[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• Being able to see the HDRI background in the viewport will be nice. That's my biggest issue with using them in Iray.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited December 2017

Since you said it had passed final QC, do you have a rough ETA? 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489

Wow, I just went back to 3Delight because the scene I'm working on just looks awful in Iray. I'm thinking this new system of yours will help bridge the gap I've been struggling with.

• Being able to see the HDRI background in the viewport will be nice.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Am I seeing the HDRI background...in the background or am I seeing it in a little ball?

I'm using iray (non-live preview mode). And sets, like....oh, um...Magic World Creator has backdrops/domes that do not show up until render-time.

Would this have a mode where I could see them- in some form in the shaded preview screen?

I think I just got confused over this feature.

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    avxp said:

Being able to see the HDRI background in the viewport will be nice.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Am I seeing the HDRI background...in the background or am I seeing it in a little ball?

I'm using iray (non-live preview mode). And sets, like....oh, um...Magic World Creator has backdrops/domes that do not show up until render-time.

Would this have a mode where I could see them- in some form in the shaded preview screen?

I think I just got confused over this feature.

Yes, in preview mode ( OpenGL not Iray Interactive) you have a background sphere which displays the HDRI at the same scale as the Iray Dome, but does not show in the Iray render. Otherwise it would block the light. But when you switch to 3Delight it will show in the background by default.  The small preview sphere doesn't show in either render by default.

• Brings tears to my eyes whenever I see a vendor still supporting 3Delight. Anyone know about how long we have usually have to wait for release after products are accepted?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Brings tears to my eyes whenever I see a vendor still supporting 3Delight.

I hear youlaugh. Waiting is half the fun, right?

Nope. 

edited December 2017

Aw, sorry Cybersox.sad I did see your and ArkadySkies's question about ETA. Right now about all I can offer is a guess based on my past experience. It may be realistic to hope for December, then again it may be January. If Daz gives me a release date, that also will not be a guarantee. But things generally do not get pushed out much beyond the scheduled date and I will be sure to report here whenever I know more.

Post edited by Parris on
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Eagerly waiting to give you my money! That's exactly what I need.

Cybersox said:

Nope. 

blushGuess you're right, ok it sucks, how about that?

Eagerly waiting to give you my money! That's exactly what I need.

That's exactly what I really don't need, but I'll do it anyway.

Parris said:

Aw, sorry Cybersox.sad I did see your and ArkadySkies's question about ETA. Right now about all I can offer is a guess based on my past experience. It may be realistic to hope for December, then again it may be January. If Daz gives me a release date, that also will not be a guarantee. But things generally do not get pushed out much beyond the scheduled date and I will be sure to report here whenever I know more.

That's great.  I'm trying to make sure that I have the funds available for this when it comes out, but between these little things called relatives and the holidays, plus the never-ending sales DAZ and Rendo are both putting on... maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if it came out in January. 

Cybersox said:

Nope. 

blushGuess you're right, ok it sucks, how about that?

Much better. :) 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

You are saying a FX-8350 can render a 3DL scene with this product's lighting faster than a 980ti can render the equivalent scene in Iray???

So what would a modern Ryzen or Threadripper with double or more the core count do? It gives me chills just thinking about it (in a good way.) Have you had any testers with hardware like that?

And no, I do not have hardware like that. I have an i5 4690 with just 4 cores and 4 threads. I'm hoping to built a beefy machine in the next year or so.

edited December 2017

You are saying a FX-8350 can render a 3DL scene with this product's lighting faster than a 980ti can render the equivalent scene in Iray???

Yes, but I need to be careful here about context. The test results I showed here (see image) were the same after many, many test runs. However, we don't have physically based materials for 3delight yet, so there is no apples to apples with Iray renders that would have more calculations due to PB shaders. And someone else has pointed out that at that low sample rate of 16, the IBLM Light render is a little grainy. That being said, I think this will be quite a speed boost for those who don't have a beefy Nvidia system (meaning a system with the high Cuda Core count reccommended, like the 980TI) right now.

So what would a modern Ryzen or Threadripper with double or more the core count do? It gives me chills just thinking about it (in a good way.) Have you had any testers with hardware like that?

And no, I do not have hardware like that. I have an i5 4690 with just 4 cores and 4 threads. I'm hoping to built a beefy machine in the next year or so.

I have only tested on the 3 machines I have, the beefiest being the one I shared results from. But it seems logical to expect a faster CPU will give shorter render times.

IBLMaster_9.jpg
    2076 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Parris on
  • Dimension-ZDimension-Z Posts: 352
    edited December 2017

Great Product Paris! Gongrats!

What I want to ask...will it fix dark shadows of the objects? For what I'm more interested is about skin surfaces.

I mean fixes only the shadows of the object or the whole scene, so it boost up the white (burned) areas?

Thank you and good luck with your product!

P.S.

I'm iray user...

Post edited by Dimension-Z on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

So, this is where you've been for so long! Good for you, mate! As someone mentioned, this will give me, a dedicated Iray user, the 3Delight motion blur, which is great. But I mostly use hdri's for light rather than for backgrounds (that is, I turn Draw Dome and Draw Ground off). In light of this, are there any other benefits you can see this product giving me?

edited December 2017
    xyer0 said:

So, this is where you've been for so long! Good for you, mate! As someone mentioned, this will give me, a dedicated Iray user, the 3Delight motion blur, which is great. But I mostly use hdri's for light rather than for backgrounds (that is, I turn Draw Dome and Draw Ground off). In light of this, are there any other benefits you can see this product giving me?

Xyer0!!! I haven't forgotten your praise and encouragement in the BotMoto thread! Your words there played a valuable role in preventing me from giving up. So in a way, if people end up getting a lot out of this product, they have you to thank!

So to answer your question, I think the most important feature for dedicated Iray users is the core function of this product, which is to allow you to easily preview your HDRI as a small sphere in the 3D viewport in realtime (OpenGL). You can then rotate or translate that small sphere just as you would any other object or figure, and the Iray Environment (light and dome) will follow these commands. If, like most Iray HDRI users, you spend any kind of time trying to figure out which way the light (hotspot or hotspots) is pointing or where the background elements (Draw Dome on) will be, then this spells productivity gains for you. Less time trying to make cool stuff, more time just making cool stuff! The second feature of benefit is Boost Lights, which again spells productivity gains if you are trying to boost the light on your subject without bleaching the background, and you want the lighting direction of the added light to match the hotspot.

IBL Master in the 3D Viewport

Post edited by Parris on
  • djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

First time I can ever remember feeling excitement from reading a Daz PA commercial. That you figured out what was causing render speed slow-downs with UE2 alone is exciting to hear! I consistently use 3Delight + UE2, so the idea of a faster performing and higher degree of control IBL solution sounds great! Look forward to seeing it hit the store.

edited December 2017
    djigneo said:

First time I can ever remember feeling excitement from reading a Daz PA commercial. That you figured out what was causing render speed slow-downs with UE2 alone is exciting to hear! I consistently use 3Delight + UE2, so the idea of a faster performing and higher degree of control IBL solution sounds great! Look forward to seeing it hit the store.

Thank you for the compliment. But I should give credit where it is due. I didn't figure that out, the 3Delight team did. I reported it, I helped ferret things out by testing, but credit for the solution belongs to them.smiley

Post edited by Parris on
  • djigneodjigneo Posts: 283
    Parris said:
    djigneo said:

Thank you for the compliment. But I should give credit where it is due. I didn't figure that out, the 3Delight team did. I reported it, I helped ferret things out by testing, but credit for the solution belongs to them.smiley

I would find the specifics of the issue / resolution very interesting (and I'd expect others would as well). Any chance of some detail on that at some point?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 2017

I''m an IRAY fan, andwas never happy with my 3Delight results. (So unhappy that I have no images from my 3Delight days).

... This looks great, really great and way of getting the best out of both renders; I can combine parts rendered in different engines using the same light setups - that is priceless. I'm betting it will be a way of getting faster results.

Looking forward to parting with my cash.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

Wow!  Can I pre-order this?!  This sounds like a dream come true for me.  I am on a MacPro with AMDs so iRay is not even an option for me.  Can't wait to try this out and really glad 3DL isn't dead yet cause otherwise I don't know how I would be able to even use DAZ anymore at all.

• djigneo said:
    Parris said:
    djigneo said:

I would find the specifics of the issue / resolution very interesting (and I'd expect others would as well). Any chance of some detail on that at some point?

Seconding that =)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Being able to see the HDRI background in the viewport will be nice. That's my biggest issue with using them in Iray.

I would buy it for this alone but am very excited about the rest as well.  Now all I need is a product that will convert the 3DL skydomes to workable in Iray. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639
    Parris said:
    xyer0 said:

Xyer0!!! I haven't forgotten your praise and encouragement in the BotMoto thread! Your words there played a valuable role in preventing me from giving up. So in a way, if people end up getting a lot out of this product, they have you to thank!

So to answer your question, I think the most important feature for dedicated Iray users is the core function of this product, which is to allow you to easily preview your HDRI as a small sphere in the 3D viewport in realtime (OpenGL). You can then rotate or translate that small sphere just as you would any other object or figure, and the Iray Environment (light and dome) will follow these commands. If, like most Iray HDRI users, you spend any kind of time trying to figure out which way the light (hotspot or hotspots) is pointing or where the background elements (Draw Dome on) will be, then this spells productivity gains for you. Less time trying to make cool stuff, more time just making cool stuff! The second feature of benefit is Boost Lights, which again spells productivity gains if you are trying to boost the light on your subject without bleaching the background, and you want the lighting direction of the added light to match the hotspot.

You're too kind, and you're also too talented to let marketing setbacks dissuade you. Thanks for the graphic. Using the sphere to rotate the dome will be a convenient tool. Now, if someone can just improve the image quality of Daz's OpenGL implementation. BTW, BotMoto is a great product, and I find myself repeatedly using the white version of it because I want it to be seen.

• xyer0 said:
    Parris said:
    xyer0 said:

You're too kind, and you're also too talented to let marketing setbacks dissuade you. Thanks for the graphic. Using the sphere to rotate the dome will be a convenient tool. Now, if someone can just improve the image quality of Daz's OpenGL implementation. BTW, BotMoto is a great product, and I find myself repeatedly using the white version of it because I want it to be seen.

Not to hijack the thread, but what specific problem are you talking about? Feel free to message me so we don't clog up the thread with tangential discussions.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

looks great. 

i'm not a 3DL user, but the master control for iray looks like a real gamechanger of a tool.  sometimes i spend more time rotating my HDRs to get the lighting right than i do placing and posing everything else.

looking forward to the release!

j

edited December 2017
    jardine said:

looks great. 

i'm not a 3DL user, but the master control for iray looks like a real gamechanger of a tool.  sometimes i spend more time rotating my HDRs to get the lighting right than i do placing and posing everything else.

looking forward to the release!

j

Exactly! Me too. I spent quite a bit of time doing the same while I was working on Macro Eyes about a year ago. That's where this all started.

Post edited by Parris on