Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

I may have to go find my Tomato Carrara Fruity Pin Up Chick for this one..... devil

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

You can go lots of different directions.smiley

I'll be adding more military examples soon in the 2nd post in this thread.

B17 Memphis Belle.jpg
    1800 x 1447 - 348K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

my first thoughts was to do a WWII or similar type ... so cool those pinups on the planes..

so I done this while I think it over.... thanks to my daughter for planting the seed.... cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Diomede said:

Are you trying to create some controversy? smiley  

Me?  Stirring the pot for no reason?  Of course, yes!    Just ignore my posts if they are unrelated to my entries.  Just causing trouble.  devil

edited October 2017

Stezza, you are killing it already.  Awesome image, but the lettering was a bit hard to read.

I just finished the "first draft" of the 2nd post on this thread.with tons of pinups for inspiration. If anyone is looking for ideas, please check it out.

Diomede, keep stirring.  We need to keep people awake during this boring Challenge.smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Vyusur - fun video, I was fooled.  I used your Lukas character for Frazetta last month, might see how he looks in a kilt holding a bag of celery this month.

HeadWax - Ernie better worry about the animal rights folks if he mistreats his snake in public.

Bunyip - wow, again, you are on speed dial.  Impressive already.  Of the three, I like NPR the best (because you know I like NPR), then bikini time, then the orc pinup.  The orc could use a little more contrast with the background, in my view.  

Hello Diomede, Orc and background blended together a little, hopefully this should fix it.

UB - equal oppurtunity for Orcs - they always get a bad wrap.

Pinup Orc 1d Topaz 1600.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Stezza said:

my first thoughts was to do a WWII or similar type ... so cool those pinups on the planes..

so I done this while I think it over.... thanks to my daughter for planting the seed.... cool

Nice !!!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Chohole said:

Are any female artists here offended by pinup art?

Not if you include some male pinups as well

brings to mind Thomas of Finland  art, he liked sailor subject models angel

Stezza, you are killing it already.  Awesome image, but the lettering was a bit hard to read.

I just finished the "first draft" of the 2nd post on this thread.with tons of pinups for inspiration. If anyone is looking for ideas, please check it out.

Diomede, keep stirring.  We need to keep people awake during this boring Challenge.smiley

the hard part of this challenge will be at voting time, to vote gender unbiased

edited October 2017

Question - may our wips be yoohootubes vid?

Post edited by Mistara on
    Stezza said:

I may have to go find my Tomato Carrara Fruity Pin Up Chick for this one..... devil

tomato + pineapple = pizza! 

thanks... I did that on purpose so that the viewer will look longer devil

Mistara said:

the hard part of this challenge will be at voting time, to vote gender unbiased

one for the girls.... wink
    I'm still thinking frown

A Bigg'Un

Mistara said:
    Stezza said:

tomato + pineapple = pizza! 

yes heart

edited October 2017

Hey Bunyip,

I liked all three, and I hope that you don't mind some comments.  Feel free to ignore, for sure.

I think that the Orc render violates the first rule of pinups, that the model has to be physically attractive.  Of couse, I might feel differently if I was an orc. smiley

The Bikini Time render had all the elements of a good PR render - attractiveness, pose, and facial expression.  The lighting is good - but can it be better?  Her face is kind of dark.  Plus, the background is so real, that it makes me more critical of her costume and hair.  Something about them doesn't look right to me.  High realism in PR images is difficult to pull off - the flaws are noticed but difficult to explain sometimes.  I'm not sure that I could do as well, so I congratulate you on your efforts.  Please keep working on it.  We now have a Challenge designed for the realistic human figure geeks, and I hope that a few show up to share their secrets.  PhilW?  Margaremoto?  Are you folks out there?

Your third render, NPR, has a cool environment.  Can you make the facial expression more clear, and central to the image?  Can you do a more provocative pose?  Most of the time, I just want to see a sexier image, and that is sometimes hard to define!

Hello UB

Adjusted the contrast on the Orc render as per Diomedes suggestion. Will leave it in for all of the Orc lovers out there.

Bikini time - the trees are a little bit clunky, might use another. Looking at trying another bikini to see what a difference that would make as well. Will have another look at the lighting.

Have changed the position of the NPR figure - am going for a playful look - might adjust further.

Pinup V4 Delphene 2 Topaz_FtSkWater5 FltFrgChina 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited October 2017

Bikini time update - trees & bikini changed, spot light added to front of Vicki as frontside was away from sunlight.

Pinup G2F 2 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    edited October 2017

Halloween - Anu-Naki V4

Anu-Naki V4 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Hey Bunyip,

I liked all three, and I hope that you don't mind some comments.  Feel free to ignore, for sure.

I think that the Orc render violates the first rule of pinups, that the model has to be physically attractive.  Of couse, I might feel differently if I was an orc. smiley

The Bikini Time render had all the elements of a good PR render - attractiveness, pose, and facial expression.  The lighting is good - but can it be better?  Her face is kind of dark.  Plus, the background is so real, that it makes me more critical of her costume and hair.  Something about them doesn't look right to me.  High realism in PR images is difficult to pull off - the flaws are noticed but difficult to explain sometimes.  I'm not sure that I could do as well, so I congratulate you on your efforts.  Please keep working on it.  We now have a Challenge designed for the realistic human figure geeks, and I hope that a few show up to share their secrets.  PhilW?  Margaremoto?  Are you folks out there?

Your third render, NPR, has a cool environment.  Can you make the facial expression more clear, and central to the image?  Can you do a more provocative pose?  Most of the time, I just want to see a sexier image, and that is sometimes hard to define!

Hello UB

Adjusted the contrast on the Orc render as per Diomedes suggestion. Will leave it in for all of the Orc lovers out there.

Bikini time - the trees are a little bit clunky, might use another. Looking at trying another bikini to see what a difference that would make as well. Will have another look at the lighting.

Have changed the position of the NPR figure - am going for a playful look - might adjust further.

Final position that I am happy with.

Pinup V4 Delphene 3 Topaz_FtSkWater5 FltFrgChina 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Bunyip02 said:

UB - equal oppurtunity for Orcs - they always get a bad wrap.

HaHa!  I agree with equal opportunity.  I don't think that I am biased against Orcs, but considering that this is a pinup Challenge, I do have a beauty bias.

Fortunately, Orcs, like humans, come in many shapes and sizes.smiley

See attached.

Orc and half orcs.jpg
    736 x 1093 - 60K
    female-orc-warcraft-orc.jpg
    736 x 1151 - 101K
    Orc.jpg
    500 x 665 - 65K
    female_orc_by_vinnymax-dausgsk.jpg
    1024 x 1463 - 196K
    female_orc_wow.0.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 101K
    edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Wow, looks much more pinup-like to me!  A very unique and creative entry.

Nice changes.  You changed the rocks to a more greenish tint, which blends better with the (new) darker blue skin.  Pose and expressions are great.  Only quibbles are the brown colors, which (for me) clash with the blues.  Also, can you change the color of the rings on the bikini top and bottom?  That light color kind of makes them invisible.

edited October 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Bikini time update - trees & bikini changed, spot light added to front of Vicki as frontside was away from sunlight.

Offering my bias here, as usual.  Please take it or leave it.

I actually liked the lighting better on the first image (except the face).  It looked more natural.  Maybe a light bulb set to 1 foot or so can add some facial illumination, without overpowering the figure?

Weirdly, I also liked the trees a LOT better in the first image.  Also looked more natural (to me).

The hair still looks a bit artificial.

In PR images like this (which are very difficult to do well), the hardest part to get right is often the skin.  Yours looks good.  Are you using any special texture or lighting?

Like the new bikini better as well.  But I miss those wrist bracers!  Maybe I have a fetish.smiley 

Mistara said:

the hard part of this challenge will be at voting time, to vote gender unbiased.

Yup.  But not sure that you need to try to untangle those feelings.  Pinups should have a primal sexiness, and that is an important part of the evaluation process.

Go with your gut! smiley

Mistara said:

Sorry, can you clarify?  Are you asking if animations are accepted as entries?

Mistara said:

the hard part of this challenge will be at voting time, to vote gender unbiased.

Yup.  But not sure that you need to try to untangle those feelings.  Pinups should have a primal sexiness, and that is an important part of the evaluation process.

Go with your gut! smiley

Mistara said:

i meant a video of putting the scene together. for learning value smiley something a lil more than the pre-rendered screenshot wink

dunno if animated would work for a pinup entry.  
    pinups imo seem to be a spark for the day dream, watching it play out, would that ruin the fantasy?

edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Unfortunately, it is going to be mighty difficult to find anything in the Daz store to help with a pinup image.  wink

Sorry to be so late responding, but I was swamped doing the 2nd post in this thread.

Sarcasm noted.laugh

In preparing for this theme, I entered the term "pinup" into the Daz store, and got well over 100 hits!  Daz is pretty clear about it, they like their pinup products.  I remember some folks complaining a while back (in a different forum) that a high percentage of Daz clothing is of the "scanty" variety.  True, but also perfect for this Challenge.smiley  So, if any of you folks out there looking for a clothing product to inspire your pinup creativity, check out the store.  Tons of pinup pose products as well.  They even have poses for WW2 airplane nose art!

Samples are posted below:

pin-up-captain-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 339K
    simply-sexy-pinup-girl-outfit-for-v4-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 138K
    capsces-pin-me-up-callie-6-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 319K
    pin-up-stephanie-set-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 122K
    ToonitudePinup_MN.jpg
    960 x 1215 - 192K
    glam-pinup-poses-for-the-girl-4-large.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 191K
    Pinup Girl Poses 2.jpg
    960 x 1234 - 153K
    Shimuzu's Proportional Poses for Genesis 2 Female_ Pin Up.jpg
    500 x 650 - 71K
    pinup-poses-for-genesis-3-females-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 180K
    00-main-bombshell-girls-airplane-nose-art-poses-for-genesis-3-female-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 183K
    Mistara said:

Mistara said:

i meant a video of putting the scene together. for learning value smiley something a lil more than the pre-rendered screenshot wink

You mean, like a mini tutorial?  Go for it! 

Mistara said:

dunno if animated would work for a pinup entry.  
    pinups imo seem to be a spark for the day dream, watching it play out, would that ruin the fantasy?

Interesting question.  Maybe if the pinup starts out as an animation, it would set up different expectations.

Stezza said:
    A Bigg'Un

Really, really excellent NPR details!  However, maybe it's just me, but I find the main character to be butt-ugly.  Trying to put my finger on the reason...

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work on this already - I'm going to have to try to find the time to put at least one entry in this time.

edited October 2017

PhilW, I am counting on it!  But, no pressure.smiley

Here is one of my favorite PhilW pinups.  Awesome posing and lighting.

Oops!

Any tips you can give is regarding how you created this render?

Oops by PhilW.jpg
    1300 x 975 - 282K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That one was very much inspired by the kind of pin-up art that you are talking about. It is a really simple scene actually, it uses a very old Winter Tales for Daz's Multiplane Cyclorama (Winter Tales looks to be no longer available but Multiplane Cyclorama is still there!) for the background and the ice, with material adjustments. Lighting is from an HDRI called Snowfield2_color which I think may have been included with Carrara at some stage, not sure if it still is. And the figure is G2F with suitable clothing - the high heeled boots are supplemented by my own modelled blades (which are probably totally impractical!). Rendered in Octane Render for Carrara.  I'm glad you liked it!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,199
    edited October 2017

Very cool stuff, all!

In an attempt to at least get something started, I began working up a "Halloween" scene - one of the characters, Vampirella.

I'm still not finished with her character shaping - well... I'm not finished with any of it. I started the costume - maps I've made in Howler, Color, Highlight and Bump. The rest of the torso portion of the costume will be modeled in Carrara. The hair draping was stopped 20% through since I ran out of time, but the main test here was to see if I like the hair shader, which is looking close to me so far. I also painted the face map, but am not finished with that either.

She's not posed yet either as this is just the very beginnings of a WIP - Still a  l o n g  way to go

VampirellaWIP1a.jpg
    528 x 717 - 259K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited October 2017

In an attempt to at least get something started, I began working up a "Halloween" scene - one of the characters, Vampirella.

I'm still not finished with her character shaping - well... I'm not finished with any of it. I started the costume - maps I've made in Howler, Color, Highlight and Bump. The rest of the torso portion of the costume will be modeled in Carrara. The hair draping was stopped 20% through since I ran out of time, but the main test here was to see if I like the hair shader, which is looking close to me so far. I also painted the face map, but am not finished with that either.

She's not posed yet either as this is just the very beginnings of a WIP - Still a  l o n g  way to go

Killer beginning, Dart!

Is it just me, or is it starting to...um... feel a little...um...warm in here?