Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    Dang, Nice work Bandit. Looks like I'll need to just give up Rendering and Create tools for people that can render.

Thank you so much, Jeff, I'm Jaime :cheese:

Don't sell yourself short; didn't your signature used to say that the only person you should compete with is yourself? And there's a bromide that observes a person who compare themselves to others will end up bitter or vain. :-P

But leaving those aside, I'm a great fan of your work (especially the ones that involve Bruuna :lol: ); you have a classic, cinematographic style that makes for compelling story telling :-)

Enough pontificating. You rock! ;-)

Best,
    JaimeBLUSH!! Head to Toe. And it's a sad thing that Daz will not let us do Bruuna here any longer. My old school style is because I'm old. :-P

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Geminii23 said:
    Ok, I think I follow you. Here are more screen shots. Please let me know if this helps.
    Yes this will help greatly I would like just one more please With the Golden rule Selected could you pick Transforms in the Parameters Tab. That will give me the last bit of Info I should need.

Thank you So Much for the help. I'll think of some way to thank you properly once I get this tracked down and Fixed.

Jeff

Hey Jade,

Hopefully this one is what you need. I picked the RO_Thirds and tried scaling on the Z only this time, but I have actually tried every possible combination of parameters and can not seem to ever get the grid to display.

You have already helped everyone a lot with doing this plugin so I would feel like an opportunist for asking anything more of you. Any help I can be to get this plugin going and ready for prime-time just say the word and I'm in.

Thanks.

daz-RO_Thirds-scaled-zonly.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 325K
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    BLUSH!! Head to Toe. And it's a sad thing that Daz will not let us do Bruuna here any longer. My old school style is because I'm old. :-P

Your headshot of Brunna is all kinds of awesome :cheese: And those lips! :kiss: =P~ At least there's always DA :-P

I'm no spring chicken neither ;-) At 51 I'm older than a lot of the young'uns here :lol: And speaking of old school, I'd have to say that my greatest influence is Will Eisner, specifically from the classic The Spirit period :)

Don't even get me started on the movie version :blank:

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Jaderail said:
    Geminii23 said:
    Ok, I think I follow you. Here are more screen shots. Please let me know if this helps.
    Yes this will help greatly I would like just one more please With the Golden rule Selected could you pick Transforms in the Parameters Tab. That will give me the last bit of Info I should need.

Thank you So Much for the help. I'll think of some way to thank you properly once I get this tracked down and Fixed.

Jeff

Hey Jade,

Hopefully this one is what you need. I picked the RO_Thirds and tried scaling on the Z only this time, but I have actually tried every possible combination of parameters and can not seem to ever get the grid to display.

You have already helped everyone a lot with doing this plugin so I would feel like an opportunist for asking anything more of you. Any help I can be to get this plugin going and ready for prime-time just say the word and I'm in.

Thanks.Okay, I may have Spotted an Issue. Your Z-Translate it way off the Default. As Stated in the PDF that is not a Parameter that needs touched. Only the X Scale and Z Scale are used to adjust the Overlay. If you Reset the Z-Translate to back to -100 and test it I would really like to know what you get then.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    BLUSH!! Head to Toe. And it's a sad thing that Daz will not let us do Bruuna here any longer. My old school style is because I'm old. :-P

Your headshot of Brunna is all kinds of awesome :cheese: And those lips! :kiss: =P~ At least there's always DA :-P

I'm no spring chicken neither ;-) At 51 I'm older than a lot of the young'uns here :lol: And speaking of old school, I'd have to say that my greatest influence is Will Eisner, specifically from the classic The Spirit period :)

Don't even get me started on the movie version :blank:Hmm... Same Age (yep) and the same Influences. It's so nice to meet another from my age with the same interests and Hobbies.

HINT: I plan some more Brunna stuff as I get time and my project needs a step or two away from it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Geminii23 said:
    Jaderail said:
    Geminii23 said:

Jeff

Hey Jade,

Thanks.Okay, I may have Spotted an Issue. Your Z-Translate it way off the Default. As Stated in the PDF that is not a Parameter that needs touched. Only the X Scale and Z Scale are used to adjust the Overlay. If you Reset the Z-Translate to back to -100 and test it I would really like to know what you get then.

Hey Jade,

As a test, I started a new blank scene. Created a Camera and then loaded the Gold Rule. I made no changes to the camera and still have the same issue. GL_Sections and RO_Thirds do not work for me. All others display just fine on initial camera setup and work when I change camera settings such as DOF and Focal Length.

The settings on default are: Z Translate -100, X Rotate 90, and Scale 14.8

I am on 4.5.1.56 Pro (64 Bit) and running Mac OSx 10.6.8. My DAZ library is installed on secondary HDD and not default location.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

This looks great!
    Any way you make it backward compatible with the older versions of Studio?

Just asking.

edited December 1969

Hey Jade,

Here is another idea regarding this plugin. Would it be possible to be able to add multiple instances of the Golden Rules. For example, if I wanted to use the Spirals but on top of that have the RO_Thirds. This might help create some really elaborate compositions.

Thanks.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

Hey, Jaderail, thanks so much for this thing! I love it. I never used a gizmo like this before. I was taught in art school that composition is kind of instinctive, so I never played with compositional devices, and always waste a lot time trying to get things just right. This seems to help pull things together faster. This is one I just did for this month's freebee contest.
    :-)

Kays_Flea_market.jpg
    700 x 560 - 426K
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Hey Jade,

As a test, I started a new blank scene. Created a Camera and then loaded the Gold Rule. I made no changes to the camera and still have the same issue. GL_Sections and RO_Thirds do not work for me. All others display just fine on initial camera setup and work when I change camera settings such as DOF and Focal Length.

I am on 4.5.1.56 Pro (64 Bit) and running Mac OSx 10.6.8. My DAZ library is installed on secondary HDD and not default location.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Okay so a fresh version is not showing those two textures. That's the part I can not get my head around All the overlays are the same file type and the same sizes. If six of the eight load all 8 should load. Now I'm right back at zero with fix Ideas.

Okay you could try this. Open the zip file to a temp folder goto Runtime/Textures and open all the way to the Files themself's. Open the two not working in any of your art programs and the RESAVE them to your HD so they are save by your PC. Then Replace those two textures in the Working (your DS Content) folder with the two you just saved. That is the only Idea I have right now.
    edited December 1969

This looks great!
    Any way you make it backward compatible with the older versions of Studio?

Just asking.

An DS4.0 version is in the works but RL has slowed me Down. It will be announced in this thread when finished.
    A DS3/DS3A version is planed after the DS4.0 version is finished.
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Hey Jade,

Here is another idea regarding this plugin. Would it be possible to be able to add multiple instances of the Golden Rules. For example, if I wanted to use the Spirals but on top of that have the RO_Thirds. This might help create some really elaborate compositions.

Thanks.

You can read minds I see. That is the Idea for the next version. But I still have to finish the DS4.0 and DS3/DS3A sets of this version before I do the next version.
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Hey, Jaderail, thanks so much for this thing! I love it. I never used a gizmo like this before. I was taught in art school that composition is kind of instinctive, so I never played with compositional devices, and always waste a lot time trying to get things just right. This seems to help pull things together faster. This is one I just did for this month's freebee contest.
    :-)
    Your welcome Luci45. Like you I also studied Art but for me it was Commercial Art. The Rules of Composition were emphasized heavily in print medium. They have stuck with me, but as pointed out in the PDF breaking the rules can work just as well or even better depending on the image.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... Same Age (yep) and the same Influences. It's so nice to meet another from my age with the same interests and Hobbies.

HINT: I plan some more Brunna stuff as I get time and my project needs a step or two away from it.

You said it :cheese: We can understand each other's cultural/historical references. I get a lot of blank looks from my students :P

Yum! :-P looking forward to your new Bruuna stuff; something naughty came to mind immediately involving here and JGRS :lol:

edited December 1969

Yum! :-P looking forward to your new Bruuna stuff; something naughty came to mind immediately involving here and JGRS :lol:
    Your so in my head sometimes, watch your step it's a very cluttered place. :coolsmile:
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    Your so in my head sometimes, watch your step it's a very cluttered place. :coolsmile:

You say that like it's a bad thing :lol: :cheese:

It seems that a number of deviants who entered also posted their entries on their DA page. And since the shortlisters are being notified posting after an entry has been submitted looks to be ok.

As promised, here's how I used JGRS for my entry. A main requirement, stated upfront, was that it had to be in landscape format.

The stories were great as Neil's always is. I was moved to tears by the December Tale:

NEIL ASKED:
    “Who would you like to see again in December?”

@Geminitm REPLIED:
    “My 18 yo-runaway-self so I can show her that I find someone to love &
    own a home of my own - it did get better.”

The first thing that came to mind was a straight rendition of one of the scenes-- and a lot of people did that.

So I did some free association and something about the past and future sparked an image of a playing card, specifically a queen. That became my starting point.

After several attempts I found that Genesis with Zev0's facial weight/aging morphs gave me what I wanted for the runaway and older Donna.

And because both the past and future self needed to be in the same position, I used JGRS as markers:

Donna_Older.png
    1515 x 1515 - 2M
    Donna_Younger.png
    1515 x 1515 - 2M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited March 2013

I exported via Reality 2.5 and rendered in LuxRender 1.2.

In PS I changed her hair to orange as that was a key point in the story, mirrored the image and added the Sharpen More and Red Paw Media's Bleach Bypass filters.

Donna_Older_Card_Layout_December_Tale_Sharpen_More_Bleach_Bypass_mirrored.png
    1515 x 1515 - 3M
    Donna_Younger_Card_Layout_December_Tale_sharpen_more_bleach_bypass_mirrored.png
    1515 x 1515 - 4M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited March 2013

And after trying several Queen layouts, I settled on one composed it in landscape and added two key lines.

For the final entry I used another font because this version was similar to the It Gets Better logo, which is why I liked it.

December_Tale.png
    1687 x 1109 - 3M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

NICE Work Bandit. Thank you for the peek.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Geez, Bandit. I was scrolling through just looking at the images to see how people were using the layouts, and from the first two previews I instantly knew you were illustrating that story. I hadn't read a word. Very nice.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2013
    screenshot.17-03-2013_18_.56_.43_.jpg
    1007 x 807 - 382K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

Ah ha, I see your learning to break the rules early. Double focal points one of the first that works very well.
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    Geminii23 said:
    Hey Jade,

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Okay so a fresh version is not showing those two textures. That's the part I can not get my head around All the overlays are the same file type and the same sizes. If six of the eight load all 8 should load. Now I'm right back at zero with fix Ideas.

Okay you could try this. Open the zip file to a temp folder goto Runtime/Textures and open all the way to the Files themself's. Open the two not working in any of your art programs and the RESAVE them to your HD so they are save by your PC. Then Replace those two textures in the Working (your DS Content) folder with the two you just saved. That is the only Idea I have right now.

Hey Jade,

Checking back in on this. So can you tell me what the difference is with the Default and the DIM versions of your installs?

I am using the DIM, but I am using a custom folder path. So all of my content is installed on a secondary drive. When I first installed the plugin I did use the DIM version and placed everything appropriately to my understanding.

I have tried using both versions and no luck. I also tried opening the two files in question in Phototshop and resaving them and that didn't work either.

Thanks

Post edited by Geminii23 on
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Hey Jade,

Checking back in on this. So can you tell me what the difference is with the Default and the DIM versions of your installs?

I am using the DIM, but I am using a custom folder path. So all of my content is installed on a secondary drive. When I first installed the plugin I did use the DIM version and placed everything appropriately to my understanding.

I have tried using both versions and no luck. I also tried opening the two files in question in Phototshop and resaving them and that didn't work either.

Thanks

The two installs are Identical, I just did that to make it easy for people to use. I have a Mac friend in the CV's, I'll get him to see if he can help me solve this for you.
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much, Jad and Agent :-) Will continue to refine December Tale; Neil comes to this country every so often and I'd love to get his signature on a printed version of this :cheese:

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • SikSavantSikSavant Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was feeling grateful for this prop and decided to create some Metadata for it. I'd like to share this if possible, but I have no web file storage. It's probably best if Jaderail distributes it anyway so folks can get it all at from one source. Is there a way I can get get this to you?

edited December 1969

SikSavant said:
    I was feeling grateful for this prop and decided to create some Metadata for it. I'd like to share this if possible, but I have no web file storage. It's probably best if Jaderail distributes it anyway so folks can get it all at from one source. Is there a way I can get get this to you?
    That is very generous of you SikSavant. If you PM me I'll tell you how to get the Files to me and I'll add them to the Archives. You will also get Full Credit in the Readme and PDF and the Updated Files post as the Author of the Metadata.
    edited December 1969

Heads up for all USERS of The Golden Rules. Due to an Error found in the Files for Mac users further development of this version and Versions for DS4.0 and DS3 users has temporarily came to a stand still. Once the cause of the Error has been tracked down I will update this Version and the other versions will be finished with the fix built in.

This is being looked into by a Trusted friend and Should be solved ZOON (Zoon as opposed to a Daz Soon).

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Heads up for all USERS of The Golden Rules. Due to an Error found in the Files for Mac users further development of this version and Versions for DS4.0 and DS3 users has temporarily came to a stand still. Once the cause of the Error has been tracked down I will update this Version and the other versions will be finished with the fix built in.

This is being looked into by a Trusted friend and Should be solved ZOON (Zoon as opposed to a Daz Soon).

Thank you for all the hard work you and your colleagues are putting into this. I am glad that you guys are supporting us MAC users!

Please feel free to PM me if you need any testing.

Thanks.

edited March 2013

Geminii23 said:
    Jaderail said:

Thank you for all the hard work you and your colleagues are putting into this. I am glad that you guys are supporting us MAC users!

Please feel free to PM me if you need any testing.

Thanks. As soon as we think the fix is ready (not yet) you will have the first test version. So far this same behaviour has not happened but a very Similar issue did, Different Overlays. Same thing really. So Something is happening. What? Not figured out yet.

Thank you for your support. Have you tried a FULL uninstall? Reboot and New Install? That seems to work for a time. But it also seems to be random until it stops working properly again.

EDIT: That info would really help. Feel free to PM me with your results if you try the new clean Install.

Post edited by Jaderail on