Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• Just checking in to see what you are up to.  I think everyone has been super busy this summer.  I know I have been.  I haven't gotten nearly as much stuff done that I was expecting to get done.  I have a long list of things I need to finish!

Of the three renders together of the girl and the wolves, I like that last one, too.  Much better definition of her face.

I like the post on your last image.  Very dynamic and it really brings out the eyes, too.

• Thanks!  It has been a super busy summer.  Looking forward to things settling down and having a bit more me time soon!

I've been trying to use some of the stuff I've watched on the tutorials on Shift Art.  One of these days I'm going to sit down and go through and do them to really understand how stuff works.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  It's now official... born yesterday... I've created Scene Lighting and Atmosphere - Come One & All which I'm sure that you might be interested in... I am hoping to improve both Scene Lighting and learning different ways of creating Atmoshphere to give my renders an added punch.  When you find a spare minute, LOL, check out the intro... feel free to read more of course. :)

• wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  It's now official... born yesterday... I've created Scene Lighting and Atmosphere - Come One & All which I'm sure that you might be interested in... I am hoping to improve both Scene Lighting and learning different ways of creating Atmoshphere to give my renders an added punch.  When you find a spare minute, LOL, check out the intro... feel free to read more of course. :)

Awesome I will most definitely do so!

• I'm wowed by your Storm Queen renders and post work too, excellent!

• Thank you so much!  Sorry, we were camping with no internet this weekend, so I just saw this.

• Your Storm Queen is awesome, loving that expression!   

• Thank you very much!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2017

Its a Little Magic....

This is SecondCircle's Karen again ( I really like her!) with Arki's new Corvus and Marshian's Rim Light Rig for Iray.  Will be doing a bit of postwork on this one, to bring her eyes and face out a bit more.

ITS A LITTLE MAGIC.png
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • That looks great - very dramatic. Was the rim lighting product easy to use?  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Vibrant.  Love it.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with postwork.

• That looks great - very dramatic. Was the rim lighting product easy to use?  

Yes. I have a couple questions for him, but I know he is very quick to answer and its nothing urgent.  Will be doing that tomorrow.  I love all of Martians stuff, its always very well done and not nearly as complicated as it may look lol.

Diomede said:

Vibrant.  Love it.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with postwork.

Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow

edited September 2017

Here is the post worked version.  I didn't really want to do a huge amount, i was pretty happy with the original.  Just wanted to bring her eyes out a bit more and put in a just a touch of special effects.

ITS A LITTLE MAGIC 2.png
    988 x 1600 - 714K
  • Oh, wow!  That turned out nice.  Good girl, Sonja!

• It turned out amazing Sonja!!!

edited September 2017

Thanks KM & Saphire!  Honestly, those tutorials on Shift Art have really made a difference I think.  Even though I haven't had a chance to sit down and DO one I have been watching them and at least a tiny bit of it has stuck.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Great image Sonja! Very eye catching

• Thank you very much! I have to say I am happy my self imposed no post work period is over lol.

• That looks great, and not over-post-worked.  Just the right amount.  Although, the original was really great so it didn't *need* a lot.  What you did added interest.  The only suggestion I have is to perhaps tone down the shine in her right eye.  It can be mistaken for the white of her eye, making her look a wee bit cross-eyed.  Course, that could just be my monitor.  Great job.

edited September 2017

Thanks @WorldsEdge!  I see what you mean, her hair kind of cuts through her pupils which kind of throws the perspective off a bit.

• Beautiful Sonja, the rim lighting is fantastic! Love the green, great job with the special effects too! 

BTW I made you a video on how to do shadows in post, the link's on my thread, I hope it's comprehensive, I have never made one before but I don't think I could have just told you how to do it and have it make sense. :D 

• Video was awesome thank you!  Very clear and easy to understand!

edited September 2017

Just a quick test of the Ultimate Make Up by Phil_W.  Wanted to see what they looked like on darker skin. This is a great make up set, lots of options!  I went with a more fantasy look just to really test it out.  I am still not happy that I can't see the make up on the character without using the Iray preview window.  This is certainly not the vendors fault, I'm sure this was suggested by Daz, but for those of us whose system struggle with a large amount of lag time when using the Iray preview window, its not an improvement.  This took me over 2 hours to set up because every time I made a slight change, I had to wait for it to repreview.  Fortunately for me, this is an issue mostly on the laptop, a lessor issue on the pc.  But two hours instead of 30 minutes isn't really something I want to do often.  While I won't exclude completely characters and add ons made using the diffuse layer, its going to have to be something pretty spectacular for me to put up with this kind of lag. Expecially since more characters is not something I HAVE to have or need. My wallet, at least, will be much happier. Fortunately, the make up set is worth the effort so that's good!

ULTIMATE MAKE UP TEST.png
    1236 x 1236 - 2M
  • Sonja: I only mention this because you've said that actual IRAY rendering isn't that bad on your computer... I found that when I went into the Draw Settings panel under the IRAY draw mode, the DRawing tab, and set the Response Threshold all the way to the max of 5k,manip resolution to 1/4 and set Inactive Viewport Delay to Off, my Iray previews sped way up. I dunno if this would help with makeup, since I mostly use Iray preview to check lighting and HDRI... but it makes rotating an HDRI much less painful.

• Sonja: I only mention this because you've said that actual IRAY rendering isn't that bad on your computer... I found that when I went into the Draw Settings panel under the IRAY draw mode, the DRawing tab, and set the Response Threshold all the way to the max of 5k,manip resolution to 1/4 and set Inactive Viewport Delay to Off, my Iray previews sped way up. I dunno if this would help with makeup, since I mostly use Iray preview to check lighting and HDRI... but it makes rotating an HDRI much less painful.

THANK YOU! I will give this a try as soon as I can.  That would be very cool if it helps!  Will check back and let you know lol.

• @Dreamfarmer it worked!  Wow, huge difference in the Aux Viewport (and I too, have to use it for HDRI' positioning etc as well, which also drove me crazy).  I changed the setting on my laptop (I brought it to work with me to let it finish rendering a scene I started last night) which is always quite slow compared to the PC so I can't wait to try this on the PC.  You totally made my day lol!

• +1 Thank you @Dreamfarmer - as soon as my render stops I'm trying this out! 

• @Dreamfarmer it worked!  Wow, huge difference in the Aux Viewport (and I too, have to use it for HDRI' positioning etc as well, which also drove me crazy).  I changed the setting on my laptop (I brought it to work with me to let it finish rendering a scene I started last night) which is always quite slow compared to the PC so I can't wait to try this on the PC.  You totally made my day lol!

Yay, I'm so glad it helped!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038

I find the Response Threshold set to the Minimum (8) works better as the redraw of the AUX Viewport is near instant.

• It's a matter of taste, I suppose. At 5000 (max), when you turn the camera, you get a constant fuzz of color that may be more soothing to one's soul than what I get at 8-- the screen runs into Pale Primitives mode until I finish turning... then redraws instantly. Me, personally, I associate the Pale Primitive mode with bad news. So I prefer the fuzz (also helpful when tracking down strong lighting conditions).

This discussion has been closed.