Hexagon on main store page.....?

Why is hexagon on the main store page, it has been iut forever, why are they suddenly acting like its a new thing that just came out 

Comments

• Why is hexagon on the main store page, it has been iut forever, why are they suddenly acting like its a new thing that just came out 

They made it free.

• Is that all they did lol, please tell me they upgraded it in some way 

• Nope, still the 2011 version.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited November 2017

Why is hexagon on the main store page, it has been iut forever, why are they suddenly acting like its a new thing that just came out 

They made it free.

..crikey and I spent something like 70$ on it many many years ago during MM. 

...and I'm sure the instabilities haven't been fixed either.  Sad, such a nice programme and UI to be hamstrung so badly.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I only paid something like $1.88 for it lo those many years ago, so I can't complain. LOL Sure wish they'd update it tho.

Laurie

• Nice, though I would not be suprised if they announce hexagon 2 a much more advanced version soon.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

• Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

ZBrush tends to be better for organic type modeling and stuff  where you want the feel of painting on a model like morphing and, well, actual painting. Hexagon would be better for precision or hard-surface modeling.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

I'm sure it does stuff that Zbrush doesn't, like standard modeling, maybe splines (I don't own Zbrush so I can't testify to that), but it's a pretty easy program to learn. It's more a traditional type of modeling program. I like it and  unlike some others, it doesn't really quit on me very much, which is a very common complaint. It has its quirks, and it would be a great program if it would have kept up with the times, but even then, it's a useful piece of software. I still use it quite a bit.

Laurie

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2017

I use it all the time for the control of specific vertices when creating morphs. Probably ZBrush and it`s bridge handles this pretty good as well, but I tend to use more the brushes.

If I need precission to, let`s say, resize the iris, I use the Hexagon Bridge, select the vertices to modify, pull the scale axis and switch back to DAZ Studio as a ready morph in a breeze.

Post edited by Soto on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

it's free

so if you haven't got it it's totally worth it...

wether you do anything with it is a different matter though smiley

Stezza said:

it's free

Well, hard drive space is becoming an issue, which is why I asked before deciding to download or not.

edited November 2017

Thank you for the feedback, guys. :)  I think I'll download it and try it out. If it doesn't do anything differently or better I will uninstall. 

Does anyone know of any good and easy to follow Hexagon tutorials (preferably free)? :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Stezza said:

it's free

Well, hard drive space is becoming an issue, which is why I asked before deciding to download or not.

install it on a second drive... it takes up about 600MB yes

• ServantServant Posts: 756

Thank you for the feedback, guys. :)  I think I'll download it and try it out. If it doesn't do anything differently or better I will uninstall. 

Does anyone know of any good and easy to follow Hexagon tutorials (preferably free)? :)

You can check this thread. Not sure if it covers all of it, but it's pretty good:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/298/hexagon-tutorial-list

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406

There are a few tuts posted here https://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-3d-modeling-free if you click to DAZ Youtube channel there are more posted there.

I love Hexagon I don't have many crashes, I just save a lot so not much is lost when it does crash.

Thank you, guys! :) It's much appreciated. 

One more question. I downloaded and installed it and now it's asking for a Serial Number. How do I get a serial number?

edited November 2017

it's free in the store.. if you purchase it there then a serial number will should be available in your account under serial numbers ;-)

Post edited by Stezza on

also applying the 4gig patch for those on 64bit systems may help out as well..

Thanks, Stezza! :) I'm looking forward to checking out the program and seeing what I can do with it.

• PedroCPedroC Posts: 194

Thank you, guys! :) It's much appreciated. 

One more question. I downloaded and installed it and now it's asking for a Serial Number. How do I get a serial number?

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/serialnumbers

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    Stezza said:

also applying the 4gig patch for those on 64bit systems may help out as well..

...I did that and it helped to an extent, but smoothing and subdivision can still be crash triggers.  It really needs to join the 64 bit world to get out from under the 32 bit memory cap.  That alone could possibly clear up a good part of the programme's instability.  Hex would also benefit from a bettter UV mapping tool as well.  I love the UI, nice, clean, uncluttered and easy to work in, the freeze ups and crashes are what put me off.

• I already have this, but boy... it'd be great if it worked on macOS (Sierra and High Sierra). Just saying!

• looks like it works on Sierra. However, sending back to daz3d and setting as a morph produces weird position results. i.e. it's not just transferring the geometry manipulation but also the initial global position.  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Even if people don't download or install the current version of Hexagon, I'd recommend getting it from the store just in case a new version ever does appear (cough) and there is a lower upgrade price.

• Is it worth downloading Hexagon? I have ZBrush, does Hexagon do stuff that ZBrush doesn't? Or does it do it easier? 

ZBrush Is all You need, hex is for test your patience
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

As a 3D Studio Max user, I really love using Hexagon. It doesn't feel like I'm working when I use it and the UI is very easy for both advanced modelers and beginners alike. Most, if not all, of my items are made in Hex and very rearly crashes on me (unless I do something dim-headed). I feel great things my be coming.

• One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

We currently have a new version of Hexagon in private beta, and expect it to be public beta (including DIM installers) within a couple of weeks.  This new version has minor cosmetic updates and a lot of stability improvements.

We also have updates planned for Q1 2018 including (but not limited to) 64 bit support.  

We also have more ideas for 2018 (and the future) and plan for Hexagon to be a key and growing component of our free oferring to customers.

AWESOME!!!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    DAZ_Steve said:

One of the big questions seems to be around what the plans are (and if there are any updates to) Hexagon.  So let me chime in and answer that:

\o/ * does the happy dance *