Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• Nice work on Montana! :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

This is Jeroyn by @DarwinsMishaps.  LOVE him he is gorgeous! Justa quick test render, will be fleshing this scene out a lot more and then doing a bit of post work on it as well I think.

Very nice- that DOF really works well and I love the warm overtones overall. Would love to know what he's thinking!

• Thanks!

@Novika, nothing good from the looks of it!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

This is Jeroyn by @DarwinsMishaps.  LOVE him he is gorgeous! Justa quick test render, will be fleshing this scene out a lot more and then doing a bit of post work on it as well I think.

Looks like this fella is waiting on the rest of his dinner.  Love the attitude!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Jeroyn and the bread of death... this is just iconic, you could make a meme out of it :D

• Lol ya I really need to add some more bits and bobs to that table at some point.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

@Dreamfarmer it worked!  Wow, huge difference in the Aux Viewport (and I too, have to use it for HDRI' positioning etc as well, which also drove me crazy).  I changed the setting on my laptop (I brought it to work with me to let it finish rendering a scene I started last night) which is always quite slow compared to the PC so I can't wait to try this on the PC.  You totally made my day lol!

I'm curious Sonja... how long does it now take on the pc?  Laptop time throws me back into 1990s rendering times of a simple scene, glass ball and other objects... with full raytracing on... 8-10 hrs, 640x400 image.  Same scene in Carrara 8.5 Pro is less than 15 secs at Good setting and larger image.  Of course the latter is only for test renders... later I'll crank up the final render to an even larger image and render at Best, not much diff from Good, also might throw in some other changes which take longer... complicated is normally about 25 mins... occasionally a bit longer for even more complicated.

Always keep in mind that eyes that look realistic or beliveable will sell the image... this is where the eyes of the onlooker, me in this case, are drawn to.  Keep up the great work.

@dreamfarmer ... thanks for the settings... it will make IRay a bit more bearable, I hope, when I get back to Studio.

@Fishtales  ... kewl, I'll mess around with dem settings also.

Well, I ended up posting it elsewhere, then resaving it from there.  No idea what the problem was, I had done nothing different than I usually do.  Anyway.  Here is Diva's Telly, hopefully coming soon.  Two skin tones, cool and warm, lots of options for make up, eyes and eyebrows including a no brow options.Nails and toe nail colors as well.

I'm having a hard time deciding on which is which... looks like the one on right, stage left, is the warmer one... could just be my monitor. frown

• @wgdjohn the one with the red lipstick and nails is the one with the warmer tones.  As far as render times, it wasn't the render times I was having issues with it was the iray preview working screen that causes the massive slowdown.  Those setting above improved things considerably, from up to 30 seconds or more for it to catch up from the lag to about 10 seconds, sometimes even just a couple of seconds lag.

However, the difference in rendering time between the lap top and the pc is significant, the laptop is 7 or 8 years old now.  The render speed on my pc is pretty good, and of course a lot of it depends on the scene.  Well lit, simple scenes usually take less than 10 minutes on the PC same scene on the laptop is at least half an hour to an hour.  A two hour render on the pc will be an all night render on the laptop.  Its rare for anything I do to put the PC over an hour for rendering although a lot of the time I will be done putting something together right before I need to go to bed so I will set it up to render with no limits and let it run until I get up the next morning, especially if its a darker scene or something I know is likely to take a bit longer.  Its easier to let it run overnight and not have to worry about any left over graininess.

Well, I ended up posting it elsewhere, then resaving it from there.  No idea what the problem was, I had done nothing different than I usually do.  Anyway.  Here is Diva's Telly, hopefully coming soon.  Two skin tones, cool and warm, lots of options for make up, eyes and eyebrows including a no brow options.Nails and toe nail colors as well.

Thank you so much for testing my character. Your render of her is lovely! Pretty devastated about her rejection just based on the renders I had sent them of her. I feel like if they had tested the character or saw all her options they wouldn't have rejected her, but she didn't even make it past the submitted renders I sent them. They don't even allow people to send the character first, they just rejected her based on a few images. Oh well ... a month of work down the drain ..no ...big ..deal *rocks and cries in the corner*. Heh Kidding - kind of. 

I'm probably not going to be around much for a while. I'm pretty destroyed emotionally. All that time and work ...for nothing. 

Thank you for your time and effort in testing my character. I really appreciate it.  

Don't think for one minute that all the time and work was for naught... cheer up!... character is very good.  Likely they are as picky/critial as I am... most critical of my own modeling and rendering.  Not having seen the renders you sent them I can't pick them apart and make suggestions.  I believe I've bookmarked some great advice from seasoned PAs for making submitted renders even better, do's and don'ts.  I'll go see if I can find it... will let you know if I do.  Hang in there!... you are much nearer than I.

Thanks Sonja...  my pc is 8 years old and has always been slow from day 1... I'd bought it for someone else but been using it since NT, older, machine quit working.

• I was actually very lucky, when I bought this PC a couple years ago, I was looking for a PC that could handle the games I played, I bought the PC in May and found Daz that September and I just happened to buy a PC that had the right kind of video card etc.  I  can't justify a new laptop though, as the one I have works, and it is mostly for when I take it on vacation, camping or to work.  The PC is definitely my main render machine lol.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2017

Tamesh - Randomizer character for G8F - I used the Mutations for Genesis 3 Females for the scaling and metallic hue as well as the eyes. 

The Legend armour & sword by Aeon Soul - the detail on this is just fantastic

Pine Beach HDRI

Can I just reiterate how much I love Sim Tenero's Randomize?  I may build a second skin for her in the G3F Skinbuilder since the skin will work on her.

And yes, I know her feet aren't right, this was just a quick test to see how she looked.  I'm keeping this one, I like her.  I will do a standing pose tomorrow, she is much bulkier than she looks, definitely some orc in there.

Click for a full size to see the details of the scales.

TAMESH G8F.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • She's fantastic, I like how her skin reflects back the blueish green tones

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

That skin is really cool. It would be great on turtle shells, shells, etc :)

• Thank you very much!

edited September 2017

I put a slightly lighter skin under the shell this time.  I think I like it better with the darker skin.  Will switch it back out tomorrow.  And I don't feel like her head jewelry goes with the rest of her so I will be changing that out as well.  But overall, I like her and I am going to have to come up with a short story and fit her into my world building project as well. I particularly like how her face and lips kind of go along with the whole snake theme, with the scales and the color I think it really fits.  And I am going to have to fix that really bright light at the back of her head.  No matter which way I move that light it still gives that super bright outline. Might just have to turn it off.  And I used a background in the environment tab for this, that is not an actual scene.  I was fortunate enough to find a ground shader that matched pretty well.

TAMESH.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M

I like the darker skin too.

My main concern would be "why no scales on arms and elsewhere... only in certain areas".  Head jewelry should be either actual gold colour or perhaps an actual silver... both reflective of course.  Currently head jewelry is too brownish... I'll start with yellow and add a tiny bit of green...  I've created a few gold looks that has a great easy gold (yellow/green), color wheel, combo for realistic gold. Basic Gold in Hex is (#ffcc40) and RGB is (255,207,64)... but I'll bump up the green just a bit, suggested by a Commercial Artist buddy of mine,... note that when adding relectivity the value will need to be lowered... just depends on what you want it to look like.  I like to create my own but also have Real Metals by Holyforest  for Carrara... there is a wide selection of gold and other metals... very complicated but good for use and reference.

• Thanks LIana!  I am going to change her back lol.

@wgdjohn She is a half breed so she has some traits that show the more reptilian heritage and some that show the more human heritage.  I'm still working on her but I didn't want her skin to be completely reptillian.  As far as the head piece goes I agree its definitely not quite right. And, I think its much to delicate for her.  She needs something a bit more substantial and not quite as girly.  I will add that advice about the color to my notes thank you!

You're welcome. The lighter skin might have been alright if it were I don't know some color to it like the darker brown one?? Maybe a greenissh, blue, or light brown flavor to me she seemed a bit pale. I think would be fun to experiment a bit. Just ideas. :)

The jewelery would be ok if she was of a more royal, formal, less warrior type scene. If she is out there I don't know fighting bad peeps then a heavy one kind of like wonder woman's would fit better. Still really cool though. :)

I do scenes and keep changing them sometimes until I think i got what I want in my brain. Sometimes I have no idea. It's like my horse scene I am still experimenting on it. I think I might change up the grass a bit looks like they are in a drought not fall. lol

• I frequently start with one idea in my head and by the time I am done fiddling, its turned into something completely different lol.

I can relate to that. I have to remember to not put too much in or my pc starts to bog down with too much stuff. lol

• Ya I have to be careful on my laptop as well or I end up having to restart because its just too much for the poor thing lol.

edited September 2017

I finally went ahead and published my website.  If anyone wants to take a look and let me know what you think that would be awesome.  Just click on My Website in my signature. Keep in mind its still very much a work in progress.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Congratulations on publishing your website.  Big step.  I look forward to following your book covers and other endeavors.  Great start.  

• Diomede said:

Congratulations on publishing your website.  Big step.  I look forward to following your book covers and other endeavors.  Great start.  

Thank you very much!

Cool beginning on the website.  But you cheated... looks like you didn't write the code whereas I do since I like to have more control and be able to edit it to my own liking. :) 

I would make "Ice Dragon Art" a unique and kewl 3D or 2D graphic... same with other subtitles under the menu.  You might also wish to concentrate on *only* one at first on a kewl Model and or Terrain to include in your portfolio.

Looking good so far though.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

The design looks fine....................but :-

The Copyright year is 2023, a small thing but needs changing :)

Either stop the Auto slide show or slow it down. ( I have a thing about things that automatically start when I open a web page like scrolling images; videos; sounds or music. When I first started learning to code my web page that was one of the things that was highlighted as being a big NO! NO!. Leave it up to the visitor whether they want these things and give them a way of starting them if they want to ). The images aren't centred in the middle of my screen ( Laptop 1366x768 ) and they are too big so when I move the mouse to scroll down to view or read the story it moves to the next image. Leaving the mouse pointer over the image and scrolling with the arrow keys only sometimes works. I think that depends on which area of the image it is left on. If I hadn't been checking your site and just came upon it I wouldn't have stayed :) You want to engage with your visitors, not chase them away.

• Thanks!  I appreciate the advice.

@wgdjohn, I wouldn't even know where to begin in coding my own website and honestly, its not something I really want to tackle at the moment.  I'm going to have to stick with the premade ones for now.lol

@fishtales, I was fiddling with that slide show for quite some time, and finally had to just stop since its was way past my bedtime.  I had it set for 3 seconds and that seemed to fast, then I had it set for 5 and that seemed to slow lol.  There should be a way for it to not scroll automatically, I will have to check. Its weird that its not centered on your screen as there are guide layouts so that I can line things up either middle or both sides. Not sure how to fix it for it to work for everyone, it looks right on my screen. I didn't even know you could leave the mouse pointer over the image and scroll with the arrow keys, I suspect that has to with the website coding but I will look and see if there is a way to check it.   I didn't even see the copyright, I am guessing it an automatic place holder, I will see if its changeable, I would think it should be.

Again, thanks very much, I have no idea what I am doing with this so I really appreciate your taking the time to have a look and let me know what's not quite working.

This discussion has been closed.