Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited October 2017
    thd777 said:

The old Optitex clothes work quite well with Dforce. Here is the V4 Century NIght Gown on G3F simulated via time line animation (just one pose in 30 frames). It just rrequired some parameter adjustments to precvent the gown from falling off (the character is smaller and thinner than  V4.

Ciao

TD

If you export as OBJ you could adjust its size before draping.

Yes, that is what I did (actually I simply froze the Optitex sim which produces a prop that can be scaled). However the G3F character is much skinnier than the default V4 shape, so one needs to apply some shrinkage to the top of the gown to make it fit properly (via the dForce surface modifier).

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • The update didn't change anything as far as the OpenCL is concerned. Try restarting the PC\DS and if that doesn't do the trick, uninstall and reinstall DS.

I rolled it back to right before the udpate, about 4 days ago and it works perfectly....

If that was a system restore it will also have rolled back any OS or driver updates. Windows can deliver updates that break OpenGL, so I suppose it 's possible the same might happen with OpenCL (especially where it is the GPU that is being used).

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have windows update turned off (Win7) but I did update the nvidea driver as well, so I think the real culprit was probably the driver.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142
    wargis said:

You need OpenCL 1.2 for dForce.

So no CPU support?

I think you're confusing OpenCL with OpenGL, the graphics card standard. OpenCL is for parallel processing, and there's different versions of the driver installer available depending on your hardware — including versions for CPU and versions for graphics cards.

Oh, it's really confusing. If I understand it right, my main processor (CPU) has Open CL support too, true? It's rather old but rather stable AMD A8-3510MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ( a kind of built-in video GPU), and I haven't updated its drivers from the day of buying my laptop. But it works nice so far and when I googled for itsOpenCL support, I found the technical description of this CPU and it wrote that it has OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1912.5).  I found it on this page, which looks as a dark maze of computer slang for me - http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/gpu.php?which=58258&v=2. ; Cannot find the exact info at the official AMD site. But for my GPU (AMD Radeon HD6750M) I found only that info that it has only OpenCL 1.1. Does it mean that dForce is able to work, when CPU has Open CL 1.2 at least, instead of GPU?

• FWIWFWIW Posts: 320

Do you need to use Daz Connect to download the Beta? 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

Do you need to use Daz Connect to download the Beta? 

Connect doesn't support software. You need to use Daz Install Manager to download and install the beta.

Ahhh thanks! I was going batty. I finally gave in and decided to see if my craptop will use it and was getting increasingly frustrated lol. 

Is it possible to emulate different fabric types the way it was supposed to be possible in Optitex plugin? (I never figured it out) and where is the wind thing I saw mentioned earlier hidden? Thank you. 

Okay after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and some choice swear words) I've come to the conclusion that I am just not going to be able to use this on my.  Its just too old.  The AMD driver is no longer supported and everything I have tried has crashed it to the blue screen of death.  So, I'm not going to keep trying. Its at least 8 years old, I will just have to wait until I can afford to get a new one. Its still kicking for everything else though, so I will just have to use this on the pc, which is my main render computer anyway.

• Is it possible to emulate different fabric types the way it was supposed to be possible in Optitex plugin? (I never figured it out) and where is the wind thing I saw mentioned earlier hidden? Thank you. 

Yes to the first; I believe this is done through the dForce Surface Adjuster, but I haven't tried it yet. The wind thing (dForce Wind Node) is "hiding" in the Create menu. wink

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This was kind of a funny mishap. I went to sim the Captain Cupcake jacket and the pockets and buttons fell off. lol 

I remember someone mentioning a way to keep buttons and pockets on, but I can't find the post. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to keep them from falling off? 

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

Is it Mada's tut the one you're looking for?

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Is it Mada's tut the one you're looking for?

That could be it - I'll check it out. :) Thank you for the link!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    jakiblue said:

L'Adair, that's the best i've ever seen that dress! I have it and hate it, but man, you made it look fantastic.  

L'Adair said:

Here's a render of the dress I was talking about earlier, in this post.

Front View

There are two layers, a short slip and the overdress. I ran Simulate on them both at the same time, single frame, not the Timeline.

Thank you. From an earlier post, here are the weight settings I used, if you decide to give it a try.

L'Adair said:
    I used the marquis to select the top, midsection, and skirt of both items. For the overdress, I used Deselect by to remove the sleeve polys from the bodice. I set the bodice on both to 50%, the midsection to 25% and the skirt to 75%. On the overdress [sleeves], I set the weight to 75% as well.

• Is it possible to emulate different fabric types the way it was supposed to be possible in Optitex plugin? (I never figured it out) and where is the wind thing I saw mentioned earlier hidden? Thank you. 

Yes to the first; I believe this is done through the dForce Surface Adjuster, but I haven't tried it yet. The wind thing (dForce Wind Node) is "hiding" in the Create menu. wink

The settings are broadly similar to those in Marvellous Designer, though i haven't tried mirroring them across to see how they behave.

Okay after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and some choice swear words) I've come to the conclusion that I am just not going to be able to use this on my.  Its just too old.  The AMD driver is no longer supported and everything I have tried has crashed it to the blue screen of death.  So, I'm not going to keep trying. Its at least 8 years old, I will just have to wait until I can afford to get a new one. Its still kicking for everything else though, so I will just have to use this on the pc, which is my main render computer anyway.

Couldn't you share the name of your GPU with that AMD driver, so that I can compare it with mine? My own GPU is also about 7-8 years old and the latest driver for GPU is released in 2013, no newer versions (as for CPU too). I strongly suspect that my situation will be quite like yours. So far I have not much desire to reinstall my DS Beta from 4.9 to 4.10 just to try dForce and make sure it wont't work, because once I managed to find the right beta version which doesn't conflict with my old DS 4.6 and works well with Zbrush via goZ. Rolling back to all this again is very-very frustrating time waste. If there's not an possiblity to work with AMD hardware of 2011-2013 and no CPU support, I understand I'll have to wait too until buying a newer computer. Thanks god, there're some alternatives like DCC and VWD.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Daz keeps giving me a message about "Scrapper" (AMD). What is it and will configuring it mess up any other applications on my computer?

• Daz keeps giving me a message about "Scrapper" (AMD). What is it and will configuring it mess up any other applications on my computer?

Scrapper is the codename for the integrated graphics version of several different AMD Radeon chipsets. And from what I've been able to find, they do support OpenCL 1.2.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    edited October 2017

Daz keeps giving me a message about "Scrapper" (AMD). What is it and will configuring it mess up any other applications on my computer?

AFAIK Scrapper is the code name for the GPU Device used on your card. If you download this

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

It will tell you what your card's capabilities are. Simply run the downloaded file (you can opt to run it as a standalone app), and hover the mouse over the OpenCL section at the bottom.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    wargis said:

Couldn't you share the name of your GPU with that AMD driver, so that I can compare it with mine? My own GPU is also about 7-8 years old and the latest driver for GPU is released in 2013, no newer versions (as for CPU too). I strongly suspect that my situation will be quite like yours. So far I have not much desire to reinstall my DS Beta from 4.9 to 4.10 just to try dForce and make sure it wont't work, because once I managed to find the right beta version which doesn't conflict with my old DS 4.6 and works well with Zbrush via goZ. Rolling back to all this again is very-very frustrating time waste. If there's not an possiblity to work with AMD hardware of 2011-2013 and no CPU support, I understand I'll have to wait too until buying a newer computer. Thanks god, there're some alternatives like DCC and VWD.

I will let you know next time I open the laptop up.  I know the AMD card is in the 6000 series I think 6400.  Definitely no longer any support for it.  And every option I tried  literally shut my poor laptop down to the blue screen, I had to safe mode start and roll it completley back.  I am going to have to get a new laptop at some point as I am starting to lose pixels in the screen as well and I have had this one fixed once already.  I do have VWD so all is not lost for now anyway lol.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Scrapper is the codename for the integrated graphics version of several different AMD Radeon chipsets. And from what I've been able to find, they do support OpenCL 1.2.

AFAIK Scrapper is the code name for the GPU Device used on your card. If you download this

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

It will tell you what your card's capabilities are. Simply run the downloaded file (you can opt to run it as a standalone app), and hover the mouse over the OpenCL section at the bottom.

Thanks for the replies ^^

DoctorJellybean: Thanks for the link. The program said Scrapper, so I can now go ahead and use dForce. ^^

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I haven't had the chance to read all this thread yet (21 pages already!) but I just wanted to share this little animation of clothing I made myself with Marvelous Designer and animated using dForce.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

It drapes really nicely...great job!

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    Chohole said:
    Pendraia said:
    Chohole said:
    Mada said:

I've been dorking around with dForce since Tuesday, and I simply must comment on the "dForce - Start Here" guide.

This is what documentation ought to look like!  Specifically with respect to what the parameters are, what they are intended to do, and what happens when you change the value in a particular direction.  Nice job!

Have to agree with this...it's very nicely done. I thought it was a shame it was a closed thread as it would have been nice to thank  RBTWhiz for his info in the thread. It's great info and really well done and comprehensive. I just hope he sees the thank you here!

sorry about the incorrect quote but I can't seem to get rid of that part by backspacing...

rbtwhiz said

"He" is always watching. You're welcome. It's nice to see some occasional  positivity/gratitude. Thank you for that.

-----

The dForce - Start Here thread is closed so that it stays on topic and isn't overshadowed by the seemingly inevitable tangent discussions. It is already a lot of information to digest, and it seems that folks read less of the earlier posts im a thread the longer that thread becomes. This thread is a prime example. I did not want that to happen with the Start Here thread.

Thanks Cho! He really does an amazing job and has always been helpful when I have pestered him with questions in the past. Totally understand his reasoning...just wanted to be sure he realised that people appreciate what he does. : )

The settings are broadly similar to those in Marvellous Designer, though i haven't tried mirroring them across to see how they behave.

Thanks for this information; it's nice to know even though I don't have or use MD.

wargis said:

@wargis Not sure if this is what you are looking for but my laptop has Intel Core i7-2675QM CPU @2020GHz

ACPI x64 based PC  AMD Radeon HD 6490M

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017

This is the HP Wrath (G3F) wearing the V4 Wizard Robe. The robe and upper sleeves were not a problem, but the long section of the lower sleeves was a nightmare, due in part, I'm sure, to my own lack of experience with rigging and the Joint Editor. Those sleeves each have their own bone, but I lost them when fitting the robe to the newer figure. Then the bottom half of the length moved with the legs. I ended up removing all the leg and foot bones, which made the body of the robe drape much better, but I couldn't get the upper and lower halves of the sleeves to line up. Anyway, here is the figure and clothing. View the full artistic render, Wrath, in my gallery here.

dForce: V4 Wizard Robe On G3F, by L'Adair

I used Willbear's Iridescent Shaders for Iray on the Wizard Robe, the Super Bodysuit for G3F, and the hair, a freebie from Mec4d for her birthday a couple years ago, Underwater Hair.) 

Post edited by L'Adair on

@wargis Not sure if this is what you are looking for but my laptop has Intel Core i7-2675QM CPU @2020GHz

Thank you. As I learned after some googling, our cards are of the same generation and my AMD Radeon HD6750M is just a bit younger than your AMD Radeon HD 6490M, so the difference between them in working is no more than 10-20 percent. And definitely no one of them supports OpenCL 1.2., just OpenCL 1.1 in my case. Nice hardware, but no so up-to day for some modern game engines and cloth engines. And thanks to Dr Jellybean, this Techpower GPU-Z works like a magic wand and shows all possible info about GPUs really. It helped me much too.

wargis said:

Thank you. As I learned after some googling, our cards are of the same generation and my AMD Radeon HD6750M is just a bit younger than your AMD Radeon HD 6490M, so the difference between them in working is no more than 10-20 percent. And definitely no one of them supports OpenCL 1.2., just OpenCL 1.1 in my case. Nice hardware, but no so up-to day for some modern game engines and cloth engines. And thanks to Dr Jellybean, this Techpower GPU-Z works like a magic wand and shows all possible info about GPUs really. It helped me much too.

Glad I could (kind of) help lol. 

• MadaMada Posts: 1,867

<3 :)