Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Stezza, thanks for posting to the entry thread.  The one thing missing from your WIP's is a picture of your setups in Carrara.  Can you add some Carrara setup shots to those WIP posts?

Thanks!

I missed this post... I'll get onto that today ... 

Jonstark said:

"Never give up; Never surrender!" laugh I built and lost the scene a couple more times, and finally got through a full-sized render. 

I'm mostly pretty happy with this, but there are a few things that aren't working as well as I had pictured in my mind.  I felt the 'dark queen' was hard to see clearly in the first version, so I made her a drow queen instead, but she still doesn't 'pop' much.  On the other hand, I am going for a similar vibe as the many Conan pulp paperbacks, and back when I was a kid the last thing I focused on on those old Conan covers was king Conan himself, pondering on his throne, but always my attention was on the 'ladies of the court' (nearly-naked slavegirls) that always surrounded him.

Anyway, I don't know what about this scene makes Carrara crash for me so much, but I know from bitter experience I cannot save it or it will crash.  I can't even drag any of the figures into the objects tab; I've tried and it just makes Carrara crash too. So I have this scene up on Carrara at the moment, and I'll just ask candidly if anyone has any suggestions on improvements in any way before I lose the scene again.  If not, this may be a final render.  

awesome work on this one jonstark yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Nice, HW!  I know you get busy, so please remember to enter some of your renders.

Here are a couple from the past.

I know that Wendy can't join in this month, so since we need more hunks, here is one she did for (legendary) Challenge #27:

Wanted to see evilproducer enter something this month, but alas we'll have to settle for this from his Carrara rigged garden hose at sharecg:

heh, you have a great sense of humour, wonderful news about Ringo being onboard as the sponsor!

Stezza said:

Stezza, thanks for posting to the entry thread.  The one thing missing from your WIP's is a picture of your setups in Carrara.  Can you add some Carrara setup shots to those WIP posts?

Thanks!

I missed this post... I'll get onto that today ... 

Jonstark said:

"Never give up; Never surrender!" laugh I built and lost the scene a couple more times, and finally got through a full-sized render. 

I'm mostly pretty happy with this, but there are a few things that aren't working as well as I had pictured in my mind.  I felt the 'dark queen' was hard to see clearly in the first version, so I made her a drow queen instead, but she still doesn't 'pop' much.  On the other hand, I am going for a similar vibe as the many Conan pulp paperbacks, and back when I was a kid the last thing I focused on on those old Conan covers was king Conan himself, pondering on his throne, but always my attention was on the 'ladies of the court' (nearly-naked slavegirls) that always surrounded him.

Anyway, I don't know what about this scene makes Carrara crash for me so much, but I know from bitter experience I cannot save it or it will crash.  I can't even drag any of the figures into the objects tab; I've tried and it just makes Carrara crash too. So I have this scene up on Carrara at the moment, and I'll just ask candidly if anyone has any suggestions on improvements in any way before I lose the scene again.  If not, this may be a final render.  

awesome work on this one jonstark yes

yes that's a beautiful glow you have achieved

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited November 2017

Thanks UnfriedBrain for the great challenge!!!

Well ...... I've kind of stalled out on my little witch project. I setup all the shaders for the skin and the outfit (the outfit wasn't turning out as good as I had hoped), added an environment, and was working on the pose when ...... yup Carrara locked up and I hadn't saved in a loooong time (DUH!!!!). Soooo ...... I decided to start something else, then see if I have time/desire to go back to the witch project.

Below are the before and after examples. This project used Genesis 2 Female, with a lot of dial-spining to make a unique character based on Ysabeau 6, with the texture set for Kharma. I think I modified every texture to optimize it for Octane except for the mouth/teeth/tongue. The lighting is fairly simple, just 2 emitter planes for lights and a very low intensity HDRI (5% intensity - just enough to give dark areas some light to resolve faster). The skin and the hair are both mixed shaders using a glossy node and a specular node, the "blocks" are a specular shader (I'm a sucker for volumetrics).

I've been using DS a lot with DAZ figures over the past year or so blush, so It took a bit of work to remember a lot of the little tricks for working with Genesis figures in Carrara, and to remember how Octane shaders work (pretty simple actually, but if you don't use it, you lose it). I forgot just how nice Octane is to work with, and how much easier it is on my system than Iray.

This image shows what everything looked like before setting up the shaders, posing, and arranging the blocks.

This image shows the final setup and render in progress.

What I think will be the final image. The only postwork was the Signature, minor adjustment of levels, and a touch of unsharp mask. Please zoom to full resolution wink

Pinup1 initial setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 595K
    Pinup1 Final setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 532K
    Pinup1_sig_unsharp.jpg
    2300 x 2600 - 1M
    Post edited by DustRider on
    Jonstark said:

Jonstark you have really outdone youself here. Fantastic image!! I can imagine how difficult it was to get all the figures into your render!

• DustRider said:

Well ...... I've kind of stalled out on my little witch project. I setup all the shaders for the skin and the outfit (the outfit wasn't turning out as good as I had hoped), added an environment, and was working on the pose when ...... yup Carrara locked up and I hadn't saved in a loooong time (DUH!!!!). Soooo ...... I decided to start something else, then see if I have time/desire to go back to the witch project.

Dustrider, thank you for persevering!  Hope you get the witch problem licked.  The Ysabeau render looks gorgeous!

DustRider said:
    What I think will be the final image. The only postwork was the Signature, minor adjustment of levels, and a touch of unsharp mask. Please zoom to full resolution wink

DustRider said:

Dustrider, thank you for persevering!  Hope you get the witch problem licked.  The Ysabeau render looks gorgeous!

DustRider said:

Hey Dustrider, that's superb - love the DOF

edited November 2017

Something meek and mild from me compared to the rest of the work!! I think this has had the most remarkable work ever in a challenge - UB has dione a wonderful job conjuring up artists to display there skills.

My apologies for not participating in the correct manner! This is with one of the GMC filters used in one of the many layers - Freaky Black and White which ois one of my favourites   - most of the post work in Filter Forge

lee1fulllengthPOST.jpg
    1649 x 2382 - 4M
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1642 x 1235 - 644K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited November 2017

@UnifiedBrain

Sorry for the late answer, I've been very busy lately.

Philemo, welcome to the party!  I am also a Heinlein fan.  That book cover, btw, was by Gerald Grace (I looked it up).

Nice composition!  Maybe her left leg seems a bit high, as her left foot has no support to bear weight.*

Quite true, corrected now

Thanks for posting the G'MIC pics.  I have a question about the filters.  I see the obvious effect of the b&w filter, but the other one is not so obvious.  What kind of grain is it supposed to add?

Here is an zoom on the effect

No grainWith grain

Without and with grain

CaptureNoGrain.PNG
    213 x 190 - 42K
    CaptureWithGrain.PNG
    186 x 170 - 38K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited November 2017

I also changed the cop in the car, too look a bit more to the original. I just changed the microphone to an ice cream cone, to make it less dramatic and more sensual :-)

Carrara view

So, the final image, rendered in Octane and with post from Gmic is:

Final image

FridayCarrara.PNG
    1667 x 1080 - 2M
    Friday6g4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited November 2017

Philemo, Head wax, Dustrider, and Jonstark - these are fantastic entries.  Really shows off very different styles that Carrara-ists can pursue.  Wow.

I played a little bit more with GMIC filters and the elevator entry.  The mouth should look a little bit better as well.  Switched out the entry.

Just a note - there may be a question if it is OK to change a render once it is entered.  I am perfectly fine with that, as I know that everyone wants to put out the best possible version.  Changes are not permitted after votiing has begun, which is still a week away.  So, if you have posted an entry, but have suddenly changed your mind about Vampirella's nipple placement, fix it now!

elevator gmic wild cartoonist entry.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 193K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, great work! You incredibly improved your picture!

• head wax said:

Something meek and mild from me compared to the rest of the work!!

HW, if that is meek and mild, then I might as well give up this 3d stuff today.  I'll never catch up to you!

Philemo said:

I also changed the cop in the car, too look a bit more to the original. I just changed the microphone to an ice cream cone, to make it less dramatic and more sensual :-)

Ha, love the ice cream and the whole "look" Philemo! 

The filter comparisons you posted were too small for me to see the change, but thanks for trying.

Diomede said:

I played a little bit more with GMIC filters and the elevator entry.  The mouth should look a little bit better as well.  Switched out the entry.

I agree with Vyusur.  Key improvements there Diomede.  Art Frahm would be proud!

edited November 2017

Lastly I created one more pinup composition.

White-Swan-pinup.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 187K
    2017-11-09_1417.png
    1387 x 1008 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited November 2017

Here is new version of "The Confusion of The Feelings"

Alina-pinup.jpg
    800 x 1156 - 160K
    2017-11-09_2014.jpg
    1157 x 1018 - 1M
    2017-11-09_1900.png
    973 x 904 - 690K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

Awesome Vyusur

the first render reminds me ..... the definition of sensual is using a feather the definition of erotic is using the whole chook!

dunno how to vote in this challenge... the entries so far by everyone are totally cool ???? 

• Well done, Vyusur.  What is the top figure?  The bottom one is for sure Alina.  Whatever, it must feel really good to be modeling your own characters!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

Very nice, Vyusur!

Hi Ringo!

Ringo Monfort ROCKS!!! We've got some fine artwork in this forum done by him, along with some excellent renders from Carrara's past, thanks to Ringo!

► Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

► History of Carrara by Ringo Monfort

Stezza, thank you very much for the kind words! I'm glad you like it.

UnifiedBrain, thank you very much! As I explained in the description in the Entry thread, I used the photo of my model as a reference. I do model my custom figures as you can see in my video:

And I have a whole bunch of my original figures on both my computers which are ready for rigging. But it is not so fast as I wish.

Thank you, Dart!

Vyusur said:

But it is not so fast as I wish.

I know, right? The rigging can go fairly smoothly, but then to get it all tweaked just right... midnight rolls along... now it's 5 in the morning... oh crap... midnight again!!! Oh crap... those darned weight maps still aren't quite what I want them to be. Hmmm....!!!

Anyway, yeah. I'm a fan. You do great work.

...and that goes for all of you freaks (meant as loving endearment! LOL) on this thread! Yikes! Great stuff!

Vyusur said:

But it is not so fast as I wish.

I know, right? The rigging can go fairly smoothly, but then to get it all tweaked just right... midnight rolls along... now it's 5 in the morning... oh crap... midnight again!!! Oh crap... those darned weight maps still aren't quite what I want them to be. Hmmm....!!!

Anyway, yeah. I'm a fan. You do great work.

...and that goes for all of you freaks (meant as loving endearment! LOL) on this thread! Yikes! Great stuff!

Oh my, thank you ever so much!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Thank you, UB and Vyusur, for your comments.  My trip to the DMV has been canceled today because I forgot it was a holiday, so I may have time to make a few more changes.

Vyusur - Like UB, I recognize the character in the confusion image, and am very curious about the character you created for the couch image.  Love to see her.  Consistently unique!  

I'm with Stezza, this is going to be really hard when the voting starts.  There are some fantastic WIPs that have still not been posted in the entry thread.  I hope they get completed.

Diomede, thank you for the comment!

I guess, no one of you can recognize this person. Here I attach the photo of my model and my inspiration which I used as reference. I am going to paint a new skin for her and to complete this my model.

Natasha_DSC5370.jpg
    800 x 1204 - 159K

Vyusur, outstanding work, love your original models. What incredible talent you have, and to have your own photo library to draw inspiration from must be fantastic!

edited November 2017
    Diomede said:

Philemo, Head wax, Dustrider, and Jonstark - these are fantastic entries.  Really shows off very different styles that Carrara-ists can pursue.  Wow.

Thanks Diomede! I've been amazed at the wide variety of great work posted so far, a lot of really creative people use Carrara, that's for sure!

Post edited by DustRider on
    head wax said:
    DustRider said:

DustRider said:

Hey Dustrider, that's superb - love the DOF

Thanks Headwax! Your work is awsome, you have such a creative mind. I'm continually amazed at the ideas you come up with, and that you are able to execute them so well, and so easily (or at least it seems like it's easy for you).

Thanks UnfriedBrain! I'm working on finishing up the witch image now. It's a lot different than the original concept image though. I used the same basic idea/concept I was working on for the first image, but the character and most of the clothing are completely different. I should have it completed later today or tomorrow.