Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.

Comments

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    You have no Idea how it makes me feel when I see people enjoying and using this. And thank you for the examples . . .

This is just a simple light'n'shadow test, but I popped your overlay on and with a little camera fiddling got:
    Test08b.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    screenshot.05-03-2013_00_.14_.00_.jpg
    1039 x 835 - 983K
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you so much for this Jaderail. I can see this prop being used in every render. What a genius idea!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You have no Idea how it makes me feel when I see people enjoying and using this. And thank you for the examples . . .
    This is just a simple light'n'shadow test, but I popped your overlay on and with a little camera fiddling got:
    Isn't it nice to see a test render turn into a good render with just a little tweaking? Keep in mind that Breaking the rules just a bit will also give great renders.

Thank you so much for this Jaderail. I can see this prop being used in every render. What a genius idea!Your Welcome, but this is not my idea. It is just my version of an Item for DS3 that will not work in DS4.5. And mine is free unlike the item that inspired it.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

A mini-update to Diana and Pallas Athena (current render is 3K s/p; will see how it comes out at 4K but it should be done at 5K). Added sharpen more and Beautify in PS :)

Submission_Reality_beautify_filter_smaller.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Had to split the posts because of file size :blank:

The grid also helps in composing action scenes. Finally doing a D&D style render :P and it's much better now that I have something to help with the composition involving a lot of characters. Two quick and dirty renders in 3Delight to check composition before adjusting everything :-P :lol:

Against_the_giant_test.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Against_the_giant_grid.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Thank You for the Post, to me your render still lacks focus. If the Two cross markers fell on your two outer characters heads it would work much better. Also I would work on lighting, I see a Magic effect added but no Spill light from it. A Large Point light with High settings would add much to this render IMHO.

edited March 2013

Oooohhh :ohh: Thanks for the tip on the cross markers Jad :-)

I render in Reality not 3Delight and will keep your advice in mind when I do my materials/light render tests :cheese:

I'm not sure if I can post it yet but I used your system (maybe not in the way that it was intended :lol: ) for Neil Gaiman's A Calendar of Tales and it was a huge help ;-) Once again, Thank you very muchly for sharing :)

Not sure if I can post what I entered yet, but when I can I will :P

EDIT: Adjusted as per your advice and it makes for much better composition %-P

Against_the_Giant_Tweaked.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Against_the_Giant_Tweaked_grid.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Ah, did not know the Reality part. But I so want to see the Finished version of this AND your Calender one as well. This looks so much more Dynamic now. I'm pulled into the action.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much, Jad :cheese: Will post the progress of Against the Giant here and as soon as I can post my entry December Tale (after the short story of the same name) I will :) I'd like you, more than any one else, to see it ;-) Especially since your Golden Rules System was instrumental helping me realize it; I don't see how I could have done it otherwise.

Am also using JGRS (Jaderail's Golden Rules System :P ) on an NDA commission so the progress on Against the Giant may be slow ;-P

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for this Jaderail !!

edited December 1969

Most Welcome. Hope you find it useful.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Hey Jade, I saw you mentioned other versions are in the works, and as I had asked in the original thread about this useful tool, I hope one of those versions is going to be for us folks using DS 4.0 Pro instead of DS 4.5 Pro. ~she hints shyly (or is that slyly)~

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Hey Jade, I saw you mentioned other versions are in the works, and as I had asked in the original thread about this useful tool, I hope one of those versions is going to be for us folks using DS 4.0 Pro instead of DS 4.5 Pro. ~she hints shyly (or is that slyly)~
    Still a WIP at this Time Miss B. But It should go Live very soon. And the Delay is my fault, I forgot to swap to my older DS4.0 content for testing as I went. I had to Pull it out and get it Setup.

But yes the Ds4.0 version is next.
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Miss B said:
    Still a WIP at this Time Miss B. But It should go Live very soon. And the Delay is my fault, I forgot to swap to my older DS4.0 content for testing as I went. I had to Pull it out and get it Setup.

But yes the Ds4.0 version is next.
    WOOT!!! Thank you sir! I so miss those options in DS 4.0, as I used the Camera Pointer all the time in DS 2 on the old laptop, and use it in DS 3A on this laptop.
    edited March 2013

Using JGRS on an earlier work :cheese: It's my sentimental favorite because it was my first render that didn't suck :lol: And it's the one render where Reality doesn't feel right for it. Will see how it looks in Luxus once I figure that out %-P

Been branching out into other overlays :) and rendered the re-composed shot in 3Delight using Skies of Economy. Noticed that the terrain needed adjusting which I did and will be evident in the next render.

Thoughts?

Edit: Ack! the attachments are now out of order :shut:

It should be 4, 1, 2, 3 :grrr:

Magic_Hour_Skies_of_Economy.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Magic_Hour_Jaderails_System.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Magic_Hour_grid.png
    1010 x 1010 - 780K
    The_Magic_Hour.png
    1010 x 1010 - 999K
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Dang, Nice work Bandit. Looks like I'll need to just give up Rendering and Create tools for people that can render.

Heads Up, for DS4.0 Users. I have beaten DS4.0 into line and the Project is WELL under way now. I should only need another day or so now.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Hey Jaderail,

Awesome job on this! You can check out my first render that used the Golden Rules prop over in the Escape contest thread. My entry is called Be My Victim.

So I am having a weird issue....I can not get the rule of thirds grid to work. The spirals come up just fine in the view port but not the GL_Sections or RO_thirds. When I load them I can see the bounding corners but the object is blank no matter what MAT I try to load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Hey Jaderail,

Awesome job on this! You can check out my first render that used the Golden Rules prop over in the Escape contest thread. My entry is called Be My Victim.

So I am having a weird issue....I can not get the rule of thirds grid to work. The spirals come up just fine in the view port but not the GL_Sections or RO_thirds. When I load them I can see the bounding corners but the object is blank no matter what MAT I try to load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hmm.. That's odd. The RO_Thirds should auto load with the Camera Prop. Does it Not? Which Version of DS4.5 are you running? I'm using the newest Update 4.5.1.56 and yes 4.5.1.6 is older, in Prgs All the numbers matter 56 is higher than 6.
    edited December 1969

Hey Jade,

Yes I am on the latest .56 of DAZ. Any other thoughts? Do you know if the plugin only allows for one rule in a project. IE - you can not switch between them? I seem to remember that the first time I launched it did show the rule of thirds but since using the spirals, now I can not use the rule of thirds again.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

I have not a clue my friend. I'm still using mine without issue. You should be able to swap overlays at any time. The only thing I've not tried is saving as a Scene Subset. It still functions for me when saved with a Scene file so I think a Subset should work as well. You are Expanding your Camera and Selecting the Golden Rule to change settings are you not? If you are I'm stumped.

edited December 1969

The only thing I can think of is that I had already applied DOF and made several adjustments to focal length on the camera. Would that affect things? Kind of like how the viewport shows transparency/opacity on the clothing, the hair, etc so they are not visible but you can still see the figure and other elements. Not sure how to explain that.

edited March 2013

Ah, Yes DOF could cause the Overlay plane to NOT be visible. But you really should have Set up the Scene before the DOF was added. Here is a quick Work around. With your DOF Camera as the Active Camera Create a new Camera and use Apply Active Veiwport when Prompted. Then Turn DOF off on it then add the Golden Rules to the new Camera. That Should work. I never thought of DOF being added before the Scene set up was finished. I will need to Up date my PDF. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

EDIT: You can also try adjusting the SIZE of the Overlay (X Z). The Focal length might be so sharp the Overlay is to Large to see.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Just downloaded this, excellent work Jederail! Thank you!

edited March 2013

Most welcome WanCow. Lets see some work with it. I love to see them.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    The only thing I can think of is that I had already applied DOF and made several adjustments to focal length on the camera. Would that affect things? Kind of like how the viewport shows transparency/opacity on the clothing, the hair, etc so they are not visible but you can still see the figure and other elements. Not sure how to explain that.
    I have done some Testing And Focal length looks to be the Issue that Can cause the Overlay to not Show properly. I had to Adjust the Overlay size with every Change of the Focal length change I made to the Camera (Still just X and Z scaling all that was needed). DOF did not effect the Use.
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:
    Ah, Yes DOF could cause the Overlay plane to NOT be visible. But you really should have Set up the Scene before the DOF was added. Here is a quick Work around. With your DOF Camera as the Active Camera Create a new Camera and use Apply Active Veiwport when Prompted. Then Turn DOF off on it then add the Golden Rules to the new Camera. That Should work. I never thought of DOF being added before the Scene set up was finished. I will need to Up date my PDF. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

EDIT: You can also try adjusting the SIZE of the Overlay (X Z). The Focal length might be so sharp the Overlay is to Large to see.

Actually for me the reverse should be true. If you set up your scene with no camera, once you apply depth of field and change focal length couldn't you end up drastically changing the the view to where elements might no longer be within the guides?

So I determined that only the GL_Sections and RO_Thirds are affects by Focal Length. The other rules work fine and are not affected by DOF or Focal Length. On the GL_Sections what I have happen is that only two lines show up and RO_Thirds has nothing visible. Here aer some test images.

Thanks.

daz-RO_Thirds.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 339K
    daz-GO_Sections.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 312K
    Post edited by Geminii23 on
    edited December 1969

If you Give me a Shot of your Camera Settings I'll see If I can do some tests and figure out an Update to fix this issue. I really want this to work properly for all users for all uses. Also Please expand the Golden Rules fully and Post it if you would please. I'm so happy you have posted this and I now have a chance to fix it before I Finish the DS4.0 version.

You have been a Big Help.

Jeff

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Dang, Nice work Bandit. Looks like I'll need to just give up Rendering and Create tools for people that can render.

Thank you so much, Jeff, I'm Jaime :cheese:

Don't sell yourself short; didn't your signature used to say that the only person you should compete with is yourself? And there's a bromide that observes a person who compare themselves to others will end up bitter or vain. :-P

But leaving those aside, I'm a great fan of your work (especially the ones that involve Bruuna :lol: ); you have a classic, cinematographic style that makes for compelling story telling :-)

Enough pontificating. You rock! ;-)

Best,
    Jaime

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If you Give me a Shot of your Camera Settings I'll see If I can do some tests and figure out an Update to fix this issue. I really want this to work properly for all users for all uses. Also Please expand the Golden Rules fully and Post it if you would please. I'm so happy you have posted this and I now have a chance to fix it before I Finish the DS4.0 version.

You have been a Big Help.

Jeff

Ok, I think I follow you. Here are more screen shots. Please let me know if this helps.

daz4-GR-Camera-settings.jpg
    1600 x 844 - 564K
    daz-RO_Thirds-xl.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 339K
    daz-GO_Sections-xl.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 343K
    daz-GL_Sp_Tris-xl.jpg
    1200 x 633 - 344K
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Ok, I think I follow you. Here are more screen shots. Please let me know if this helps.
    Yes this will help greatly I would like just one more please With the Golden rule Selected could you pick Transforms in the Parameters Tab. That will give me the last bit of Info I should need.

Thank you So Much for the help. I'll think of some way to thank you properly once I get this tracked down and Fixed.

Jeff