November 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

New User's Challenge - November 2017

Sponsored by Daz 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Materials"

This month's focus will be on Materials and Surfaces. One of the most important aspects of a great render is the effective use of materials. Effective surface settings can add realism, style, and visual interest to an image. This month we will be concentrating on how to create and manipulate the surfaces on the objects in our scene.

Also, keep in mind all the various items covered over the past several months. They will affect the way your materials look in your final rendered scene.

So far this year we have covered the following topics:

Composition

Lighting

Posing

Action & Props

Scenes and Landscapes

Portrait Rendering

Focus/DOF

Atmosphere

Inspiration:

Check out the amazing entries and discussion in last year's Materials contest.

Other Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another. If you have some favorite Materials, Surfaces, and Shader tips, please share them in this thread.

Daz Studio Tutorials:

Daz 101: Surfaces by Daz 3D (video)
Iray Surfaces and What They Mean by Sickleyield
The Iray Uber Base Shader by Daz 3D (video)
Daz Studio 4.0 - Surfaces by Daz 3D (older video, 3Delight surfaces)

Bryce Tutorials:

Scroll down to the Materials section by Daz 3D

Carrara Documentation:

Textures, Surfaces and Materials by Daz 3D

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this threadChallenge Rules

Closing Date: November 30th 2017

Post edited by barbult on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

About Materials Presets, Shader Presets, and Shaders:

Both a Materials Preset and a Shader Preset can apply a different shader, as well as setting the values for the properties of the shader. The difference is that a Materials Preset has settings for one or more named surfaces, and will do nothing to surfaces that don't match its target names. A Shader Preset is indifferent to surface names and affects all selected surfaces on all selected objects. That sounds technical and complicated for a new user, so read on if you need some additional clarification and examples.

As a general rule, Materials Presets are tied to a specific object. For example, if a product comes with a red dress Materials Preset, that preset cannot be applied to the shoes in the same product or to a dress in a different product. In Daz Studio, Smart Content can be a big help in finding the Material Presets that are compatible with a selected object.

To apply a Materials Preset, first select the object (character, garment, vehicle, etc.) in the Scene pane. Then double click on one of the Materials Presets for that specific model. For example, load "Basic Wear Briefs" from the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials product. Select "Briefs" in the Scene pane. Now double click the "Snuggle Bear Briefs" Materials Preset. Notice that the briefs turn white, because "Snuggle Bear Briefs" is a Materials Preset for "Basic Wear Briefs". Now double click "01_Top" Materials Preset. Notice that nothing changes in the scene, because "01_Top" is a Materials Preset for a different object, not for "Basic Wear Briefs".

A Shader Preset is similar to a Materials Preset, but it is more generic. It can be applied to any surface. (Be aware, that Daz has not been consistent with terminology, and many Shader Presets are referred to incorrectly as Shaders. If you see something in the Daz Studio Content Library or Smart Content categorized as a "Shader", it is most likely a "Shader Preset" instead.) In Daz Studio, to apply a Shader Preset, you first select the object in the scene pane and then select the surface(s) that you want to change in the Surfaces pane. Finally, apply the Shader Preset by double clicking on the Shader Preset thumbnail. For example, load "Genesis 3 Female". Next select "Genesis 3 Female" in the Scene pane and then select "Fingernails" in the Surfaces pane. Now double click on "Car Paint - Cranberry" from the Default Resources product. Fingernails are not a car, but Shader Presets don't care; you can apply them to any surface.

A shader is the underlying technology for both Material Presets and Shader Presets. A shader is a subroutine or script that tells the render engine how to calculate the RGB values for a specific pixel. The shader is what determines what properties are available for a surface in the Surfaces Pane. Shaders are designed for a specific render engine, and often don't look "right" when rendered with another render engine. Examples of shaders are Daz Studio Default (3Delight), AoA_Subsurface (3Delight), Iray Uber (Iray), MC6 (Poser). In Daz Studio, shaders can be created and modified in the Shader Mixer. Don't be intimidated! Most Daz Studio users never create or modify shaders, but instead use Shader Presets or Material Presets that are bundled with Daz Studio or are purchased in the Daz Store. 

• As I type this, I've got yet another run in the shadows in the works. Only one runner for now, but who knows how many will join in...

• Here's version a for this, didn't get around to posting until now.

nov2017a.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M

Here's version a for this, didn't get around to posting until now.

Tell us how you used materials to enhance your image. Did you use what came with the clothes, etc. or did you apply shader presets? How did you choose what to use...

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited November 2017

I used shaders chosen based on what I felt the material was. If I felt that something was leather, then that's the type of shader preset that I used,for his cyberarms I used a carbon fiber shader preset, emissive surfaces like the lights on his arms and the hud in his eyes I used Simple Emissive Light Shaders for Iray. As for the shirt, I can't remember what preset I used on it. His claws, and the buckle on his belt were metalized as well. Most of the presets that I used were from here and here. Some files from Nvidia are required for them to work but instructions to get and install them were provided if I remember right.

As it is, I've got version b rendering as I type this. The new runner in the background had his clothes as well as his shotgun given the same treatment.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Here's version b. Like I said in my last post I used shader presets on the new runner's clothes and his shotgun.

nov2017b.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited November 2017

Here's version b. Like I said in my last post I used shader presets on the new runner's clothes and his shotgun.

I like your choice of materials for both characters.  Position wise I find your runner character a bit distracting to the main character.  It could be the camera angle but the runner looks too close to the main character.  The runner looks like he is about to run the other guy over.  If you look at their feet, hopefully you will see what I mean.

Great start Shinji.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • ricswikaricswika Posts: 132

Here's version a for this, didn't get around to posting until now

I like those materials, the only thing is the clothes on the first dude look 'too new'. Like he just got a new pair of clothes. Good place to add some grunge perhaps?

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited November 2017

To be honest, I momentarily tend more to play around with the super cool deforce tool.
    In the picture I use Kim (G8) to interact with two primitives. 
    To give them a curtain like look I aplied the free http://www.sharecg.com/v/11982/browse/11/Poser/curtain-or-silk-backdrops texture and the ...shader.
    The room is the free https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/contemporary-room/77686
    For the wall I have used a stonetexture from https://www.textures.com/
    Kim wears the https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/80s-style-workout-outfit-for-g8f/77666 which I have colored in blue. The dress looks awful until now and I have to overwork it, but it's ok since this is my first testrender.

Testrender Kim.png
    889 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by daybird on
    edited November 2017

Whiskey and Magic don't mix

"with the Apothecary unattended..."

This is just a starting point with a lot of materials to work on. I plan to grunge it up' for a more gritty look and to improve the rat 'morphing' into monster seqence somehow.

MagicShoppe copy.jpg
    2048 x 1266 - 823K
    Post edited by ricswika on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited November 2017

PLEASE ERASE THIS POST

Post edited by daybird on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    daybird said:

To be honest, I momentarily tend more to play around with the super cool deforce tool.
    To give them a curtain like look I aplied the free http://www.sharecg.com/v/11982/browse/11/Poser/curtain-or-silk-backdrops texture and the ...shader.
    The room is the free https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/contemporary-room/77686
    Kim wears the https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/80s-style-workout-outfit-for-g8f/77666 which I have colored in blue. The dress looks awful until now and I have to overwork it, but it's ok since this is my first testrender.

Nice work with the d-formers! I started playing with them in earnest during the last challenge, so I know they can be tricky. I really like your concept and can't wait to see where you go with this scene.

Here's version b. Like I said in my last post I used shader presets on the new runner's clothes and his shotgun.

I very much like the way the red lighting outlines the claws on your main figure, and shines on the leather of his pants - the reflectivity on the shader seems about perfect. I agree with @kismet2012 that the runner seems a bit too close to your main guy. It also looks like you may have a little pokethrough on the runner's shirt?

ricswika said:

This is just a starting point with a lot of materials to work on. I plan to grunge it up' for a more gritty look and to improve the rat 'morphing' into monster seqence somehow.

I love the concept - and the details really sell the scene (LOL at the stack of shot glasses - though they look just a little too clean, I think). On the pink rat, the bright pink feels like it ends just a little too smoothly and abruptly on the tail.

edited November 2017

I'm not sure where I'm going with her yet, but.. introducing Shyra, a prety little elf based on the default G3F character. In addition to a lot of face and body morphs, she's wearing a tweaked default G3F skin. I went in and changed the base, specular and glossy colors to make her paler and cooler, and played with the various settings to get a luminous quality to her skin. She's wearing the skirt and head scarf from Romi for G3F and the bikini from the Tropical Style Outfit for G3F. With the skirt and head scarf, I left the default material maps in place, but tweaked the Uber shader settings to alter the color and translucency, and gave it a pink shimmer by adding and playing with metallic flakes. With the bikini, I removed the material map images, and then played with the shader settings to get a shimmery, bright pink lycra-ish fabric. I know the hair (Dragonfly for G3F) clips into the body and needs to be fixed, which I'll do in a subsequent render. Shyra is also still a bit flat, since the only lighting is coming from the environment and the headlamp, and she's very, very lonely out there on her space walkabout (Purple planet from Deep Space HDRIs). I'm still working out the rest of the scene in my mind, so I'm not sure what she's peering at so intently - open to suggestions/advice.

shyra-gypsy1.png
    873 x 948 - 313K
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • Chameo said:

I'm not sure where I'm going with her yet, but.. introducing Shyra, a prety little elf based on the default G3F character. In addition to a lot of face and body morphs, she's wearing a tweaked default G3F skin. I went in and changed the base, specular and glossy colors to make her paler and cooler, and played with the various settings to get a luminous quality to her skin. She's wearing the skirt and head scarf from Romi for G3F and the bikini from the Tropical Style Outfit for G3F. With the skirt and head scarf, I left the default material maps in place, but tweaked the Uber shader settings to alter the color and translucency, and gave it a pink shimmer by adding and playing with metallic flakes. With the bikini, I removed the material map images, and then played with the shader settings to get a shimmery, bright pink lycra-ish fabric. I know the hair (Dragonfly for G3F) clips into the body and needs to be fixed, which I'll do in a subsequent render. Shyra is also still a bit flat, since the only lighting is coming from the environment and the headlamp, and she's very, very lonely out there on her space walkabout (Purple planet from Deep Space HDRIs). I'm still working out the rest of the scene in my mind, so I'm not sure what she's peering at so intently - open to suggestions/advice.

You've got a nice start on her. I think that she's a cutie.

• Rendered version c last night, using A Touch of Dirt for Iray to grunge up the clothing of the two runners, and moved the running member back some so he wasn't right on top of his teammate.

nov2017c.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

@ Shinji, Daybird, Ricswika, Chameo & anyone else for that matter!

This is fun as I’m starting to learn your genres or styles.

I’m new to 3D, but not photography, or layout & design (commercial pre-press back in the day.)  I am a bit shy about any critique though.  Most of you have been doing this for over a year?  I’ve been at it since Sept. 25th.  : 0 !

Like to think I can still spot what might ‘work’ and what might need improvement, but don’t want to come across as an arrogant jerk if that makes sense. 

Bottom line: playing it safe & will critique only if asked.  Great stuff though!  laugh

Textures/materials good 'challenge' since I’m having trouble with them.  ; )

Couple of thumbnails...

"Darius & Freinds"

“Garret” and the cat look horrible.  Skin (and fur) looks plastic & cheesy compared to updated Darius & Vicky 8.  (Grateful to a couple of members here who helped me correct Darius, or would’ve been a return.)

Goals if decide to pursue:

1.) Correct skin on Garret so it looks more like.. Skin & not plastic.
    2.) Have cat’s fur look more like hair & not a wax cat mannequin!
    3.) Learn how to make things like sunglasses semi-transparent while still being reflective.

"50's Advert"

Second thumbnail might need a bit of background.  Came across a vintage calendar at an estate sale.  “Bryant Plumbing & Electrical Company” had the “Bryant Girl” posing with products each month.  She had on roll up jeans, and a red plaid shirt.  Even B&W shoes!  So I copied one pose where she’s showing off a sump pump or some piece of machinery.  The copy is fun.  “Your basement will never flood again-- Guaranteed!”

50’s trailer was on sale, so “Trailer Girl” model just needs two tone shoes and a plaid shirt.  No luck at store, so if anyone knows where poor Vicky might get these items.  “What’s a poor super fashion model to do!”

Goals:

1.) Improve textures on things like tires.

2.) Texture on grasses that look fake and placed.

3.) Anything else to improve composition.  (Her hand needs adjustment.  The trailer needs to be moved to left, or close door a bit so it isn't growing out of her head.)

Tynkere said:

Couple of thumbnails...

"Darius & Freinds"

“Garret” and the cat look horrible.  Skin (and fur) looks plastic & cheesy compared to updated Darius & Vicky 8.  (Grateful to a couple of members here who helped me correct Darius, or would’ve been a return.)

3.) Learn how to make things like sunglasses semi-transparent while still being reflective.

"50's Advert"

Second thumbnail might need a bit of background.  Came across a vintage calendar at an estate sale.  “Bryant Plumbing & Electrical Company” had the “Bryant Girl” posing with products each month.  She had on roll up jeans, and a red plaid shirt.  Even B&W shoes!  So I copied one pose where she’s showing off a sump pump or some piece of machinery.  The copy is fun.  “Your basement will never flood again-- Guaranteed!”

50’s trailer was on sale, so “Trailer Girl” model just needs two tone shoes and a plaid shirt.  No luck at store, so if anyone knows where poor Vicky might get these items.  “What’s a poor super fashion model to do!”

Goals:

3.) Anything else to improve composition.  (Her hand needs adjustment.  The trailer needs to be moved to left, or close door a bit so it isn't growing out of her head.)

I like your starts here - your photography/layout background definitely shows. I'm not artistic at all - and that shows, too. I just like playing with virtual paper dolls wink. That said, I always appreciate feedback and critique. I can be resistant to itl, but it always pushes me to try things outside my comfort box. For your questions:

Semi-transparent but still reflective glass - there are some awesome iRay glass shaders out there. I personally love this one: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-glass-workshop. You can also use the Surfaces tool to select the glass in the glasses and go into the Surfaces tab to play with the settings. You may have to apply the Uber shader first to get all the shader options, but I've gotten some pretty good glass surfaces just playing with the reflection, refraction, and cutout opacity settings.

Plaid flannel shirt: I picked this one up really cheap earlier in the PC+ sale - it's bundled in several other products, inclulding Carrara: https://www.daz3d.com/town-and-country-for-genesis. You may also find something if you search for flannel shirt at ShareCG

Two-tone oxford shoes: I get a LOT of mileage out of Everyday 1950 for Genesis (with maps for Victoria 5). Not just the shoes, but a nice circle skirt, a plain, non-sexy blouse, serviceable socks and a nice, loose cardigan. There are a couple of texture add-ons that expand the options further - and if you're a PC+ member, they're just $1.99 each.

ricswika said:

I like those materials, the only thing is the clothes on the first dude look 'too new'. Like he just got a new pair of clothes. Good place to add some grunge perhaps?

Rendered version c last night, using A Touch of Dirt for Iray to grunge up the clothing of the two runners, and moved the running member back some so he wasn't right on top of his teammate.

Nice!

Chameo said:

Very realistic. I am looking forward to seeing where you go with her.

edited November 2017
    Tynkere said:
    Goals:

Looks pretty good on layout. As you said, work on  lighting for more depth.

Check the models left eye, it might be looking to one side. For thiese kind of shots, it is convinient to use 'point at' under 'misc' for each eye set to the camera. That way the eyes will always look straight at the camera if if you move things around, You probably knew that, but just in case that might help.

Post edited by ricswika on
    ricswika said:

Good suggestion @ricswika

Rendered version c last night, using A Touch of Dirt for Iray to grunge up the clothing of the two runners, and moved the running member back some so he wasn't right on top of his teammate.

Nice use of A Touch of Dirt for Iray. I think I would have put different shaders on the boots and belt (different than the pants). Right now, the belt, boots and pants look like they are molded from one piece.

daybird said:

I understand you getting sidetracked with dForce. I'm caught in that trap, too. wink I'd recommend a lighter shader on the curtains, so the texture shows up more. Or maybe the scene just needs more light. I look forward to your further development of the scene.

ricswika said:

Those rats loo demonic!  This is a clever scene and clever use of materials to illustrate the transition.

Chameo said:

You did a very nice job on the skin and the fabrics look well coordinated. She does seem kind of lost and floating in the dark background, so I'll watch for your next iteration to see how you develop the scene.

Tynkere said:

Couple of thumbnails...

"Darius & Freinds"

"50's Advert"

Goals:

@Tynkere what render engine are you using (Iray? 3Delight? other?). Knowing that will help people offer suggestions for improving the look of skin, tires, grass, etc. Which generation of Vicky are you using (Victoria 4,5,6,7, or 8)? Knowing that will help people offer suggestions for that plaid shirt and saddle shoes you are looking for.

I'd recommend adjusting the girl's eyes to look at the camera or at the item she is demonstrating. Right now, it looks like she is looking off to the left side (her right) out of the picture.

It is a good idea to set goals for yourself. I like that you've done that and listed them in your post. It looks like you've done a good job on the pose.

@  Chameo

I wouldn't say you aren't artistic.  I mean what's "artistic" mean anyway?  You have imagination and that-- in my book-- is worth far more than technical expertise.  For example, really like one you did in September-- just captures the imagination for some reason.  Hopefully I can link it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/45/9702d41b19060878ddba6efd44049a.png

Thanks very much for wardrobe suggestions.  I'd seen a couple, but thought Genesis clothing incompatible with G8 series.  That's really helpful to know I can go further back than G3.

As for "Shyra" piece, thanks for giving me the green light.  Since no context yet, a bit early, but I like how you can get characters looking nice natural and relaxed rather than posed.

@ Ricswika

Heh.  Knew someone was going to catch mistake with the eyes.  Was messing around with power-pose & must've hit "undo" one time too many.  Good call though.  Looks like she's bored and waiting for paycheck.  ; )

PS:  Is it me, or G8/V8 figures eyes don't quite line up at extreme side-side positions?  Always looks like one eye is about to roll into socket & other isn't tracking the same.

@ Barbult

Sorry about that.  Would help to what what version if seeking tips about materials for them.  ; )

"Darius & Friends" used Vicky 8 , Darius 7, "Garret" for M8, Monique 7, and Millenium Cat

"50s Advert" uses Vicky 8

Thanks for comment about pose.  Took a long time to figure out how to bend /twist legs & feet.   

edited December 2018

Second round, and easy question.  I don't want to do two of these.

Which one do you prefer?

"Sugar in Gas Tank"

50s Ad 

---
    Edit:  Dec. 2018 - weeding out too many files at imgur.  PM if find broken links.

Post edited by Tynkere on