dForce Verified Functional Clothing [Out of the Box]

Comments

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

Not quite "out of the box" but here's a Scene Subset with dForce set up on PC+  New Release https://www.daz3d.com/cool-casual-for-genesis-3-males

I've got the figure wearing Suave shoes and socks, and if you don't have those or the pose I've used just load anyway and put the footwear you want on the figure, and change pose at frame 30 to whatever you like.

zip
    zip
    dForce Scene for Cool Casual.zip
    Cool Casual dForced.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 423K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Not quite "out of the box" but here's a Scene Subset with dForce set up on PC+  New Release https://www.daz3d.com/cool-casual-for-genesis-3-males

I've got the figure wearing Suave shoes and socks, and if you don't have those or the pose I've used just load anyway and put the footwear you want on the figure, and change pose at frame 30 to whatever you like.

Wow! Thank you, Aave Nainen! :D You go above and beyond! :)

Italian Bucca Dress for Genesis 2 Female works. :)

Make sure to turn Self Collide to OFF or else the loops act loopy. :P

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited November 2017

This is the G2F version of the Sighni Dress used on G8F (I wanted to try it before buying the official refit released a couple of days ago). I don't (yet) have SickleYield's templates for G8F so autofit is not ideal: a simple walking pose like this one really mashes up the long dress. However I was delighted to find that a dFroce Timeline simulation works excellently - almost no distortion in the mesh so dress textures like this one (Rikur) look just fine.

Sighni-G2F-on-G8F.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 364K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited November 2017
    MelanieL said:

This is the G2F version of the Sighni Dress used on G8F (I wanted to try it before buying the official refit released a couple of days ago). I don't (yet) have SickleYield's templates for G8F so autofit is not ideal: a simple walking pose like this one really mashes up the long dress. However I was delighted to find that a dFroce Timeline simulation works excellently - almost no distortion in the mesh so dress textures like this one (Rikur) look just fine.

I wasn't really interested in this dress until seeing this! Moyra's texture really takes that dress to the next level! Lovely!

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited November 2017

Thanks for the scene subset - I picked up the outfit today so it will be helpful. (Thanks for the other dForce settings for your outfits too.)

MelanieL said:

I wasn't really interested in this dress until seeing this! Moyra's texture really takes that dress to the next level! Lovely!

Thanks. I love Moyra's textures for that dress. I've never been all that happy with scenes with the dress in unless the wearer is standing pretty still, so I'm pleased that it works in dForce (at least for me so far!) because that opens up a far greater range of poses. Same with the MFD.

ETA: Of course I don't know for sure that the G8F version will work with dForce, but I'm guessing that the mesh is identical since the UVs are supposed to be.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,868
    edited November 2017
    MelanieL said:

Great :) I was hoping it would play nice - I set it up for draping in Marvelous Designer so that means it would work well with dForce too.

Post edited by Mada on
    edited November 2017
    Mada said:
    MelanieL said:

Great :) I was hoping it would play nice - I set it up for draping in Marvelous Designer so that means it would work well with dForce too.

@Mada do you usually use that process for your clothing items? I must try some more of them in dForce if so. I think I have quite a few. I saw someone using the Contemporary Romeo shirt with dForce and that looked pretty good.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Another winner, @MelanieL! (I'm not stalking you. Honest.)

MelanieL said:

I feel that way about a lot of the PC+ "base" outfits. The addon textures are generally much nicer than the texture that came with the outfit, and I don't usually buy the base until the addons show up! lol

MelanieL said:

Thanks. I love Moyra's textures for that dress. I've never been all that happy with scenes with the dress in unless the wearer is standing pretty still, so I'm pleased that it works in dForce (at least for me so far!) because that opens up a far greater range of poses.

I usually apply the pose I want to the figure, and if it's a standing pose, I then reset the lower body, and adjust the abdomen as necessary. It's a catch 22: If the skirt conforms, it follows the legs and does weird things cloth would never do; If it doesn't conform, minor movement of the the legs has body parts, (legs, feet, knees, etc.,) poking out of the mesh. I'm really excited to try dForce on these long dresses.

So many outfits to try, so little time!

L'Adair said:

MelanieL said:

I feel that way about a lot of the PC+ "base" outfits. The addon textures are generally much nicer than the texture that came with the outfit, and I don't usually buy the base until the addons show up! lol

hahah Yeah, I've found myself doing that as well - pass up on an outfit and being like "It's kind of cool, but nothing really awesome - I'll pass" then I see a texture released for it and be like "ok, NOW it's awesome". lol You know, they might do that on purpose - to get us to spend more. 

I'm starting to think they do that with the DO characters as well. Lately I've been more interested in the add-on characters then the "official Daz" character that it's based on.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,154
    L'Adair said:

MelanieL said:

hahah Yeah, I've found myself doing that as well - pass up on an outfit and being like "It's kind of cool, but nothing really awesome - I'll pass" then I see a texture released for it and be like "ok, NOW it's awesome". lol You know, they might do that on purpose - to get us to spend more. 

I'm starting to think they do that with the DO characters as well. Lately I've been more interested in the add-on characters then the "official Daz" character that it's based on.

Me, too. When a Mada texture shows up, the base garment suddenly becomes interesting, where before, it was blah.
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,868
    MelanieL said:
    Mada said:
    MelanieL said:

@Mada do you usually use that process for your clothing items? I must try some more of them in dForce if so. I think I have quite a few. I saw someone using the Contemporary Romeo shirt with dForce and that looked pretty good.

For long flowing skirts I usually have it so that at least the skirt can be used in MD so I can add draping morphs in DS. :) I'm still trying to find time to try some of the outfits like this one :

https://www.daz3d.com/myrddin-outfit-for-genesis-3-male

This one should work too if you use a weightmap to keep the decoration and the top part of the outftit stable

https://www.daz3d.com/jade-dream-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

edited November 2017

Thank you, @Mada and L'Adair .

I tried a few more garments this evening. Had a success with Medieval Princess Dress and Missy Outfit, less with Country Girl Outfit (the dress drapes nicely but the lace bits fall off!) and crashes with some others.

Attached are two poses used for Medieval Princess and one for Missy - first is dForce draped, second is the same pose without the simulation.

Medieval-Princess-dForce-1.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 236K
    Medieval-Princess-dForce-2A.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 247K
    Medieval-Princess-dForce-2B.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 214K
    Missy-Dress-dForce.jpg
    500 x 761 - 67K
    Missy-Dress-Undraped.jpg
    514 x 814 - 71K

A tip for long sleeves as well as decreasing sim times: try turning "Start Bones from Memorized Pose" to Off - that seems to both speed up sim times as well as fix long sleeve tangling issues that sometimes happens when starting from the A or T pose.

Wilmap's G3F Summer Dress works really well:

My settings - Self Collide Off, Waistband Dynamic Strength set to 0.

Tab's "test_clothes_for_dForce_G8F" is Really Nice! 

The settings though, imo, need a little adjustments. 

Here's the Flareskirt and Blouse with default settings:

The skirt didn't really drape over her knee so I upped the dynamic strength on the skirt and blouse to 90 and turned Sell Collide Off:

I think that drapes a bit more naturally. It might look better if the dynamic strength on the skirt is turned all the way up to 100. 

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Added dForce settings to Sharecg for Boho for Genesis 3 Females.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/89681/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/dForce_Boho-for-Genesis-3-Female

Thanks so much for this and the others.  Really appreciate it! 

ThatGuy said:
    Chohole said:
    ThatGuy said:
    Mada said:

I tried the Medieval Princess Dress because the sleeves are just waiting for some gravity interaction.    https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-princess-dress-for-genesis-3-females

I do like the natural wrinkling that occured as the hand shifted onto the hip. 

Your image states you did a pre-drape to get rid of the bulbous shoulders.  How do we do that in dforce?  I only know how to set draping in Poser, and since we don't have any sort of pdf or comprehensive tutorials that explain the functions of all the settings, I can't find an answer.

Thanks so much.

edited November 2017
    MelanieL said:

I just used dforce with the G3F version of this dress yesterday and it worked fine.

I'm wondering if I need to get the G8F version since we can go back and forth between the two.  And also, I seem to own a few of the textures for the G2F version of this dress.  Will they work with the G8F version?  A couple of the old add on textures also use MFD shoes and headpiece.

Post edited by sapat on

Here's another one with Tab's new dynamic clothing. The skirt does look better with Dynamic Strength all the way up to 100. Sweatshirt's Dynamic Strength set to 85. Self Collide is Off on both the skirt and shirt.

edited November 2017

Here's another one with Tab's new dynamic clothing. The skirt does look better with Dynamic Strength all the way up to 100. Sweatshirt's Dynamic Strength set to 85. Self Collide is Off on both the skirt and shirt.

That looks really good.

I'm worn out.  I've been trying to get Vintage Rose to work, and it either starts to melt and slide off of her, or it rips apart, or DS shuts down to the desktop.  Enable smoothing is OFF, added a dynamic dforce modifier, hit the sim button and yucky things happen.  Maybe try again tomorrow.

Post edited by sapat on
    sapat said:

That looks really good.

I'm worn out.  I've been trying to get Vintage Rose to work, and it either starts to melt and slide off of her, or it rips apart, or DS shuts down to the desktop.  Enable smoothing is OFF, added a dynamic dforce modifier, hit the sim button and yucky things happen.  Maybe try again tomorrow.

Thank you, sapat. :)

I don't have Vintage Rose, so I can't test it. But as it's multi-layered I recommend turning Self Collide Off. 

Also if there are any seporate bits of the dress that fall off either turn their Dyamic Strength WAY down or even off.

sapat said:

That looks really good.

I have Vintage Rose, but I haven't tried it with dForce. One thing to remember, though, is older clothing can have parts that don't play well with dForce. I was trying to use the V4 Fairy Gown, but the overskirt isn't welded to the rest of the dress, neither is the trim. And the dress itself isn't welded to those spaghetti straps. The whole thing just falls apart. A lack of welded seams may be at play with Vintage Rose.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    sapat said:
    ThatGuy said:
    Chohole said:
    ThatGuy said:
    Mada said:

I tried the Medieval Princess Dress because the sleeves are just waiting for some gravity interaction.    https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-princess-dress-for-genesis-3-females

I do like the natural wrinkling that occured as the hand shifted onto the hip. 

Your image states you did a pre-drape to get rid of the bulbous shoulders.  How do we do that in dforce?  I only know how to set draping in Poser, and since we don't have any sort of pdf or comprehensive tutorials that explain the functions of all the settings, I can't find an answer.

Thanks so much.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#global_properties

---

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#node_properties

---

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#surface_properties

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited November 2017

Afternoon Heat Outfit for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Leggings - Dynamics Strength .75
    UnderTop - Dynamics Strength .80
    OuterTop - Collision Layer 5

dForce_Afternoon_Heat.png
    1050 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
    sapat said:

I don't have Vintage Rose, so I can't test it. But as it's multi-layered I recommend turning Self Collide Off. 

Also if there are any seporate bits of the dress that fall off either turn their Dyamic Strength WAY down or even off.

Where do I find the spot to turn off Self Collide?  I don't see a button or slider for that.  Thanks.

L'Adair said:
    sapat said:

That looks really good.

I have Vintage Rose, but I haven't tried it with dForce. One thing to remember, though, is older clothing can have parts that don't play well with dForce. I was trying to use the V4 Fairy Gown, but the overskirt isn't welded to the rest of the dress, neither is the trim. And the dress itself isn't welded to those spaghetti straps. The whole thing just falls apart. A lack of welded seams may be at play with Vintage Rose.

Yeah, I don't think of things like that since I'm not a modeller and don't know what's a play 'under the hood' of old or new clothing.

Also, where do I turn OFF the dynamic strength on just one part of a garment?  Like the belt on a dress?  Thanks.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    sapat said:
    sapat said:
    Where do I find the spot to turn off Self Collide?  I don't see a button or slider for that.  Thanks.

Surfaces pane/tab -> simulation settings

sapat said:
    L'Adair said:
    sapat said:

Also, where do I turn OFF the dynamic strength on just one part of a garment?  Like the belt on a dress?  Thanks.

Same place in the surface settings assuming it's independent from the other parts of the clothes. If it doesn't have it's own surface/group (eg. belt is welded to the skirt), you have to use the dforce weight node and paint it off.

Cool, thanks!

edited November 2017

y3kman answered first, but I'd like to expand on the answer for others who may come to this thread later.

When you add a dForce modifier to an object, there are a number of new properties added to each surface, or material zone, of the object. These new parameters allow you to specifiy how each surface will react in the simulation. Here is the official list and explanation of those properties:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#surface_properties

To access the new properties, select the object in the Scene tab, then go to Surfaces->Editor->[object] . Double-click on the object to view the list of material zones. With the object selected, you can make changes to all of the zones at once. Just scroll down until you see the properties for dForce beginning with "Visible in Simulation". To make changes to one zone, click on it, and scroll down to the dForce properties. For more than one zone, click on one zone, and then Ctrl+click on the other zones. For example, on an imaginary dress, you could click on Belt, and then Ctrl+click on Buttons, and then turn "Visible in Simulation" Off.

If the Belt and Buttons of our imaginary shirt do not have material zones, go to the top menu and click on Create. Scroll down to and click on Add New dForce Weight Node, (or something like that. Doing this from memory.) With the object selected, choose the Weight Maps tool, and then open the Tool Settings pane. (If you haven't already done so, you may want to dock Tool Settings for easy access.) You can then use the Weight Map tool to "paint" little or no weight to the Belt and Buttons.

Mada tells how much better in this video on Dforce Weightmaps

ETA: I'm pretty sure "Pre-Drape" means using the "Start Bones From Memorized Pose" option, one of the Global Properties you find under the Simulation Settings tab. Here is the official list and explanation of those properties:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#global_properties

(Thank you, @Chohole, for the links to the specific areas of the Start Here posts.)

Post edited by L'Adair on