November 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Materials

Comments

•  

Chameo said:

Right?? This is really nicely done. I'm intrigued about the game itself - is it an opening move? Is it a pivotal move? Maybe seeing a little more of the board?

Aside from that, what surfaces did you tinker with? The reflective surfaces on the "white" pieces are glass? Where is the color coming from on the white squares? Inquiring minds want to know! (Also, if you attach the image to your comment, people like me can click on it to get an undistracted view of the render!)

See, and again learned something new: Now with attachment :)

Thank you so much for the nice comment. 

Originally, I tinkered with the glass of the pawns. The original model (https://www.daz3d.com/chess-set) comes with a 3D delight glass shader that is already pretty good, I converted that to Iray and fiddled with several settings, but in the end the solid glass shader that comes with DS4 is pretty much perfect. 

Then the black pieces, that just were far too glossy. I wanted them to have a more Obsidian look. Kinda... 

And the board itself. The model has a glass pane on top of the board for some reason and that reacted totally weird with the lighting, I tried a lot of things but in the end just make it invis and pulled all the pieces down to the actual board. 

The board shader is the marble shader that comes with the set, with a few adjustments for glossiness and brightness to give it a "stony" feel. 

And then the hands... 

I still have no idea why the black player's hands have no gloss wahtsoever but uhm... I just was too tired to try and fiddle some more ;)

Fun story, in my first final render I suddenly noticed that the piece in the foreground had a weird checkered pattern, like the background of the render window when no background is added? 

I had turned the Environment dome off in the render settings because I didn't want that extra light... there is a window to their right and the none existent background got reflected....

duh!

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Tynkere said:

Here's revision three I think.

Thanks to Chameo for sunglasses & transparency tips & pointing out "Monique 7" was in shadows.  That gave me the idea to have the culprit (who put sugar in car's gas tank) to be off to the side watching them.  Tend to do stuff like that in comic books. ; )

Is it me, or "Garrett's" skin still looks plastic compared to the others?

Attaching full rez file if anyone wants to see more of the details.  (yes, Darius' left hand is clipping into car)

Enjoy weekend!

---

Oh, and thanks everyone, for comments about the cat btw... Can never tell what people are going to pick up on!  Still think a cat would have guard hair & more detail on tail for example.  Maybe not possible unless future purchases are LAMH compliant?  Am also learning the lingo for various products.  Thanks to Barbult for suggestion.

I really loved the addition of the cat.  They are curious little beings so getting up there to see what's going on is just what one would do.  Either that or jump into the open car door and settle down for a nice nap.

Monique's shoes are slightly intersecting the floor she is standing on.  She needs to be raised slightly.

I'm not sure about Darius' hands intersecting the car but his jean definitely are...very slightly.

It could be a sheen of sweat on Garrett but if you do not want that glossy look try placing with the glossiness settings for the skin in surfaces. 

A great job on this one.  Just a few tweaks ( which never seem to end ).

HighElf said:
    Tynkere said:
    HighElf said:

So I fiddled a bit with the shader mixer and got a big headache. This thing and MDL ain't my cup of tea right now. So instead I tried something else. A surface with a attached geometry shell. I like how easy it is to work with. Here is my current state of WiP. Currently I experient with different bases and look how the frost layer above will turn out.

And Daybird, don't be too harsh to yourself. ;) Today I mixed two different customers up and gave them the wrong exchange money. Stuff like this happens to all of us, this makes us humans. :)

Might be silly observation, or I can't tell on a 4k monitor because renders always look small.

Shadows or something to emphasize flying & height above ground?  Very difficult to see where her shoe ends & the ground frosty ground begins.

Does that make sense?  First time commenting on others' work, so a bit uncertain about it.  Don't want to come off as nit-picky.  : )

Yeah I was missing a Shadow as well, from this angle. But it just got hidden by the angle of all three lightsources. Maybe I can bring it back by an additional Light.

If you can it would help to separate her from the ground.

If you cannot a rim light might help with the separation.

I hope I'm doing this right :D

This was actually such a great way to get back into Daz, I had to relearn Materials and lighting from scratch after not rendering for several years. I fiddled around with the Materials for hours and in the end I took some presets anyways ^^. I can't say I'm comfy with everything yet, but at least I am not completely clueless anymore. 

I'm not really happy with the composition yet, I kinda feel there's something stil missing but heck... isn't that always the case?

You can spend all kinds of time on adjusting, playing, changing materials.  Presets are a great way to learn how the materials are set up and then tweak from there. 

If changing settings I would suggest changing 1 at a time and check the results.  It is tedious but really the only way to understand the result of any change you make.

As for the composition it may be the fact that your hand is not on a focal point.  I took you image into GIMP and added Rule of Thirds lines.  The January challenge was all about Composition.  You can find the thread here.  DAZ Studio has a Rule of Thirds Guide that may help.

Glad you came back. 

Fussel2107 Image.png
    427 x 324 - 176K
    Daz Studio Rule Of Thirds.png
    1368 x 716 - 108K
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    Tynkere said:

Here's revision three I think.

Thanks to Chameo for sunglasses & transparency tips & pointing out "Monique 7" was in shadows.  That gave me the idea to have the culprit (who put sugar in car's gas tank) to be off to the side watching them.  Tend to do stuff like that in comic books. ; )

Is it me, or "Garrett's" skin still looks plastic compared to the others?

Attaching full rez file if anyone wants to see more of the details.  (yes, Darius' left hand is clipping into car)

Enjoy weekend!

---

Oh, and thanks everyone, for comments about the cat btw... Can never tell what people are going to pick up on!  Still think a cat would have guard hair & more detail on tail for example.  Maybe not possible unless future purchases are LAMH compliant?  Am also learning the lingo for various products.  Thanks to Barbult for suggestion.

Once again a great entry from you. This time full of details and lot of story. The details you all discusses are not a real problemin my eyes. I think the weakest point in your pic is the grass ground. He needs more deep. The wheels are clipping in the ground, what may be normal in grass, but it looks not like that to me. (It looks to solid, don't know how to say it) 

And I find you should get the boy in the background more out of the shadow. When I look at his pose and expression I have the feeling he has much to do with the car problems. ;)

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited November 2017

I hope I'm doing this right :D

This was actually such a great way to get back into Daz, I had to relearn Materials and lighting from scratch after not rendering for several years. I fiddled around with the Materials for hours and in the end I took some presets anyways ^^. I can't say I'm comfy with everything yet, but at least I am not completely clueless anymore. 

I'm not really happy with the composition yet, I kinda feel there's something stil missing but heck... isn't that always the case?

You are off to a great start. Looks pretty and a good project to practice on. I can't really tell what is going on in the game. Is that a check-mate or something important, or just a random starting move? You have a lot of possibilities there.

One side has clear pieces and the other side just black? Why? Isn't is usually back and white? So many questions.

Post edited by ricswika on
    edited November 2017
    ricswika said:
    ricswika said:

Whiskey and Magic Don't Mix

"with the Apothecary unattended..."

This is just a starting point with a lot of materials to work on. I plan to grunge it up' for a more gritty look and to improve the rat 'morphing' into monster seqence somehow.

This is so much fun! Thanks everone for the feedback.

I made a new floor using filter forge to generate three maps  diffuse, bump and normal. It looks amazing in close up, like you can get a splinter. I still want to add specular and metal maps for the little nail heads in the floor, but don't know if they will even show up.

The textures on the rats are just image maps with using 'emission' and 'opacity knock-out' to make them glow and also be semi-transparent.

Here is my final version. Feedback is welcome. It looks a little dark on my laptop display but correct on my good monitor, so I'm not sure if it needs post work.

Whiskey and Magic Dont' Mix

Many materials remade using Filter Forge 6. Rendered in Iray.

Made with...

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited November 2017

I have moved the lights further forward to light the pillows better and added some shadows which show on the girl's legs and the table legs

I have also moved the table so the girl's legs can be seen and added a cup and saucer.

Girlsittingroomv2.jpg
    890 x 711 - 114K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Terrific! although I see why you might've been cleverly covering up her right foot (viewers left.)  Probably have to scale love seat and table by same percent so her foot meets the floor, and table isn't too tall.  Been avoiding sitting poses myslef because seems like chairs are always too tall!  ; )

One thing I've noticed from both last month and this portrait is you seem to have a knack for nice, relaxed facial expressions.   Just a suggestion, but if you want to build on that, considered zooming in for a closer view of her face?     Just a thought, but like it so far.  Hands look natural as well, but keep returning to her facial expression.  Quite nice!  Like the tea cup too. 

@ Everyone,

Thanks everyone for suggestions, tips & encouragement.

Think this will do it, although I think Daybird called it right in saying the grass texture is horrible.  Looks like green linoleum tile-- not grass at all.

“Sugar in Gas Tank” done in DS 4.10

Major resources used:

1961 AM Roadster
    Darius 7 - Diesel Hair
    Garrett for M8 - Buzzed Hair for G2/G3
    Millennium Cat
    Modern Bungalow
    Monique 7 - Karissa Hair
    Terradome3
    Victoria 8 - Whitney Hair for G3 & G8

_Darius_-and_Friends-R004_Final.jpg
    2922 x 2191 - 4M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Tynkere said:

Terrific! although I see why you might've been cleverly covering up her right foot (viewers left.)  Probably have to scale love seat and table by same percent so her foot meets the floor, and table isn't too tall.  Been avoiding sitting poses myslef because seems like chairs are always too tall!  ; )

One thing I've noticed from both last month and this portrait is you seem to have a knack for nice, relaxed facial expressions.   Just a suggestion, but if you want to build on that, considered zooming in for a closer view of her face?     Just a thought, but like it so far.  Hands look natural as well, but keep returning to her facial expression.  Quite nice!  Like the tea cup too.

Good observations. The posing and expression are very nice.I also noticed the apparent scale mismatch between the character and the furniture. I like the idea of zooming in, too. I'd keep the whole body, but eliminate some of the extra room on all 4 sides. We don't need the black ceiling at all, in my opinion. Maybe a camera view that is a little to the side, not direct on to the couch would add interest, too. I like that the character is looking into the camera, though.

edited December 2018

For something completely different, I didn't forget about that retro 50's ad, even though it's a bit silly.  smiley

Besh wishes everyone!

--Bruce

---
    Edit:  Dec. 2018 - weeding out too many files at imgur.  PM if find broken links.

Retro50sAd.jpg
    2922 x 2191 - 8M
    _50sAd_SourceFinal.jpg
    2922 x 2191 - 5M
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • ChameoChameo Posts: 306
    ricswika said:
    Here is my final version. Feedback is welcome. It looks a little dark on my laptop display but correct on my good monitor, so I'm not sure if it needs post work.

Whiskey and Magic Dont' Mix

Many materials remade using Filter Forge 6. Rendered in Iray.

Made with...

It looks fine on my monitor - and nice work! The "cauldron" looks great, too. I think you've got this one nailed.

sueya said:

I have moved the lights further forward to light the pillows better and added some shadows which show on the girl's legs and the table legs

I have also moved the table so the girl's legs can be seen and added a cup and saucer.

Good suggestions from both Barbult and Tynkere - I hadn't really thought about it, but I do end up scaling either furniture or figures fairly often to get a good fit.

Tynkere said:

@ Everyone,

Thanks everyone for suggestions, tips & encouragement.

Think this will do it, although I think Daybird called it right in saying the grass texture is horrible.  Looks like green linoleum tile-- not grass at all.

“Sugar in Gas Tank” done in DS 4.10

Major resources used:

1961 AM Roadster
    Darius 7 - Diesel Hair
    Garrett for M8 - Buzzed Hair for G2/G3
    Millennium Cat
    Modern Bungalow
    Monique 7 - Karissa Hair
    Terradome3
    Victoria 8 - Whitney Hair for G3 & G8

Very nice finish. BTW, if you use Carrara at all, there's a nice real hair product for the Millenium Cat for use in Carrara.

edited November 2017

Here's my final version of Shyra. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably make the two watchers larger, so that they each take up the top third on their respective sides.Ah, who am I kidding? I had to stop and go set that up to start rendering to see how it comes out. Meanwhile, in this version - a little compositing to brighten the watcher with the scrying bowl and attempt to fix the foot (it's actually not clipping into the ground - it's hidden behind a little hillock in the ground plane.) Other than that, the only post work in this version is the text. Oh, and footprints!

Shyra book cover.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 7M
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • Chameo said:

Here's my final version of Shyra. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably make the two watchers larger, so that they each take up the top third on their respective sides.Ah, who am I kidding? I had to stop and go set that up to start rendering to see how it comes out. Meanwhile, in this version - a little compositing to brighten the watcher with the scrying bowl and attempt to fix the foot (it's actually not clipping into the ground - it's hidden behind a little hillock in the ground plane.) Other than that, the only post work in this version is the text. Oh, and footprints!

Looks great, but is Shyra supposed to be floating like she seems to be?  Other then that, like I said looks great.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here is a more close up version of my image. I think this shows off the materials textures better than previous versions. The furniture is now in better proprtion to the woman too.

GirlinSittingroomv3.jpg
    890 x 711 - 125K
    sueya said:

Here is a more close up version of my image. I think this shows off the materials textures better than previous versions. The furniture is now in better proprtion to the woman too.

Oh, that's nice. The closer view really brings out the patterns on the sofa pillows, and the low angle and leg position just pulls the eye up to her face. Without all that other space to get lost in, her expression really comes across... there's something very sweet and likeable about her.

Chameo said:

Stunning...especially at full resolution. Makes me want to know more about the story.

• Was hit by a fifth idea today, here it is.

nov2017-5a.png
    1080 x 872 - 1M
  • I want to thank you all so much for your help. 

I made a little more of the chess board visible to make it obvious that it's the first move. Fixed the lighting a little and fixed the perspective above all things. 

I'm now actually really happy with it!

Thank you!

TheRightMove-V2.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited November 2017

Here is my entry called Small Church. I tried to learn to use these shaders https://www.daz3d.com/layer-shader-for-daz-studio and after some time I finaly made it thanks to this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30358/layer-shader-for-daz-studio and I have added vines to the walls of A Curious Chapel.

Small church.jpg
    1076 x 1290 - 1M
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited November 2017

I want to thank you all so much for your help. 

I made a little more of the chess board visible to make it obvious that it's the first move. Fixed the lighting a little and fixed the perspective above all things. 

I'm now actually really happy with it!

Thank you!

Looks good. Is that a hidden trap door on the board. I see a very light square crease.

• lol. no. maybe?

It's more likely a texture error in the original texture

lol. no. maybe?

It's more likely a texture error in the original texture

I think you're right about that. I can see faint seam lines across sevreal of the black squares, too. Regardless - very very nice job on this. The lighting is lovely - and I notice the slight change of position (or camera angle) that hides the other player's hand that you weren't happy with. Creative fix!

Was hit by a fifth idea today, here it is.

I like this, Shinji - what did you use for the flames on on the weapon? It looks like the spellcaster ribbons but not quite...

Here is my entry called Small Church. I tried to learn to use these shaders https://www.daz3d.com/layer-shader-for-daz-studio and after some time I finaly made it thanks to this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30358/layer-shader-for-daz-studio and I have added vines to the walls of A Curious Chapel.

Wonderfully eerie - that sky is amazing!

edited November 2017

And this is really my final version. FWIW, I'm still not happy with the skirt - at this transparency level, you can see how the fabric doesn't -quite- fit her form from hip-to-waist, and it looks stiffer than I'd like. I think I'll have to learn more about dForce (and about the geometry editor, too).

...I couldn't just leave it alone, of course. I'm not updating the render, but I did go back and play with the skirt. Attaching the spot render of just that piece.

Shyra book cover-final.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 7M
    shyra skirt fix.jpg
    2800 x 2800 - 646K
    Post edited by Chameo on
  • I am brand new to 3d art and rendering. Just a week ago I started using daz3d and was blown away at how much you can accomplish especially with iRay! I have scoured forums and posts to try and learn and understand about lighting and getting a grasp on the reigns of all the immense options. I was so excited to get renders out and after learning about the differences of 3delight and iRay I was sold on iRay and even ended up getting a new graphics card to render in it since I have used an AMD card for last couple of years for photoshop and adobe premiere work.

I made this image using hdr studio light setup and wanted the unique studio colors to reflect the light not only on the glossy black car but off the models hair. After reading several posts and finally just deciding to take the time while in iRay view, I started messing with the controls individually to try and get something reflective on the hair to show the colors as well as to make the hair look more realistic. In my first several days rendering out images the one aspect that seemed most unrealistic, to me, was the hair so I really paid attention to that here.

TianaCarBikinGood4k.png
    3840 x 2160 - 5M