Luxus discussion

Comments

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

@ SphericLabs,
    Is it possible for you to add an Invert direction option for the Area/Mesh Light settings?

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Think I'm getting the hang of this.

read_death_lux.png
    640 x 800 - 780K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,
    Is it possible for you to add an Invert direction option for the Area/Mesh Light settings?
    Why can't you just turn it around 180 degrees...simple enough to do.
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

Probably for something like a cylinder?

edited December 1969

Doh! Yeah all normals in Daz Studio now face forward anyways but I am not sure if it is done on the render side or inside Daz Studio as the Negative scaling worked to reverse normals, before they changed that so any negative scaling, the normals would still face forward/out. :). It can be done in Shader Mixer I will have to go a dig out the link.

If I wasn't still rendring I would try negative scaling and see if that worked in Lux.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

LuxRender scene files accept the ReverseOrientation stanza to reverse the normals on subsequently loaded shapes. Best to use inside an AttributeBegin/AttributeEnd block so you don't end up reversing everything in your scene...

edited December 1969

Now we heading in the direction of not making any sense for me cwichura but thanks anyway. :) :P I understand what you mean just no idea how to implement it. One day I might just not now. Hopefully it will help the more advanced users among us.

edited December 1969

Just paste this into your Extra Settings on the material:

ReverseOrientation

All the normals on that material will be flipped.
  • jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Hopefully this isn't to off-topic... @cwichura how would one go about creating an effective network to utilize the resources on their machines? Right now, I create my scenes in DS on my laptop then via the Luxus plugin send it to the LuxRender installation on my faster machine but what happens is not only does my laptop stop functioning when I do this but the machine I send the file to doesn't seem to work very well either. The laptop is MacBook Pro (circa late 2008) and the rendering machine is a MacPro (2009). After reading the posts, it maybe I'm just running out of RAM--collectively the two machines only have 10GB.

Keep in mind, with LuxRender, there is no "collectively" when it comes to RAM. Each node must have enough RAM to load the scene in full. So if your scene requires 8GB of RAM to render, every node must have at least 12GB (because the OS needs a GB or two for itself in addition to the 8GB used by Lux). Lux does not slice the scene up between nodes such that each node is rendering a smaller section, using less memory.

So I'm not really sure how to answer your question about "creating an effective network" other than to say that each machine must have enough RAM. Then just run "luxconsole -s -W -P " on each of the slave machines. On the master machine, assuming all the machines are on the same network, you can add the slaves in with "machinename.local". The master will also render as well; there is no way to tell it not to. (You can drop its thread count down to 1 to relax its CPU load, but it will still consume all the memory LuxRender would normally consume for the scene.)

Also, the default network fetch time in Lux is crazy stupid fast. Network fetch is actually a fairly expensive process, as it locks the film buffers for long periods while the film is exported/merged to/from the .flm file. And when the film buffers are locked, the rendering threads are stalled. I wouldn't use anything less than 15 minutes (900 seconds) and I only use 900 when I'm doing quick material tests. During final render, I set it to one hour (3600 seconds).

You can pause the master and the slave(s) keep rendering. I do that all the time to free up my CPU for another render. I have 2 slaves so I send a render to each of them and keep one on my main computer. All three renders do stay in memory, but that's not generally a problem with 32GB on my master.

180 seconds works fine for me when starting a render to get quick updates to be certain the lights and materials are rendering properly, then once I'm sure the render is going to run for hours I can set it higher to increase efficiency.

edited December 1969

Just paste this into your Extra Settings on the material:
    ReverseOrientation

All the normals on that material will be flipped.
    As usual when code hits my eyes I go running. I should learn to relax more. That simple Spheric...man I had no idea it would be that easy. Thanks for that.
    edited March 2013

A New LuxBall for DAZ Studio was posted in the LuxRender forums. It has the newer LuxBall6 that mattymanx used plus the lights, cloth, and bubbles.
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94439&hilit=luxball#p94439

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited March 2013

jimzombie said:
    Think I'm getting the hang of this.

I would have to agree with you on that one.

edited March 2013

Luxus 1.0.0.4 is updated and available in your accounts. Just the plugin is updated, content is the same.

Here is what this fixes:

* Gamma - Colors are now properly linearized. This is important, everyone is encouraged to update and to click on Reset To Default at the bottom of Render Settings.
    * Depth of Field values are now passed into LuxRender and work.
    * Accidental resuming when overwriting is fixed
    * Autotranslation of UberSurface tweaked in regards to the Gamma changes and to favor subsurface color.
    * Transmap issues improved
    * Extra Command Line for passing command line arguements to LuxRender. This allows advanced control of number of threads and even theoretically master/slave rendering control.
    * IES lights files belong on the area light(in the material light section) and work.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Luxus 1.0.0.4 is updated and available in your accounts. Just the plugin is updated, content is the same.

Here is what this fixes:

* Gamma - Colors are now properly linearized. This is important, everyone is encouraged to update and to click on Reset To Default at the bottom of Render Settings.
    * Autotranslation of UberSurface tweaked in regards to the Gamma changes and to favor subsurface color.
    * Extra Command Line for passing command line arguements to LuxRender. This allows advanced control of number of threads and even theoretically master/slave rendering control.
    * IES lights files belong on the area light(in the material light section) and work.

Yay! I've been looking forward to these changes. Gonna have to see if my hair renders properly now...
  • InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Thank You! :-)

edited December 1969

Here is what this fixes:

Can you expand a little more on this please. Are you saying with me changing all the Gamma settings to 2.2, with this update I will no longer need to do that as it will be automatic?

And thank you for the updates..very cool

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Here is what this fixes:

Can you expand a little more on this please. Are you saying with me changing all the Gamma settings to 2.2, with this update I will no longer need to do that as it will be automatic?

And thank you for the updates..very cool

Yes, but there is more. All the colors(like in the Surfaces Pane) also need to be linearized when sent to LuxRender to be correct and now they are.

edited December 1969

Arr thanks I thought that was already being done.just shows what I know.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

Yes that would be correct, it's an option that Reality has.

edited March 2013

fusionla said:
    Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

I can add it as an option, for now you can simple paste the following line into your Extra Settings on the Material
    ReverseOrientation

edited December 1969

Here is what this fixes:

Again, thanks for the fast updates.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,
    Because it's kind of hard to flip a prop inside out! :)
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited March 2013

fusionla said:
    Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

Scale of -100% will turn a prop inside out.

Post edited by ketthrove on
  • ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

ketthrove said:
    fusionla said:
    Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

Scale of -100% will turn a prop inside out.

Wait no looks the this exports in local space, forget my last

edited December 1969

If we used a negative scaling value we essentailly turn the object inside out. This is how we made a Shpere in to a lightdome with texture applied and it made a nice environment soft light in Daz Studio but now that is not possible because now when you turn something inside out the normals will still be facing outward. This was done a couple of DS4.5 versions past. But from your question and my stupid reply we now have the simple answer of copy and paste when using LuxRender and Luxus. So simple I love it.

edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    Szark said:
    fusionla said:
    @ SphericLabs,

I can add it as an option, for now you can simple paste the following line into your Extra Settings on the Material
    ReverseOrientation

Knowing that we are learning to use Luxus and I Luxrender now, it's been great having you be helpful and taking constructive criticism and feedback to help Luxus grow.

edited March 2013

This is what I am working on at present. Trying to get to grips with Lux carpiant was a challenge but the wiki does help a lot with this side of things, Not prefect but enough to get by.

7KS/p and still running at 31 hours in Hybrid mode.

Out of interest see the orange patch of rock to the right of the walkway just below the helpipad, does it look blurred to you. I think my glasses need checking but for me that area looks a liitle blurred. Is this normal as this s/p?

The PreMultiply Alpha seems to work great. I can't see any outline as we would do in Daz Studio as a png but as this size it is pretty hard to see any detail when blown up in size..

Now for somethng cool in to go the background. I still haven't decided but it will come to me as I trawl through my library. ;)

d65_copy.jpg
    636 x 900 - 643K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Just bought this and I love that all the settings are native in Daz. I just want one preset. A human skin one:)

edited March 2013

Zev0 said:
    Just bought this and I love that all the settings are native in Daz. I just want one preset. A human skin one:)

For the 1.0.0.4 update to Luxus, UberSurface to LuxRender translation is significantly improved.

We won't realize the ultimate until we actually model skeleton and muscles inside the figure and make the skin more translucent. For the advanced artist out there, the geometry shell available in DAZ Studio pushed inside the figure with a texture map would be a start.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

cool thanks..

This discussion has been closed.