Hexagon on main store page.....?

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

Great news, thanks! 

• GKDantasGKDantas Posts: 200

Hope this will be the same for Carrara, or something like "we will add Carrara tools to DS"

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited November 2017
    JOdel said:

No. Not at all enthusiastic about the idea of running a 2nd OS on top of the one I've got. Or at any rate, not on this computer. I intend to replace it in the next year or so and will reconsider once I find whether a new one performs well enough at base level to be able to consider that. This one has something that interferes with its performance and I'm not adding to the situation if I can help it.

Uhhh... but Wine is just an emulator program, kinda like DOSBox. You must be thinking of Boot Camp or something.

On an unrelated note, I kinda hope they bring Bryce tools into DS. Because it sure would be nice to be able to make landscapes and stuff without the hassle of piecing and kitbashing stuff together. XP

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • Yipee! Glad I came back and read through the thread again. I somehow missed Daz-Steve's announcement. This is so exciting. Not to mention I made a wish in my post and it came true. Not to be greedy... but let's see if this is a new superpower I have. Carrara 9 please... and oh, world peace and freedom!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited November 2017

...now this totally qualifies as a real "Knock the Socks Off" announcement.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744
    DAZ_Steve said:

This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

This is my favorite part of the announcement. I downloaded Hexagon this morning, and I've spent all day modeling various small things in order to learn the UI. I'm impressed with how well laid-out and attractive it is.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Daz_Steve:

Thanks for sharing this awesome news!   I think the first thing I bought from DAZ was Hexagon, back in a previous millenium.   Tried to use it on one of my current PC's recently, and it had a bad case of crashitus.  Stability improvements and 64-bit version would be very welcome!

Now about this other program.....Carrara........hmmmmmm?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited November 2017

Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

I personally believe that IF you can get Hexagon to run (which is not guaranteed), it is one of the more user friendly 3D programs out there. Now I do not have Zbrush because I do not have such cash flow, but in the videos I have seen of Zbrush, it looks like it is a bit more complicated than Hexagon. Indeed, it is this ease of use, and being very friendly with Daz Studio that gives Hexagon such a strong following to this day. There are some top PAs that STILL use Hexagon to create Daz products. They can afford Zbrush but still use Hex instead. In spite of the problems that Hexagon can have, they still use it. In spite of it not being updated in nearly a decade, they still use it. I think this speaks volumes about how well Hexagon can work for people. The only catch to Hexagon is learning/trying to keep it from crashing.

DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

This is way too big of an announcement just to be a response to a forum post! This is like if Valve announced Half-Life 3 in response to a random Reddit post.

For those outside of gaming of the gaming world, Half-Life 1 and 2 were critically acclaimed PC games in the early 21st century Half-Life 2 Episode 2 was released in 2007. Leaks suggest that Valve has abandoned the episodic model and is now working on a full sequel entitled Half-Life 3, but Valve employees have consistently refused to comment on the status or nature of the next Half-Life game, much to the displeasure of their fanbase. Despite general satisfaction with the games Valve has made since Episode Two, the next Half-Life game continues to be their most anticipated title, and since the long-awaited release of Duke Nukem Forever in 2011, it has become gaming's most infamous case of continuing vaporware.

Part of that post comes from Half-Life wikia. Sound familiar anyone? And please keep in mind...that silence leads to speculation. If you want to stop speculation, you need to make a statement, like you just did. Don't leave people in the dark, because they will often assume the worst case scenario. People are passionate about this hobby and industry. That passion can cut both ways, but it generally pays to be honest and upfront about things.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

If you use the program, then it was worth it. I use an older version of Hexagon that was free in a magazine back in the day. The current free version crashes for me at every turn. Maybe others have good fortune with 2.5.1.79.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Well I've had Haxagon installed for years, but rarely used it - maybe it's time to dust it off again.

• It will be nice to see a update. I think if the bridge works this will make me rethink Silo if Hex goes 64bit and the bridge works.

• Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

Hexagon is a vertex modeller and Zbrush is a sculpting modeller so they're really two different beasties. If it's free and you don't have a vertex modeller then definitely grab it. There are a lot of things that vertex modelling does quicker and easier than sculpting. I have 3D Coat which I use for sculpting and Hexagon which I use for vertex modelling and will often send meshes back and forth between the two programs because they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Hexagon has serious stability issues and is pretty light on features compared to modern vertex modellers but it has one of the best UIs of any 3D modelling software and is very easy to use and the bridge to Daz Studio makes it almost a requirement. I'm glad that Daz is making it available free because even though it was only $20 it was kinda dirty pool to be charging money for something that had so many serious stability issues. But for free it's a really handy piece of software that compliments Daz Studio very nicely.

• DAZ_Steve said:

And just like that I want to have your babies! laughheart

• As an inveterate tweaker I have been using Hexagon regularly since those distant days when we had to pay for software.  I have learnt to live with its oddities and hiccups but this is wonderful news.

Many thanks. 

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited November 2017
    DAZ_Steve said:

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited November 2017

Exiting News for the Hexagon Users ... and sorry for the Doublepost, have problems with the editing of my posts.

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
  • WINE..... ....The name means "Wine is not an Emulator".   It's a software wrapper.  The difference?  Overhead.  In an emulator, you have the limitation of cutting out a limited amount of memory, then running a whole system inside that, with a program translating the bytecode in your remaining memory.  In wine, you only have the necessary codebase for the binary exe.  Your programs load the needed code into your memory (still some excess overhead, but not as much as an emu), then run the exe against that codebase.  It isn't perfect, but it's close.   Running 3d apps in this space... ...Ummm... ...Only when I have to.  The overhead eats up some cycles, so you will be slower; and the mac os was designed to look real pretty, but it limits the Cuda and other external graphics architectures, so iray and some opencl will fail if your internal gfx driver provided by apple doesn't like it.  Iray does work, but super slow, and limited.  I moved to Windows so I could do more with less.  Better specs and more software choices, not as pretty, but easily secured and cleaned; and I can easily set up backup\sync a lot cheaper also.  If you're stuck with mac, and you don't do any motion animation matching, you either have too much machine or not enough.  With too much, you've an expensive, powerful piece that's limited by a closed system architecture, allowing little innovation, and forcing testing onto the customer, breaking your software often at critical junctures.  Get a PC and load it up if you can, just as a plan B.  Most of the files are cross platform, and if you can get software that's compatible, you can get back to work when the mac quits on you (and it's generally cheaper for a working machine, so you can render on your mac later; you'll need less power just to work with the file).

I'd so welcome a new version of hexagon.  The morph target functions alone are enough to make it useful.  I'm also working on putting my library on an external and loading only those I need the most internally.  Usually this means one genesis base and some morph scripts, a few pieces of clothing.  I usually morph some photos of actors so the clothing designers can get to work in marvelous designer or the like.  Then they build the patterns for garment cuts, and some iron on print texturing 

My work is about making renderings for theatre.  I'm taking classes in that also.  I'm working on finding a way to quickly color objects using photoshop-like watercolor effects so my renderings are unique.  Substance painter is nice, but it only does one object at a time, and only by dropping in one object by importing it from the file menu.  Photoshop does better, as there is a plugin that opens everything up, but I still need to be able to paint in 3d.  Hexagon and some other apps that tie to DAZ really help, but there are limitations.  I'd really like a better integration into substance painter, maybe a faster plugin that would allow me to go back and forth quickly.  Save a few seconds to a minute for 3-400 objects, and you'll save several hours of work just on the export\import.  Add the time saving of 30-40minutes each texture over photoshop, and you'll cut several days to several weeks off the time.  Can't wait for them to do something with that...

edited November 2017

Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

Hexagon is a vertex modeller and Zbrush is a sculpting modeller so they're really two different beasties. If it's free and you don't have a vertex modeller then definitely grab it. There are a lot of things that vertex modelling does quicker and easier than sculpting. I have 3D Coat which I use for sculpting and Hexagon which I use for vertex modelling and will often send meshes back and forth between the two programs because they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Hexagon has serious stability issues and is pretty light on features compared to modern vertex modellers but it has one of the best UIs of any 3D modelling software and is very easy to use and the bridge to Daz Studio makes it almost a requirement. I'm glad that Daz is making it available free because even though it was only $20 it was kinda dirty pool to be charging money for something that had so many serious stability issues. But for free it's a really handy piece of software that compliments Daz Studio very nicely.

...it is also a polygon modeller as well. I wouldn't say it is "light"on features for what it is (particularly the toolbox).  Now I do agree, it would benefit from an improved UV mapping system. 

20$?  I bought it for 70$ during an MM sale (which involved use of a 25$ gallery voucher and 10% off coupon that brought the final outlay down to arouind 40$) for it many many years ago. I still remember seeing it listed at a full price of 149$.

This annoucment makes me very pleased.

• kyoto kid said:

...it is also a polygon modeller as well.

Same thing.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    I do like the UV mapping in Hex. I would like to see an auto-scale and auto-pack to round it out.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Well ZBrush started out as a digital clay sort of modeling and sculpting application but now it does have a built in vertex modeler call ZModeler!

Not that I'm not interested in a 64 bit version of Hexagon, of course I am but in case folks are not aware.... yes, there is a vertex modeling capability native to ZBrush now!  

ScreenHunter_69 Nov. 23 14.32.png
    939 x 665 - 122K
  • RAMWolff said:

Well ZBrush started out as a digital clay sort of modeling and sculpting application but now it does have a built in vertex modeler call ZModeler!

Not that I'm not interested in a 64 bit version of Hexagon, of course I am but in case folks are not aware.... yes, there is a vertex modeling capability native to ZBrush now!  

Yeah 3D-Coat plans to have a full vertex modeller in the retopo room within a few more updates. I'll probably still use Hexagon though just because the program is so comfy.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited November 2017
    DAZ_Steve said:

I am confused ! - Sure there it is at the top of my product list available to download  - which I did as Version  2.5.1.79_Win32.exe

When I looked at my download folder  Guess what - I already have this version aquired the June 20th 2014 !   Just wondering why it is introduced as an apparent New item ?

However nice to know there is an upgrade coming.

I just wish Daz would be courteous anough to keep the Carrara  community informed of its intentions regarding Carrara development- stony silence for the past 4/5 years is really very bad customer relations.

Post edited by 0oseven on
    edited November 2017
    RAMWolff said:

...but Hexagon doesn't cost 700$ and those of us who have it will probably get the upgrade for free or at very minimal cost.

...and like Ghastlycomic mentions it is "very comfy" to work with. 

• kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:

...but Hexagon doesn't cost 700$ and those of us who have it will probably get the upgrade for free or at very minimal cost.

I understand where you're coming from here; not everyone can afford the initial cost of zBrush, so Hexagon fills a useful hole in the market, even in its current state. For those of us that have chosen to invest in zBrush, having Hexagon as another tool is useful as well, since not everyone wants to use every feature of a tool like zBrush if there is a lighter weight alternative with similar functional capabilities available.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

DAZ_Steve, whisper Carrara in our ears, and I'll give you my money now :)

Happy about Hexagon news.

Cbird said:

DAZ_Steve, whisper Carrara in our ears, and I'll give you my money now :)

Happy about Hexagon news.

...laugh

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Thank you, DAZ_Steve, this is great news, and if you are still watching this thread...

Vertex Slide...  Vertex Slide...  Vertex Slide...

Wouldn't hate an instant Snap Merge Vertex tool as well.  Looking forward to the x64 update.

Thanks again!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    kyoto kid said:
    RAMWolff said:

Right but it wasn't about that, I was mentioning that someone thought ZBrush was just for sculpting but it does now have a fully mature modeling feature built in as well.  That's all.  For me I got ZBrush back when DAZ had some sort of thing worked with Pixo and I got it for like $300.00, glad I invested back then.  Didn't touch it until it was at 4.0 and Genesis 1 hit, then I dove in but I do miss messing around in Hexagon so this update had me excited as well!  :-) 

edited November 2017

....yeah had I got into this several months earlier when Daz did that special deal with Luxology for Modo 103 at 140$ (which could be upgraded to 301 for 295$), I would probably be working with Modo today.