Luxus discussion

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2013

this may have been mentioned in the 22 pages of this thread but as you begin to get comfortable and more creative with you new found power keep in mind LuxRender is a very memory intensive engine and can swallow up 8 or 12 or 16GB RAM in no time even when it's running all by itself, especially when you start adding more figures and geometries. You can generally see this when your render have been running for a long time with little going on in calculations.

heres a tip for some of you new LuxRender converts if you start running into this problem.
    Luxconsole can be started by typing "luxconsole" or "./luxconsole" in a terminal window* and it will generally use less RAM than launching the GUI. I've used this method when "all else fails" and it has worked on many occasions.

luxconsole filename.lxs

*Windows users go to the Start Menu and type "cmd" without the quotes to bring up a command prompt
    Mac users go to Macintosh HD:Applications:Utilities:Terminal or go to the magnifying glass and type Terminal to bring up the terminal.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2013

*Windows users go to the Start Menu and type "cmd" without the quotes to bring up a command prompt
    Mac users go to Macintosh HD:Applications:Utilities:Terminal or go to the magnifying glass and type Terminal to bring up the terminal.

Linux users...you should already know how to do this... :lol:

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited December 1969

I bought and installed Luxus manually, but it didn't work. I'm running DAZ Studio Pro Edition - Version 4.5.0.90 (64 bit), on Windows 7.

Maybe win32 win64 mixup? I would try downloading the installer again.

The version is the right one, but I redownloaded and reinstalled anyway, and still the same problem occurs. I'll try installing in another machine later!
    I see, you have installed Daz Studio in "Program Files". I never install Daz or the other graphic programs in such location
    on Windows 7. It is better to create a special directory for such programs, like "C:\Programs\" and install them there.
    Standard file locations like those in "Program Files" works best for Microsoft's programs.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Like I've said about Linux, if you are using an OS that will allow you to low level format an IDE drive WHILE ITS RUNNING YOUR OS you better know where your terminal is.

• MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited March 2013

dkmarcos said:
    I try to apply sky2 but the luxrender log tells me:

[2013-03-13 19:52:34 Error: 14] Static loading of light 'sky2' failed.
    [2013-03-13 19:52:34 Error: 47] luxLightSource: light type 'sky2' unknown

What version of LuxRender do you have installed?

1.0 RC3

Updated to 1.2 - SOLVED!

Post edited by MarcosDK on
    edited March 2013

dkmarcos said:
    dkmarcos said:
    I try to apply sky2 but the luxrender log tells me:

[2013-03-13 19:52:34 Error: 14] Static loading of light 'sky2' failed.
    [2013-03-13 19:52:34 Error: 47] luxLightSource: light type 'sky2' unknown

What version of LuxRender do you have installed?

1.0 RC3

Updated to 1.2 - SOLVED!

Sky2 is pretty new...that's why you were getting the error. And 1.0 RC3 is pretty old...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Well. With Sky2 (and some lights more) and Luxrender updated to 1.2. It takes more time but the result is good :)

wip02.jpg
    1169 x 868 - 227K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

With this reflective floor, area lights and skin, I fully expected the conversion to cause a render that was riddled with fireflies. Didn't happen :) only changes were the cornea and tears to glass and bringing the spec down on the shoes and wall. Floor converted to mirror material. I also sharpened in post.

I'm really liking the tool by the way.

Isamu01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 330K
  • JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Always wanted to use LuxRender. This is my first try using Luxus, ok first try that actually worked. I am going to enjoy using this tool a lot. Thanks so much. Oh I only let it run for about 30 minutes.

test_image.jpg
    428 x 517 - 100K
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited March 2013

With this reflective floor, area lights and skin, I fully expected the conversion to cause a render that was riddled with fireflies. Didn't happen :) only changes were the cornea and tears to glass and bringing the spec down on the shoes and wall. Floor converted to mirror material. I also sharpened in post.

I'm really liking the tool by the way.

Thank you for your kind words.

I am always open for suggested improvements. Post them or PM them.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited March 2013

Just tried rendering a previously saved scene via Luxus and so far it looks pretty good (it's still cooking) even though I just sent to Lux "as is" without changing anything except replacing the 3Delight lighting with the Luxus Sun2 and Area Light preset.

I hadn't used Luxrender in a while and I'd forgotten how much fun playing about with the lights and other settings while the render is ongoing is :)

Post edited by willowfan on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited March 2013

Another render made with Luxus. One spot light. 1530 samples/pixel. Rendering time: 2hours 30minutes. No postwork.

V5Nichole03pic01at1_53kSp2h30m.jpg
    618 x 800 - 224K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited March 2013

Bea said:
    Bea said:
    Jabba101 said:
    Bea said:
    Bea said:
    Is anyone else having problems with hair transmaps? They just don't seem to be showing up in the render at all which means that the hair in this case the skull cap is showing completely

Some skull caps that are using UberSurface get converted by Luxus to a subsurface scattering volume and then the opacity does not work with it. If this is the case, turn off Specular2 Active

The specular 2 is off on all the hair I don't use that on hair and hair shaders we create. the trnamspas just don't deem to be working

Try copying your transmap to LuxRender Opacity in your Luxrender sub-tab, as it's the info in the sub-tab that is used in Luxrender.

where do I find that?
    Do I have to change the hair to a lux material? Is what settings should I use?

I think I found it and I am trying it now :) but not sure I got the settings right

I am still not able to get the hair transmaps to work :(

I do like the way you can set it rendering and it just plods on without slowing down the computer too much, but the transmaps is really bugging me :( :(

Tell me(or pm) which hair it is and I will see what I can figure out.

the hair I am using is the dragonbraid from Runtimedna

http://www.runtimedna.com/The-DragonBraid-bundle.html

this is what I am getting and also an image of what I get if I render it in DAZ Studio

no_luxus.jpg
    284 x 292 - 109K
    transmap._.jpg
    284 x 292 - 118K
    Post edited by Bea on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Opus Magnum with one Luxus Area Light added. I set the glass materials to "Glass" and the hourglass to "Glass2"--not sure why the "glass2" is "invisible", though. How can I tell where the light is pointing when I add it to the scene, and can I adjust it's intensity like any other DS light?

opus2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 998K
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Opus Magnum with one Luxus Area Light added. I set the glass materials to "Glass" and the hourglass to "Glass2"--not sure why the "glass2" is "invisible", though. How can I tell where the light is pointing when I add it to the scene, and can I adjust it's intensity like any other DS light?

Switch the tonemapping kernel to linear. You can adjust the intesity of the area light in the surfaces pane.

If you use the LuxRender GUI you can adjust those things while it renders.

edited March 2013

Salem2007 said:

Glass2 needs volume attached and the type set to clear and its refraction set to 1.5 or 1.6 depending on the glass you want. do 1.3 for water, 2.4 for diamonds.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

That's a really gorgeous render Salem. Hope your tweak works for ya. WOW..... I wanna work in that room!

edited March 2013

Yes, it's a great set--a lot of fun to render...and I wish it were real!

Thanks for the setting suggestions--I'm off to try again!

Post edited by Salem2007 on
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:

Glass2 needs volume attached and the type set to clear and its refraction set to 1.5 or 1.6 depending on the glass you want. do 1.3 for water, 2.4 for diamonds.

Here's a great link for doing any transparent refractive material...glass, gems...

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/ior.html

• ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the support, everyone ! I'm learning a lot today :-)
    The speckling is uniform all over the render.
    Renderer is set to sampler, and sampler is set to Metropolis.
    Most materials are standard DS, a few have been set to Lux cloth, glass or mirror.
    The surfaces of the center light bulb and the cabinet light i set to glass and Light Parameters checked on.

Running the render again, with the disabled skysun deleted, and surface light settings turned higher...

One thing to keep in mind is that LuxRender isn't like DS. Light in Lux bounces off everything in the scene--even items that are off-camera. The more items there are to bounce off of, the longer it will take for the render to clear up. I see a lot of items in that scene that aren't visible in the view you showed of your render. If you remove anything that's not meant to be viewed in the render, then it should speed up a little. Also, the more reflective surfaces you have, the longer it will take to render. In a bathroom, you have mirrors, towel bars, shower bars, fixtures as well as tile and porcelain. All of those shiny surfaces will take a toll. (I once had a render of strawberries in a glass bowl next to two glasses of champagne on a frosted glass table. It to WEEKS to render, and I still had to clean it up in postwork.) So lowering the specular settings on some items (or even setting them to matte) will help as well. Finally, since your scene is open up top, you can light the interior a little easier by adding a simple, interior-scene or monochrome IBL to the scene, such as these: http://www.mrbluesummers.com/category/downloads

edited March 2013

Ok--I turned down the intensity one one area light and set the other light to a light blue tint. I still can't aim the lights well and I haven't figured out how to pause the render and make adjustments---I just let this cook for afew hours while I went to the store...oh, and I set the mirror to the Lux "mirrir" setting and hoped for the best....

opus3.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 991K
    Post edited by Salem2007 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Love the glass effects. That crystal ball looks AWESOME!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

What should I do to add some nice reflection to eyes? and to make lips glossy?

edited December 1969

Glass is a reflective/refractive transparent material...it works well for the cornea/eye surface (on older generation figures).

Glossy/glossy translucent for the lips...

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited March 2013

3dtoday said:
    cwichura said:
    3dtoday said:
    I am bad at lighting!

The thing to remember is that light in LuxRender behaves like light in the real world does. Go buy a book on studio lighting for photographers (or Google around for tutorials on the web) to get a better idea of how you should be setting up lights for LuxRender. As a general rule of thumb, though, less is more. Studio (& Poser) pre-loads that have tons of lights are NOT what you want for LuxRender. The first thing to do when you load a pre-made Studio scene is delete ALL the lights and start from scratch with lighting for photography in mind.

thanks, but nah, I know how to light for photography. But moving lights in the viewport is much harder for me.

I will pay for someone to do the hard work. this is what I want!

LUXUS RIGS!

40 Pre constructed Lighting Rigs!

closeups, modeling poses, beauty lights, kitchen / bedroom lighting.
    spookY lighting, very scary creepy lights, lighting tunnels. lighting big scenes, street lights, lighting outdoor,
    lighting tv news, lighting a diner, lighting two people talking { eating, or standing}, club and disco lighting,
    romantic lighting { living room couch, outdoor patio, moonlight}

Fully adjustable! Easily tweak for your particular scene.

Available today

only $ 6.95!

Yes it would be nice to have something like that!

Tried using the Reality lights for Luxus and vice versa, some are not see at all for the opposite plugin and the ones that do work have different behaviors.
    Reality water prop does not work at all which I like alot.
    I'm sure Luxus will grow into it's own, already a good start.

Also reading about the updates/fixes coming, how do you know if it has been updated? ( I at lest like the DIM for that feature, but this does not show up in it).

Post edited by FusionLA on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

i used glossy translucent on the lips and they turned a shiny gray. :(

edited December 1969

i used glossy translucent on the lips and they turned a shiny gray. :(

Did you checkbox the "Copy Studio Parameters"?

Or you could manually set a color.

edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    3dtoday said:
    cwichura said:
    3dtoday said:
    I am bad at lighting!

The thing to remember is that light in LuxRender behaves like light in the real world does. Go buy a book on studio lighting for photographers (or Google around for tutorials on the web) to get a better idea of how you should be setting up lights for LuxRender. As a general rule of thumb, though, less is more. Studio (& Poser) pre-loads that have tons of lights are NOT what you want for LuxRender. The first thing to do when you load a pre-made Studio scene is delete ALL the lights and start from scratch with lighting for photography in mind.

thanks, but nah, I know how to light for photography. But moving lights in the viewport is much harder for me.

I will pay for someone to do the hard work. this is what I want!

LUXUS RIGS!

40 Pre constructed Lighting Rigs!

closeups, modeling poses, beauty lights, kitchen / bedroom lighting.
    spookY lighting, very scary creepy lights, lighting tunnels. lighting big scenes, street lights, lighting outdoor,
    lighting tv news, lighting a diner, lighting two people talking { eating, or standing}, club and disco lighting,
    romantic lighting { living room couch, outdoor patio, moonlight}

Fully adjustable! Easily tweak for your particular scene.

Available today

only $ 6.95!

Yes it would be nice to have something like that!

Tried using the Reality lights for Luxus and vice versa, some are not see at all for the opposite plugin and the ones that do work have different behaviors.
    Reality water prop does not work at all which I like alot.
    I'm sure Luxus will grow into it's own, already a good start.

Also reading about the updates/fixes coming, how do you know if it has been updated? ( I at lest like the DIM for that feature, but this does not show up in it).

Been working on water. Not quite there yet, but getting closer.

boat1.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 198K
    boat0.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 106K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Like I've said about Linux, if you are using an OS that will allow you to low level format an IDE drive WHILE ITS RUNNING YOUR OS you better know where your terminal is.

The windows command line used to let someone do that: c:\format c: /u ... where /u = unconditional, ie do it anyways ;p

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I bought and installed Luxus manually, but it didn't work. I'm running DAZ Studio Pro Edition - Version 4.5.0.90 (64 bit), on Windows 7.

Maybe win32 win64 mixup? I would try downloading the installer again.

The version is the right one, but I redownloaded and reinstalled anyway, and still the same problem occurs. I'll try installing in another machine later!

It should work with any Studio 4.5, but maybe try Studio 4.5.1.6

Alright. It worked on Studio 4.5.1.6. Thanks!

Excuse me - where did you get 4.5.0.90??? The newest version is 4.5.1.56 ...

This discussion has been closed.