dForce Compliant Clothing: Love, Hate, Indifferent...?

As of today, there have been 13 items of dForce compliant clothing released, (all for the ladies, darn it.) I'm not counting addon textures.

The following items were released the day version 4.10 with dForce was released, or the day after. (So far, there has been nothing since.)

1. dForce Summer Angel Outfit for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
  2. dForce Gored Dress for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
  3. dForce Genevieve Gown for Genesis 8 Female(s)
  4. dForce Summer Dream for Genesis 8 Female(s)
  5. dForce Trumpet Dress for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 Female(s)
  6. dForce Frey Healer Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)
  7. dForce Shawl Style for Genesis 3 Female(s)
  8. dForce Fiona Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s)
  9. dForce Night Shirt and Slippers for Genesis 8 Female(s)
  10. dForce Sleeveless Ruffle Dress for Genesis 8 Female(s)
  11. dForce Vintage Style Flapper Dress for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
  12. dForce Casual Style Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)
  13. dForce Free Spirit Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)

I thought it would be fun for us to critique the products, and let the vendors know what we like and what we don't like about the existing products; what features get us excited and what features leave us thinking "meh" ; and what missing features would have made the sale.

My very first cirtique is simple, "Why nothing for the men?" Pants might be best left to conforming, (I certainly have had no luck draping trousers.) But what about shirts, jackets, hoodies, historical costumes with capes and skirts, tunics, togas, gandouras and other traditional desert clothing, wizard/mage robes... the list goes on. I want my men to looks as realistic as the women!

My hats off to PandyGirl, WildDesigns, Aave Nainen, and DestinysGarden for giving us clothing that supports both G3F and G8F. And an Honorable Mention goes to tentman for giving us G3F dForce clothing. Even if he didn't support both generations, he didn't turn his back on the many people who don't want to move away from G3F.

Now, what I really liked: A nice selection of contemporary clothing one might actually see on a woman in real life. Skirts that come down to the knee, or close to it. Understated elegance, (the Trumpet Dress,) Clothing a woman could wear to work and not get sent home or fired, (Gored Dress, Summer Dream, Shawl Style, Casual Style,) fun and flirty, without overt sexual overtones, (Summer Angel, Fiona, Vintage Style Flapper,) even a nice fantasy outfit that's skimpy without being over-the-top.

And what I didn't like: The products offered so far have been exceptionally nice, so much so, I have to be really nit-picky to find anything critcal to say, (about all but one.) Strictly based on personal preference, (and many years of sewing, from bridal gowns and prom dresses to blue jeans and casual shirts,) I didn't like the uneven hemline of Summer Angel, and I think the ruffled collar on Fiona is too full, with more gathering and bigger folds than the skirt. (I would have made the collar less full, and either left the skirt as is, or made it a little fuller.) Even though it's named "Trumpet" Dress, I would have liked an option that removed the thrailing end of the skirt. Even better, another, shorter length to make it semi-formal. The dress would then be more versatile.

But there is one dress that ends up on my "hate it" list: The Genevieve Gown. I like the tight waistline. However, I don't like skirts that are designed for the bottom to lay on the ground, even when wearing heels. I keep expecting the character to fall and break her arm or leg. It looks good on draperies. On clothing, not at all, IMO. But I truly hate that bodice. The halter top doesn't lay on the neck like fabric would, and doesn't appear to touch the breasts at all, which is unrealistic. Even in the promos, it looks like the top was left conforming, while the skirt drapes. If I were of an age and shape to wear such a dress, I'd be uncomfortable, afraid "the girls" would slip out if moved, and I'd be looking down all the time, making sure I didn't trip on the hem.

(For the record, I did purchase the Free Spirit outfit, and several other dresses are on my wishlist.)

Again, these are observations based on my personal preferences. What do you think of these outfits? Let's give the PAs lots of usable feedback.

Comments

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,944
    edited November 2017

To your first aside, I actually think draping trousers would be very useful, but also have not had much luck with it yet (they tend to just... fall down). I do expect it will be a bit before we see more men's options.

I am curious about other people's experiences though (and I mention this in this thread, because I am interested in limiting the experience to these items that are "made for" dForce), because I still have one problem even with the items that are set up for dForce. One in every 4 or 5 times, whether I am using an animation or just going from the memorized pose, even items designed for dForce blow up. But it isn't every time, I can sometimes go back and redo the same scene, and it works. I've only gotten 3 or 4 of these items, but have seen this with all of them.

Is this something that others are seeing? Is it just a memory issue and my laptop can't quite handle many simulations in a row, and that's what causes it? Before, when it was clothing that wasn't labeled as dForce, it could have been anything from intersecting geometry, unwelded edges, or just not having the material settings right. With these, though, I wouldn't expect issues out of the box. And because it isn't just some with issues and some without, I don't think it's a fault in the product designs.

Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

To your first aside, I actually think draping trousers would be very useful, but also have not had much luck with it yet (they tend to just... fall down). I do expect it will be a bit before we see more men's options.

I am curious about other people's experiences though (and I mention this in this thread, because I am interested in limiting the experience to these items that are "made for" dForce), because I still have one problem even with the items that are set up for dForce. One in every 4 or 5 times, whether I am using an animation or just going from the memorized pose, even items designed for dForce blow up. But it isn't every time, I can sometimes go back and redo the same scene, and it works. I've only gotten 3 or 4 of these items, but have seen this with all of them.

Is this something that others are seeing? Is it just a memory issue and my laptop can't quite handle many simulations in a row, and that's what causes it? Before, when it was clothing that wasn't labeled as dForce, it could have been anything from intersecting geometry, unwelded edges, or just not having the material settings right. With these, though, I wouldn't expect issues out of the box. And because it isn't just some with issues and some without, I don't think it's a fault in the product designs.

I've only purchased one of the dForce clothing items, the Free Spirirt outfit, but I haven't had it explode on me. I'm running the latest 4.10 beta, which is the same build as the current release. With the first beta, there were problems with memory leaks, but I'm pretty sure they took care of that in the second beta. One thing you might try is to "Clear" the simulation before simulating again. As the Clear button is immediately below the Simulate button on the Simulation Settings tab, it's pretty easy to remember.

Other than that, what do you think of the dForce products you bought? Which ones did you get?

edited November 2017

I've got the Gored Dress and Summer Dream (looks like the third one was the one that came with the dForce starter kit?), and plan to get the Flapper Dress while it is still on sale (love the fringe!)

I got them for similar reasons you mentioned, they have a modern style and not too short a length. I will probably end up getting a longer style like the Trumpet Dress eventually.

Of the two I got, when they do work without exploding, they have been draping beautifully. The cloth "thickness" seems good too, which was a big reason I wanted to use some "built for dForce" clothes, as using the default settings on some old clothes sometimes ends up with everything looking like silk, too thin and slippery. I will try to get some renders in the next day or two. The Summer Dream dress also looks great with the sleeves removed, which is what I was hoping for. The material zones are just right to look like a strap style top, and still drape naturally.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I also am looking at the Casual Style outfit. I know dresses are a go-to piece of clothing for dyanmic cloth, but I like to see more shirt (and, yes, trouser! *And I forgot, but long coats!) styles as well, so I want to support that.

I'm on the production release, but I'll try to keep some of your tips in mind and see if I can get some more consistent results to post.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited November 2017

Well so far it is all ladies wear... which means no sales for me... plus it kind of look is like marvelous clothing designer stuff... which we’ve had sold in the store already. By various pas. Cloth isn’t always thin. The fact if kind of looks thin and artificial to me. Where are thick cotton hoodies? 

Plus and to be honest I can’t use that many dresses. I rarely wear or render dresses or skirts so I’m  not overly excited by the outfits 

im actually a bit surprised the store went with dforce. It seems rather cumbersome to me.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited November 2017

I bought Free Spirit Outfit, Fiona Dress, and Summer Dream. I've used all three on various models (including fitting to G3F models) and in various poses.

Summer Dream seems like the easiest to simulate, because it is fairly simple. I haven't had any explosions or errors with that one. It works right out of the box with no fiddling necessary for me. I'd recommend it as a good one to start with. It comes with shoes and 4 nice textures. Additional textures are available. It is made by esha; for me, that alone is an indicator of quality.yes

Fiona Dress, with all the ruffles, can be a bit of a pain with extreme poses. I've had numerous failures with that one. Usually after some fiddling with settings I can get it to look OK. In my sitting pose test, it simulated OK, but had a bit of poke through. I I turned on smoothing, which got rid of most of it. It comes with 4 lovely textures, but no shoes. The textures render overly bright in my scenes. When everything else looks correct, Fiona Dress looks too bright. Maybe the metalic flakes are causing that??? I've submitted a help request already about Fiona Dress, because when you load it in the scene, it sets the animation frame count to 571. That seems like a bug to me. CS says they are contacting the PA to see if it is intentional.frown

Free Spirit has given me some problems with sitting poses. The vertical folds under the breasts just don't look right or drape right. I was using Victoria 8 (a supported model according to the product page). I've tried fiddling with the settings and simulating over and over, but I haven't achieved a realistic seated pose drape yet. It looks "OK", but not real natural. The product comes with shoes, too. The product page says it has 5 material options, but I only see 4. The product page says it comes with both Iray and 3Delight materials, but I got only Iray materials in my Daz Connect installation. Time for another help request. sad

V8 Summer Dream Sitting dForce.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    V8 Fiona Dress Sitting dForce.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    V8 Free Spirit Sitting dForce.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

@barbult, I'm not seeing any files for 3DL materials in the file list, (via DIM.) nor a fifth set of materials. I suspect the fix will be to correct the product page.

I've only tried one pose with Free Spirit, the figure leaning against the wall, and the dress became very form fitting around her groin area. With that much fabric, a dress like that would pull the fabric taugh just from the weight under her. I didn't render it. Maybe I should. And I really need to try a sitting pose.

As so little has tempted me in the current sale, so far, maybe I should go ahead and buy another dress. (I've been saving my money for upcoming male characters from Darwins Mishap(s)...) My first choice was actually the Shawl Style, but I opted for Free Spirit because it's a DO and therefore a cheap way to get started using dForce compliant clothing.

im actually a bit surprised the store went with dforce. It seems rather cumbersome to me.

I was under the impression dForce is Daz's own code. Maybe one of the Daz_ mods will pop in and verify it is, or set me straight if it isn't.

• Thanks again for the tip about clearing the simulations instead of just restarting the simulations on the timeline. I still get random explosions, but less frequently, and at least now I know it is more likely memory/resource related, and to restart studio and try again rather than assuming it's a problem with the pose. My success the past few days convinced me to go ahead and get the Vintage Style Flapper Dress and the Casual Style Outfit as well, so hopefully will have some time to review those in the next few days.

Now that I've had time to work with this more, I really, really like the Summer Dream dress. All the things I said before about modern, contemporary look and not too short obviously still apply, but I also tried a sitting pose (images attached, ignore the mannequin expression and look at that cloth!). Those half-lock folds are great. I assume she is reaching to adjust her skirt, but the position made sense for how I got the figure into that pose, and I liked the look of the cloth. I mentioned it before, but the "thickness" of the cloth helps a lot here. This also simulated really, really fast. I realize that is probably more about the dForce engine than anything the folks developing the clothing are doing, but it is great for experimenting.

I don't have renders handy (will probably get a few tomorrow), but doing some walking poses with the Gored Dress, it is also working out great, and it is keeping its shape very well through the movement. A lot of my tests with old products using dForce would tend to look kind of limp and wilted, so it's good to see some "sturdier" fabric when it's done right!

Which gets me to the "things I like", "things I'd like to see more of" part. Looking at the Summer Dream bodice, it is very form-hugging, but not because just isn't dynamic, it is dynamic but by design holds that shape. Now I didn't get Free Spirit yet, but barbult's render showed what I hoped to see, that by design it is draping over the breasts and torso more loosely. I like to see the attention to the types of cloth in a single garment, and that seems to be consistent from the promos for all of the dForce items in the store. It's more variety than cotton forms all draped the same way.

So the thing I might like to see more of would be the possibility of "fabric presets" for garments. The way a silk dress would drape differently than velvet in the same cut. Or... well I don't know my dress materials well, but looking at wool versus chino versus denim trousers, they will fold and crease differently. Or a new wool sweater would hug or drape differently than one that has been worn and washed for years. Since the end results to the dforce settings seem to differ a lot based on the mesh, it may not be possible for "fabric" presets the way we have shader presets for different materials now, but it seems like a good opportunity for add ons to clothing items.

And I'll repeat my "trousers and long coats" just one more time wink.

summer_dream_sample_01.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
    summer_dream_sample_02.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

I like the look and style of most of the items that have been released so far, but I find it frustrating that most of them are G8F or Iray only. It is reasonable and understandable, but not very helpful for me. Because of these issues, I am largely indifferent to the dForce compliant clothes and am concetrating on using my existing library with dForce. I have put two on my wishlist, Shawl Style and Casual Style Outfit, and will continue to look at future offerings.

• For what it's worth, over half of the releases have G3F versions.

• Well so far it is all ladies wear... which means no sales for me... plus it kind of look is like marvelous clothing designer stuff... which we’ve had sold in the store already. By various pas. Cloth isn’t always thin. The fact if kind of looks thin and artificial to me. Where are thick cotton hoodies? 

Plus and to be honest I can’t use that many dresses. I rarely wear or render dresses or skirts so I’m  not overly excited by the outfits 

Same for me. No men's items, no sales. I think the outfits released look great. I would expect nothing less of the PA's who released them. They always do wonderful work. But the very noticable lack of male content lately has saved me quite a bit of money although DarwinsMishap and Zevo pretty much got all of that today. Plus I have yet to even try dForce. I'm just about scared half to death to even open the tab inside DS with all this talk of crashes, lockups, CL this, GL that. Update this, switch over to that. I have too many large projects going for me to even think of plunging into dForce. I do hope it's successful though and we see a ton of this dynamic stuff. I love Poser dynamics and eventually would like to try DForce.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437

I did not get 4.10 yet since I feel it's too much unreliable at the time being. So I'll wait for some fixes to come out before getting it.

That said, I believe dynamic clothing and hair is a big step forward for DS. For sure it can improve, for example a proxy modifier for fast simulation would be nice for animation. I still using Blender for rendering and animation because it has so many powerful tools. But I'm glad to see that DS is growing up.

Zylox said:

I like the look and style of most of the items that have been released so far, but I find it frustrating that most of them are G8F or Iray only. It is reasonable and understandable, but not very helpful for me. Because of these issues, I am largely indifferent to the dForce compliant clothes and am concetrating on using my existing library with dForce. I have put two on my wishlist, Shawl Style and Casual Style Outfit, and will continue to look at future offerings.

Two things about G8F clothing. 1) G3F and G8F are so close, they can share each other's skin and wardrobe, (though it's a bit more work putting G8 skin on G3 than the other way around.) You can use Sickleyield's tutorial to make G8F clothing fit G3F (and vice-versa,) without using auto-fit. It's really very easy, though shoes are hit or miss, and probably always will be. 2) Using Redz's tutorial on creating clones, (used to transfer G3 shapes to G8 before Singular Blues wrote a script for that,) shows you how to create a G8F clone for your G3F, allowing you to dress your G3F in G8F clothing using Auto-Fit, if you don't want to use Sickleyield's method. (Check out Morphs from G3 to G8 for more information.)

And of course, the whole point of making clothing dynamic is being able to use it across generations.

As for Iray materials, there is a free IrayTo3Delight conversion script. That link takes you to the forum thread where you can download the script and get support.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Padone said:

I did not get 4.10 yet since I feel it's too much unreliable at the time being. So I'll wait for some fixes to come out before getting it.

That said, I believe dynamic clothing and hair is a big step forward for DS. For sure it can improve, for example a proxy modifier for fast simulation would be nice for animation. I still using Blender for rendering and animation because it has so many powerful tools. But I'm glad to see that DS is growing up.

dForce may have issues—after all, it is in it's infancy—but I've found 4.10 to be as stable as 4.9 in other areas. You can always "purchase" the beta and then have both the 4.9 release version and the 4.10 beta installed. If 4.10 doesn't meet your expectations, just go back to using 4.9, as you won't have uninstalled it.

@AlmightyQUEST, that dress looks really nice in those renders. I broke down and bought the Shawl Style outfit. I just need to make the time to try is. (Busy now doing renders for the PC+ and render your cart competition, which closes November 9th at Daz Midnight.)

• After using MD for a while Dforce just feels crap and slow. All Dforce clothing looks Dforce because it's so plain, if it has properly painted weight maps and set up most non Dforce outfits look better.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749

"And of course, the whole point of making clothing dynamic 
    is being able to use it across generations."

True in theory but this is not truly a general dynamic cloth sover
    it is a "hybrid" solver design to work with existing conformers
    Conformers already purpose built for specific figures(G3,G8)

• wolf359 said:

There's nothing to stop people loading the clothes without fitting them, posing the figure inside the clothing in frame 0, then applying the target pose (or animation) in frame 30 or so and doing a dynamic drape.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I've only bought the Fiona dress because of the fact it's pretty, it has nice details with the ruffles and can pass as something a child, a teen and an adult can all wear. Plus it doesn't look like a step back in time to the plain boring dynamic clothing of the old days with no details, no trim, no pizazz.  Like textured sacks that hang from the shoulders or waist.  Blah.  I haven't rendered it yet.  will post back when I do.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

For the folks looking for dForce clothing for the fellas, the new PC+ Cool Casual https://www.daz3d.com/cool-casual-for-genesis-3-males works well with dForce, I took the liberty of creating dForce settings for it and put a Scene file here: 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/207066/dforce-verified-functional-clothing-out-of-the-box/p4

Just open the scene in Studio and save the dForce settings via save as Materials Preset. I did give the jacket a wee offset modifier to improve collision with the shirt,  just check out the complete scene setup to see what I did.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    wolf359 said:

There's nothing to stop people loading the clothes without fitting them, posing the figure inside the clothing in frame 0, then applying the target pose (or animation) in frame 30 or so and doing a dynamic drape.

I experimented with this, and there was a problem with the belts/buttons which, not being fitted to the model, didn't move when the model did and instead remained floating where they'd originally been placed. Which can probably be worked around in various ways, but it was not an ideal result.

edited November 2017

Thanks for the tip and the presets on that, Aave Nainen!

*I also wanted to add, when I saw it in the store it looked like it might be designed for dforce compatibility. So I am curious, is there a reason some items are coming out and not being specifically sold as such? Or was this just a matter or the item already going through QA, and changing it would throw off the schedule?

So I am curious, is there a reason some items are coming out and not being specifically sold as such? Or was this just a matter or the item already going through QA, and changing it would throw off the schedule?

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect clothing for dForce may have been submitted later, but released sooner to coincide with the 4.10 release. I would expect by the end of the year, new clothing products being released will be dForce Compliant more often than not. I also expect we will see clothing a bit more complex than the dresses we've already seen released, once the vendors have had more time to work with dForce.

• L'Adair said:

So I am curious, is there a reason some items are coming out and not being specifically sold as such? Or was this just a matter or the item already going through QA, and changing it would throw off the schedule?

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect clothing for dForce may have been submitted later, but released sooner to coincide with the 4.10 release. I would expect by the end of the year, new clothing products being released will be dForce Compliant more often than not. I also expect we will see clothing a bit more complex than the dresses we've already seen released, once the vendors have had more time to work with dForce.

Totally agree, L'Adair. At least from my point of view (and of course only speculating here as well), we've hardly begun to see what PA's can/will do with dynamics and d-Force in general. I expect we'll be seeing some very unique things. But then, I could be overambitious in my expectations... wink

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I really want a decent men's tie using d-force and wool scarf. Not a ladies scarf, or some other item made for Vicky, but a real necktie.

• L'Adair said:

I think Jack has pretty much confirmed that PC items are often, given the need to comission and make and test, quite a long way between first idea and release.

• No useful items on sale thus far for this new feature.  All mostly silly, girly modern wear (a very small market considering all the possibilities).  Where are the medieval capes, cloaks and gowns?  Where is the draping fabric that can be laid over objects? Where is the male clothing?  If you want to market dForce you should have made a variety of different items, not just women's dresses.

• Hi everybody,

I am a content creator. In past, i created many dynamic clothes for Poser and i am very happy to can make dynamic clothes again.

Create casual clothes is not very interesting for me, i prefer create long dress, medieval or fantasy set for women or for men. I am workink about many projets. I hope you and Daz love them.

• wolf359 said:

DAZ requires them to be conforming clothes as well as having a dynamic element to be sold here, or so I've read from a number of PAs. dForce items that come out in other stores likely will not have that restriction.

L'Adair said:

I think Jack has pretty much confirmed that PC items are often, given the need to comission and make and test, quite a long way between first idea and release.

With my own recent experience making G3 clothing work on G8 without using auto-fit, and my struggles to do the same with shoes, (with varying degrees of success and failure,) along with my gross inability to get Hexagon to do anything useful, I have a great appreciation for the work our PAs do and the time it takes for them to do it.

For any PA to create clothing to work with dForce while the code was still in development boggles my mind. It also "explains" to me why the first dForce compliant clothing items are relatively simple dresses, including sleepwear. (That's relatively, as compared to say, Arki's Rune Outfit, or Luthbel's Desperado.) And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if these early dForce items need to be updated as Daz refines the code and adds in functionality.

Hi everybody,

I am a content creator. In past, i created many dynamic clothes for Poser and i am very happy to can make dynamic clothes again.

Create casual clothes is not very interesting for me, i prefer create long dress, medieval or fantasy set for women or for men. I am workink about many projets. I hope you and Daz love them.

I look forward to seeing what you release. Especially clothing for the men!

For many of us, (excluding our friend, SereneNight, lol) it's not that we don't want or like the many options for clothing the ladies. The problem is we can't use a half naked man in all of our renders. Sometimes, many times, the man needs to be fully clothed, and in the same era/genre as the lady in the same scene. It can be very frustrating, and is why we badger PAs like yourself, begging for more clothing for the guys. I hope you don't take it personally.
    angel