How do you switch between orbit and pan in the perspective cam?

BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
edited December 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

In the viewport when I am positioning an object, the camera rotational orientation switches between orbiting while pointing at the highlighted object, and rotating where the camera spins in a circle on its axis in one place. In Bryce choosing camera navigation was definate and defined, reverting to pan only if there was no object selected. In D|S There used to be a pop up that said to the effect of "hold LMB for orbit, RMB for pan" while spinning the cube. That does not work, and i don't see any camera navigational controls to replace it. Moving the object, using the 'point at' control helps me find the object, but I have no idea of its spatial orientation relative to another object- found only by orbiting the camera around the object- like positioning a null on an object. I'm getting irritated not being able to work as quickly because I have to move +/- x; move +/ -z; click point at, rinse and repeat.When you create an object, the camera has no eyes but for the object, but when there are multiple items in a scene the camera can't seem to decide which to focus on, even if one item is highlighted, and looks around the scene in utter confusion. It's amusing how big and bad DAZ Studio has become, with Iray and this new cloth deformer feature just introduced, and genesis models giving birth to a new generation every few years (did you know that Victoria 4 in less than five years has become, with Genesis, G2, G3 and now G8, a great-great-great grandmother? Only rabbits can breed that quickly), that a program ten years dead and gone does a better job with something so basic as navigating the workspace. Okay, I've had my comic rant... now, about that camera? How can I get that perspective cam to do what I want it to do when I want it to do it?

Post edited by Brycescaper on

Comments

• The modifier/mouse-button combos work for the little gizmos down the ede of the screen (and a tooltip pops up to remind you of them if you hover). The cube doesn't have any equivalents, as I recall.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited December 2017

@Brycescaper

did you know that Victoria 4 in less than five years has become, with Genesis, G2, G3 and now G8, a great-great-great grandmother? Only rabbits can breed that quickly

LOL I had to laugth hard about that comparison.

Did you read my post here? The single most useful feature needed in the next Daz Studio

I would use the Aim At Selection action default shortcut Ctrl+Shift+A - this works like the Point At Property but just once not continiusly - with the Perspective View and Cameras in a way that the possition of the current View stays as it was but it gets rotated to focus the current Selection in the Scene.

While on the other hand the Frame At Selection action default shortcut Ctrl+F doesnt rotate the View but does something like a Pan and a Zoom to center the focus to the selected node in the Scene. I have worked for years now with only using Frame At Selection Orbit and Pan with my customized Mouse Button Modifiers and had no problem with that.

I would suggest you to use the default or some customized Mouse Button Modifiers for the Viewport 3D navigation. I avoid to use the View Control gizmos in the corner and autohide it.

The Qube I think is quiet usefull (I like my findly Companion Qube™wink) - not just for orientation on which side your view is but I also like the Vantage function of clicking the Qubes sides Edges & Corners for to aligning the view. I think there is nothing wrong with the Qube.

Its a little screen gizmo Addon in DazStudio and also something similar exits in Poser to simplifiy the 3D Navigation for beginners. But I dont recomment you to use it all the time.

If I have to compare the DazStudios 3D navigation with other 3D software like Blender and ZBrush im my pipeline they all not just have different default controlls but also dont provide such little screen gizmo Addons.

So my first start with 3D software in common leads me to the conclusion that before I can work with all these sofware I have to learn at least one technic to control the 3D navigation and set them up almost the same in all 3D software if possible. The sometimes mindblowing shortcuts and 3D navigation modifier settings in ZBrush is another story but at least Blender and DazStudio are very customizable.

See my thread for more info: changing Mouse Button Modifiers

I've also added the post: Viewport Navigation Guide + My custom Mouse Button Modifiers to my thread

I belive I saw something similar years bevore but now I've created my own because after some posts and discussions that I've had in the last weeks I think there should be somethink like this with everything on one image.

I've also made a quick Google Search for: DazStudio mouse button modifiers

Camera Navigation

Carrara lets you directly manipulate the current camera by using the camera controls to track, dolly, pan, and bank the camera.

Use the camera controls to interactively adjust the position of a camera.

To work faster, you can move and orientate the camera with a 3-button mouse using the following shortcuts:

• Option/Alt + Left Mouse Button will rotate the camera (Dolly).

• Option/Alt + Right Mouse Button will Track the camera horizontally and vertically.

• Option/Alt + Middle Mouse Button will move the camera back and forth.

• If your mouse is equipped with a Mouse Wheel you can use it to move your camera back and forth.

I think as I once started with Daz Studio I found this - read half of the manual and realized that it was of Carrara not for Daz Studio.wink

But I like these shortcuts and I changed the Daz Studio Mouse Button Modifiers to that. Orbit: Alt+LeftMouse | Pan: Alt+RightMouse | Zoom: Alt+MiddleMouse

Vaskania August 2013

Son of a...

Almost 2 years and never knew that was possible. Never even noticed that option @ the bottom of the custo window. /slaps self
    Time to re-bind with Blender-style keys. Woot.

LK Posts: 23 August 2016 @ DAZ Studio Camera Controls via Keyboard and Mouse

default? Daz Studio: Mouse Buttom Modifiers ?

Ctrl+Alt+LMouse - Rotate Camera

Ctrl+Alt+RMouse - Move ? camera

Ctrl+Alt+MMouse - Zoom camera

• This is what I've found as I used the Documentaton Center Search:

Greetings

Syrus

SearchResult_MouseButtonModifiers_2.jpg
    907 x 347 - 121K
    Post edited by Syrus_Dante on