Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Thank you @knittingmommy and @DarwinsMishap it was a fun piece to work on.

Soooooo, fall is here in the Midwest I guess I was feeling it today. :) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Beautiful....

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285

Love this!!! The lighting is perfect and the colors are amazing!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

OMG what a stunning nature render the lighting and colors are spot on!!!

edited October 2017

Thanks @icedragonart I almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar lol Thank you @aloreea & @Saphirewild 

Today I have been working on my paint over techniques so here is a before and after Photoshop paint over. I'll link the image to the larger finished one in my gallery. 

paintover1BA.jpg
    1000 x 702 - 118K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Great work with the paint over, I really like it.  The hardest thing I've found is to keep the highlights and shadows in the right place and you seem to have no problems with that at all.  The dress appears to have less paintover.  Have you worked on it or will you be painting over it, or are you leaving it as is?

edited October 2017

Great work with the paint over, I really like it.  The hardest thing I've found is to keep the highlights and shadows in the right place and you seem to have no problems with that at all.  The dress appears to have less paintover.  Have you worked on it or will you be painting over it, or are you leaving it as is?

Thanks, I'm leaving it the dress. I mostly just wanted to do a face paintover and the dress was pretty blown out and already had a sort of painted on look. I did drop a shadow under the collar though because it was painted on the texture and looked a little flat. The technique I was trying is sort of a modification to the smudge technique, only instead of smudging you blur sections of the skin using the lasso tool. Then go back and do highlights and shadows, which are done on their own layers using 50% grey layers set to overlay. It's faster and there is less "movement" of things because your not using the smudge tool.

Another character study. This time a portrait of Darien from The Demon's Blade Saga

Thanks, I'm leaving it the dress. I mostly just wanted to do a face paintover and the dress was pretty blown out and already had a sort of painted on look. I did drop a shadow under the collar though because it was painted on the texture and looked a little flat. The technique I was trying is sort of a modification to the smudge technique, only instead of smudging you blur sections of the skin using the lasso tool. Then go back and do highlights and shadows, which are done on their own layers using 50% grey layers set to overlay. It's faster and there is less "movement" of things because your not using the smudge tool.

That sounds really interesting.  I really like the look of the paint over.  I did something similar with my Queen Naraida portrait but I used the smudge technique.  I really liked how it turned out but it did take a long time!

Darien looks great!

edited October 2017

@IceDragonArt I like the look of the smudge technique too, but it does take FOREVER! I can actually airbrush, really well even, but the same thing applies, it takes sooooo long! I'm really not a patient person. Which is why I don't like to paint hair. lol

Here's an eye and a nose that are 100% Photoshop painted, even the sketches were done in PS. Each one took me hours! 

Can you tell I used to specialize in graphite portraits, it's part of the reason I got into photography, so I would have better reference photos, but I ended up sticking to photography instead because it was faster, and paid WAY better lol 

Here's another Darian piece, from book 3 of the Demon's Blade Saga. He goes to meet a VERY large dragon. One so large that as he approches her he can see his full reflection in her eye. I loved that scene in the book and just had to try and recreate it. This is a mixed media piece. Photos, renders, painting.... 

Awesome job with drawing/painting that eye.  Of course it took hours, you can tell by looking at it.  I'm trying to learn to draw/paint.  So many things to learn and create, so little time!

• Very nice renders- you definitely have a style I recognize immediately.  Well done.

• Wow! I love that dragon eye reflection image.  That's very cool.

edited October 2017

So cool with the dragon eye!

I started out in Photoshop to draw and paint digitally as well as trying to learn photo manipulation. (although, I really like doing hair, most of the time, but man, the time it takes!)  Once I saw Daz Studio and realized that I could combine all three to get the piece I wanted I was thrilled.  I did spend the first year, year and a half just in Studio, mostly because I wanted to really learn the basics and knew if I let myself, I would take everything into photoshop and fix any issues without really learning how to not have those issues in the first place.  Once I felt I had learned the basics relatively well, I started adding post work to my work flow (about 6 months ago, I've had Studio for 2 years now as of last month.)  I have to say, the process of Studio to postwork is just as exciting as I thought it would be although I am still learning a ton of stuff and have a ton more to learn I am sure. I have added lightwave and camera raw to my post work work flow as well, which I think also has improved my post work.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Thanks everyone. I'm having a lot of fun illustrating scenes of this book. I am actually doing the covers for this series but they are more generic and not specifically based on anyone or thing. Although the author is considering using my Darian portrait on one of the books but I'm trying to talk him out of it. lol This one is the Demon King, although technically the demon king has his own horns and it's not a helmet, but I liked this look so I'm keeping it. lol 

Holy Smoly, just logged into my DA account to find that this photomanipulation I did on my daughters last year got a DD!!! 

I redid it off a piece I had done years before. When my photography took off I had to stop doing manips and focus on the business, only using Photoshop for retouches. Not the same skills you use for a full manipulation. When I came back {almost 10 years later) I was feeling more then a little rusty so I joined this group that had a mentor contest - redo your old work but have people tell you what you were doing wrong and what would look better. Odd things like "put a deeper shadow in the neck of that kitten." I never would have thought of doing that, but wow suddenly the head looks more round and the kitten has more depth. I learned so much and made some great friends, what a way to top off the experience! 

What a beautiful and fun scene/manip!

• Wow! That is amazing!  I'm not sure what a DD is but I think it was probably well deserved.  I love that image.  :)

Congrats!  That's really great and well deserved in my opinion!  Nicely done!  Love the demon helmet too, very real looking!

Thanks everyone, sorry I haven't been around much. Last spring when I disappeared for a while it was because of some family issues, that are still an ongoing issue, and got really bad last Sat night. It has to do with drug usage. We have a local NA group but it's for the users only, no family support. We have AA family group but it's weird to go to for me because there are only 6 old ladies who go and most of them are also alcoholics. None of them are dealing with active drug use. Anyone out there who has been through this or going through it feel free to PM me, could use the support. I have never been around this sort of thing before! 

Thanks everyone, sorry I haven't been around much. Last spring when I disappeared for a while it was because of some family issues, that are still an ongoing issue, and got really bad last Sat night. It has to do with drug usage. We have a local NA group but it's for the users only, no family support. We have AA family group but it's weird to go to for me because there are only 6 old ladies who go and most of them are also alcoholics. None of them are dealing with active drug use. Anyone out there who has been through this or going through it feel free to PM me, could use the support. I have never been around this sort of thing before! 

Oh I am so sorry!  I haven't been through this myself, but I know that its becoming an epidemic of huge proportions.  I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to navigate these particular waters.  I will be praying for you and your family and of course, I am always around if you need to just talk or vent.  I'm online most of the time, since my job requires my being on the internet so feel free if you just need a virtual hug or someone to listen.

Thanks @IceDragonArt I'm busy with what's going on around me but still doing my artwork when I can. It's the only thing that keeps my mind busy enough that I don't keep dwelling on things beyond my control. I just don't have a lot of free time so I'm cutting out time on the forums, just posting my art into the galleries for now until things calm down. 

Thanks @IceDragonArt I'm busy with what's going on around me but still doing my artwork when I can. It's the only thing that keeps my mind busy enough that I don't keep dwelling on things beyond my control. I just don't have a lot of free time so I'm cutting out time on the forums, just posting my art into the galleries for now until things calm down. 

Real life always has to come first. One of the reasons I do art is to relax and destress as well so I totally understand!  If you need anything let me know. 

edited November 2017

popping in real quick. I have been playing with character creation and painted finishes. Here is a new character I have been working on, my daughter says he's ugly, but I think he's hot, opinions? I have a bit of work to do with the eye morphs and I need to retone the skin, but so far I'm liking him. 

I'm posting the original png and the painted post work

Marco1.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 62K
    Marco1-painting.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 84K

Good thing we all have different ideas as to what's hot right?  I think he's gorgeous.

• Just because I can never get sick of doing dragons. :) 

I love dragons.... He(she?) is gorgeous!

• Thanks Sonja.

Here's a few I have been working on. I picked up Monique 8 and did a basic photo shoot type image with her. She's so pretty!

I also picked up Ophelia 7 during the PC sales for free, love the muscle in this girl! 

Gorgeous!  Love the god rays.  Yes, Monique turned out to be a good purchase for me as well.  She really is lovely.