The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    That console room looks to be coming on nicely.

Just messing about.

...ahh, the "other" Leela. Nice.
  • aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Just messing about.

"One day I shall come back...."

13-02-09_OneDay.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 423K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Ah, yes...the beauty of time travel!

I'd expect Smith's Doctor to reply, "Sorry, took a bit longer than I thought."

Sincerely,

Bill

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited February 2013

Alright, I basically finished the secondary control room but I have a problem. The console is like an old writing desk with covers that pull down on a hinge so I used the joint editor in Poser to set up two of them (I didn't bother with all of them) so you can open them. I had to change the orientation on the hotpoint so it would rotate correctly. It works fine in poser, also in carrara. But in Daz Studio it doesn't rotate properly. Instead of rotating in one axis (x), it rotates in both X and Z for some reason and it's all messed up. I'm trying to figure out why, In the meantime, I'm done with modeling and this is the final look of it. Once I figure out the rotations problem, I'll package it up and share it out.

SecondaryConsoleRoom.jpg
    900 x 506 - 319K
    Compared_baker-secondary-control-room.jpg
    420 x 466 - 62K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited December 1969

Grinch, that's looking pretty darn good! I say the following with utmost honesty. For a moment when I first saw that last image of your post, I thought it might have been a "behind the scenes" snapshot of Tom on the set.

Which makes me somewhat ashamed to mention this. Why is the screen facade so different from the reference shots. Purposeful artistic license? Actually, having it protrude a bit more into the room gives it a nice touch. I like that. But the "viewer" is bit small when one considers that in the photo, it almost fills that particular "face". True, it's a minor thing when one considers the set as a whole, but since it is a focal point for both the actors and the audience, I could not help but to notice it.

Sincerely,

Bill

• blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

hey ald , im looking for a stalk of celery for my toon doctor 5 , i hope you may be able to point me in the right direction

grinch very nice work , cant wait to use the set . that one was always one of my favorites

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Grinch, that’s looking pretty darn good! I say the following with utmost honesty. For a moment when I first saw that last image of your post, I thought it might have been a “behind the scenes” snapshot of Tom on the set.

Which makes me somewhat ashamed to mention this. Why is the screen facade so different from the reference shots. Purposeful artistic license? Actually, having it protrude a bit more into the room gives it a nice touch. I like that. But the "viewer" is bit small when one considers that in the photo, it almost fills that particular "face". True, it's a minor thing when one considers the set as a whole, but since it is a focal point for both the actors and the audience, I could not help but to notice it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thanks for your comment about the render, I was trying to replicate the overall look of the reference backstage photo just for the fun of it. Glad to hear my efforts worked a little bit.

Regarding the deviations in my model, you caught me! This particular console room has very few good reference photos, and I looked at what I could and then built it more or less from memory. I never really did a side-by-side comparison to a reference image until I posted that one last night and I saw the same thing you did, that the viewscreen is way too small. Also, the railings were to short. I did go back into Hexagon and repair both of those problems to the best of my availability. This isn't screen accurate by any stretch but it ought to be close enough to give the feeling. It certainly has the benefit of being the only version of it I know which is being shared. That said, I wanted to fix those big obvious problems because they were ... obvious!

That said, I've got problems using this thing in Daz Studio. Right all the parts open and close correctly in Poser and Carrara but in Daz they don't. I posted a question in the Nuts n Bolts forum as to why, we'll see what comes back. I primarily use Studio so it's really setting me back. If you want to see the question with some pics of what's broken, here's the link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16746/

edited December 1969

Glad you took my observation in the spirit I intended. Analyzing someone's efforts can be a tricky business, potentially leading to wounded feelings. So, you modeled most of it initially from memory? Consider me d*mn impressed! I know I would not have gotten it anywhere near as accurate as you did.

I wish I could provide some technical assistance for the rotation issue, but since I don't have D|S installed, let alone understanding its various features, I don't have any feedback to offer.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    hey ald , im looking for a stalk of celery for my toon doctor 5 , i hope you may be able to point me in the right direction

I got my celery from renderosity freestuff - just search for 'celery' - It's a prop by bopperthijs

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

grinch , im no expert on daz studio ,
    i use poser but i was wondering .
    couldnt you use the poser importer plugin to convert your console room for use with studio.what you have set up for poser should stay the same , i think
    and besidese ime really really wanting this comsole room

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Just playing with the Golden Emperor, since he's my favorite Dalek Emperor.

Emperor_Cliff.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 441K
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

What outfit you used for Susan? I am looking for something just like that for one of my characters.

edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

What outfit you used for Susan? I am looking for something just like that for one of my characters.

The shoes are freebies - http://www.ShareCG.com/v/16033/view/11/Poser/Aiko3Shoes
    The pants are from Capri Fashions for A3 (DAZ Platinum Club)
    The top was from Kobamax's Casual for A3, but it no longer seems to be available from the Renderosity marketplace (although a similar set is available for V4).

Just messing about.
    A reworking of an older render - The Return of the Black Guardian.

13-02-11_Return_of_the_Black_Guardian.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 345K
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

RIP Ray Cusick, one of the greats.

Doctor Who Dalek designer Ray Cusick dies after illness

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    grinch , im no expert on daz studio ,
    i use poser but i was wondering .
    couldnt you use the poser importer plugin to convert your console room for use with studio.what you have set up for poser should stay the same , i think
    and besidese ime really really wanting this comsole room

How would you use an importer to get DS items into Poser to get Poser items into DS? Or did I misunderstand you?

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

why convert it? I nearly always install content to Poser - that way i can use it in either DAZ Studio or Poser. Mats usually need a little tweaking, but i think that always adds to the originality of an image. in fact, i generally like to change the colours anyway.

edited December 1969

Playing around with a few models here - Alan Dempsters Attic TARDIS, and transmats, Daleks by Billy home, Mechmaster, and Samtherapy.

time_machine.jpg
    961 x 689 - 344K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

Sometimes I want to go on an adventure with the Doctor.

edited December 1969

Zeg.

Zeg_corridor.jpg
    1258 x 870 - 447K
    edited December 1969

I've finished building the new Dalek - now I just need to rig it for poser and its all done. the city background isnt mine btw - it's adam bullocks.

dalek_in_city.jpg
    937 x 671 - 353K
    edited December 1969

Doctor, Doctor! My house lady is turning into a Dalek!

edited December 1969

I love my new Dalek, but i cant figure out how to rig it. in the meantime - heres another picture

dalek_city_scene.jpg
    961 x 725 - 503K
    edited December 1969

hey grinch , is there any progres on that secondary console room ???

edited December 1969

Bluto, I have tried to figure out ways to make it work with both studio and with poser and just can't. Those doors in the console require you to change the rotational alignments in the joint setup window for each to open/close them properly but those settings just don't seem to transfer between programs. I can make it work in either program but I can't get a single prop file that will work in both. Bummer. I still want to share this so I guess I'll have to make two versions for distro. Grrrr.

In the meantime Bluto, if you want to test it in Poser for me then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Since Matt Smith has announced his Christmas exit (and the Sun.uk online poll is closed already), I've opened a contest to pick the Twelfth Doctor.

edited December 1969

I realize you're just wanting to give us fair warning, but until I read an official statement from the BBC, I'll treat any word about Smith's departure with some healthy skepticism, especially if said announcement was printed by "The Sun", Britain's answer to the "National Enquirer". It's likely that rag is just trying to pump up circulation.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Bluto, I have tried to figure out ways to make it work with both studio and with poser and just can't. Those doors in the console require you to change the rotational alignments in the joint setup window for each to open/close them properly but those settings just don't seem to transfer between programs. I can make it work in either program but I can't get a single prop file that will work in both. Bummer. I still want to share this so I guess I'll have to make two versions for distro. Grrrr.

In the meantime Bluto, if you want to test it in Poser for me then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

I thought that was fixed by turning it into a figure, or was that someone else with a similar issue?

edited December 1969

How about make Richard Haseltine the next Doctor?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Would I get to snog the companions?