[Solved] Is there a way to re-orient an object's axis rotation?

KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
edited October 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm modeling a bubble type chair that hangs from the ceiling. So once I modeled the circular part I attached the bracket slightly at an angle because that was the closest flat surface I could use. But when I send it to Daz Studio, it is still tilted at that angle. No matter what way I orient it in Hexagon, it still shows up that way in Studio.

Sure I can re-orient it once it's there, but it's a pain, especially because it's only off by a few degrees on the z-axis. I can rotate it in Hex of course, but the bounding box will still be tilted at an angle as shown in the picture. Is there any way to fix this?

Post edited by Kitsumo on

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited October 2017

Have you tried putting the chair on 0.0.0 in the properties tab ?

Nice looking chair, looks like a fun rigging project :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Have you tried putting the chair on 0.0.0 in the properties tab ?

Nice looking chair, looks like a fun rigging project :)

I tried it, and it didn't help. The bounding box was still rotated as if it "remembers" the original rotation of the model.

One solution I found was to arrange the objects the way I want them, then group them together. The group created keeps that same alignment and it transfers to Studio nicely. I don't know if it's the right solution, but it works.

As for rigging, I still haven't gotten that far. I'm still learning the basics. I figured this chair would be easy because it has no textures and simple materials. Thanks for the help. Do you know how to set up subdivision?

b-chair04.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 143K
  • I think I see, rotating the sphere messed up the centre postition, going the group route will overcome the problem.

Do you know how to change the pivot point in DS ? Ans = Joint Editor and Tool Setting Tab. For what you are doing you want to move the pivot point to the top link of the chain.

There are a number of options to add smoothing in Hex, but have a look at DS.

Sub-D.jpg
    686 x 637 - 95K

I gave rigging a shot and it came out ok. It's not perfect, but good enough for now.

b-chair.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 571K
  • Normally, I export as OBJ after rotation. Then import it into a new HEX file to keep the orientation if it keeps reseting. The same goes for moving, rescaling, etc.

• Kitsumo, have you considered including your render in the Hex gallery here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6884/hex-gallery#latest

You can also include it is the main gallery if you wish - https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/

Great render you've made there, I would very much like to see what you create next :)

Kitsumo, have you considered including your render in the Hex gallery here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6884/hex-gallery#latest

You can also include it is the main gallery if you wish - https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/

Great render you've made there, I would very much like to see what you create next :)

Thanks. I plan to start submitting soon. I'm just practicing now, trying to get better. I try to do a model a day.

windmill.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 57K
    coffee mug.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 64K
    pc wheel.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 90K

Normally, I export as OBJ after rotation. Then import it into a new HEX file to keep the orientation if it keeps reseting. The same goes for moving, rescaling, etc.

Thanks. I'll try that next time I get a chance.

• Glad to hear your going to practice by doing different projects, have you seen Gary Miller's tutorials ? He has done some very good project tutorials, what I like is were he finds (or viewers tell him) a better/easier way of doing things, we never stop learning :)

Geek At Play (Check out the ones by Gary (1-4)) - http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php 

John

• Glad to hear your going to practice by doing different projects, have you seen Gary Miller's tutorials ? He has done some very good project tutorials, what I like is were he finds (or viewers tell him) a better/easier way of doing things, we never stop learning :)

Geek At Play (Check out the ones by Gary (1-4)) - http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php 

They're free, Gary's ones are series 1-4.

John

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

Hex automagically creates the object center on creation and confirms it on export. The object center does not change when it's "rigged" in third-party programs unless they specifically say they change the object's true center. (This could be A Very Bad Thing ™ for lots of reasons.) Since those are often proprietary formats that are designed to "rig" existing geometry, they're not going to usually muck with trying to alter the original object's center on exporting to different formats, since that wouldn't be nice.. All Hex cares about is what the original, translatable, object center coordinates are. (object rotational center, yadda yadda)

Morkonan said:

Hex automagically creates the object center on creation and confirms it on export. The object center does not change when it's "rigged" in third-party programs unless they specifically say they change the object's true center. (This could be A Very Bad Thing ™ for lots of reasons.) Since those are often proprietary formats that are designed to "rig" existing geometry, they're not going to usually muck with trying to alter the original object's center on exporting to different formats, since that wouldn't be nice.. All Hex cares about is what the original, translatable, object center coordinates are. (object rotational center, yadda yadda)

Yes, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Of course, the more I learn, the more questions I have, but I'm not complaining. One thing I'm learning is that every program has its own preferred method of doing things. Thanks for the reply.

edited October 2017

Glad to hear your going to practice by doing different projects, have you seen Gary Miller's tutorials ? He has done some very good project tutorials, what I like is were he finds (or viewers tell him) a better/easier way of doing things, we never stop learning :)

They're free, Gary's ones are series 1-4.

John

I'll definitely check those out. I learn a lot more from videos than from the documentation. 

Edit: Do you ever get one facet that just looks out of place? All the normals are facing the right way as far as I can tell. Do I just have too many facets or should they be arranged more neatly?

projector1.jpg
    640 x 429 - 52K
    projector2.jpg
    640 x 360 - 60K
    projector3.jpg
    982 x 603 - 212K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • Sometimes this is caused by having 2 faces in the same place, To check, either hide the offending face or delete it.

Sometimes this is caused by having 2 faces in the same place, To check, either hide the offending face or delete it.

I think I've figured out what caused it. When I send the model to DS, somehow it added new facets, some of which overlap. I can't really blame the program, I just have to avoid making these odd configurations. I'll probably look at some other people's models to see what I should be doing. Thanks for all the help.

hexagon_proj.jpg
    640 x 480 - 109K
    ds_proj.jpg
    640 x 480 - 109K
  • Gary did a tutorial on making a mobile phone which I think will show you were you went wrong making your model. 

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited October 2017

N-gons must be avoided with some modeling apps. And try not to have more than 8 edges connecting to the same point.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on

N-gons must be avoided with some modeling apps. And try not to have more than 8 edges connecting to the same point.

That makes sense now that I think about it. I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

Another work in progress. I probably won't complete it because I don't know how to texture in Hexagon (or anything else) but it's good practice.

tinier-living-tiny-house-01.jpg
    589 x 516 - 135K
    zzHex.jpg
    923 x 675 - 162K
    zzDS.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 94K
  • You don't need to do this (but it's something I tend to do) try adding a level of smoothing to your model. If/when you give your models to someone chances are they will want to add smoothing at some point, if you have not modeled it properly then things will go wrong.

The tutorials I mentioned earlier cover a project from start to finish, so UV mapping and texturing covered.

Yes, I've seen some of my models go completely haywire when I added smoothing, so now I try to keep that in mind when I'm modeling. I'm looking at one of the geekatplay videos now. That site has way more videos than I thought, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the help.

After watching that video, texturing seems a lot easier in Hex. My previous strategy of 'click this and see what happens' just wasn't working. lol

• I learnt to model from watching Gary and Danny (and a few other Hex'ers) videos so when I see things like the way you've created the windows I think "I remember that causing a problem", it's a learning curve and we all go through it.

The ones where he makes a book and a tree stump are a must I think, he passes on lots of little gems in those :)

Thanks. I'm working my way through the book tutorial. It's been one heck of a weekend and I've barely had time to touch my computer.

I think I'm just going to start a new thread next time I have a question. This thread is way off topic and just all over the place. Thanks for the help.