Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

A short version of potential styles available in this Challenge, while maintaining the essence of the pinup genre:

Past-Present-Future - for example, what will a pinup look like in the year 2200?

Military - recruiting posters and bomber (and other airplanes) nose art.

Advertising - Every type of product under the sun has used pinup models for ads.

Calendar art, movie posters, and regular decorative posters.

Fantasy art.  For a small example, Google "Orc Pinups."

Holiday pinups (A Halloween pinup is one of the official entry categories).

Pinups in traditional airbrush cartoon style (Petty, Vargas), or as photorealistic images (Farrah Fawcett, Betty Grable)

Feminine or masculine pinups.  This is an equal opportunity Challenge. smiley

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Fantastic work!

Diomede... very freaking cool!

Dart, I always appreciate your POV.  Thanks for the lighting comments!

Thanks. I do like to babble on! ;)

Diomede said:

Dartanbeck - Vampirella's lighting is dramatic as it is.  And that is just a test scene?  You da man!

Thanks! It's actually the three-point lighting rig from the browser. In one of my "Carrara 8.5 First Look" videos, I show how I made the base scene file that I use for that. I don't use it that much, but in tis case - being in a huge hurry - it fit to give it a shot.

Wendy, it looks like it worked to me! Looks pretty cool! I don't know what that is - must be a DS thingy, eh? Mec4d was really into fiber mesh modeling - like her Wizard for Genesis 2 Male as an example of that. I still haven't tried one - but I'd like to.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2017

Shadow catcher issue.

Maybe this has happened before, but I don't remember.  I replaced the set (floor and walls) with a shadow catcher.  The volumetric dynamic hair is giving a strange shadow effect on the floor.  Can fix in post but curious if others have had this issue.

Lots of other issues, such as not happy with how the jewelry turned out  - so feel free to make more suggestions, as always.

Try Bad VWD caustics.png
    1200 x 1600 - 978K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2017

NIce Diomede!  Super clever idea.

I prefer captions in the traditional straight-on style (not competing with the figure for attention), and not so close to the figure.  The font size was about right, though.

Man, there are aesthetics to everything.smiley

Can you turn off the hair from making shadows?

Gun could be bigger and more reflective (ominous looking).  Bullets could be shinier as well - maybe add some glint to the one she is holding?.  Bullet box is small and a bit hard to read.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Thanks, Stezza - phone finger-stopper added.

i thought you meant the breakfast at tiffnies phone thingie >.<

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Breakfast at Tiffanies movie chock full of pinups

eek think he knows how dangerous it is to smoke near fire hazardy stuff ?

edited October 2017

She can use a silver bullet to dial.  laugh

tiffanys.JPG
    800 x 198 - 31K
    edited October 2017

Got a chuckle out of this Halloween pinup:

halloween_pinup_2016_by_sodano-daku3vm.jpg
    923 x 814 - 425K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

w.i.p. my first entry ever smiley

need some adjustments and clothes on to watch all the rest

maria.jpg
    3600 x 2800 - 810K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited October 2017

I've had an idea for an entry and spent the last hour producing a start on it - it is planned that this will end up as a render within a render!  G2F with Captain Cupcake outfit (seemed to fit the brief totally!), character is half Girl 6 and half Callie 6, although that may change. Harlow Hair. The render is a very quick and dirty Octane render, ignore the background, it probably won't be in the final version.

Scene Screenshot - WIP

Test render in Octane

Captain Cupcake1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 45K
    Screenshot 2017-10-16 23.44.56.png
    1920 x 1080 - 396K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited October 2017

Magaremoto - welcome aboard!  Great WI.P.  Not to put any pressure on you, as we all have our area of focus, but I expect a lot more skin from you!  Just kidding.  Thanks for participating and showing what Carrara is capble of.

EDIT: just zoomed in on the knuckles.  You truly are a master!

PhilW - perfectly fits the challenge.  We get three entries.  I am digging through my old files.  Might use a Jim Burton Daz product for one of my entries.  We are talking V3 or stephanie 3 petite!

https://www.daz3d.com/jim-burton

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Bunyip02 said:

This is terrific!  Maybe add some bubbles?  Or maybe not, it works well as it is too  :)

Diomede said:

Shadow catcher issue.

Maybe this has happened before, but I don't remember.  I replaced the set (floor and walls) with a shadow catcher.  The volumetric dynamic hair is giving a strange shadow effect on the floor.  Can fix in post but curious if others have had this issue.

Lots of other issues, such as not happy with how the jewelry turned out  - so feel free to make more suggestions, as always.

Wow, really impressive already.  I know you tend towards NPR, but man you can sure work the photoreal renderer expertly when you want to!  :)  Skin looks terrific, I think maybe one of the toes of the shoes is slightly into the floor though. Also the shadows might be too soft, especially the table legs almost seem disconnected from the floor.  That's funny that the hair is casting such a hard shadow, never noticed that before but that might be a 'thing' with Carrara hair, have to go run and test a bit to find out.  True you could probably easily turn off shadows from the hair on this one, usually you need shadows from the hair just because it will shadow the figure the hair is on, but with that particular hairstyle pulled mostly back it probably wouldn't matter at all from this angle to just turn the shadows off.

PhilW said:

I've had an idea for an entry and spent the last hour producing a start on it - it is planned that this will end up as a render within a render!  G2F with Captain Cupcake outfit (seemed to fit the brief totally!), character is half Girl 6 and half Callie 6, although that may change. Harlow Hair. The render is a very quick and dirty Octane render, ignore the background, it probably won't be in the final version.

Scene Screenshot - WIP

Test render in Octane

Looking terrific (as should be expected from anyone named PhilW smiley)  Curious where this will go, could easily see this as being turned into a painting on the side of a plane, for example, like memphis belle (especially with the new GIMAC plugin from Philemo!  what a great time to be a Carrara user with all these neat plugins coming out  smiley ).   Curious whether you plan for the main render to be done in Octane too, or Carrara native with this 'picture in picture' being incorporated instead, will be fun to see where you go with this.

edited October 2017

h

Holy amazing skin, Batman!  That's just magic, spine tingling realism.  I'm excited to see you participating  smiley  Btw, just the screenshots you shared in the render thread have completely upped my game when it comes to skin shaders, I'm very grateful you shared.  I never would have thought of doing layer lists, I was stuck on using multiple multi-channel mixers, which works fine for the first one, but any multi-channels within multi-channels completely kills any use of the SSS channel, and I couldn't really figure out a way around that before you turned me on to using a layer list with opacity instead.  And on top of that, it allows me to use two entirely different specular effects on the same model, with different highlight/shininess settings for each so give a more random but still completely believable 'spread' of highlights.

I can't stop clicking in and out zooming in to appreciate all the little details on this render you did.  Man the little bumps and ridges of the skin are so clear and defined when I zoom in, especially on the nose and lips and tip of the elbow.  Mesmerizing....  smiley

Post edited by Jonstark on
    Jonstark said:
    Bunyip02 said:

This is terrific!  Maybe add some bubbles?  Or maybe not, it works well as it is too  :)

I totally agree!  Bubbles will definitely enhance.

And in Bunyip's gal in the courtyard, some leaves on the ground would add another touch of realism.

Thanks for coming over!  Just amazing.  You are going to share some details... right?smiley

PhilW said:

Scene Screenshot - WIP

Test render in Octane

I just stood up and saluted.smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Retro Rocket

Carrara setup

Carrara render after Topaz Adjust for colour correction

Retro Rocket 1 Carrara.png
    2270 x 1042 - 802K
    Retro Rocket 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 900 - 948K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Excellent !!!!

PhilW said:

Scene Screenshot - WIP

Test render in Octane

Looking great !!!!

Diomede said:

Shadow catcher issue.

Superb render, hope you get the shadow catcher sorted.

I would adjust the red coloured Silver Bullet text on the box to black so that it stands out a bit more.

edited October 2017

Thank you for suggestions, Jonstark, UB, and Bunyip.  Was able to quickly address a few comments.  Others will require more.  Unfortunately, I forgot to render a shadow pass.  Argh.  The weak shadows around the table legs are now spikes sticking in my eye.  However, I was able to move the text and make a few other adjustments as per y'all's suggestions.

Try 4 Apply Some Suggestions.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 278K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited October 2017

bludy hell, blink and you will miss it, what a bunch of renders

UB, I did see your post. The world is full of different cultures. In Australia we have a feminist artist movement but the interesting thing is, that if a man did their paintings the male would be crucified.

But it's okay that a woman does it. There call cry is named after a book which I believe is something like "I Love Dick" ?? I assume Dick is Dick Van Dyke....

Search for ellie kaufmann artist on google - she is one of our local artists. Warning  NSFW. She is a wonderful artist who has seixed on pink nipples as a theme. But check the backgrounds to see the quality of her work.

Here's a start from me, after UB's suggestion. 

The trees are in part from Philemeno's wonderous new plug in.

olddrawing.jpg
    1929 x 1633 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on

HW - When I first saw the small version, I thought Devil was pulling on the Phantom's tights like the Coppertone ad.  laugh​  

I was familiar with Ellie Kaufmann, but can't remember who referred me.  I bet the topic has come up on the forum before.  

Diomede said:

HW - When I first saw the small version, I thought Devil was pulling on the Phantom's tights like the Coppertone ad.  laugh​  

I was familiar with Ellie Kaufmann, but can't remember who referred me.  I bet the topic has come up on the forum before.  

I'm impressed that you have heard of Ellie  - and the Coppertone add - great idea :)

Diomede said:

Oh my God, that's exactly the same pose and nearly the same position for the dog too, no wonder it seems so familiar!  One quick use of VWD (to pull the Phantom's ourwear/underwear towards the dog's mouth) and headwax could literally make this the most hilarious render I've seen so far this year, lol  laugh

Jonstark said:
    Diomede said:

Oh my God, that's exactly the same pose and nearly the same position for the dog too, no wonder it seems so familiar!  One quick use of VWD (to pull the Phantom's ourwear/underwear towards the dog's mouth) and headwax could literally make this the most hilarious render I've seen so far this year, lol  laugh

be careful, often in Oz we swap hilarious for hairyarse...

Don't be impressed.  I'd bet a lot that you are the source.

head wax said:
    Diomede said:

HW 

I'm impressed that you have heard of Ellie  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited October 2017
    Stezza said:
    been thinking some more

Hurricane Jane

Just wow.  It looks hand drawn.  What software are you using here?

Just using Carrara.. and the postwork in PSE2018 demo version... contemplating wether to update to it or not so giving it a test fly.

awesome renders coming in... great stuff yes

I've been busy with the new Grandson this week so haven't been able to get anything concrete together as of yet.. still in thinking mode but will post tidbits till I come up with something worthwhile.

Award goes to.jpg
    800 x 600 - 632K
    Post edited by Stezza on