edited December 1969

Would I get to snog the companions?

Of course!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...*tsk* Richard. :red:

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2013

I thought that was fixed by turning it into a figure, or was that someone else with a similar issue?

No, it didn't turn into a figure. Remember you suggested that if I did that "convert to figure" it might create it but you need to restart poser to see it. Except I didn't see it after I restarted. And DAZ Studio basically lets you save it only in their proprietary format as far as I can see, so no sharing with poser users that way. I'm starting to lose interest in keeping up the investigation after spinning my wheels for so long on what ought to be a simple final step.

EDIT: I tried creating it as a figure in the Setup room rather than the hierarchy editor. This worked, it did create a figure but with no bones. Fine, it let me save it. And it loads in Studio and in Poser just fine. But once again, the rotations that I set up in the Poser joint editor failed to carry over to studio. You need to reproduce the rotations in Studio which is easy enough to do in the Studio joint editor (just change one door y-rotation value to +30 degress, the other to -30 degrees and they both work fine) but then there is no way to save that out of studio as a CR2 (or is there?) If so, maybe a figure saved out of Studio would preserve the joint rotations unlike poser. But since I don't know how to do it....

So far I can not find any way to do that in one app and have the other recognize it. I can't be the only person whose ever made a prop with an item which rotates but isn't lined up exactly along the X, Y, or Z axes but nobody has weighed in on how to do it with a way that works yet. As I said, bummer.

Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

You can use File>Export to save a CR2 from DAZ Studio, since you have the setup tools.

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

i am almost certain that daz studo has a plugin that will export to poser

http://www.daz3d.com/poser-format-exporter-pfe

edited December 1969

You can use File>Export to save a CR2 from DAZ Studio, since you have the setup tools.

Ah. Well there it is. So I import either the figure OR the prop I created in poser, both load fine. Rotations of the cubby lids on the console are off of course, so I fix them in DAZ joint editor, then try to save it out again as CR2. Uh oh, won't let me. Says there is no geometry or something of the sort. Arrrgh! So I tried to create it from scratch in Studio this time, and did. All those tedious rotations, etc. Then went to export as CR2 and it said I had no bones so couldn't save as figure. Presumably I have to rig this with bones or there is no way I can make one file that works in both programs. This is utterly maddening.

I'm tired of setting this up over and over and over and over. Am thinking of just releasing it as-is and letting the world work it out. It will work in poser now, to use in studio you have to adjust those two console doors in the joint editor, then it works there too.

Bluto, Poser format exporter is for poses, like if you want to save a facial expression you dialed up and transfer to poser you can use PFE. It's not for this sort of work. Wish it were.

• RosemaryrRosemaryr Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Just thought I would show my finished governess Clara pic... dress made in Marvelous Designer. Spanish Updo hair and Grand Staircase from here at Daz.

Clara.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 166K
  • edited December 1969

Since Matt Smith has announced his Christmas exit (and the Sun.uk online poll is closed already), I've opened a contest to pick the Twelfth Doctor.

Sorry to burst your bubble, old chum, but anyone from the UK knows that whatever The Sun prints, is usually 100% bullshit.
    Matt Smith has made no announcement of leaving, because if he had, every geek news site would be buzzing with it, and the Doctor Who forums would be in meltdown.
    Matt's last statement was that he'll see what the next year brings. Which was the same line he said the year before.

The Sun tabloid newspaper is about as trustworthy as Lying Larry Mc Lying Bastard, the biggest Liar in all of Lying Town, in the county of Lying on Lying Brook.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Lord Iffy said:
    Since Matt Smith has announced his Christmas exit (and the Sun.uk online poll is closed already), I've opened a contest to pick the Twelfth Doctor.

Sorry to burst your bubble, old chum,....

Yeah, so I've heard. Thought a contest for alternate Doctor faces would be fun, anyway. Ah well.

edited December 1969

Ah. Well there it is. So I import either the figure OR the prop I created in poser, both load fine. Rotations of the cubby lids on the console are off of course, so I fix them in DAZ joint editor, then try to save it out again as CR2. Uh oh, won't let me. Says there is no geometry or something of the sort. Arrrgh! So I tried to create it from scratch in Studio this time, and did. All those tedious rotations, etc. Then went to export as CR2 and it said I had no bones so couldn't save as figure. Presumably I have to rig this with bones or there is no way I can make one file that works in both programs. This is utterly maddening.

I'm tired of setting this up over and over and over and over. Am thinking of just releasing it as-is and letting the world work it out. It will work in poser now, to use in studio you have to adjust those two console doors in the joint editor, then it works there too.

Bluto, Poser format exporter is for poses, like if you want to save a facial expression you dialed up and transfer to poser you can use PFE. It's not for this sort of work. Wish it were.

Well, if you do release it I'll have a look and se if I can figure out a way to have it work on loading in both Poser and DS - it ought to be possible, but there's many a slip etc.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

I do not want Matt to leave any time soon. He is my favorite doctor.

oh if I have mainly seen new who, am I a whovian or do Whovians has to like old series?

edited December 1969

I went live with that alternate 4th doctor control room, link: Alternate TARDIS Control Room

SecondaryConsoleRoom_1.jpg
    900 x 506 - 319K
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I'll try having a prod at it and see if I can figure out a way to get one version to work in both Poser and DS over the weekend (probably).

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Thanks Grinch2901. This is a very welcome addition to my Doctor Who runtime.
    I'm going to have fun with this.

13-03-29_Secondary_Control_Room.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 423K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited December 1969

Since Al went for a character populated scene, I thought I'd go for an experiment in lighting.

Oh, the "thing" above the console? Consider it a holographic equivalent to the "time rotor" built into the various other control stands. Obviously not something we saw in the series. The only way the makers could have depicted such in the original series would have required "locking down" the camera to avoid "parallax" issues. So, not practical in the least.

Never the less, in my mind's eye, I can see the Doctor focusing his attention upon these nested columns as his fingers peck the limited array of buttons housing within the "pedestal" . Slowly rotating at different rates, the glowing cylinders display data that only the Doctor can read and the symbols dart around the curved surfaces.

I've thought for quite some time such an element would make an interesting juxtaposition with the deceiving antiquity of the room.

Sincerely,

Bill

2nd-Console-Room-J-1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 117K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

Nice one, Bill! I like it!

edited December 1969

Glad to see my set was well received, great renders Aldemps and Bill. Interesting concept Bill. It makes sense since the controls we saw are so minimal compared to the ones in his normal console. I think somewhere I read that this is actually the primary control room and most things are automated, the one the Doctor usually uses is supposed to be the secondary one and has all the manual controls. Or so some fan site said. Anyway, I liked the design and it fit with that eras gothic horror feel so I'm glad others are enjoying it too.

edited April 2013

My latest work in progress. Borrowed Aldemps' fantastic McGann console because it's similar to what I need and I haven't built mine yet. This one's going to take a while.

NewConsoleRoom_WIP2.jpg
    900 x 506 - 380K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited December 1969

That looks great.
    I am looking forward to the finished model.

13-04-07_docclara.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 420K
    edited December 1969

My latest work in progress. Borrowed Aldemps' fantastic McGann console because it's similar to what I need and I haven't built mine yet. This one's going to take a while.

Grinch , that is beautifuff . I am drooling already cant wait to get my grubby hands on it

edited December 1969

Just messing about.

Knocked up a quick cybermat using stuff in my runtimes.
    Body is Antfarm's Pill Bug (messed about with X & Y scales to make it narrower & flatter) & the eyes are the cybereye from Redfern's Davros set.
    I was aiming for something that was halfway between the original Tomb of the Cyberman cybermat & the long metal 'snake' from Revenge of the Cybermen.

I thought about adding antenae (andorian antenae freebies), but didn't like the finished result.

13-04-09_cybermats.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 451K
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    That looks great.

Is that Clara?

edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    That looks great.

Is that Clara?

yes, It's my first attempt at a toon Clara.
    I'll be fine tuning & tweaking as we see more of her to try & capture her character better.

edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    aldemps said:
    That looks great.

Is that Clara?

yes, It's my first attempt at a toon Clara.
    I'll be fine tuning & tweaking as we see more of her to try & capture her character better.

I actually love Clara. She is so wonderful as the new companion.

• LuckBeLuckBe Posts: 93
    edited April 2013

Not a great render (still a big WIP), but it's mostly just to show the Tenth Doctor character I've put together for Genesis. :D I'm really happy with how he's coming out!

Edit: Freebie credits now that I'm home again...

Tardis by Arjin @ Sharecg
    Metal shaders by Georgehaze @ Sharecg
    Shirt by El Lee @ Sharecg
    Shirt textures by Margy @ 3d.margy.de
    Jeans by Wilmap @ Sharecg
    Jeans Textures by palin11 @ Sharecg

teninthetardis.png
    1920 x 1440 - 5M
    Post edited by LuckBe on
    edited December 1969

guess who

guess_who.jpg
    796 x 637 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Nice doggy! K-9 has regenerated again.

Just messing about.

13-04-14_ice_warriors.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 497K
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 698
    edited December 1969

My idea of what the new Emperor should look like.

Emperor_Bling.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 468K
    edited December 1969

Just messing about with Futepen's free Sera character.

13-04-30_anime_who.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 591K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited December 1969

Oh my word! Well, depending upon the style targeted, an anime/manga version of Davison's Doctor could very well be depicted as an androgynous "bishie boy"! Is Sera used for both the Doctor and Tegan? I'm not familiar with that figure.

You know, given some of the "tropes" in anime and manga, both Hartnell and Troughton would probably be two foot tall, wizened Yoda-like goblins. Pertwee? We've seen at least one interpretation by that guy who made that 12 minute promotional anime.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/61811/Doctor-Who-anime-FINAL/

I understand the animator wound up with a job associated with the BBC and DW. Dream come true it seems.

Anyway, a neat spin on the characters. It really captures the motif!

Sincerely,

Bill