Hexagon on main store page.....?

Comments

• I personally believe that IF you can get Hexagon to run (which is not guaranteed), it is one of the more user friendly 3D programs out there.

Agreed completely. I'm super excited about the stability improvements. Thanks so much for the message Steve.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Interestingly I have never found Hexagon particularly unstable, but at the same time I found Silo's user interface to be vastly superior.  Hexagon is a great tool, and I use it regularly in conjunction with DAZ Studio, but for modeling I have to admit, it's frustrated the hell out of me forever.  Silo was like the proverbial lightbulb turning on, and just did exactly what I wanted from the beginning.

Everybody's experiences are different, which is one reason such a wide variety of UIs exist.

--  Morgan

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Oh, I had that same Modo deal but like a fool I asked for a refund!  lol  Oh well.. live and learn!  

• 01i01i Posts: 20

I find it odd that people are comparing Hexagon with ZBrush because they are about as different as can be. ZBrush is awesome for character modelling, but pretty useless for hard surface modelling. If you want something comparable to ZBrush then look at Sculptris (a free crashy alpha from the makers of ZBrush) or ZBrushCore (a cut down version of zbrush at 20% of the price).

I use Hexagon on a daily basis as my modelling program of choice. I use it to create vehicles and artillery in 1:72 and 1:56 scale for miniature manufacturers. I keep meaning to find the time to learn 3DS Max, but still do everything in Hexagon because it's the software I know. I rarely get crashes these days because I know what sort of things cause them, and mitigate the issue from happening in the first place (e.g I save regularly, avoid working with too many ngons, and I regularly use the average weld at minimum combined with merging duplicate points and uvs). The most frequent crash these days occurs when I'm closing the program :)

I'm very excited about an upgrade, I just hope that they don't do away with what I love about the app, in the attempt to make it more like other modelling apps.

• v3rd3v3rd3 Posts: 0

Very good news.... I hope the 64 bit will run on Win7

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited November 2017

...it should. W7 still holds the biggest share of hte user market.  It's mainly the hardware makers who are turning out W10 only products.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

Hard to say, personally I don't like it, but your experience could be different; besides, it's free so nothing lost but some time, which considering its 3D software, is really a given. :)

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

My experience with 3D-related software is interesting. It all started when I agonized over whether to choose DAZ Studio as my main tool. I finally bought DAZ Studio Advanced, just before it was given away. DAZ should be commended for taking over some other software packages, and making many improvements. Unfortunately it's not always possible to keep every package viable. 

I have a hard time learning software. Eventually I gave up trying to learn the other software titles, including Hexagon. 

• AllenArt said:

I only paid something like $1.88 for it lo those many years ago, so I can't complain. LOL Sure wish they'd update it tho.

Laurie

Yeah, I remember buying it for like $2 back in the day.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

I would suggest, if you haven't already, download it and try it out. ;)

• That's very good news.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I have a hard time learning software. Eventually I gave up trying to learn the other software titles, including Hexagon. 

Nice that you are honest. I'm in the same boat (move on over, will ya?!) but it's possible to use Hexagon from a zero-base sort of standpoint, eg. right now a beginner could have zip-all, nothing under their belt, and with Hexagon you could at least make SOMETHING after jumping through some of the inevitable hoops.

In my case I have absolutely zero clue what I am doing, but I was able nonetheless to draw an outline of a steel rail, in Hexagon (there is a sort of poly "line tool" in the package) and from there I kind of extruded the "rails" in this scene. Okay so the rail's aren't perfect and I didn't spend a lot of time cutting and pasting them but still... I forget what the main prop is, probably a cave by Magix or Predatron and I didn't do as well with the broken up barrels and staves by Orestes.

Like anything worthwhile, Hexagon takes a bit of time and effort. I'm not 100% defending it, or the sparse documentation and indexing (try searching "mesh density") but then again, you could say that the Blender people have a larger variety of tutorials on Youtube, eg. for a beginner that might be a bit of a plus.

Anyway good to hear about progress in the category; at first I thought they were trying to sell more tutorials, eg. that was the reason it was brought up to the main page, in the DAZ store, in late 2017.

mystic-cave-wip.jpg
    1024 x 712 - 674K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    Roman_K2 said:

Nice that you are honest. I'm in the same boat (move on over, will ya?!) but it's possible to use Hexagon from a zero-base sort of standpoint, eg. right now a beginner could have zip-all, nothing under their belt, and with Hexagon you could at least make SOMETHING after jumping through some of the inevitable hoops.

In my case I have absolutely zero clue what I am doing, but I was able nonetheless to draw an outline of a steel rail, in Hexagon (there is a sort of poly "line tool" in the package) and from there I kind of extruded the "rails" in this scene. Okay so the rail's aren't perfect and I didn't spend a lot of time cutting and pasting them but still... I forget what the main prop is, probably a cave by Magix or Predatron and I didn't do as well with the broken up barrels and staves by Orestes.

Like anything worthwhile, Hexagon takes a bit of time and effort. I'm not 100% defending it, or the sparse documentation and indexing (try searching "mesh density") but then again, you could say that the Blender people have a larger variety of tutorials on Youtube, eg. for a beginner that might be a bit of a plus.

Anyway good to hear about progress in the category; at first I thought they were trying to sell more tutorials, eg. that was the reason it was brought up to the main page, in the DAZ store, in late 2017.

nice job

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    kyoto kid said:

...it should. W7 still holds the biggest share of hte user market.  It's mainly the hardware makers who are turning out W10 only products.

According to this: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide the difference is only 2%, and W10 is likely to become the market leader in a month or so.

My guess is a lot of the current W7 users are large corporations that often have a slightly modified version of the Windows OS, and tend to be extremely conservative regarding upgrades to new versions. It is likely the majority of consumer users are on W10 already, as it is tricky to buy a new box loaded with W7 these days.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    Havos said:

My guess is a lot of the current W7 users are large corporations that often have a slightly modified version of the Windows OS, and tend to be extremely conservative regarding upgrades to new versions. It is likely the majority of consumer users are on W10 already, as it is tricky to buy a new box loaded with W7 these days.

I think you're exactly right. Corporations are VERY slow to adopt new OS'es, especially the bigger corporations. They have tons of applications and the last thing they need is for a critical application to die. And they have a lot of home-grown applications that need to work with the new OS. Not to mention all the security stuff they need to stay on top of. Much to the dismay of many employees, who have W10 at home wish their work computer would be as fast and look the same as W10. And you're right, that will change. Because the other thing they can't afford is to be using an out-of-date OS that's heading for Microsoft to drop support for. 

Honestly I don't understand the dislike for W10. Yeah, I can understand the concerns over gathering your data in the background, but it's a fairly easy fix to turn that off. And considering that most of your other applications are gathering much more data, it seems to me to be a bit of a non-issue. And having to worry about 64 bit apps not running on W7, when nowadays just about everything is 64bit, seems a huge pain. 

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

This sounds good about Hexagon. I have used it a bit, but have learned to use Blender and get the hang of it's UI or like someone mentioned I made it to my liking. This was later versions of Blender the older ones were a complete nightmare. There are things I like better about Hexagon and others with Blender. I know I will use both. I could not afford any of the other programs out there and have heard they are not much easier to learn sooo... In a nutshell, I am glad to hear about the bug fixes, etc for Hexagon.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited November 2017

What is the main attraction of Windows 10, again? I'm at least vaguely aware of differences in... Windows Defender maybe, and the general direction they have taken with backup and restore. Oh, and I noticed that for the hard core people, Creative Cloud CC UX-whizbang doubleplus good will not run on Win 7-8, apparently. This just in, earlier this month (Nov. 2017)

With Win7, my first couple of installs didn't go so well... in particular the Search feature didn't seem quite right, nor was DAZ Studio. Fortunately that seemed to get better on subsequent installs.

For what it's worth I noticed that the cheapest new, W10 laptop computers have dropped below $500 Cdn here in my major center - at least there was a "two day special" over the weekend at one chain of stores... for that you got a 17.5" display, 8 GB RAM and a terabyte-sized hard drive. No idea what the actual display or cooling is like, and of course lots of people want (and need) dedicated graphics.

One thing that gives me the willys is when software versions are split into "student" or "pro" versions or similar, and your desired feature is only available if you have the special kit or add-on, or the full version. Arrrgh.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on
    Havos said:
    kyoto kid said:

According to this: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide the difference is only 2%, and W10 is likely to become the market leader in a month or so.

... a lot of W7 users are people like myself who do not want to give up total control of our systems to MS.

ebergerly said:
    Havos said:

I think you're exactly right. Corporations are VERY slow to adopt new OS'es, especially the bigger corporations. They have tons of applications and the last thing they need is for a critical application to die. And they have a lot of home-grown applications that need to work with the new OS. Not to mention all the security stuff they need to stay on top of. Much to the dismay of many employees, who have W10 at home wish their work computer would be as fast and look the same as W10. And you're right, that will change. Because the other thing they can't afford is to be using an out-of-date OS that's heading for Microsoft to drop support for. 

Honestly I don't understand the dislike for W10. Yeah, I can understand the concerns over gathering your data in the background, but it's a fairly easy fix to turn that off. And considering that most of your other applications are gathering much more data, it seems to me to be a bit of a non-issue. And having to worry about 64 bit apps not running on W7, when nowadays just about everything is 64bit, seems a huge pain. 

..yeah but unlike W7 ad 8.1, W10 is all or nothing when it comes to updates.  Last thing I need is a buggy Nvidia update that gives me BSODs that even when I roll back gets installed over again with the bad one.  If they just left things the way they were it would be fine, however, I really hate being treated like an imbecile because of others who are.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Totally detest Windows 10. I'll stay with Windows 7 as long as my PC is working and I get the software I need to run on this system.

LOL, I installed Windows 7 as the last Windows OS on a Toshiba Portege M205 I bought way back in 2003 and I forgot how old style Windows 7 UI is. It's UI is almost like Windows 95.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Once I got my auto-updates and background apps turned off, Win 10 behaves great.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Z-Brush is great for organic modeling and adding details, if you need pixel-perfect control Hex is much easier.  Yes, I know z-Brush has added vertex modeling capabilities, but I don't like having to go through a right click menu every. single. time. I want to do something.  It's just clunky.  Hex has a light footprint, is easy to understand and pick up, and the bridge to/from DS is a huge time saver (and it does have morph painting capability, it's just not as robust as Z-Brush).

• Leana said:
    DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

\o/ * does the happy dance *

AHHHHH

* join the dance too ! *

I bet they add sculpting to Hexagon. That would be nice. 

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,733

Oh wow, DAZ_Steve, thanks for the info. I look forward to the new version of Hexagon. Maybe I might even learn it this time!

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

It already does

• DzFire said:

I would suggest, if you haven't already, download it and try it out. ;)

Suggest same!

Yeah, I modeled a Moon blade weapon prop for any character (was a test) with Hexagon, it was fun, but with some unstability of the software, I was often in the needs to reload (or sometimes restart something since it was lost xD)..

​I also published this prop on ShareCG for free. (Standard license).
    Link for free download (and do not hesitate to coment if it useful for you!!) is:https://www.sharecg.com/v/85978/view/21/DAZ-Studio/ChrisKBS-MoonBlade-prop-weapon

​But, I need to figure out on how painting my prop instead of having to use an image (I created in PDArtist) for surfaces :o

​Also, needs to know how UV Map are working, I know what they are, but not how use them efficiently lol

edited November 2017
    Fisty said:

It already does

Thanks. Even better. Maybe I'll give it a look, I'll be excited to try, but trying to box model in Blender has my hands full for now.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

I'm late to the party, but WOW! That is excellent news Steve :). It's about time Daz! Heh.

Laurie