MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Very good picture, Dire Bunny! Well done.

Thank you :)

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited April 2013

Alright guys, I am REALLY SORRY for being absent for so long, but i've FINALLY got a Visual Style basic step-by-step guide done. You can download it from the first page. It's a lot shorter than the Manga Style one as it is a much less complicated shader. Make sure to right click the link and choose "save as", as it might not appear correctly in your browser's built in PDF reader.

Again, i'm really sorry for taking so long to do this. I've been in a bit of a slump creatively speaking, and haven't really had the time or motivation to do anything Daz related. I haven't even done any Daz Studio renders (aside from the quick ones for this step-by-step guide). Still, i'm kinda getting back into the groove of things now, so hopefully I can start getting more stuff done. :)

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,527
    edited April 2013

Thanks and great that you have made available Visual Style basic step-by-step guide.
    I have read it and it seems to have a good insights about usage of your shaders.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

here is a second picture with Kimberly (and my third attempt at using the Visual shaders.)

A little more post work in this one but not to much (besides the background an stuff). mostly just drew in the eyes and brows added a little detail to hair an some extra shading.

oh_baby_watch_your_step_png.png
    1200 x 1200 - 624K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,527
    edited December 1969

Your picture is great, Dire Bunny. You are really good on such kind of images.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Excelent image!

edited December 1969

Thanks :) I love playing around with these shaders. (using these shaders had a secondary effect too, they made me switch completely over to using daz studio 4.5 instead of d\s3a lol)

• zvilartszvilarts Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

-I have the problem with editing eyebrows after apply Visual style shaders , i look at the forums and i saw other members suggest use eyebrows comforming so i bought the genesis eyebrows , it just didn't work. ( PIC One WITH Genesis eyebrows)

It won't work. ( you can see it looks like someone CUT her forehead )

-So i apply Look at my hair ( Pic Two ,with look at my hair On)

it work , BUT then.

-Look at the Pic I Took Before and After I apply Look at my hair.

Well , Something makes the edges looks like a windows 95 runs 3D , It wouldnt matter if its on small screen but IT won't work if i doing printing works , (I hope it shows ,cos i cant post more PIC in one post. watch the Edges of the Finger Tips.)

I can't say its Look at my hair 's problem ,because It is what it is , and it don't have to work with Visual Style Shaders.
    and its not Visual Style Shaders 's problem either with the same logic....

So , What should i do with the eye brows ,with my Genesis ,specficly. Please

P.s. - I enjoy the Visual Style Shaders very much , i think its a dream tool ! just i need the eyebrows.

after_b.jpg
    1444 x 1602 - 902K
    beforea.jpg
    1273 x 1457 - 734K
    2_LookAtMyHair.jpg
    999 x 1145 - 589K
    1_genesiseyebrows.jpg
    999 x 1188 - 699K
    Post edited by zvilarts on
  • Starship64Starship64 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorials, they really helped. Of course, I've never really been one to think inside the box (or even realize that there is a box sometimes), so I had to use them to do my own thing. Not exactly anime/manga I'm afraid.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2342608&user_id=497435&page=2&member;&np;

• Starship64Starship64 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

And here's a picture I did using the Manga Style Shaders:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2434234&user_id=497435&member;&np;

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

zvilarts, I noticed you kept the eyes in your first image textured, rather than using the VS shader on them. It actually looks really good that way.

edited April 2013

Ok, apparently I haven't been getting any subscriptions e-mails for this topic.

zvilarts, I can see two issues that are occuring.

1) When using Genesis Eyebrows, you're applying the skin shader onto the extra layer of skin Genesis Eyebrows adds. This is the reason why it looks like she has bumps on her forehead. What you should have done instead was make the skin layer on Genesis Eyebrows complete transparent.

2) It seems that "Look at my hair" (LAMH) is forcing Genesis to use the Base resolution rather than High Resolution, probably for memory reasons. I wouldn't know, as I don't use LAMH.

Also, Starship64, it seems as though Renderosity is down, so I can't see your renders i'm afraid. ^^"

In other news, i've released a new freebie! I've taken the Geometry Shell Outline originally included in Manga Style, made some improvements to it, and have now released it for free! You don't need to own Manga Style to use it! There's even a basic guide included!

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
    edited April 2013

Fragg1960 said:
    Is there a way to control the opacity of a texture that you add back over the visual shaders? Sometimes I feel the texture is too strong and masks the shader effect I like, and I'd like to play with the opacity of the re-applied texture until I like the results.

Not really i'm afraid. I don't think i've seen any shader that allowed you to blend between a texture and a flat colour, or at least not in the way that would be useful to you. Might I recommend trying out the Layered Image Editor within Daz Studio? You might need to search the Documentation Centre (under the Help tab at the top of the Daz website) for the basics on how to use it, but you could use it to add a flat colour as a new layer, and then turn down the strength so some of the texture shows through. Or you could edit the texture in an image editor like Gimp or Photoshop.
    Balderdash! It's too easy! When you add a texture to an Image brick in ShaderMixer, the color of the texture is multiplied by the basic color of the node's color block. If this is too strong, add a Mix brick on Float/Layer Mix, a Binary Op brick set to Color/Multiply and an Image Map brick, all downstream of your main shader tree. Link them to each other as shown, and splice as shown between the downstream end of your algorithm and your Surface root brick.

Phantom_Textures.jpg
    789 x 510 - 223K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

Fragg1960 said:
    Is there a way to control the opacity of a texture that you add back over the visual shaders? Sometimes I feel the texture is too strong and masks the shader effect I like, and I'd like to play with the opacity of the re-applied texture until I like the results.

Not really i'm afraid. I don't think i've seen any shader that allowed you to blend between a texture and a flat colour, or at least not in the way that would be useful to you. Might I recommend trying out the Layered Image Editor within Daz Studio? You might need to search the Documentation Centre (under the Help tab at the top of the Daz website) for the basics on how to use it, but you could use it to add a flat colour as a new layer, and then turn down the strength so some of the texture shows through. Or you could edit the texture in an image editor like Gimp or Photoshop.

Balderdash! It's too easy! When you add a texture to an Image brick in ShaderMixer, the color of the texture is multiplied by the basic color of the node's color block. If this is too strong, add a Mix brick on Float/Layer Mix, a Binary Op brick set to Color/Multiply and an Image Map brick, all downstream of your main shader tree. Link them to each other as shown, and splice as shown between the downstream end of your algorithm and your Surface root brick.

Yes Eustace, but that involves editing the shader. The question was if Visual Style could do it, which it can't, because I didn't implement it. I've also never seen any other shader do it either, so it never even came to mind in the first place.

Trust me, I know how to make a basic blend in Shader Mixer.

edited December 1969

I see no reason, though, for individuals to make the tweak to their own copies -- of any shader whatsoever! So long as the amended versions aren't handed around. I suppose I mistook the question, but I didn't mean to question your skills, man!

Keep up the good work (and thanks for the light sets!)

edited December 1969

I see no reason, though, for individuals to make the tweak to their own copies -- of any shader whatsoever! So long as the amended versions aren't handed around.

That's fair enough, although they can only edit shaders that are made in Shader Mixer such as Visual Style. That, and I wouldn't recommend attempting to make any changes unless you have basic knowledge on how to use Shader Mixer, which not a lot of people do as documentation for Shader Mixer is still a bit on the lax side. There is one very good tutorial on the store, but that's where things get a bit awkward because most people expect the documentation to be in the Documentation Center, and not available for sale on the store (even if it's free, as some of the official tutorials are), especially so if they're migrating from Poser (which has free documentation built into the program).

Of course if anyone does decide to make their own personal changes to the shader (which they are free to do provided the don't redistribute it, as you said), I did try my best to label and organise everything in a way that's easy to understand. ^^" However, not many people like the thought of having to take on a DIY approach to things like this, which is why I try to incorporate more and more features into each product I do to make them easier to use. Case in point, my next shader (which'll never see the light of day at this rate, seeing as Daz still haven't fixed Anisotropic Specular in Shader Mixer) is going to have tiling textures built in, and i'm gonna try my best to make it support Fabricator textures/settings.

edited December 1969

Hey guys. Sorry for the bump, but as you can see there has now been a very important bugfix update made to the Freebie Geometry Shell Outline shader. The Geometry Shell Outline is now fully compatible with UberEnvironment's Ambient Occlusion, and shouldn't cause the underlying object/figure to appear much darker than intended. Please redownload and reinstall!

edited December 1969

Trying out the Geometry shell outline shader for the first time.
    Other than lettering no postwork yet. just the visual shader and the GSOs (I'll fix the picture up later when i get my tablet to work with win 8 lol)

desert_angels_s_jpg.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 499K
    edited December 1969

Awesome! It looks great! Thanks for sharing. :D

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited May 2013

Loves, having lots of fun playing with the manga shaders. It was a tossup between the Visual Novel and Manga Style, but seeing as ACartoon popped up in the past few weeks, and having YAToon for Carrara, I went for Manga, because, honestly, its unique. And I'm loving it =3 Still following the tutorial a bit, but I love how she looks. Post a render when I'm (somewhat?) done XD

A rough render :) I'm really having fun with this. V4 Centaur mixed with other random freebies.

I know realistic isn't the intended effect, but I still think it came out nicely here. :)

mngrend2.png
    780 x 694 - 795K
    Post edited by AeonicB on
    edited December 1969

To those of you out there having fun with the freebie Geometry Shell Outline (GSO) shader, please rendownload and reinstall. There has been another bugfix that makes it compatible with Raytraced shadows (and presumably depth mapped shadows, although I have yet to test this). Thanks goes to Richard Haseltine yet again.

• edited December 1969

Great product, but I've run into a bit of trouble. Following the manga step-by-step guide, I can apply a screen tone and the model turns gray/white like the example. However, when I go to render the image, it displays as DAZ's default toon render without screen tones. I attached a screenshot showing what is happening. Could anyone help me resolve this problem?

Screen_Shot_2013-06-21_at_8.54_.30_PM_.png
    1680 x 942 - 396K
    edited December 1969

You have your render settings set to "cartoon" when it should be set to "default". :)

• edited December 1969

You have your render settings set to "cartoon" when it should be set to "default". :)

Thank you, I did have it set to cartoon accidently. I have changed it to default. However, that hasn't solved the problem. Now I am just getting a solid gray shader. Hmmm.... Any idea what I should try next.

• edited December 1969

gray22fox said:

Thank you, I did have it set to cartoon accidently. I have changed it to default. However, that hasn't solved the problem. Now I am just getting a solid gray shader. Hmmm.... Any idea what I should try next.

I sorry - I figured out how to fix it. For anyone who has the problem in the future, you need your render settings set to the best quality (4). Open GL won't render the shaders.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

Thank you, BishounenTaurus, for creating these wonderful things.
    As one of those, who used Sketch Style Render in Poser (had chance in 4 and 7), when i decided to stick to DAZ STUDIO, firstly it looked like no exit. But then i discovered your Style Shaders!

Though, i'm still have many things to learn in both DS and ur Manga Style (that was my choice atm..coz so unique)

So, thanks also for Step-by-Step guide!)
    I'm attaching this image (just one of default presets though) just to history..

..guess i'll come back in the future with further results ;)
    *need to learn and do this and that*

P.S.

ALSO i remember your UDK scheme for it hmm
    However, i had some suggestions about it though..

P.S.S.

I even have a question atm - so, is that correct that to apply Style on Clothes, it is needed to select all surfaces on BOTH cases - 1) when u selected the clothes themself 2) when u selected the character, there are clothes tabs below char also in surface editor

becky_again_lq3.png
    365 x 570 - 60K
    edited December 1969

When you apply the shader, you must have these things selected:

-The figure in the Scene Tab.
    -The surfaces of the figure in the Surfaces Tab.

So in this case you'd need to select both the Dress figure and the Dress surfaces. :)

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited July 2013

Oops it's a bit easier than i thought - thanks!
    What made think me different - is that you have surfaces for all figures in Surfaces Tab...

Post edited by akmerlow on
    edited December 1969

akmerlow said:
    Oops it's a bit easier than i thought - thanks!
    What made think me different - is that you have surfaces for all figures in Surfaces Tab...

Ah yes, I have an option turned on that displays all surfaces in the list regardless of what I have selected, as I like to multi-task. ;)

• edited July 2013

Help! The shaders were working fine but when I installed them on a new computer they started not rendering properly. For example, "Manga - Skin (Duo Soft 150)" renders as below. Are there some settings which may be causing this?

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the shaders with no success.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-20_at_1.21_.19_PM_.png
    674 x 1074 - 131K
    Post edited by gray22fox-2131101 on