Luxus discussion

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited April 2013

I do my best to help out. I am a freelance programmer so I have other things a have to do.

I am not an artist, so I am a little handicapped in that regards.

And yes, I am the programmer of Luxus.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I do my best to help out. I am a freelance programmer so I have other things a have to do.

See? Quick responses. I knew you were lurking in here somewhere, Spheric! Kudos on the plugin, btw. I am obsessed with it and now I sleep very little. That's your fault :)

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

chsmo said:
    chsmo said:
    I'm rendering through the LuxRender GUI and my image is pretty noisy. The image attached was rendered with 5 lights, tone-mapping set at Reinhard/non-linear and a render time of 1 hour.

Are there tricks to clean the image up? I've tested all other tone-mapping settings and they are way too bright. Adding lights also results in noisy, but brighter images.

I think I'm not understanding something on a basic level because the images posted so far are pretty clean compared to my grainy look.

Thanks

LuxRender will remain 'grainy' for a little while. It renders until you tell it to stop. The longer it runs, the less noise you will have in your image. :)

TY for such a quick response! I'm aware that renders continue until they are stopped. I just expected a render that took an hour to be less noisy than this. I thought I had done something (or not) to cause this grain issue.

So if I understand correctly, this is the norm when rendering with Luxrender and renders will take 1+ hours to look decent?

They can yes. I know some people who let them run overnight or longer, depending on what they are rendering. (Specular, reflections etc...). LOL Being an impatient person like I am, this is one thing I have had to get used to. Others with a bit more experience in settings may have some further insight as well.

I usually run mine while I sleep, and at work. Usually after a few days it's good enough. lol. Preview time is good after about an hour or so. But I'm on a dual core machine with a 5+yr video card. lol

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

I hope that doesn't hurt future support for Luxus when daz 10.5 releases ;)

edited December 1969

It won't be a problem whenever that happens. Although 10.5 could be in 10 years.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2013

::HUG!:: Appreciate it! Learning to be an artist is really easy with DAZStudio, but it's can be a huge time-sink, so you might wanna stick to programming. Still, if you wanna give it a shot, let us know. :coolsmirk:

It won't be a problem whenever that happens. Although 10.5 could be in 10 years.
    Just don't say the "s"-word and it should be fine.
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Well ... I don't know who the creator is (the field is empty), but the first product has shown in the store with Luxus settings:
    http://www.daz3d.com/wine-me

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited April 2013

Kerya said:
    Well ... I don't know who the creator is (the field is empty), but the first product has shown in the store with Luxus settings:

And it looks good!! Thank you for sharing the link Kerya :kiss:
    And it's creator is Dumor3D: Online documentation

I'm still reading this thread and learning... there's so much here I learned already! And not only about Luxus and Lux. ;)

Love, Jeanne

Post edited by Jeanne M on
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    Kerya said:

And it looks good!! Thank you for sharing the link Kerya :kiss:
    And it's creator is Dumor3D: Online documentation . . .
    Slam-dunk into the cart!
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,493
    edited April 2013

Yikes, 97 pages to browse through, I ask my querstion hoping I'll get an answer.

The only texture issue I've experienced with Luxus is that some materials (and I havent found any common point between them) renders as Shiny Grey. Somethimes I've fixed it by turning down a reflections, but is there any "Do this" quick fix to easy find whats wrong.

Last render it was Blondie-9999 chelsea-boots (some of the material zones), B999 Sushi tray and some of the sushi pieces, the rest of the scene had translated well.

Post edited by Totte on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Sounds like they are translating with a very high specularity in Lux. You could try adjusting that down.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited April 2013

Kerya said:

Cool! This one is coming soo...er, presently as well.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20925/

For whatever my 2 cents are worth on a previous topic, I much prefer the Luxus plug in over Reality. I find Luxus muxh more flexible, easier to save custome matererials, and it works in the comfy DS surfaces tab.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Yikes, 97 pages to browse through, I ask my querstion hoping I'll get an answer.

The only texture issue I've experienced with Luxus is that some materials (and I havent found any common point between them) renders as Shiny Grey. Somethimes I've fixed it by turning down a reflections, but is there any "Do this" quick fix to easy find whats wrong.

Last render it was Blondie-9999 chelsea-boots (some of the material zones), B999 Sushi tray and some of the sushi pieces, the rest of the scene had translated well.

Yeah, definitely must be the specularity. I am only guessing that the Chelsea boots were shiny because the regular version is a glossy leather, and the sushi as well.

Try one of two things: Either change the specular color to something darker, starting with 50% gray. That will tone down the glossy reflection and should be a good first step. Or, adjust the IOR to something more relevant to your material. It defaults to zero, I believe. A setting of 1 is plain air, 1.33 is water, and 1.45 is skin. I would try the 1.45 since leather is essentially skin. Then, with either method described here, you can adjust the roughness U and V. The default is .1, which is just above super shiny like diamonds. Skin or leather would show better at around .4

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,493
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Totte said:

Yeah, definitely must be the specularity. I am only guessing that the Chelsea boots were shiny because the regular version is a glossy leather, and the sushi as well.

Try one of two things: Either change the specular color to something darker, starting with 50% gray. That will tone down the glossy reflection and should be a good first step. Or, adjust the IOR to something more relevant to your material. It defaults to zero, I believe. A setting of 1 is plain air, 1.33 is water, and 1.45 is skin. I would try the 1.45 since leather is essentially skin. Then, with either method described here, you can adjust the roughness U and V. The default is .1, which is just above super shiny like diamonds. Skin or leather would show better at around .4

OK, thx, this is the first time this has happened with materials without specularmaps, otherwise this seems to be difficult, even if you tone down as the map will give high values. It is probably the IOR as the specularity was set down to 15% and it still kept rendering greyish.

edited April 2013

Well, I am running tests on specularity right now, coincidentally. What I am learning is that your specularity percentage in DAZ materials is not translated properly to lux materials. The lux spec color is actually the same control as the percentage in daz. So, if your percentage was 15% in daz, then set the spec color in lux to 40,40,40. This should make a big difference in overall specularity. That's if you leave IOR alone.

If you add IOR, set the color to 128,128,128 then set IOR to 1.45 with roughness at .20 for U and V. Try that and tell me what you think.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Any word on the next update?

edited December 1969

Soon.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Nooooooo. Not the S word!

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nooooooo. Not the S word!

Be patient guys, spheric is a busy person and will get the update out when its ready.

• Citizen217Citizen217 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Can't find LuxRender.exe anywhere! I have Luxus listed among my other plugins, I have LuxRender via LuxRender, but I have no exe file. I made search on my computer without results. I downloaded and installed 15891_DS4_Luxus_1.0.0.4_Win32.exe and 15891_DS4_Luxus_1.0.0.4_Win64.exe in appropriate directories. Are there any ideas what I have to do to run LuxRender? Where this file may be?

edited December 1969

Can't find LuxRender.exe anywhere! I have Luxus listed among my other plugins, I have LuxRender via LuxRender, but I have no exe file. I made search on my computer without results. I downloaded and installed 15891_DS4_Luxus_1.0.0.4_Win32.exe and 15891_DS4_Luxus_1.0.0.4_Win64.exe in appropriate directories. Are there any ideas what I have to do to run LuxRender? Where this file may be?

Luxus is a link between the Studio and LuxRender. You probably want this:
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

Here is the Luxus Readme with a link to the manual
    -> http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

Actually, I think you're looking for the Lux Render folder, not the .exe file. That was driving me crazy earlier.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited April 2013

mjc1016 said:
    Kattey said:
    Rareth said:
    Kattey said:
    Anybody had the problem when after using Luxus and switching back to regular 3Dlight DS stucks on "optimization of textures" part if any other shader (uberSurface, pwSurface) were later applied?

you might try saving the scene, closing DAZ and then relaunching it.

Yes, I did that but it is uncomfortable
    Is this is a known issue?

Don't know if it is a 'known issue', but DS can do that switching between Scripted 3Delight and regular renders, too...there are two possible causes that spring to mind and restarting DS takes care of both. The first is tdlmake 'hangs'...this means it gets stuck on converting one image and won't move on to the next. The other is tdlmake 'loops', for some reason it repeatedly converts the same image. If you stop the render and have some means of finding and killing the running tdlmake and then clear the temp folder, you can try again, without having to restart DS...but you will need something other than TaskManager to do so (something like Process Explorer...it shows all the child processes and allows them to be stopped individually)...basically everything shutting down and restarting DS does.

Just letting you know, the DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.2.40) seems to have finally fixed this issue for me.
    3Delight also seems to render quicker.

Post edited by FusionLA on
  • DrakenhawkeDrakenhawke Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

I am not seeing Luxus anywhere in DS4.5, although Install Manager says Luxus content is installed (but only 2.9 MB of content is installed).
    I've noticed that there is more content "not" installed in the "products library" of my accounts. Also, the link with DIM next to it does not download through Install Manager. Is there a valid reason why this is so. Is there a .pdf file I can download that can allow me to properly install this plug-in outside of DIM? It looks to be an amazing tool to get the images I want, but I am at a loss on how to install and access it. :question:

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You need to install the plugin manually, DIM does not install applications or plugins, ONLY content.

Download the plugin from My Account > Product Library, type Luxus into the search box, and then hit filter or return to see the downloads on the right hand side.

edited April 2013

Single Distant light (sun sky2), Auto Linear, twelve hours, smidge over 400 S/p. Normally I'd do some postwork (a quick contrast mask) to lighten up the shadows a bit, but this time I set up a white plane-primitive to bounce light towards the scene, like the opposite buildings and things in the street would do normally. This morning I tried to postwork it, but nothing I could come up with looked better than the base render! :ohh:

Tourist Sitting in a Shaded Alcove

PCI20130423-TouristSittingShadedAlcove-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    screenshot.27-04-2013_14_.27_.51_.jpg
    1682 x 1018 - 650K
    screenshot.27-04-2013_20_.19_.39_.jpg
    1020 x 817 - 188K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • Citizen217Citizen217 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Luxus is a link between the Studio and LuxRender. You probably want this:
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/standalone

Here is the Luxus Readme with a link to the manual
    -> http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

Thank you. It works now.

edited December 1969

Luxus 1.0.0.5 is available in your accounts.

Changes:
    -> Projection Lights now work.
    -> Render Settings now save and load with the file according to the preferences set in DAZ Studio
    -> Added option to override the Light Group name
    -> Strength texture maps no longer get gamma corrected. This fixes the hair too transparent problem.
    -> Collect textures now allows the user to choose the format. In windows, LuxRender is having problems with some tiffs. The default is now png.
    -> LuxRender Material Extra Settings now has an editor called "Luxus Extra Script Edit" that by default will show up in the Surfaces Option Pane.
    -> The Extra Settings Fields now allows javascript scripting in a eval { } block. A Lux object exists in that context.See s few examples below.

Get started with:
    eval { Lux.addEvalLine("I wrote to the lxs file"); }

Other Functions include:
    Lux.getValue("Diffuse Color");
    Lux.getMap("Diffuse Color");
    Lux.addEvalLines(lines);
    Lux.writeValue(var);

Javascript read function are available such as include, so the following can be done to use a lbm2 file
    eval{
    var v = include("/data/CJ/AlienEgg.lbm2");
    Lux.writeValue( v );
    }

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update! Sounds like some great improvements, though I'll have to scratch my head over using the javascript part :)

Attempt (around) 20 to post this!

edited December 1969

I'm very happy to see the update! I have a render going now, but will be glad that render settings save. Hard to remember what I had set, sometimes. Thank-you.

This discussion has been closed.