Luxus discussion

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Also, if anyone is having problems with arealights and are using a plane as the 'base'...you may need to flip its direction. It will emit light in the 'normals' out direction...which is the side facing up when it is added to the scene.

Is there a way to use something other than a plane as the base?

You can use any primative or surface as a light source.

Keep in mind, you want to keep the polygons down when sending to luxrender, so the plane is pretty good for lighting a scene. The more polys you send, the longer the render takes and more memory used. You can tell where the normals are facing by either using the universal or selection tool... the green (i think the z-axis) will point in the director of where the light will go on a plane.

Ok--I took the surfaces for all the candle flames in Opus Magnus and made them light sources. They are mighty bright, so that may not be a good idea, but I like the effect. The flames were the only light source I used--adding an area light would probably help the glowing walls and such...I let this go for about 2 hours:

If each flame is an individual light source, then you'll be able to adjust them one at a time...

• SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited March 2013

mjc1016 said:
    Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Also, if anyone is having problems with arealights and are using a plane as the 'base'...you may need to flip its direction. It will emit light in the 'normals' out direction...which is the side facing up when it is added to the scene.

Is there a way to use something other than a plane as the base?

You can use any primative or surface as a light source.

Keep in mind, you want to keep the polygons down when sending to luxrender, so the plane is pretty good for lighting a scene. The more polys you send, the longer the render takes and more memory used. You can tell where the normals are facing by either using the universal or selection tool... the green (i think the z-axis) will point in the director of where the light will go on a plane.

Ok--I took the surfaces for all the candle flames in Opus Magnus and made them light sources. They are mighty bright, so that may not be a good idea, but I like the effect. The flames were the only light source I used--adding an area light would probably help the glowing walls and such...I let this go for about 2 hours:

If each flame is an individual light source, then you'll be able to adjust them one at a time...

IMHO, the candles are set too bright, and are washing out the image, so doing as suggested above would probably help out a lot.

Adjusting the color of the flames can add extra atmosphere too, maybe redder on the dimmer candles, and oranger or yellower on the brighter ones.

Post edited by Silverhurst on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

IMHO, the candles are set too bright, and are washing out the image, so doing as suggested above would probably help out a lot.

Adjusting the color of the flames can add extra atmosphere too, maybe redder on the dimmer candles, and oranger or yellower on the brighter ones.

I agree--they are too bright. Do you know which setting controls "brightness"? I haven't found that one, yet.....

I did use 3 colors for the flames (one yellow, one orange, and one white) to see the differance. I think if I can tone down the brightness it may look better....

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:

I agree--they are too bright. Do you know which setting controls "brightness"? I haven't found that one, yet.....

I did use 3 colors for the flames (one yellow, one orange, and one white) to see the differance. I think if I can tone down the brightness it may look better....
    You man want to switch to using the GUI, switch the tonemapping to linear, and then adjust the lights in the light groups pane.

edited December 1969

The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

The following fixes made it into this release.
    * tiling is fixed. Just use the tiling in the studio parameters.
    * one light group per material. For when a single object has 2 light emitting materials.
    * default sampler is now metropolis
    * write flm option added and defaults to on
    * premultiply alpha added for alpha backgrounds and defaults to off.
    * gonomtric (IES) file, save file dialog as changed to open fiele dialog
    * SurfaceIntegrator “sppm” otion added
    * mitchell filter B and C are now written out

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Could I ask a very, very dumb questoion?

I have Luxus installed and I have Lux Renderer installed for 64bit Win. But I can't find where change the renderer to Lux in DS.:red:

edited December 1969

Baglet said:

I have Luxus installed and I have Lux Renderer installed for 64bit Win. But I can't find where change the renderer to Lux in DS.:red:

Render Settings pane. Advanced Mode. Render Engine.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Baglet said:

Render Settings pane. Advanced Mode. Render Engine.

Thanks.

Life is messing my brain up.

• edited December 1969

Hi,

I just bought Luxus, an I love the plugin. I’m trying now to render a sequence of images. I can select “images series”, I have played with “halt at time”, but all I get is grey images. In history, I get “failed to load image” on each frame.

Any idea how to manage that?

thank you!

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

The update to Luxus, version 1.0.0.3 is available for download in your accounts.

* one light group per material. For when a single object has 2 light emitting materials.

I would like to say that it has been good to have the actually developer (among all the other here) being helpful and friendly to assist and answer questions.
    Being a new user, it gets frustrating trying to focus and learn to create with DAZ Studio and not know if it is something you are doing wrong or have not learned yet or an actual issue with the content.
    * That last sentence just made me remember to start a new tread on bug reporting:)
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I don’t know if this is of any help, but I did a (very) simple chart showing some basics of lighting in LuxRender with some examples.

LUXUS_2.jpg
    742 x 2000 - 560K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    I don’t know if this is of any help, but I did a (very) simple chart showing some basics of lighting in LuxRender with some examples.

Nice chart, HB...

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

Yes nice illustration.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

I just wish there was somewhere to have more than one thread so things could be split off into different subjects but still kept together

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Thank you HB from me as well.

I think illustrations stick in the mind a lot better, it definitely works for me at least. I will keep this handy for a while just in case.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

BTW, I’m wondering if the way it’s done can make it look a bit silly or patronizing. But this was part of a university project where we had to present some kind of information we relate to as visually as we could.

PD: I really, really recommend using big mesh lights, for me they give the best results. And forget about your DAZ Studio lighting workflow because it just won't translate well.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Another render.

This time was more of a kick tires exercise, because this is actually a converted Reality scene.... but the previous version was so full of fireflies it was unusable. Once again, no changes to the skin or textures except for corneas and tears to glass. Also I was able to use the HDR from "Skies of reality" and plug it into an infinite light. A mesh light was added at low power to show the figures.

I'm much more pleased with this result, as the remaining fireflies are part of the background so it's easier to clean up in post. I think the conversion took about 10 minutes, just to remove reality specific items and convert mesh lights over to area lights... and also find the HDR to plug in.

This kind of speaks volumes to what can be done in this first version of the software as well as how well the conversion of the materials are.

(no postwork, except for slapping my name on it)

NightFall.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 322K
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I just bought Luxus, an I love the plugin. I’m trying now to render a sequence of images. I can select “images series”, I have played with “halt at time”, but all I get is grey images. In history, I get “failed to load image” on each frame.

Any idea how to manage that?

thank you!

I will look into this.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

First render via Luxus. Just took a previously saved scene and sent to LuxRender via Luxus "as is" with no surface tweaking. Replaced the Studio lighting with one of the LuxRender presets provided with Luxus.

Some sharpening and minor contrast tweaking done in postwork.

Turned out very well considering I did no tweaking whatsoever before rendering.

ArkhamGenLux.jpg
    764 x 1080 - 165K
    edited December 1969

How do you keep the plan used for one of the area render lights from showing up in the render? Everything I do that makes the light not visible in the render also makes it not used in the render.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Make sure its out of camera range?

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Well, that's is one way! :lol:

I was hoping there was a way to ignore it in the render since I may need a light in front of the camera at somepoint.....

edited March 2013

Nahh if they are in the field of vision they will show up (ugly looking little buggers) no different in Reality...

That is one thing I adore over 3Delight is how effective lights can be in lux and you dont need many

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Bobvan said:

Well, that's is one way! :lol:

I was hoping there was a way to ignore it in the render since I may need a light in front of the camera at somepoint.....

In the real world, light has a source. And since Luxxrender simulates real world lighting.... The tradeff is you normally only need a couple lights, and lighting skills learned here will usally apply to photography. Another plus is e.g. if you wanted to give Octane a try (another unbiased render out there, thought it is not free), the lighting techniques you learn here will mostly translate over. So the learning curve is reduced.

edited December 1969

Realism has it's price, I suppose. Well, if I have to keep the lights out of camera view, that's what I'll do. Is there a way to rig a 2 or 3 point light setup and tie it to the camera, so as I move the camera the light also moves? Kind of like taping a flashlight to your rifle, so to speak....

edited March 2013

Funny you should ask Callad of Reality fame has released some mesh lights for free on share that are paired to cameras should work in Luxus

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

I still don't have an answer, is there a way to make a background image appear in Luxus renders? its a royal PITA to postwork the background in, and it isn't always an option.

edited March 2013

Whats does removing the mitchell filter thingy do?

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Just parent the light to the camera. Or more scene oriented: parent your lights and cameras to a null object.

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

[...]

Whats does removing the mitchell thingy do?

I thought he meant they are now written out to the file?

This discussion has been closed.