Luxus discussion

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

It's set to a 30%/70% mirror and glossy mix.

The mirror material type is one of the slowest to converge in LuxRender. I stopped In the Elevator at 7500S/p, and it still has an incredible amount of noise in the mirror surfaces (at least when viewed at full resolution, not downscaled for dAs preview window). The other renders I've done that include mirror surfaces have also suffered similarly.

The most recent weekly 1.3dev build also includes LordCRC's changes to the glossy material to allow for higher, near-mirror roughness values. (It previously clamped roughness away from this due to numerical stability issues.) So I don't know if those changes would allow you to get the effect you are looking for without mixing in the mirror surface.

Highly glossy and/or specular materials in general, however, take longer for Lux to converge. You said you're currently just shy of 1300S/p. I generally consider 2000S/p the minimum for any render I do, and when there are things like a lot of volumetrics or other slow-to-converge surface types, will take things much further. I ran King to A5 to 15,500S/p, for example, because of all the glass2 volumes for the chess pieces.

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

My first render.
    Officially IMPRESSED with Luxus. :wow:

LUXUS_Text.jpg
    590 x 1000 - 425K
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    My first render.
    Officially IMPRESSED with Luxus. :wow:

Very nice image! :-)

Did you tweak the skin or is that the default conversion?

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

I am impressed too!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I am used to it, I am always impressed with what Hellboy does, most of the time. ;) Very cool image again. The snake looks very good and nicely posed.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

WOW, Hellboy, that's really awesome!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Sick render hellboy but then again you had made that type realistic looking character with Lux before

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Low quality test render, i used a titanium freshnal file with metal 2 and 4 levels of subdivision for the displacement. Looks ok I think.

test.jpg
    1131 x 1600 - 321K
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone!

No, it’s not the default conversion. I set the materials and lighting specifically for LuxRender.
    Guy and snake are Glossy Translucent with homogeneous volume for SSS. Snake has a Geometry Shell with Glass 2 with clear volume for an extra shiny coat.

This is the render I’m more satisfied with so far. Thanks for creating Luxus. :wow:

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Thanks everyone!

This is the render I’m more satisfied with so far. Thanks for creating Luxus. :wow:

I can see why best Luxus render I have seen. I also agree no matter what plug in one uses materials need adjusting for superior results..

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Hellboy said:
    Thanks everyone!

I can see why best Luxus render I have seen. I also agree no matter what plug in one uses materials need adjusting for superior results..

Thanks!
    Yeah, when using LuxRender:

1- ALWAYS Adjust materials specifically for LuxRender.
    2- ALWAYS create lighting specifically for LuxRender (better yet if you use HUGE meshlights or whatever they are called in Luxus).
    3- ALWAYS use the LuxRender GUI.

:)

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Bobvan said:
    Hellboy said:
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks!

2- ALWAYS create lighting specifically for LuxRender (better yet if you use HUGE meshlights or whatever they are called in Luxus).

I have been lux rendering for just over 13 months & I agree if one does not use the GUI one misses out... Once one gets used to adjusting the materials it becomes part of one's work flow..

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

Thanks!

I agree 100%. You want to take full advantage of LuxRender by using its own materials and lights and use the GUI for what it does extra.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

Very True!, totally agreed!
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

Success :)

Not perfect :) I really just wanted to check the skull cap was working

test_lux_1.png
    700 x 900 - 506K
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Success :)

Not perfect :) I really just wanted to check the skull cap was working

Oooo, That looks good Bea!!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I seem to be having issues with tiling textures. Is it possible that it is because they are ubershaders or something?

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I seem to be having issues with tiling textures. Is it possible that it is because they are ubershaders or something?

Have you updated Luxus? An issue with tiling was fixed in 1.0.0.3 I think.
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I did. And changing the base shader to studio default fixes it. But that as a long term fix would make me sad.

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Another test, getting there. rendered with sun/sky 2 to highlight the gold, all custom made normal maps for the embossed metal. Material is metal2 with AU (electroplated gold) freshnal file. The under shirt and pants are LUX cloth.

test.png
    1131 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Michael G on
  • genz44genz44 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Had some extra time this morning while rendering so I put up a render forum. DAZ Renders Anyone can feel free to help populate it with examples or make suggestions on the layout.

Michael_G: That's some real nice looking armor.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

genz44 said:
    Had some extra time this morning while rendering so I put up a render forum. DAZ Renders Anyone can feel free to help populate it with examples or make suggestions on the layout.

Thank you for creating this. Hopefully it will be widely used resource :)

edited March 2013

Someone knows how can I use IBL in Luxus? :-P

Post edited by Hellboy on
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

First.. stupid question LOL Is IBL an HRDI light?

If so, turn a light into a Luxus infinite light. Then under LuxRender settings there will be a place to use a map. Under LuxRenderLight/infinite, second from the bottom is environment map.

I haven't tried it yet so can't wait to see yours!

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

If so, turn a light into a Luxus infinite light. Then under LuxRender settings there will be a place to use a map. Under LuxRenderLight/infinite, second from the bottom is environment map.

Oh! That worked beautifuly! Thanks!
    Now I have to find how to make the foreground a separate layer from the IBL.
    Guess I should read the manual. :-P

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

I was actually taking time to test renders in Luxus, but seen your post and render in Luxus.
    Seeing your render in Reality is what actually got me interested in Luxrender and to buy Reality.

I was about to reply to your Luxus picture you posted with the snake, because I been using that snake to test glossiness. (auto-convert does not work for glossiness).

But think this is what you want from the manual:

What about HDRI lights?
    Yes they work. This would mean an infinite light in LuxRender with an High Dynamic Range Image(HDRI) as the map. Create one as follows:
    1. Create a light in Studio(type does not matter)
    2. Select the light
    3. Parameters Pane → Options Menu → “Luxus – LuxRender Light”
    4. Find the LuxRender Light parameters for the light in the Parameters Pane.
    5. Change the Environment Map to an image of your choosing. Any image can be used, but an
    HDRI image intended for lighting will give the best visual results. HDRI images commonly have the extension hdr or exr. As a common usage error: Many HDRI files have a jpeg version right next to them and the jpeg version will work, but the quality will be noticeably lower than the HDRI image.

* It should be the Infinite light you want.

Also just started testing with hdri maps and like the results.

Screen_Shot_2013-03-30_at_4.31_.26_PM_.png
    200 x 96 - 32K
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Hellboy said:

Oh! That worked beautifuly! Thanks!
    Now I have to find how to make the foreground a separate layer from the IBL.
    Guess I should read the manual. :-P

Beat me to it! :)

edited December 1969

Actually I'm glad you posted that too, I was using a JPG, I'll check a real imeage made for this.
    Thanks!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

I am not seeing LuxRender listed in the surfaces options.
    Am I missing a step somewhere?

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    I am not seeing LuxRender listed in the surfaces options.
    Am I missing a step somewhere?

Sometimes actions don't get added to the menu. You can add it manually in Customize (hit F3) of Studio or reload your workspace.

This discussion has been closed.