Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Yeah... the lights are temp as well. But I like the red fill light with the blue key to help adjust the specular values of the shaders

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    PhilW said:

That one was very much inspired by the kind of pin-up art that you are talking about. It is a really simple scene actually, it uses a very old Winter Tales for Daz's Multiplane Cyclorama (Winter Tales looks to be no longer available but Multiplane Cyclorama is still there!) for the background and the ice, with material adjustments. Lighting is from an HDRI called Snowfield2_color which I think may have been included with Carrara at some stage, not sure if it still is. And the figure is G2F with suitable clothing - the high heeled boots are supplemented by my own modelled blades (which are probably totally impractical!). Rendered in Octane Render for Carrara.  I'm glad you liked it!

Practical or not, the skate blades are terrific!

Thanks for the details.  It looks like the usual suspect in natural lighting is an HDRI.  I've never used one!  I'll have to go back and look at your tutorials.  If I can't figure it out, I'll come back here or ask elsewhere.

Yeah... the lights are temp as well. But I like the red fill light with the blue key to help adjust the specular values of the shaders

Ha, I was commenting on the sexiness of your figure, not the lighting.smiley  But an interesting tip, thanks!

I know wink I'm just silly, is all

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Dart - I can't believe you have NEVER used an HDRI?!!!

I have. I've even made a few. 

PhilW said:

This was a test of one of my HDRI

I made it for Iray testing, but this render was done in Carrara with no other lights, no ambient, just the hdri with GI and AO

Rosie and Dart are the only objects in the scene besides the hdri

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I have. I've even made a few. 

PhilW said:

Sorry - it was UB who'd never used one - I'm still amazed!

edited October 2017

The list of things I have not done in Carrara (or in 3d) SEEMS much longer than the list of things I have done.  I try to not get depressed. smiley

edited

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Bikini time update - trees & bikini changed, spot light added to front of Vicki as frontside was away from sunlight.

Offering my bias here, as usual.  Please take it or leave it.

I actually liked the lighting better on the first image (except the face).  It looked more natural.  Maybe a light bulb set to 1 foot or so can add some facial illumination, without overpowering the figure?

Weirdly, I also liked the trees a LOT better in the first image.  Also looked more natural (to me).

The hair still looks a bit artificial.

In PR images like this (which are very difficult to do well), the hardest part to get right is often the skin.  Yours looks good.  Are you using any special texture or lighting?

Like the new bikini better as well.  But I miss those wrist bracers!  Maybe I have a fetish.smiley 

Bikini time take 3 - original trees with new bikini, kept the wrist bracers for those with a fetish for such things, and spotlight targeted at Victorias head.

Skin used is Ringo Monforts Victoria 6 shaders - https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders

Lighting is Tim Paynes https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-skies-lightdomes-1

Pinup G2F 3 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Very cool stuff, all!

In an attempt to at least get something started, I began working up a "Halloween" scene - one of the characters, Vampirella.

I'm still not finished with her character shaping - well... I'm not finished with any of it. I started the costume - maps I've made in Howler, Color, Highlight and Bump. The rest of the torso portion of the costume will be modeled in Carrara. The hair draping was stopped 20% through since I ran out of time, but the main test here was to see if I like the hair shader, which is looking close to me so far. I also painted the face map, but am not finished with that either.

She's not posed yet either as this is just the very beginnings of a WIP - Still a  l o n g  way to go

Looking great so far !!!!

Bunyip02 said:

Bikini time take 3 - original trees with new bikini, kept the wrist bracers for those with a fetish for such things, and spotlight targeted at Victorias head.

Skin used is Ringo Monforts Victoria 6 shaders - https://www.daz3d.com/dp-victoria-6-carrara-shaders

Lighting is Tim Paynes https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-skies-lightdomes-1

Those bracers are awesome!  You the man.

Ringo + Tim Payne.  I can see why the skin looks nice.  A winning combination.

Face is still too dark for my tastes.  I'd actually prefer to see some skin highlights there, and some sparkle in the eyes.

I wish that others would chip in with some feedback.  My vision of perfection may be different from others.  For me, you are getting very close.

I do like those trees, at least in that scene.  The hair is still the hair. smiley  But hair is difficult.  PhilW once won a Rendo contest, and everybody told him how realistic his render was - except the hair!  And Phil is a hair expert, so what chance do we mere mortals have?

The list of things I have not done in Carrara (or in 3d) SEEMS much longer than the list of things I have done.  I try to not get depressed. smiley

Same here... truly. 

I've done a lot and learned a lot about the stuff that I felt I needed to learn along my journey - truly having to forsake other things simply to save time. I've always had the problem of having very little computer time - being an outdoor manual labor worker. Winter would come and I'd get busy.

Most of my studies at first were geared toward getting scenes optimized to render fast without looking too... well... you know... fast. 

Since that time I've discovered some stuff that I just simply didn't do right. But a lot of it is really pretty neat! So one of the reasons I don't use HDRI is for speed's sake. The other is that I really don't feel that I need to. As Jeremy Birn points out in his magnificent book, we can harness more true control through actually "lighting" a scene - as if it was a stage - than we can via the more computer simulated reality methods.

That said, however, please don't take that as a statement from me that I am against them in any way. I have just (within my limited time) adopted a style and 'feel' that I like to use - that I am comfortable with. But I also currently have tests on my table toward working my own HDR processes into the picture. I'd also like to add that, even non-HDR spherical backgrounds can be a huge boon to GI and IL, and then we can still control the directional intensity via a simple light added into the scene. That can be very powerful (and fun)!

Dimension Theory (at least he used to) has some nice tutorials on how he would create image based lighting situations using lights and images. It was pretty sophisticated for me at the time. Carrara has an amazing IBL solution, where we can give it the parameters to create environment lighting based on the pixels of an image, and it generates Anything Glows lights of the proper color and intensity. Crazy stuff. Neither of those methods are ideal for the speed I was after.

Jeremy Birn has been into this with chemical film cinema too, so he has the practical background of lighting stages. That's more the method I use. Much like my crazy experiment video's name implies, I like to paint with light. Painting with shadows, and then using lights to paint those shadows - or not. I used to make really dark images... way too dark. It was all a process of experimenting with shadows.

OMG... I got carried away babbling again! Sorry!

Bunyip02 said:

Very cool stuff, all!

In an attempt to at least get something started, I began working up a "Halloween" scene - one of the characters, Vampirella.

I'm still not finished with her character shaping - well... I'm not finished with any of it. I started the costume - maps I've made in Howler, Color, Highlight and Bump. The rest of the torso portion of the costume will be modeled in Carrara. The hair draping was stopped 20% through since I ran out of time, but the main test here was to see if I like the hair shader, which is looking close to me so far. I also painted the face map, but am not finished with that either.

She's not posed yet either as this is just the very beginnings of a WIP - Still a  l o n g  way to go

Looking great so far !!!!

Thanks ;)

Bunyip02 said:

Halloween - Anu-Naki V4

Sorry, I missed this one.  Another creative scene!

Again, blues and brown clash for me.  YMMV.

Anu is very creepy.  Some amount of creepy is good, but there needs to be a way to remind us it is a Halloween pinup scene, and not a straight horror scene.

edited October 2017

I like yours too!!! Big Time!!!

Speaking of Tim Payne's skydomes, I've never tried those. I have them, and have used his skies a LOT... still do. I love Tim Payne's skies. The manuals that come with them as well.

Here's a render I did using his (Tim Payne) tutorial from Carrara Cafe regarding setting up Sun Beams

Speaking of HDRI, here was a results test I did with one of my HDR attempts in Iray, but I didn't have the Gamma Correction into account.

Doc1.png
    600 x 281 - 178K
    SteamDragonSunsetCompare.jpg
    690 x 1317 - 561K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dart, I always appreciate your POV.  Thanks for the lighting comments!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021
    edited October 2017

I have a lot to catch up on (32 posts according to the forum software).  Until I do, this is what I have been working on.

Some classic pinups centered around a few props and a witty one-liner.  So...

One-liner (actually 2 lines) = "Of course I know Mr. Chaney's reputation as a wolf.  I wouldn't date him otherwise."  (pinup talking on phone and holding a silver bullet)

for which I have created

Props = Telephone (rigged for posing), revolver, box of silver bullets, table, staircase railing, room corner

Pinup = sexy evening dress, shoes, necklace, earrings, new hair cap and dynamic hair updo

Both the revolver and the phone required modeling circles with multiple circular holes.  Ouch.  I wised up for the phone and used the spline modeler.

Props

Dress, shoes, and new hairstyle

bb08 props.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    bb09 scene.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2017

Retro Rocket

Retro Rocket 1 Topaz FltFrgOldBk 1600.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

cool props diomede yes

but the phone is missing a finger stopper on the dialer cool

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2017

well Lord or Bear's fur mesh does not NPR as well as I hoped

so may need to exxplore other ideas

Bearfright.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 201K
    scary.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 171K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

you got the fur to load!... cool yes

I gave up!

been thinking some more

Hurricane Jane

edited October 2017

Thanks, Stezza - phone finger-stopper added.

phone improved.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
    edited October 2017

Stezza - Supweme Ruler with a Biggun is hilarious.  But, I'd pin up Hurricane Jane.  Great work.

PhilW - Seems like your realism course is ideal for this month.  Thanks for all the tips.  Falling skirt lady is inspirational.

Dartanbeck - Vampirella's lighting is dramatic as it is.  And that is just a test scene?  You da man!

Bunyip - wrist bracers = yesyes  I like the color palette of Retro Rocket.  

Wendy - sorry, hair does not NPR well.  I've tried.sad​  And Philemo's hair to obj plugin is impractical for full body fur.  But I will be watching closely to see if you get a solution.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

is actual mesh hair and Stezza the base and short not full coat as was making a hairy man not a bear, it did take about 15 mins a coat.

edited October 2017

Oh, is it fibermesh?  I'm not sure my system could load a fibermesh that is that big, but maybe it is a matter of patience.

Diomede said:

I have a lot to catch up on (32 posts according to the forum software).  Until I do, this is what I have been working on.

Some classic pinups centered around a few props and a witty one-liner.  So...

One-liner (actually 2 lines) = "Of course I know Mr. Chaney's reputation as a wolf.  I wouldn't date him otherwise."  (pinup talking on phone and holding a silver bullet)

for which I have created

Excellent!  You really understand the genre.  A lot of pinups have clever or double-meaning captions, which I forgot to mention.  I was originally thinking of making an awards category for best caption, but went with general PR and NPR instead.

Bunyip02 said:

Retro Rocket

Terrific style, and perfectly in line with the genre.  Well done!

edited October 2017
    Stezza said:
    been thinking some more

Hurricane Jane

Just wow.  It looks hand drawn.  What software are you using here?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Yesterday, I added the Challenge semi-mirror thread over in the Art Studio forum.  If any of you care to visit or contribute over there, please feel free.

Doing an "announcement only" thread in the Commons today, and some more samples in the 2nd post (yes, it's getting longersmiley).