WIP Thread for June New Users Contest.

Comments

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

diffusion gives you an effect like using a soft box or umbrella light in photography, its a softer more even light with out harsh shadows

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

diffusion gives you an effect like using a soft box or umbrella light in photography, its a softer more even light with out harsh shadows

I so wish DS had a Softbox light, Reality does, but I do not have the render time it takes for most of the stuff I render.
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

i wish i had a soft box in my lighting kit. I'm stuck using umbrellas. I was just messing around with my umbrella lamps a few mins ago, it was interesting the different lighting effects i could get with them. ( real world lights, not 3d)

• home and hearthome and heart Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

belovedalia, thank you for your kind comments. I would love to see a render by you, that's what this thread is all about, and what a better place to start than right here!

dalbelo, that is one really cool render. Love the softness of the shadows and the eyes, beautiful!

Would still like to learn more qbout the render settings:)

edited December 1969

Opps... Dialysis brain got me, it fled my head. Let me see what I have running around.

Test-3.jpg
    289 x 564 - 106K
    Test-2.jpg
    291 x 572 - 108K
    Test.jpg
    291 x 599 - 107K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Daz Studio 4, no postwork except signature

Portrait_2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 68K
  • FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited June 2012

Hello! I'm a newbie, been experimenting with Daz Studio for about 3 weeks to a month now, but I just found this contest. So, thought I'd give it a try. This is my work in progress, an idea I had. My take on Matt Murdock if he'd joined the X-men, but free of trademarks and copyrights. ;)

I used just Genesis with the Sample Jeremy texture, the Supersuit and used the Cobalt Crawler suit, then changed the colours and a couple of the morphs. It's the Dark Places: Sewer set, and I used two lights. One spotlight from the front and right, and one back-light from above and behind. I'm not sure if I should add a fill light from the left or not. I also wanted to use the headgear eyes without the mask or the earpieces but couldn't figure out how to do so, so I greyed out his pupils to simulate blindness.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

*Edit to add: Oh, I'm using Daz Studio 4 Pro. I'm too chicken to risk bugs in 4.5 yet. :)

Matt_2nd_Draft.jpg
    600 x 800 - 263K
    Post edited by Fobok on
    edited December 1969

This is my potential second entry. 'Boy on the Beach'. In this one, I used a lighting technique I found on Youtube, a Specular spotlight and Uberenvironment, with the Multiplane Cyclorama for the background. I was thinking of zooming this one in more, but given my lack of expression options, the longer pose seems to hold more emotion.

Boy_on_Beach.jpg
    600 x 800 - 220K
    edited December 1969

no worries jaderail, I often lose my brain. I'm sure it runs away from me. Thanks heaps for the settings, I'm off to play now.........

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:
    This is my potential second entry. 'Boy on the Beach'. In this one, I used a lighting technique I found on Youtube, a Specular spotlight and Uberenvironment, with the Multiplane Cyclorama for the background. I was thinking of zooming this one in more, but given my lack of expression options, the longer pose seems to hold more emotion.

Your Image

It's a good start, but I would try moving the background a bit to left or right, as it reacts peculiarly with his head. almost makes it look as though he is having a bad hair day, or has some strange sort of hat on.
  • FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

When is the dedline?

chohole said:
    "Beginning to see the Light"

(studying how light can make or break a render)

Render a portrait 800 high by 600 wide.

This thread is for you to post your WIP's in, to get feedback and critique, before entering them into the contest thread.

edited June 2012

Ooops sorry. Just added the date to the Contest thread

It is 29th June

Post edited by Chohole on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:

I really like the image. Are you trying to demonstrate a cloudy day or sunny day? If its a sunny day you may want to increase the intensity on your Uber light a little bit to show highlights and shadows from the sun. You also may want to fix the hand that's on the knee. The fingers are going into the knee. Your on a pretty good start. I think with those couple adjustments to would be a great image.

• FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
    edited June 2012

Hi

My first image.

Still got some work to do.

Eg setup the background.

The female is too perfect.

Also, a title.

This was created using Daz 4

Application: Daz 4 Pro
    Model: Genesis Female

Below is 2nd image with black backgeound.

Need to play around with light to create softer shadows.

Any comments

Hum12.jpg
    600 x 800 - 202K
    Hum9.jpg
    600 x 800 - 209K
    Post edited by Fhalo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips on the Boy on the Beach! I've done as suggested, adjusting the background, fixing his hand, and upping UberEnvironment's intensity a bit. I think it helped a lot. :) Any other suggestions, or think I should submit it to the contest in this form?

Boy_on_Beach_4th_Draft.jpg
    600 x 800 - 236K
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:
    Thanks for the tips on the Boy on the Beach! I've done as suggested, adjusting the background, fixing his hand, and upping UberEnvironment's intensity a bit. I think it helped a lot. :) Any other suggestions, or think I should submit it to the contest in this form?

Much improved.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Fobok1 said:

Yep, much better. Good job.

edited December 1969

Thank you! And thanks again for the help.

edited December 1969

THat's what we are here for. Glad to be of help

edited December 1969

I only have one thing to say at this time. WOW! All the renders have been so good and the updates are even better.

Okay, I have two things to say. I'm very glad I do not have to help judge this months contest.

edited December 1969

Okay, I upped the render settings per jaderail's advise. While most of the changes seem subtle, it has really brought out her eyes and the skin on the face is more luminous, so a big thank you! Should I submit it now, or do I need to do anything else?

four_b.jpg
    600 x 800 - 49K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Who says the key light has to come from the front?

Used 4 spotlights; the key light is opposite the camera & has an UberEnviroment volume cone (using the dust setting) attached to it. 2 fill lights coming from the left an right sides and the last spotlight is from the front & set to specular only illumination.

portrait_2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 156K
  • WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited June 2012

Jaderail said:
    A lighter (intensity) light and Shadow Softness might be the things to play with and see what you get.

I can definitely say it’s not as easy as it sounds. I’ve been playing around with lights for hours.

Anyway, here's my 2nd attempt for, "You're Breaking Up with Me?"
    Just changes in the lights of Daz Studio, no postwork.

I was looking at the color wheel on page 6. If I change the background color, should I base that decision on the color of her hair or skin. Or does the neutral background that I have now work best?

Lighting3.jpg
    508 x 607 - 167K
    Post edited by Wahil on
    edited December 1969

@Fhalo: I like the dark background best, Shadows are not bad but maybe a little work could help. I would change the eyes, they are plane.
    @wilmap: That is pretty good, but I think the upper sphere could stand with the intinsity turned down, you have washed out the hands texture.
    @home and heart: I think you are ready for prime time. That is one nice render. Post it is my advice.
    @BWSman: That's one nice idea for a lighting setup. Not sure it is really what the contest is about but I like it much.
    @Denny_L: Much better, softer and not harsh now. I think if you did the background the color oppisite of the hair it would look great.

edited December 1969

Thanks jaderail, and thanks to everyone for your help

edited December 1969

Ok, nobody commented on my newly-named 'Reckless' in its previous post, but I'm still hoping it's salvageable for my second entry, even if it may not end up as good as my first. If it's just too close to trademarks for the contest, I'll scrap it and do something new for my second entry.

So, I added in a fill light, and tightened the main spotlight to try to darken the background some. It gives the added effect that he's being caught in a flashlight.

Matt_6th_Draft_jpg.jpg
    600 x 800 - 230K
    edited June 2012

Fobok1 said:
    Ok, nobody commented on my newly-named 'Reckless' in its previous post, but I'm still hoping it's salvageable for my second entry, even if it may not end up as good as my first. If it's just too close to trademarks for the contest, I'll scrap it and do something new for my second entry.

So, I added in a fill light, and tightened the main spotlight to try to darken the background some. It gives the added effect that he's being caught in a flashlight.

For your BLIND effect you might wish to change the Opacity of the eye's Cornea a little bit. I do like the Lighting in this one much better. I never commented before because I had no idea untill now how to add to it any.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

After reading previous posts, I decided to play with lighting effects. This is the result, possible second entry. Any thoughts?

With the darkness comes the shadows

m_p_3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 35K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    For your BLIND effect you might wish to change the Opacity of the eye's Cornea a little bit. I do like the Lighting in this one much better. I never commented before because I had no idea untill now how to add to it any.

Thanks, great idea. Not going to spam the thread with another render already, but it does look much better with the cornea opacity up.

Home and heart: I can't speak to the technical level, I'm still too much of a newbie, but generally speaking that picture looks amazing to me.

edited December 1969

Home and Heart I think your Bump/Displacement is too high on this one. I do like the lighting. Is that a Fake Gel?