Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• Singular- Sorry if my report was shallow. I'm not very savvy at what code does at all. I was attempting to convert a custom character I made in G3. Perhaps I did something wrong. I chose the character and the full body morph for that character.....not sure if I did it right.

On another note, I am having issues because I'm using the Public Beta alongside my older 4.8 version where I have file access issues between them. I'm gonna leave the beta and go full 4.9 and see if things improve. Would having 2 copies of daz via public beta have an affect this script in any way?

I don't think two copies of the program would have an issue, unless they were both running at the same time. Possibly only  ofthey were both running the script at the same time. Not sure, but one should not directly impact the other.

The custom character could be a problem. It depends on where the files are, and what other folders are around them.

For simplicity, the script assumes properly saved files, but before 4.9 it was easy to improperly save a file. So instead of being in product folder, the files would be in a vendor folder. The script will try to copy everything in the folder it finds the files in. So, say you have a ton of custom stuff, and you saved all of it as Vendor = your user neame, and did not specify a product. When you try to transfer one morph, the script will try to transfer ALL THE THINGS because they are all in the same folder.

Because some vendors have things like "[Vendor]/[Product]/Supporting morphs" or "[Vendor]/[Product]/Icons" the Script will try to transfer everything in any subfolders, as well. So if you have a bunch of stuff saved correctly, and one thing saved incorrectly, and try to transfer that one thing, the script will try, again, to copy all the things.

Copying all the things is not, itself, harmful, but it could cause the system to really lock up. The more items Daz has to interate over, the more likely it is to slow to a crawl. From my script that I used to make the conversion map, this seems to become an issue around 2000 items (bt each of those items was iterating over another 17, 000 so ...). But given the nature of the script, it could kick in sooner. I don't think it will. The script does 24,000 ops, but each op is in one of 10 or so do loops, , so it shoudn't be generating more than 20 variables at any given moment. So the big issue would be, I think, the size of the array where the files names are kept getting too big.

Trouble shooting your issue, you need to locate the file for your custom morph and see how many files are in the same folder, and how many are in subfolders in that folder, as a first step.

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited August 2017

@mork

Question: Since I don't have Connect content, can you tell me if the Genesis 3 folder lives in the /cloud folder?

Nvm. Found the answer is yes.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Updated beta script. See link in my sig to get the latest.

Fixed Connect, added multi library support, and a progress bar.

edited August 2017
    Redz said:

When the Genesis 8 Male eventually shows up, will the script be usable/adaptable to transfer morphs between the males too?

Oh, hell. I completely missed this question.

I sort of answered it elsewhere, but fundamentally, yes. It can be adapted, and I hope to do so.

The downside is, assuming different vertex orders, there's a lot of grunt work. But assuming they keep the same level of backend similarity G3F and G3M share, then this script is 80% or so of what you need to make G8M script.

It's just the remaining 20% or so is gonna be tedious. Of course, if the vertex order is not different (it seems this was the case with G2, but I've never confirmed) then the script would only need minor edits to work.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Redz said:

When the Genesis 8 Male eventually shows up, will the script be usable/adaptable to transfer morphs between the males too?

I sort of answered it elsewhere, but fundamentally, yes. It can be adapted, and I hope to do so.

The downside is, assuming different vertex orders, there's a lot of grunt work. But assuming they keep the same level of backend similarity G3F and G3M share, then this script is 80% or so of what you need to make G8M script.

It's just the remaining 20% or so is gonna be tedious. Of course, if the vertex order is not different (it seems this was the case with G2, but I've never confirmed) then the script would only need minor edits to work.

No problem. I saw your previous post about it.

Once I excluded my other libraries from my content manager, the morph transfers worked flawlessly. I really hope you can refine and package this as a product for both the males and females so you can recoup your efforts. 

• Redz said:

Redz said:

Once I excluded my other libraries from my content manager, the morph transfers worked flawlessly. I really hope you can refine and package this as a product for both the males and females so you can recoup your efforts. 

Well, I have multi Library support, now, and hopefull the issue with Connect is resolved.

I don't I'd ever sell it. It cribs too mch from mork's efforts. All I really did was count vertexes and make translation scheme. mork's effort with expressions is what really makes it complete, since it can handle any thing in any package. 

It just seems like a nice tool to have, espically if I can reverse the process.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    Redz said:

Redz said:

Well, I have multi Library support, now, and hopefull the issue with Connect is resolved.

I don't I'd ever sell it. It cribs too mch from mork's efforts. All I really did was count vertexes and make translation scheme. mork's effort with expressions is what really makes it complete, since it can handle any thing in any package. 

No reason you and Mork couldn't sell it together. :) It may be the closest thing to GenX we'll get and as I said before, the jcm transfers make this truly ingenious. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited August 2017

2017-08-11 23:05:48.914 DEBUG: Processed 0 files.
    2017-08-11 23:05:49.088 DEBUG: Processed 1 files.
    2017-08-11 23:05:49.298 DEBUG: Processed 16 files.

... and repeats

2017-08-11 23:26:44.245 DEBUG: Processed 0 files.
    2017-08-11 23:26:44.437 DEBUG: Processed 1 files.
    2017-08-11 23:26:44.629 DEBUG: Processed 16 files.

As you can see, it doesn't stop; studio was still running the file when I opened the log file, no other useful info (or any type either) was there.

I have multiple libraries so is the first script that has run for me.

I had to kill the task in Task Manager.

Post edited by nicstt on
    edited August 2017

What were you trying to transfer?

Remember, these failure modes haven't happened in any of my tests, so I can't troubleshoot if I don't know what you were targeting.

What was the progress bar displaying? Was the progress bar displaying? What version of Studio are you running?

I've never seen and infinite loop condition. The only obvious thing that should possibly happen is a morph that does own itself AND has a valid Uri. This would cause the morphs to be processed twice, but it should then terminate.  On further consideration, these loops are exclusive, it shouldn't be possible to invoke both of them.

So there's a non-obvious method to create a loop. I need all the clay if I'm to make bricks out of this.

What I can see from this.

Library[0] is your base library. There are no files to process there.
    Library[1] has one matching file.
    Library[2], which should be Daz Connect unless you have a version of studio that doesn't support connect, or have totally suppressed all elements of connect in you system has 16 files. 

That's all I know. Other than that 1 file must be small, or non-dsf because it processes in 200 milliseconds.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I just downloaded the script and was getting ready to use it but I am stuck at step 2

How to Use

1. Load Genesis 3 Female. Make sure it is selected.
    2. Find one (1 and only 1) Morph from the set you wish to transfer and mark it as favorite. (if you mark more, the script will only work with first one it finds, which may not be the one you want).
    3. Run the script
    4. Studio will lock up, and you will get the wait manipulator. It's thinking. Remember, 9 seconds per morph file. Ish
    5. Studio will become responsive. This means it's finished. It may have errored out, but it's finished.
    6. Load Genesis 8 Female. Find your morphs
    7. Report any misbehavior to this thread.
    8. Enjoy

what do you mean by find a morph and mark it as a favorite?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I just downloaded the script and was getting ready to use it but I am stuck at step 2

How to Use

1. Load Genesis 3 Female. Make sure it is selected.
    2. Find one (1 and only 1) Morph from the set you wish to transfer and mark it as favorite. (if you mark more, the script will only work with first one it finds, which may not be the one you want).
    3. Run the script
    4. Studio will lock up, and you will get the wait manipulator. It's thinking. Remember, 9 seconds per morph file. Ish
    5. Studio will become responsive. This means it's finished. It may have errored out, but it's finished.
    6. Load Genesis 8 Female. Find your morphs
    7. Report any misbehavior to this thread.
    8. Enjoy

what do you mean by find a morph and mark it as a favorite?

You go to the 'Shaping Tab' and in the list of morphs you will see a bunch of heart outlines - a heart outline for each morph. If you click on a heart outline so that it is filled in heart and not a heart outline anymore it is then a 'favorite'

So then one click on one heart outline - do the morph transfer - click on that now solid heart again after the morph transfer is done to unfavorite the morph you favorited and repeat for each more you want to transfer. 

• Yeah, all that.

Just one thing to keep in mind: This script, deep down, works with where morphs are saved, not with Genesis 3. I know that seems a bit strange, but it's important. Genesis 3 Female is only used to find the morph on your disk. After that, the script ignores it.

So it won't transfer an unsaved morph, it will just error out.

And it will transfer every morph in the same folder as the one you mark on the disk. An important point for dealing with custom morphs, because that could be a lot of things you didn't know where saved together. 

Also, I discoved that ti seems to be just corrupting the png files it copies, probably my fault for placing that at the end of the loop. That'll be fixed in the next realease. I already fixed it, but it doesn't actually break anything, so I'm hoping for more feedback about connect before proceeding, or possibly the infinite loop/loop at all issue. I haven't been able to get it to loop once, so I still need help troubleshooting that.

edited August 2017

Remember, these failure modes haven't happened in any of my tests, so I can't troubleshoot if I don't know what you were targeting.

What was the progress bar displaying? Was the progress bar displaying? What version of Studio are you running?

I've never seen and infinite loop condition. The only obvious thing that should possibly happen is a morph that does own itself AND has a valid Uri. This would cause the morphs to be processed twice, but it should then terminate.  On further consideration, these loops are exclusive, it shouldn't be possible to invoke both of them.

So there's a non-obvious method to create a loop. I need all the clay if I'm to make bricks out of this.

Library[2], which should be Daz Connect unless you have a version of studio that doesn't support connect, or have totally suppressed all elements of connect in you system has 16 files. 

That's all I know. Other than that 1 file must be small, or non-dsf because it processes in 200 milliseconds.

I suppress Connect.

No, I didn't get a progress bar; latest non-beta release 4.9.4.117.

I'll try a few others; I'll also retry that morph after trying others.

EDIT

I get the same results with all the morphs I've tried, both simple and containing multiple properties.

I have a number of libraries.

I did install your script into my main Daz library, as opposed to the Script lib I have. The morphs I was trying to convert were in the main library.

... Must be my setup.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Thank you, I figured out what I was doing wrong last night but then went to bed. I had loaded Genesis 8 instead of Genesis 3 (derp)

So far, it's the only morph I've transfered from G2 so it seems to have worked without issues :)

• nicstt said:

I suppress Connect.

EDIT

I get the same results with all the morphs I've tried, both simple and containing multiple properties.

I did install your script into my main Daz library, as opposed to the Script lib I have. The morphs I was trying to convert were in the main library.

... Must be my setup.

It is possible it's just your setup, but it is also possible it isn't.

You should have progress bar, so that implies something to do with your setup. The script should rn fin no matter where it is stored.

The lack of a progress bar tends to suggest you aren't using the latests script. If you open it in the Script IDE or a text editor, it has a version number. the one I intended to release should be 0.02.1. the others should be 0.01 and 0.01.1. Any other version number, and you litterally have a broken script, which I need to know.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2017

In July, I spent nearly three weeks putting together an easy to follow, step-by-step tutorial on how to use the Map Transfer utility to get your Daz "7" figure materials to work on Genesis 8. Redz has just made the whole thing obsolete! (Look here.)

Thanks Redz.

LOL

(Seriously, thank you. I hope you also have plans for the counterpart to add "7" UVs for G8 male... Hopefully to be released much sooner in the G8M lifecycle!)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    I was thrilled to see RedzStudio as a new PA in the Daz Store. I bought the UV product immediately.
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:
    I was thrilled to see RedzStudio as a new PA in the Daz Store. I bought the UV product immediately.

Me, too. I'm literally downloading it now... No wait... it just finished downloading...!

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I've already rendered with it:) Genesis 8 with some dial spinning and wearing Sunny's skin.

test20170815.png
    961 x 982 - 772K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Nath - that's a great looking character, looks more mature, distinctive and "real" than many that you see.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    Redz said:
    Redz said:

Redz said:

No reason you and Mork couldn't sell it together. :) It may be the closest thing to GenX we'll get and as I said before, the jcm transfers make this truly ingenious. 

I like this idea. :)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    PhilW said:

Nath - that's a great looking character, looks more mature, distinctive and "real" than many that you see.

Thanks:) - Sunny's an excellent skin, and there's about 25% Benita I built on in there

• I have one weird idea that might lead to infinite looping, and I'm sure that if I "fix" it won't have any other impact on the script, so I'll do that today, a post up an updated version when it's done.

Probably nto the smartest method of trouble shooting, since the update will also fix the png corruption issues, but it is a possible source of instability, so might as well fix it.

I guess, if Mork really wants to go in on a product, it would make sense. Our two scripts really do complement each other, since mine targets figure morphs, and his targets expressions poses. So, aside from the fact that mine would not exist without his, they form a complete set of utilities, together. But that's up to him, really. Like I said, I'm happy just to make a reliable working script, which means, right now, isolating the cause of this infinite loop thing.

nicstt said:

I suppress Connect.

EDIT

... Must be my setup.

You should have progress bar, so that implies something to do with your setup. The script should rn fin no matter where it is stored.

The lack of a progress bar tends to suggest you aren't using the latests script. If you open it in the Script IDE or a text editor, it has a version number. the one I intended to release should be 0.02.1. the others should be 0.01 and 0.01.1. Any other version number, and you litterally have a broken script, which I need to know.

Script displays:

// DAZ Studio version 4.9.4.117 filetype DAZ Script

// author : Architect

// created : 2017.08.07

// version : 0.02.1 beta

• nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

I suppress Connect.

EDIT

... Must be my setup.

Script displays:

Okay. So at least I know I didn't release the wrong script. Will have the update out soonest. My best guess as to what might go wrong is nesting variables, so I'm gonna clean that up.

• nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

I suppress Connect.

EDIT

... Must be my setup.

Script displays:

Okay. So at least I know I didn't release the wrong script. Will have the update out soonest. My best guess as to what might go wrong is nesting variables, so I'm gonna clean that up.

That was not the issue. I finally found a morph that triggered a loop. However, it only looped once. Will be investigating more closely to see why.

• Script was updated last night.

Can't promiss it fixes infinite looping bt it fixes the cause of the single loop I encountered.

• Okay, I finally worked out what's happening, if not exactly why.

Sometimes, for reasons I can't work out (probably something I don't know about a method) the script is returning the location of the file, even when it is supposed to be searching another library. For reasons I don't yet grok, it doesn't always do this. So having 4 libraries for testing purposes, sometimes it returns the file location for 2 of 4, sometimes 1 sometimes 4 of 4. (3 of 4 hasn't happened yet.)

I've not figured out how to fix it, but it does mean it's not looping infinitely. It's just running through all the files once for each library.

Because the final write back library is hard coded, it doesn't make more than one copy, it just overwrites the first set until it runs out of libraries.

• The looping behavior has been removed.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

SB, I haven't jumped on the G8 bandwagon yet, but wanted to thank you for the hard work you are putting in on this script. Also thanks to Redz for the hard work also.