Growing Up for Genesis 8 (Commercial)

Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
edited September 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Welcome to The Growing Up for Genesis 8 Support thread.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Comments

• Ooooh!  Cant wait.  Growing Up is one of my all-time favorites, both for boys and girls!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited July 2017

So glad to hear this!  Of all your sets, Growing Up is easily the one that I use the most... In fact, it's a rare render that I don't use it on, as even if I'm not rendering teens or young adults, it a slight amount of G.U. rolled in really helps to take away that "supermodel" look that most DAZ character have.  

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Really can't wait.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914

RIP goes the wallet...

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited July 2017

This version has a new feature. A nose neutrilizer. Helps with blending in other face shapes. I realized when you add in other faces with a very young shape, the nose distorted a bit, mainly on the nostrils. So this version has two neutralizers. The head and the nose, making character face blending better:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    Zev0 said:

This version has a new feature. A nose neutrilizer. Helps with blending in other face shapes. I realized when you add in other faces with a very young shape, the nose distorted a bit, mainly on the nostrils. So this version has two neutralizers. The head and the nose, making character face blending better:)

Just shut-up and take my money! :) I actually have a virtual wishlist for your B&G morphing system for V8, as well as this one!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    edited July 2017
    Zev0 said:

"Nose neutrilizer' sounds like something Marvin The Martian would use to destroy the Earth, but I want one anyway. :)    .

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

Looking forward to this. Thanks in advance.

• So glad to hear this!  Of all your sets, Growwing Up is easily the one that I use the most... In fact, it's a rare render that I don't use it on, as even if I'm not rendering teens or young adults, it a slight amount of G.U. rolled in really helps to take away that "supermodel" look that most DAZ character have.  

Seconded. It's easyly the product I use the most often too.

• ashamelashamel Posts: 1

Looking forward! Thanks for your work, Zev0!

Thread Updated with Promos.

• What promos? :p

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 1,084

Instant buy for me.

Can't wait.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,609

Cool!  Just need to figure out how to be able to use Genesis 8 before I can get anything Genesis 8 related.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

yes

• chrbou2001chrbou2001 Posts: 117

A sure buy!

• edited July 2017

On a semi-related topic: Zev, you really should make a SkinBuilder3 for G3M :)

That too would be an instant buy for me.

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

On a semi-related topic: Zev, you really should make a SkinBuilder3 for G3M :)

That too would be an instant buy for me.

He has said a few times, past experience has taught him it generates far fewer sales.

You can use the female version to create skin textures now, with another tool iirc, no idea what tool though.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I would think the UV swap tool would be all you need

• Zev0 said:

By any chance, will the nose neutrilizer ever make an appearance on the Genesis 3 version of Growing Up? Or is this feature only for Genesis 8/V8 and later?

I will have to see. Was a mission to get right on the G8 version. This is a G8 feature by nature.

• Any chance Molly 4.0 will make an appearance in the store at some future point? ;)

Yes, I just need to find time to finish her up.

• mrinalmrinal Posts: 641
    edited August 2017

I have had issues dealing with other FBMs and breast morphs that do not work well the age morphs especially in the chest area, like too many morphs competing to define the shape of that region. Now I understand that the chest area is one of THE most crucial regions for this. Yet, would it be possible to exclude that region (say, limit it to scaling only as an additional option) so that a) the conflict can be kept minimal b) relinquish exclusive control to more specialized breast morphs that can provide the desired shape?

Post edited by mrinal on
    edited August 2017

"say, limit it to scaling only as an additional option"

Not going to add that in lol. Then you just end up with "Shrunken Adult Syndrome" sized kids, which is a look I hate when people pass that off as a child in other offerings just by scaling the default adult shape down. The entire torso area had to be resculpted, and the entire Growing Up system and its jcm's revolve around this. I am able to add in breast morphs fine. All depends what breast morphs you are using.

Give me a scenario of where you found clashes? EG morph list you used and I will have a look for a solution or see why you are having issues.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    Zev0 said:

"say, limit it to scaling only as an additional option"

Not going to add that in lol. Then you just end up with "Shrunken Adult Syndrome" sized kids, which is a look I hate when people pass that off as a child in other offerings just by scaling the default adult shape down. The entire torso area had to be resculpted, and the entire Growing Up system and its jcm's revolve around this. I am able to add in breast morphs fine. All depends what breast morphs you are using.

Give me a scenario of where you found clashes? EG morph list you used and I will have a look for a solution or see why you are having issues.

First, I am not saying that it should be the default option. Just an alternate slider in addition to the default "Youth Morph" saying something like "Youth Morph w/o Breast Mod". Since it is an additional slider doing the same effect as the normal slider with only scaling effects for the breasts, other customers should not complain as they still get their desired effect through the original slider. I am not sure if this is something that can be achieved otherwise at the consumers end (via vertex exclusion or disabling JCMs). Please enlighten me if it can be.

Take for example, while creating voluptuous kids with normal/underdeveloped breasts. The existing voluptuous shape dial does not account for the age factor. Consequently, the resultant character ends up looking more like a midget. Not sure if the forum policies would allow me to post such images.

Another scenario are the several custom sculpted characters (DO as well as PA developed) especially whose breast shapes differ significantly from that of the default genesis shape and/or who use different JCMs for the breast region. I had different degree of success in applying the youth morphs to such characters. In some case the breasts would remain still large or become dented inwards (and those are the best case scenarios). The difference can be so dramatic that I now maintain a list of "youth morph safe" list of characters.

I have a decent success rate while applying some of the flat breast shapes (available here and elsewhere) with characters which are not in my "youth morph safe" list of characters. But applying the youth shape causes unacceptable indentations/deformations in such cases.

I am not saying that excluding the breast region from the youth morphs would solve that problem, but it would my life a lot easier if I had to deal with one less contestant trying to compete in defining the breast shape for kids.

edited August 2017

"Take for example, while creating voluptuous kids with normal/underdeveloped breasts. The existing voluptuous shape dial does not account for the age factor. Consequently, the resultant character ends up looking more like a midget. Not sure if the forum policies would allow me to post such images."

That is because voluptuous morph has an added breast shape and has nothing to do with Growing Up. Me creating a default breast region would have no impact. Eg use the Pear morph wich does not really alter the breast area and you are fine. Growing Up also has its own Youth Weight morph specifically designed to add weight to younger shapes.

"Another scenario are the several custom sculpted characters (DO as well as PA developed) especially whose breast shapes differ significantly from that of the default genesis shape and/or who use different JCMs for the breast region. I had different degree of success in applying the youth morphs to such characters. In some case the breasts would remain still large or become dented inwards (and those are the best case scenarios). The difference can be so dramatic that I now maintain a list of "youth morph safe" list of characters."

Adult body shapes need to be dialled in low the younger the character is because those are adult features that should not be present on a child. You will see that when Growing Up is at a teen preset those adult morphs blend in better, at an age where they roughly start taking adult features. You can't dial an adult character 100% and expect it to look good on a young character. Blend it in. I also have no control of how people sculpt. Most don't follow the basic geometry outlines and just shift verts without checking for compatibility with other shapes.

"I have a decent success rate while applying some of the flat breast shapes (available here and elsewhere) with characters which are not in my "youth morph safe" list of characters. But applying the youth shape causes unacceptable indentations/deformations in such cases."

Again this all comes down to what breast morphs you use as I have no problem creating breast shapes on younger kids. Also I have no control over how other people decide to make their breast morphs. I use my Breast Control and the Growing Up breast morphs, which follows the base mesh structure more accurately. That is what I use. Also to add to this, creators of those adult shapes should in theory update the official Breast Gone morph provided by Daz to nulify breast shapes on their characters. Daz is also guilty of not updating some characters in relation to that morph. This way you could remove the breast shapes from all dialled characters and gives you a fresh template to add in your own.

End of the day, there is no real justification for a default region because the Growing Up's breast area is essentially a breastless template. You are asking me to double the amount of work for a feature that isn't really important to most users, where very young kids have breasts, because in reality, most of them don't until they reach pubity, and at that age, Growing Up works as intended. It all comes down to how smartly you blend in your morphs. There are many different ways to achieve a result.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Sometimes I need those unique figure shape that comes in adult characters to give a distinct shape to the teens especially while depicting mother-daughter family portraits. Otherwise, every teenager would have the default genesis shape with another skin.

What about adult characters who already come with smaller/almost flat breast shapes? Dialing in youth morphs on them causes their breast to shrink inwards into the body which is totally not acceptable. It would have been better if the youth morphs ignored the breast shapes of such characters or applied the effect at a much lower strength. But the existing "Youth Morph" dial seem to apply the same breast corrections irrespective of the existing breast size which causes the issue.

Since the youth morphs are not part of the official set of FBMs I cannot expect the vendors to provide support for it, I also understand your limitation that you cannot take into account all the possible character shapes released by various vendors. That is the reason I requested you to consider the option of leaving the breast region as one of the options which would make our life easier while dealing with smaller/flat chested adult female characters.

Again, I am not challenging the accuracy of the base mesh structure that you use, but only the fact that youth morphs assumes the breast shape of the existing character to be of default shape while applying corrections.

P.S. I have no issues if you name that morph dial "Shrunken Adult Syndrome" so long as I have one less breast modifier to worry about.

edited August 2017

I will have to do some serious research as to how I can add this in without breaking the product. Most of the jcm's might have to be redesigned to work with any new chest alteration. I will need to find a way around that which is not going to be an easy task. But I will look into this once I am off production on current projects. Moving back delays release schedules.This is not going to be a quick job. No guarentee I will do it, but I will give it a shot and see if its viable. I will try and use the same method I did for creating the head neutralizer, but this will be harder because of the difference in chest shape.

Post edited by Zev0 on

Thanks for looking into it.

One option might be to split the base youth morph into two associated morphs - a controller (Youth Morph) and a controlled morph (Controlled Youth Breasts). The Controlled Youth Breasts morph would solely own any modifications to the chest area. Dialing the controller Youth Morph would automatically dial in the controlled morph to the same extent. If there are any undesired shapes introduced due to the Youth Morph in the chest area they can be easily negated by lowering down the intensity of the controlled youth breasts morph after disassociating it from its controller.