• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Ok cheers

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Slosh said:
    vwrangler said:
    If possible, would anyone be able to tell me what Lux is trying to tell me with the following:

[2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Shape #19 (mesh): Mesh: splitting 400 quads
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Loading texture: 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_030.tif'...
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Memory used for imagemap 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_030.tif': 3072KBytes
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Loading texture: 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_03B0.tif'...
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 2] FreeImage error, format: TIFF: 'Unable to handle this format: bitspersample = 8, samplesperpixel = 65535, photometric = 1'
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Error: 4] Image unsupported
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Memory used for imagemap 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_03B0.tif': 0KBytes
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Shape #20 (mesh): Mesh: splitting 256 quads
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Reusing data for imagemap 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_030.tif'
    [2013-04-18 00:47:04 Info: 0] Reusing data for imagemap 'aandras-luxustest-01_files/PA_AandrasHead_03B0.tif'
    [2013-04-18 00:47:05 Info: 0] Shape #21 (mesh): Mesh: splitting 768 quads

(I tried using the code thing, but it broke the forum.)

The .TIFs are, of course, made by the render engine; the source images are all JPG.

I get that error no matter what I do, but depending on what I did before I sent it to Lux, the results are very different.

If I use Luxus to convert Aandras' texture to Lux materials (I've only tried converting to glossy translucent without volume so far), two things happen:
    1) The first time I try to render him in a given session, his head -- Lip, Nostril, SkinFace -- and only his head come out glossy and shiny, as though he's wearing a glass mask.
    2) I quit Lux, try and fail to find the difference between his head and other textures, try to render again, and get a completely grayscale, slow to render (even for Lux) image. Unfortunately, I overwrote it, or I'd show it here.

If I leave his textures completely alone, do absolutely nothing to them, don't convert to Lux materials with Luxus, don't do anything at all ... I get the same error message, but he comes out pretty much completely fine. Completely repeatable, no matter what I do. No immediately visible issues at all. He doesn't have Human Surface or Ubersurface or anything but the DAZ Default shader, whatever that is.

To the extent that I understand the error message, I *think* Lux has issues with his facial bump map. Something's going wrong with how Lux converts the file maybe? But it's the same thing every time, only it can handle it better when the materials are unconverted by Luxus first. What it is, I can't tell, and I'm really baffled why it would be so much worse when he's converted to Lux materials with Luxus than when I leave him alone. I mean, I'm perfectly happy to leave him be, but it would be nice to have a clue what's happening.

My first thought was to tell you that maybe Lux doesn't work with 8 bit .tif files, because I am using .tif files in a current render and I get no such error messages, but my .tifs are 16 bit. Did you try converting the .tif to .jpg or .bmp? Maybe that would help get rid of the error and might solve the gray issue, too. Just a suggestion, I really don't have any idea.

I was having the same prob;em with some tiffs that luxus could not seem to create properly and I got a copy of a trial Luxus which sorted it out. I don't know whether the latest update includes that or not.
    I was also having this problem. I'm assuming your using the collect the textures option. If so once the render starts up in Lux, save and exit. Then re-save the problem .TIFs Luxus has created in something like PhotoShop or PaintShopPro. That should fix the issue. You can restart in Lux now but if you restart in DS again Luxus will overright your fixed up files again when you transfer to Lux and you'll be back at square one.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

I have a question. For LuxRender, which do I download?

download.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 418K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I am assuming you want to use the material pictured? Or are you still in the stage where you are trying to get Luxus and LuxRender installed and running? I noticed that you just got into this game this morning, so I wasn't sure if you managed to get everything installed.

If you are just talking about getting the orange juice material to work in DS, none of those options you circled will work directly as downloaded. They are files created for the Blender version of Lux.

So, to answer your question, download the first one (LXM). Once you have it on your machine, open the material in a text editor like Notepad (on Windows). Copy all of the text and go to Daz Studio. Go to the material in Surfaces Tab that you want to apply the material to and paste the text into the "Extra Settings" box, which should be at the type of the material settings on right-hand side. Now it should render in LuxRender.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

I am assuming you want to use the material pictured? Or are you still in the stage where you are trying to get Luxus and LuxRender installed and running? I noticed that you just got into this game this morning, so I wasn't sure if you managed to get everything installed.

If you are just talking about getting the orange juice material to work in DS, none of those options you circled will work directly as downloaded. They are files created for the Blender version of Lux.

So, to answer your question, download the first one (LXM). Once you have it on your machine, open the material in a text editor like Notepad (on Windows). Copy all of the text and go to Daz Studio. Go to the material in Surfaces Tab that you want to apply the material to and paste the text into the "Extra Settings" box, which should be at the type of the material settings on right-hand side. Now it should render in LuxRender.

OK. Once you said: "open the material in a text editor like Notepad (on Windows)", You just lost me! Sorry, I am such a problem. First I got the LuxRender and Luxus. Have to put them on computer. I know I can make a folder for LuxRender and put it where I want it. Does Luxus go in Daz 4 content? The Lux I downloaded was for Daz. These were materials for LuxRender. This page. http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2 Does this help understand what I am talking about?

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

OK. Once you said: "open the material in a text editor like Notepad (on Windows)", You just lost me! Sorry, I am such a problem. First I got the LuxRender and Luxus. Have to put them on computer. I know I can make a folder for LuxRender and put it where I want it. Does Luxus go in Daz 4 content? The Lux I downloaded was for Daz. These were materials for LuxRender. This page. http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2 Does this help understand what I am talking about?

I understand what you are asking. I did the same thing you did, I went to the LuxRender site looking for materials to download before I even got Luxus and LuxRender installed. What you will find, once you get the products installed, is that there are a few included materials in DAZ Studio that work with the LuxRenderer. Plus, you can create your own by modifying what is there. As for the ones listed in the link you provided, they won't work in DAZ Studio exactly as you download them from that page. You will have to paste the code for those materials into the Surfaces Panel of DAZ Studio.

Once you get Luxus and LuxRender installed on your system, let me know. It will be easier to explain this once you can see what I am talking about in the Surfaces Tab. LuxRender (the one you downloaded from the website) will install to its own location. Don't install it to your Studio folder.

edited December 1969

OK. Slosh, I will get back to you as soon as I put these on computer. Thanks for the help. Should I pm you or com back to this forum?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

You want this page for the Luxrender download. Get the latest version appropriate for your system.

edited December 1969

You want this page for the Luxrender download. Get the latest version appropriate for your system.

That's where I got it. Thanks!

edited April 2013

Ok I took the render off Hybrid and no issues with the render stopping. I will ask over on the Lux forums about the GPU issue tomorrow if I get a chance

Now the dreaded Transmap issue has cropped up.

I am using one of Ken Gilliland's birds, one of his new ones that haven't been released yet and it is full of transmaps but only one is causing the issue. I have turned the transmap in to a Greyscale image to see if that fixed it,,,nope, I made sure the black was 100% black and same with the white and still no joy. It renders perfectly in 3DL. I have tried using different render settings and Path seems to work better but still a far cry from what it should be. I even removed all the maps from this one surface and set the opacity to 0% in both Daz Studio and Lux surface settings and it still renders black. How can something render even with Opacity at 0% and with no maps. I just can't get my head around this one.

I think I know why it is happening from the way the surface is made. It looks like a series of planes grouped together as the Daz Studio surface selector shows the surface as a dome that covers the top of the head.

vul1_copy1.jpg
    582 x 648 - 221K
    vul1_copy.jpg
    278 x 446 - 118K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Szark,

Is there a volume associated with the material?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,852
    edited December 1969

I was also having this problem. I'm assuming your using the collect the textures option. If so once the render starts up in Lux, save and exit. Then re-save the problem .TIFs Luxus has created in something like PhotoShop or PaintShopPro. That should fix the issue. You can restart in Lux now but if you restart in DS again Luxus will overright your fixed up files again when you transfer to Lux and you'll be back at square one.

I was using "collect the the textures", and that did, indeed, get rid of the error message. Apparently, there are some files that Luxus isn't having Lux create properly, or some such. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to know whether or not it's an improper instruction that Luxus is passing to Lux, or just some weird glitch that Luxrender itself has with certain types of files. I'll need to try converting his textures with Luxus again to see if that gets rid of the glass-mask look as well.

Thanks for the assistance!

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok I took the render off Hybrid and no issues with the render stopping. I will ask over on the Lux forums about the GPU issue tomorrow if I get a chance

I am using one of Ken Gilliland's birds, one of his new ones that haven't been released yet and it is full of transmaps but only one is causing the issue. I have turned the transmap in to a Greyscale image to see if that fixed it,,,nope, I made sure the black was 100% black and same with the white and still no joy. It renders perfectly in 3DL. I have tried using different render settings and Path seems to work better but still a far cry from what it should be. I even removed all the maps from this one surface and set the opacity to 0% in both Daz Studio and Lux surface settings and it still renders black. How can something render even with Opacity at 0% and with no maps. I just can't get my head around this one.

I think I know why it is happening from the way the surface is made. It looks like a series of planes grouped together as the Daz Studio surface selector shows the surface as a dome that covers the top of the head.

It may be that the number of insersections is higher than the default settings can cope with - this, or something similar, came up earlier in the thread with some hair at the edges. Bidirectional renderer defaults to 8 for eye and light intersections, path to 16 which may be why path is giving closer to what you'd expect. I cant remember the exact names of the render settings but they're fairly obvious when you go looking. Try increasing the numbers (eye and light for bidirectional, just eye I think for path) and see if the artifacts decrease.

• BeaBea Posts: 745
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Hellboy said:
    Slosh said:
    Well, I am at 15.5 hours now, and it actually seems like the little red dots (SSS) have gotten worse before they will get better. At least, I hope so. I am still only at 870 S/p, which seems crazy low for the amount of time rendering. Again, could be the box I have on my guy, but I am afraid to start over without seeing it through.

That is a beautiful skin setting! You mind to share it? I want it! :)

Are you kidding me right now? Read post #1325. Of course I will share. Hopefully you don't mind waiting until tomorrow. Fiddling with those settings kept me up all night last night, then I worked a full day today and the new beta release has me still awake. Shutting down now because my aging body can't take 41 hours without sleep.

BUT, if I share, you have to share, too. I want the settings for python guy. :-P

waiting to see this share :) :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Pete, try doubling the opacity. You will have to disable the limits in the parameter setting, but this has worked for me on a number of things, including eyelashes and hair. It's worth a shot, right?

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Slosh said:
    Hellboy said:
    Slosh said:
    Well, I am at 15.5 hours now, and it actually seems like the little red dots (SSS) have gotten worse before they will get better. At least, I hope so. I am still only at 870 S/p, which seems crazy low for the amount of time rendering. Again, could be the box I have on my guy, but I am afraid to start over without seeing it through.

That is a beautiful skin setting! You mind to share it? I want it! :)

Are you kidding me right now? Read post #1325. Of course I will share. Hopefully you don't mind waiting until tomorrow. Fiddling with those settings kept me up all night last night, then I worked a full day today and the new beta release has me still awake. Shutting down now because my aging body can't take 41 hours without sleep.

BUT, if I share, you have to share, too. I want the settings for python guy. :-P

waiting to see this share :) :)

In progress... and I've been working on hair and eyes (which I know you expressed an interest earlier in this thread.) I really, really like the eyes I came up with, but have to let it render. I am working on writing up a tutorial to post on dA. Now, if I can just learn how to write a PDF or a tutorial in dA's format with links and such.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,193
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh yeah you said this before and I forgot. Yes I am using Hybrid but why would it do it with one image and not another even when the image that rendered out was more complex that the one I am doing now? I have a ATI HD5450

I am using Hybrid, have ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphic card and no problem with rendering in Lux in that mode.

As stated on the "LuxRender Render settings" web page
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings
    ... Hybrid sampler is a modified form of "sampler" that supports GPU-acceleration via OpenCL and the LuxRays Library.
    Hybrid sampler will use your computer's graphics card to handle calculating the ray's actual flight through the scene,
    freeing your CPU to handle things such as the filter and sampler.
    The available surface integrators, bidirectional and path, have the same settings as it counterpart in the regular
    "sampler" renderer, with the exception of light strategies. Path supports the "all", "auto", and "one" strategies.
    Bidirectional only accepts "one". For hybrid bidirectional, you must explicitly declare your light strategy as "one".
    If you can't find this control in your exporter, try enabling advanced parameters.
    Hybrid path accepts the parser-default "auto", so explictly declaring a light strategy is not necessary for it...

edited December 1969

Szark,

Is there a volume associated with the material?

No there are only featheres. :)
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Szark said:
    Oh yeah you said this before and I forgot. Yes I am using Hybrid but why would it do it with one image and not another even when the image that rendered out was more complex that the one I am doing now? I have a ATI HD5450

I am using Hybrid, have ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphic card and no problem with rendering in Lux in that mode.

As stated on the "LuxRender Render settings" web page
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings
    ... Hybrid sampler is a modified form of "sampler" that supports GPU-acceleration via OpenCL and the LuxRays Library.
    Hybrid sampler will use your computer's graphics card to handle calculating the ray's actual flight through the scene,
    freeing your CPU to handle things such as the filter and sampler.
    The available surface integrators, bidirectional and path, have the same settings as it counterpart in the regular
    "sampler" renderer, with the exception of light strategies. Path supports the "all", "auto", and "one" strategies.
    Bidirectional only accepts "one". For hybrid bidirectional, you must explicitly declare your light strategy as "one".
    If you can't find this control in your exporter, try enabling advanced parameters.
    Hybrid path accepts the parser-default "auto", so explictly declaring a light strategy is not necessary for it...
    Yes I know thank you. I always use Path with Hybrid...thoght this doesn't explain my problem, but I thank you anyway.

edited December 1969

czexana and Slosh thank you I will go and try those suggestions now.

edited December 1969

And the winner is czexana. Increasing the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth to 32 works perfectly. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thank you everyone you chipped in, very much appreciated.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    And the winner is czexana. Increasing the Surface Integrator Path - Maxdepth to 32 works perfectly. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thank you everyone you chipped in, very much appreciated.

:-)

I'm glad it worked.

I think the first time I saw this type of problem was in DKBTrace or PolyRAY, twenty-ish years ago? Some things never change ...

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

20ish years ago man I have only been around this stuff for 4 years. Yep still green and wet behind the ears.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    20ish years ago man I have only been around this stuff for 4 years. Yep still green and wet behind the ears.

Time isn't everything. I've always been reasonably proficient on the technical side of things, but looking through your render thread you were a better artist in this medium from the start than I'll ever be. :vampire: :-)

:coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Szark said:

I'm going to have to try this myself, for eyelashes and hair.

edited December 1969

Here is another skin test and a closeup on the eyes. I'm not sure how much I like it, now that it's done cooking. Should have gone with a deeper color for absorption and maybe a higher volume. I didn't want him to have the same waxy look that my Freak pic had, but I may have gone a little too subtle.

d71.png
    450 x 600 - 401K
    d167.png
    750 x 1000 - 740K
    edited December 1969

czexana said:
    Szark said:

Time isn't everything. I've always been reasonably proficient on the technical side of things, but looking through your render thread you were a better artist in this medium from the start than I'll ever be. :vampire: :-)

:coolsmile:Aew shuck, thank you czexana. :)

Slosh to be honest I just went for 32 as it seemed like a good idea at the time. I haven't tried a lower setting than 32 but more than the default 16.

edited December 1969

Hmm, I posted those David picks this morning without a good look, then ran out the door to work. Now that I have a chance to look closer, he appears to be wearing contact lenses (I think I know where this went wrong) and in both pics, he seems to have cotton in his right ear.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Just thought I'd mention that Luxus did a fantastic job converting many of the materials used on the Enterprise-D model I imported. The only alterations I made personally was to change the windows and sections of the nacelles and into lights.

Enterprise.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 883K
    edited December 1969

It is a good start though Slosh.

HOF very nice. I said more on DA. :)

This discussion has been closed.