The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

I, too, want to thank Stonemason for this contest. It has opened my eyes in many ways. I have learned much over the past month and realize I have a long hill to climb ahead.

I am hoping that some of you might be willing to take the time to look at my two entries and send me a PM with critiques and possible links to tutorials for improvement. If willing, you can find me on pgs 13 (near top) & 49 (near bottom).

• BnomSandyBnomSandy Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    I, too, want to thank Stonemason for this contest. It has opened my eyes in many ways. I have learned much over the past month and realize I have a long hill to climb ahead.

X2 This. The Stonemason contest was a real inspiration. I had been messing around with D|S for about a week, but this contest really put me into high gear to learn the interface and push my abilities and knowledge, as well as being able to see I have much to learn and a long way to go to reach the level of expertise displayed in these contest entries. Thank you, Stonemason, as well as all the other artists who entered. It was a challenge to try to rise to the level of many other entries in this contest.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Don't forget we have to judge too. :)

Thanks for pointing that out, I had to re-read the rules, didn't notice that the first time around. It's a great reason to look through the thread full of images again.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

hi all..
    contest is officialy over...feel free to post on other sites if you'd like to,
    I'll try and get a new thread posted in a couple days that has all the images in one clean thread so we can all vote a little easier..also will get the past random winners sorted.

thanks so much for everyones participation,It's been great to see so many cool renders from everyone!.

Cheers
    Stefan

I'm looking forward to the one clean thread for voting!

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2013

Here's a link to the 6000x2553 full-size version of my second entry... http://fav.me/d5yjffv

...and here's the wallpaper version attached -

Sanctuary_wallpaper.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Jabba on
  • sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

In preparing to vote, I went through the entries and came up with about 60 of the 250+ entries that look to me to be of championship quality. I somewhat considered the creativity of the idea, the structure of the image, the cleverness of the use of the Stonemason product, the technical expertise exhibited, and the overall feeling I had for the image.

So my thoughts are that there is a lot of talent displayed here, and that the final winners are going to be determined by a highly subjective process. This is the best collection of renders I have ever seen. Well done, guys!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Nice one, same criteria as I will be using to cast my votes. :)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited March 2013

Thank you Stefan, and thanks to everyone who posted images. There was some great work here. I hope to be able to join in next year :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Thank you Stefan, and thanks to everyone who posted images. There was some great work here. I hope to be able to join in next year :)

I'll echo that!

Just studying what has been submitted is a great learning exercise.

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

I finally have some time today and took a look through the entries. Absolutely outstanding array of images!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravo!

• skamotionskamotion Posts: 86
    edited March 2013

I know I'm late and not eligible but I'll post it anyway. I thought you might like to see it. Maybe you can do the same next time but allow films. We love your work.

We used Stonemason Deck c in our film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5AFVGe-PQ

Cheers

SKA

Post edited by skamotion on
  • Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

skamotion said:
    I know I'm late and not eligible but I'll post it anyway. I thought you might like to see it. Maybe you can do the same next time but allow films. We love your work.

We used Stonemason Deck c in our film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5AFVGe-PQ

Cheers

SKA

I wish it was longer.. and had 2 dancing together like a robot love dance

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

With Stefans stuff im not sure if im actually good as an artist or its his things or a mix of both....

The first image i made for the contest named " Discovery " was first page all day long yesterday at Devian Art and as we talk it counts 13.000 views...

http://isikol.deviantart.com/art/THE-DISCOVERY-360336367

i got a letter from a publisher who, after seeing my image, wants me to make a scifi cover for an Amazon book that he will publish...

not an electronic one but a print!

Stephan i cant thank you enough because my art depends on your models...yours and those of many other vendors....so..THANK YOU STEFAN not only you, but ANYONE who makes all those great 3d stuff we use!

• WildscarWildscar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    With Stefans stuff im not sure if im actually good as an artist or its his things or a mix of both....

The first image i made for the contest named " Discovery " was first page all day long yesterday at Devian Art and as we talk it counts 13.000 views...

i got a letter from a publisher who, after seeing my image, wants me to make a scifi cover for an Amazon book that he will publish...

Stephan i cant thank you enough because my art depends on your models...yours and those of many other vendors....so..THANK YOU STEFAN not only you, but ANYONE who makes all those great 3d stuff we use!

That's awesome news. Good to see such awesome talent get put to good use. Keep it up. You inspire several people with your creativity and artwork.

• WildscarWildscar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hi all..
    contest is officialy over...feel free to post on other sites if you'd like to,
    I'll try and get a new thread posted in a couple days that has all the images in one clean thread so we can all vote a little easier..also will get the past random winners sorted.

thanks so much for everyones participation,It's been great to see so many cool renders from everyone!.

Cheers
    Stefan

Thanks for the chance to win. Good luck to all.

• skamotionskamotion Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

I wish it was longer.. and had 2 dancing together like a robot love dance

Maybe that can be our next one

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited March 2013

:)

kmw

Post edited by kmw_5213 on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Obviously Not an Entry

did this about a week before the contest started and had already posted it, since the contest is now over I thought I'd repost it

Mech-Patrol-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 212K
  • edited December 1969

Thanks Stonemanson for this great contest, and Good luck everyone.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Obviously Not an Entry

did this about a week before the contest started and had already posted it, since the contest is now over I thought I'd repost it

Thats pretty cool looking. I liked your Eighth Wonder of the World one too.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Obviously Not an Entry

Thats pretty cool looking. I liked your Eighth Wonder of the World one too.

thanx DB, i have been wanting to do my Kong renders for a while. I have some more planned for the future

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...finally have enough installed on the new system to actually create a pic.

...ahhh well, there's always the next one.

...good luck and good fortune to all.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Holy smokes! That is amazing news! Congrats to you. Your work is incredible.

Here I am happy to get even a few views of my stuff, but 13000? That is really awesome!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Isokol...seriously, if I was looking for an illustrator/artist for a future, sci-fi book to be published, I would be in contact with you immediately...your works are just incredible. Hope you win, and best of luck, and thanks, to all involved, too, which truly set the bar higher for us poor players to strive towards.

Jay
    Btw...need it be said....thank you also Stefan (Stonemason)... look forward to the next contest (hint : ) )

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Congratulations!!! Wonderful illustration.

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Congratulations!!! Wonderful illustration.

agreed... congrats!!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

I'm not surprised, it's a very professional and detailed image. Good composition, expressive pose, lots of attention paid to the details of the scenery to make it work as a setting. Well done and congratulations.

• squirrelysquirrely Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

ohh no ... stonemason is on sale

should i buy a couple of items i want ???
    or wait to find out if i won something ???

ohh ... what to do ???

• FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Wow, amazing image!
    Congrats! :)

• edited December 1969

Isikol said:

Congratulations! Well-deserved recognition.