Iray Light Probe Kit - Support and render thread (Commercial)

13»

Comments

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    "Having your headlamp on full beam makes everything look like sadness..." Made me lol. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been away for a year and discovered one day during that that mesh lights don't emit light when invisible now. Does this product (I own Ghost Lights and haven't checked - probably should have checked :p) suffer from the same problem now? Thanks in advance!
    Apparently the Daz forums don't like paragraphs on my phone. Sorry for the clump of text :p
  • Ghost lights aren't (quite) invisible - that's the trick, they have a very low but non-zero Cutout Opacity so that they emit light but aren't visible (however, the trick doesn't seem to work with negative lights).

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,231
    Saiyaness said:
    "Having your headlamp on full beam makes everything look like sadness..." Made me lol. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been away for a year and discovered one day during that that mesh lights don't emit light when invisible now. Does this product (I own Ghost Lights and haven't checked - probably should have checked :p) suffer from the same problem now? Thanks in advance!

Richard's pretty much covered it, but ghost lights are still fine, just use the presets and dont hide the mesh in the scene tab. Glad you're back saiy! smiley

edited March 2019

Thanks, guys!!! XD

2vezxx.jpg
    535 x 466 - 44K
    Post edited by Saiyaness on
  • ooofestooofest Posts: 36
    edited May 2019

Ghost lights aren't (quite) invisible - that's the trick, they have a very low but non-zero Cutout Opacity so that they emit light but aren't visible (however, the trick doesn't seem to work with negative lights).

I place a small, fully black image (i.e., full mask) into the Cutout Opacity channel to completely block mesh lights from view (not their emissions, of course.)  That seems to work reliably, at least.

@KindredArts: this is a cool looking product and could save a lot of lighting setup time for my scenes: I happen to use Daz Octane renderer plugin at least as much as Daz' native Iray and am curious if these probes are mesh-based, please.  If so, that would make them very easy for me to convert into Octane emission sources, as well.

EDIT: KindredArts was kind enough to confirm that their spheres are, indeed, mesh lights.  So, these could easily work with Octane renderer for Daz (i.e., just convert the meshes to emitters within the Octane plugin inside the Materials tab, which is a fast and simple, one-time step)

Post edited by ooofest on
  • inthanityinthanity Posts: 89

Thanks @KindredArts, this is a cool product,

One question (and I imagine I'll have more as I employ this light kit) - are the probes supposed to cast their own shadows upon surfaces? I have no other light sources in my scene and I can see the circular shadows from the spheres on walls, etc..

Thank-you.

• ohenryohenry Posts: 5

Has anyone used this product in version 4.15? I just got it off fast grabs and I cannot seem to get it to work.  It does not seem to emit any light.

• Note Product does not illuminate the Iray preview screen.  It only illuminates in actual final renders.

• Hi @KindredArts,

this is a great product and I enjoyed it very much.

It worked fine in Daz Studio 4.16, but in 4.16. Beta and the new 4.20 SW there seems to be a problem wit Iray rendering. 

If I hide the Probes, they do not emit any light anymore. Not in the Viewport, nor in the final render. And if I don't hide it, the probes are fully visible in both, the viewport as well as the rendering. 

Any advice, how to hide the probes and still keep the light emission? Is this a Daz Studio bug or do I miss anything on how to use the probes.

Thanks,

Micle

• 3track3track Posts: 1

mclv_1999 said:

Hi @KindredArts,

this is a great product and I enjoyed it very much.

It worked fine in Daz Studio 4.16, but in 4.16. Beta and the new 4.20 SW there seems to be a problem wit Iray rendering. 

If I hide the Probes, they do not emit any light anymore. Not in the Viewport, nor in the final render. And if I don't hide it, the probes are fully visible in both, the viewport as well as the rendering. 

Any advice, how to hide the probes and still keep the light emission? Is this a Daz Studio bug or do I miss anything on how to use the probes.

Thanks,

Micle

I'm having the exact same problem. Worked fine until 4.20. I use ILPK in just about all my renders...so this is frustrating to say the least. That and the issue with the workspace no longer saving properly is having a serious impact on my workflow. And of course downgrading to a previous version of Daz is nearly impossible. Sigh.

• Matt_BrownMatt_Brown Posts: 173

3track said:

mclv_1999 said:

I'm having the exact same problem. Worked fine until 4.20. I use ILPK in just about all my renders...so this is frustrating to say the least. That and the issue with the workspace no longer saving properly is having a serious impact on my workflow. And of course downgrading to a previous version of Daz is nearly impossible. Sigh.

There is a ghost light issue with DAZ 4.20. The light output is now affected by the opacity. Basically, when the mesh is almost invisable so now is the light!

A few people have posted work arrounds, and I believe Kindred Arts is working hard on a permant fix. Hopefully within a couple of weeks all this will be sorted...

• jays222jays222 Posts: 10

Hi @kindredArts, I also cannot get Iray light probes to work in Daz 4.20. At first show/hide did not work, then after switching viewport to Iray render, they showed up. But now they do not emit much (or any?) light unless they are visible. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Do we know if Daz is aware of the issue if it indeed is a Daz 4.2 "problem"?I can't seem to find this product in the shop anymore - will you still be selling and supporting this product?