Iray Light Probe Kit - Support and render thread (Commercial)

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited December 2017

Thanks, Kindred! I ended up using the large room preset and it worked great. I didn't even need to adjust it. I had a few other lights in the scene and it blended very well, getting all those nooks and crannies that Iray has trouble with, just like you mentioned on your product page. Thank you SO MUCH for making this set! Pretty much an instabuy. I'm loving your Ghost Lights too, having lots of fun with those!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,230
    Llynara said:

Thanks, Kindred! I ended up using the large room preset and it worked great. I didn't even need to adjust it. I had a few other lights in the scene and it blended very well, getting all those nooks and crannies that Iray has trouble with, just like you mentioned on your product page. Thank you SO MUCH for making this set! Pretty much an instabuy. I'm loving your Ghost Lights too, having lots of fun with those!

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out without any issues. Feel free to share any renders, or pop back if you have any troubles. smiley

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Was going to wait on this but then decided I needed it now lol.  This looks to be another super useful product.  I use the ghost lights in almost every single render I do, but this will definitely make lighting those big spaces much faster!

Was going to wait on this but then decided I needed it now lol.  This looks to be another super useful product.  I use the ghost lights in almost every single render I do, but this will definitely make lighting those big spaces much faster!

Hey dragon! Sorry, i didn't spot you'd posted. Thank you for picking it up, i hope you enjoy it! smiley

• Heres an attempt at something. The overalll scene is lit with the light probe kit. Aside from a single point light the rest is done with ghost lights 2.

Untitled.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 941K

Heres an attempt at something. The overalll scene is lit with the light probe kit. Aside from a single point light the rest is done with ghost lights 2.

Great work AUN! I think the water came out especially well. That little fuzzy energy ball is neat too smiley

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited December 2017

This promo was finally released, so I can now share it. I used a combination of lights and your probes were a huge help! The character is Natalie by Brahann (available at Rendo.)

Natalie-Brahann_Llynara.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 571K
    Post edited by Llynara on
    Llynara said:

This promo was finally released, so I can now share it. I used a combination of lights and your probes were a huge help! The character is Natalie by Brahann (available at Rendo.)

Great job Llynara! I can tell you've put a lot of effort into the postwork, time well spent i'd say. Another member of the sympatico squad too, i've seen a few of you popping up around the forums and FB. Anyhoo, great character, great work, and best of luck to Brahann, she looks great. smiley

• Another member of the sympatico squad too, i've seen a few of you popping up around the forums and FB.

A "few." laugh

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2017

Finally had a chance to give this a try. I took a scene I had used when I first got ghost lights and replaced them with the light probes. The Tithe Barn has a large interior with only a few spots for light to enter from the outside, so it renders almost black in Iray. I had 7 ghost lights - some are in this room and some in an adjacent room,. I remember they took some time to place originally so I didn't bother moving them for this render. The light probe uses the large room pose. It was very fast to set up: added the prop, clicked on the pose, added the material to hide them, added color and intensity material presets, then scaled them to 188%. The iray probe render took 15 minutes which is good for a large interior room. I think I will be using this a lot as I do many interior scenes.

With ghost lights:

With iray probe:

Tithe Barn cam 19 with ghost lights.jpg
    1200 x 1000 - 1M
    Tithe Barn cam 19 with probe lights.jpg
    1200 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • I have this and it looks great-- is there a user's guide/pdf? I do really well with users' guides. it probably comes from going back to school too many times, but I'm stuck with it now. ;)

I have this and it looks great-- is there a user's guide/pdf? I do really well with users' guides. it probably comes from going back to school too many times, but I'm stuck with it now. ;)

There sure is, here you go.  smiley

• edited December 2017

Thank you SO MUCH!! Between that and this thread, I think it will work. Off to do Christmas scenes! :)

Post edited by anise_leinen_390fa63a2b on

Thank you SO MUCH!! Between that and this thread, I think it will work. Off to do Christmas scenes! :)

Hey no problem, good luck. You know where i am if you get stuck.

• tristanthorne1997tristanthorne1997 Posts: 241
    edited December 2017

Hi Kindred,

I'm struggling to unerstand lighting in Daz. I bought your product because it was one of the most opoular light kits on Daz3d. But I am getting zero results. Can you give a quick step by step as to how I get the lights to illuminate anything? Even when I just start with the MOST basic scene and load the probes and render, I see absolutely no difference than before I loaded the probes. Here's what I am doing:

1. Open brand New Scene

2. Add basic set like https://www.daz3d.com/west-park-committed where there are some dark spots.

3. Load a basic character like G8F.

4. Click ILPK Setup "Apply Before Presets" (Do I need to select anything before I click this?)

5. Load Spheres set for Small Room config.

Render.......nothing!

Change a few parameters like color presets, intensity presets.

Render....no visible difference!

The render I attached looks exactly the same before and after I load your product.

Please provide some guidance? Thank you!! 

Corridor.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 741K
    Corridor2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 710K
    Post edited by tristanthorne1997 on

Hi Kindred,

I'm struggling to unerstand lighting in Daz. I bought your product because it was one of the most opoular light kits on Daz3d. But I am getting zero results. Can you give a quick step by step as to how I get the lights to illuminate anything? Even when I just start with the MOST basic scene and load the probes and render, I see absolutely no difference than before I loaded the probes. Here's what I am doing:

1. Open brand New Scene

2. Add basic set like https://www.daz3d.com/west-park-committed where there are some dark spots.

3. Load a basic character like G8F.

4. Click ILPK Setup "Apply Before Presets" (Do I need to select anything before I click this?)

5. Load Spheres set for Small Room config.

Render.......nothing!

Change a few parameters like color presets, intensity presets.

Render....no visible difference!

The render I attached looks exactly the same before and after I load your product.

Please provide some guidance? Thank you!! 

I'm here for you famalam. Before i can help you with light set ups though, please turn off your auto headlamp. Go to the Render tab - General - Auto headlamp - NEVER. Having your headlamp on full beam makes everything look like sadness, get rid asap. After that, do another quick render and let me know whats going on, we can move on from there. 

• Wow, that was fast! Ok, I am trying it now.......

• Ok, I cleared out everything and started from scratch to make sure there were no other lights loaded. Added a character and just one room with four walls and a ceiling. Made sure Auto Headlamp was set to Never.

Loaded the spheres, set to Small Room, and chose 6 spheres with Intensity of 700.

I'm not seeing any difference.

Moved spheres around room, changed Intensity to 900. 

Nada...sadness....

Running a couple errands, back in an hour to hopefully see new advice. Thanks again!

Before.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 652K
    After.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 672K
    After - 2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 712K

Ok, I cleared out everything and started from scratch to make sure there were no other lights loaded. Added a character and just one room with four walls and a ceiling. Made sure Auto Headlamp was set to Never.

Loaded the spheres, set to Small Room, and chose 6 spheres with Intensity of 700.

I'm not seeing any difference.

Moved spheres around room, changed Intensity to 900. 

Nada...sadness....

Running a couple errands, back in an hour to hopefully see new advice. Thanks again!

Ok, there's definately witchcraft at play here. I replicated your scene, loaded the probes, applied the small room pose, applied the ILPK SETUP, changed the intensity to 400 and tada, image 3. I need to hit the hay, i'm on UK time here, but just double check you are following the steps to a tee...

1. Load ILPK into your scene

2. Pose the probe group however you wish (like you've done above)

3. Apply ILPK SETUP to the probes.

This absoluetly should give you at least some sort of feedback.

Just another note before i go actually - You are rendering in photoreal right? My lights don't work in interactive rendering mode, only photometrics do. Go to the Render tab again, go to Render Mode and make sure its set to photoreal.

Anyway, i really need to scoot. Let me know what happens and i'll pick it up in the morning. There's other people that lurk this thread too, so they might be able to help you while i'm gone. Good luck!

T1.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    T2.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    T3.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • WooHoo! God Bless The Queen!

That worked. I knew it had to be something simple. I was applying the "Apply Before Presets" Material before I loaded the lights. I just thought you were supposed to do that first, thinking maybe it cleasred out other lights or something. Anyway, I loaded the lights, then the Apply Before Presets, and THEN applied presets, and it worked! 

Well, now I'm off to buy both of your Ghost Light Kits since I see how awesome your products are and how you provide such great support.

Happy New Year!

After - 3a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 719K

WooHoo! God Bless The Queen!

That worked. I knew it had to be something simple. I was applying the "Apply Before Presets" Material before I loaded the lights. I just thought you were supposed to do that first, thinking maybe it cleasred out other lights or something. Anyway, I loaded the lights, then the Apply Before Presets, and THEN applied presets, and it worked! 

Well, now I'm off to buy both of your Ghost Light Kits since I see how awesome your products are and how you provide such great support.

Happy New Year!

Ayy, glad you got it figured out. Best of luck, many thanks for your purchases, and be sure to come back if you need anymore help.

... Oh, and of course, God Save the Queen.

• Hi Again...couple more questions. Ok, three more questions.

1. I assumed that Show Probes was just available so you could position the probes. I didn't think rendering with Show Probes on instead of Hide Probes would actaully change the light of the scene. Here's an example with Show Probes vs. Hide Probes. (The probes themselves are placed just outside the Aspect Frame) Why does the Show Probes render give the character such a shiny skin?

2. Can you assign different Intensity and/or Color Presets to each individual probe?

3. Is there a separate thread like this one for you Ghost Light products? I'm going to start playing with those tonight.

Show Probes.jpg
    741 x 743 - 614K
    Hide Probes.jpg
    741 x 743 - 588K
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I'm not K.A., but I can answer these questions pretty easily:

1. I assumed that Show Probes was just available so you could position the probes. I didn't think rendering with Show Probes on instead of Hide Probes would actaully change the light of the scene. Here's an example with Show Probes vs. Hide Probes. (The probes themselves are placed just outside the Aspect Frame) Why does the Show Probes render give the character such a shiny skin?

The reason for the shininess is that you now have a large, visible light source in the scene and skin, as well as the majority of other object, is reflective.  Note that the black parts of your character's shirt are glossier too.

2. Can you assign different Intensity and/or Color Presets to each individual probe?

Yep.  Just select the individual probe or probes that you want to alter and select the surface tab.  You canchange the color or intensity there.

3. Is there a separate thread like this one for you Ghost Light products? I'm going to start playing with those tonight.

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/168206/iray-ghost-light-kit-2-render-and-support-thread-commercial/p1

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137231/iray-ghost-light-render-and-support-thread-commercial/p1

• You're the best, Cybersox! Thank you!

Hi Again...couple more questions. Ok, three more questions.

I can't really add to what cybersox said, so i wont. Happy new year! smiley

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I'm still leaning heavy on this product.

Thank goodness I added it to my arsenal.

My new two pushes are Edit/Duplicate to double the probes in a tighter configuration.

And scaling up the probes. There's a lot of cool things to be done with the iray light probes.

Well done.

**** My next product suggestion?

Please make some kind of spotlight.

Some kind of....iray spotlight.....

The Godrays are awesome and the Emission Profile is awesome.

This is the product I want, but in iray.

https://www.daz3d.com/advanced-spotlight

Any idea how to do this?

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Is it possible to make a CONE prop and have it's material be some kind of translucent...foggy type shader that has a probe like thing in the middle that casts light?

Basically a 3D spotlight that we can scale and move around?

avxp said:

I'm still leaning heavy on this product.

Thank goodness I added it to my arsenal.

My new two pushes are Edit/Duplicate to double the probes in a tighter configuration.

And scaling up the probes. There's a lot of cool things to be done with the iray light probes.

Well done.

**** My next product suggestion?

Please make some kind of spotlight.

Some kind of....iray spotlight.....

The Godrays are awesome and the Emission Profile is awesome.

This is the product I want, but in iray.

https://www.daz3d.com/advanced-spotlight

Any idea how to do this?

That's a tricky one. The point of my diffuse light series is speed, and i don't think i could make a directional light any quicker than the stock photometric spot lights in studio. I will keep it in mind because there is a way to do this in a diffuse only manner, but i would need to test if there is a speed advantage to them over the alternatives already on the market. Thanks for the question Avxp, i'll see what i can do.

• I second this. I am r/n rendering a scene with grated windows and the sandstrom preset from Iray Storm and I was hoping for a few tentative streaks of light, but alas...

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

I picked up a couple of these probe sets, since they looked very handy.  Thanks for all the good tips and examples in this thread!