the guys. My first instinct was to say no simply because I don't know how that will work. I don't have the product so I haven't tried it. Someone who has Laguna says she couldn't even get the tail to show up for G3M. I'm not going to say an outright no. If you can get the tale on a male without using a female clone first then I'd be interested to see what you can do with it. However, you need to do it without using a female figure as an intermediary.  Then, tell us all how to do that because I've been eyeing that Laguna set but I won't get it unless I can have some mermen to go with it.

It is especially frustrating, and another reason why I try to keep this contest alive, when there is such a large discrepancy in products for the men. Why there would be a newer set of mertails for a newer generation and yet we still don't have a matching set for the guys is extremely frustrating. We're already on another generation and as far as I know there were no tails for G3M. Apparently, mermaids don't need mermen.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

How do they model those tails? A geograft or do the just make a fancy skirt, position the hips, legs & feet, and change the limits on how the hips, legs and feet can be moved?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Apparently, mermaids don't need mermen.

The World According To DAZ.
    laugh

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited November 2017

I had to ask someone who actually has some tales for the girls. I agree there isn't much for the guys. The only one I own is the one way back for M4 and I don't know of any newer products for the guys. My first instinct was to say no simply because I don't know how that will work. I don't have the product so I haven't tried it. Someone who has Laguna says she couldn't even get the tail to show up for G3M. I'm not going to say an outright no. If you can get the tale on a male without using a female clone first then I'd be interested to see what you can do with it. However, you need to do it without using a female figure as an intermediary.  Then, tell us all how to do that because I've been eyeing that Laguna set but I won't get it unless I can have some mermen to go with it.

It is especially frustrating, and another reason why I try to keep this contest alive, when there is such a large discrepancy in products for the men. Why there would be a newer set of mertails for a newer generation and yet we still don't have a matching set for the guys is extremely frustrating. We're already on another generation and as far as I know there were no tails for G3M. Apparently, mermaids don't need mermen.

You can parent most Mertails and then shrink down the legs and use smoothing to get a better fit.

If you can't use Clones presumable all autofitted Female clothing is not permitted either?

Post edited by scorpio on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    scorpio said:

You can parent most Mertails and then shrink down the legs and use smoothing to get a better fit.

Or set the legs to invisible in render.

• scorpio said:

If you can't use Clones presumable all autofitted Female clothing is not permitted either?

I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid autofit from kicking in. It's one of those things that DS does kind of in the background. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    scorpio said:

I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid autofit from kicking in. It's one of those things that DS does kind of in the background. 

Import the item without selecting the character it's for. Then drag into place and parent. That should do it.

• Nath said:
    scorpio said:

Import the item without selecting the character it's for. Then drag into place and parent. That should do it.

You can also just cancel the AutoFit dialogue (which will parent the item to the figure but not modify it).

You don't have to worry about it. laugh

I won't bother with it. 

• Hmm, I've tried canceling when I've suddenly changed my mind about autofitting something and it always seems to still fit better than when I just parent the clothing item. I'm probably wrong, it just seems that way.

Serene - it still begs the question, will the tale fit? I'd love to know before I buy it. Of course, if any vendors are reading this .... We need tails for the guys!!!! Pronto!!! It would be awesome for G8M to have his own set of tails. I'd snap that up in heartbeat.

I will see. I’ve gotten mer tails to men previously so I think it’s possible. I’ve stopped requesting men’s content. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

If you just have the legs invisible and use smoothing the legs will distort the tail which is why I shrink the legs.

So can autofit be used to use female clothing on males?