Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Tone Mapping is a bit of a mystery to me - I know you helped me out with it when I was using those dreamlight lights that were SO orange, so I must go back and write some notes down about it. I have a tone mapping preset that comes in a set of lights, so I'll play with those to get a headstart. 

Dumor's lights are on my wishlist, havne't picked them up yet.  

Novica said:

Yeah, the render times on these lights is good- very good, usually. The 1200 to 1400 pixel ones were taking me about 12- 18  minutes depending on how close up they were.  Edit- and agree, she could use some bump and other tweaks.

Also recommend Dumor's Apocalyptic lights- do you have those? Those may tend to be slightly orange, I'm trying to remember. And don't forget you can piddle with changing the White Point in Tone Mapping to get rid of orange- red. You're trying for complementary color on that, so to get rid of the red, we'd use a light blue or gray. The trouble with White Point thoughis it changes the entire render, not just the skin, but a small tweak there can really make a difference, and sometimes the white of the eyes and the white teeth benefit from White Point turning things blue.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2017

Want to show you Daphne's brows. Much better than Olympia 8's, that's for sure. All of these are just out of the box. Took 19 minutes 47 seconds.

BTW, these are still with the Mitchell filter, and I found what I think is a good combination of settings for that, for this gal anyway. What you want to look for is the graininess on the necks, like specks. So for Daphne, it was the default of Firefly on, but I turned on noise filter, the degrain filtering was 2 and radius 3, blur difference was .32 (probably could have gone higher but I liked the blending as it is)  The Pixel Filter Radius was 1.54. The lower that goes, the sharper it is, so if you are getting noise, turn that one UP.  (Gaussian default is 1.50)  I had that lower on the Olympia ones and there is some noise or more splotchy on the neck, could be the materials, I don't know.

This is 600, enlarges to 800. I don't want to do them too large because I can't do as many. You get the idea about the brows and skin color. She's much- MUCH less red than Olympia.

Here's the settings- this was Light 11 Right, she is rotated from the front 17.60

Remember, always do ISO first, (158.67) as that changes Exposure Value (13.27) 

DaphnePerrinHr2.png
    526 x 800 - 863K
    Post edited by Novica on

Let me test the White Point and see what it takes to tweak the red just slightly.

edited July 2017

Okay, a peach, which seems counter-intuitive, (why add RED to get rid of red) indeed makes it go complimentary to adding blue/ hint of yellow to her skin. Depends on if you go more peach, or red.  Try 255 / 186 / 158 using the 14 right light. Tweak from there. Back in a few.

EDIT: I tweaked that color to 255/ 217/ 202. You want to stay away from yellow on that color chart, and what I did was go further DOWN from the first one to get more white blended in. Rendering now.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

So here she is with the information from above. As you can see, White Point is effective if you don't want to change the skin color in Surfaces. She's much less red. This is 600 px and it's 800 px so you can click to enlarge, a tiny bit.

olympia8 whitepoint pink.png
    564 x 800 - 756K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have to ask, what is it with the make up not showing until it renders?  That makes things pretty much useless if you are trying to choose the best one for a render.  Huge time suck to constantly have to wait for it to update in Iray if I want to see what I am getting.  Its already bad enough that you can't see a lot of the HDRI's unless your render.  If that is going to be a trend, then that will be one more reason to not purchase any more of the G8F line at all.  I don't have that much time to do this hobby as it is, I am NOT going to waste it waiting for the Aux Viewport to render each change.  It slows things down way too much and is irritating as **ll.  NOT a good choice to go in this direction at all.  Seriously, why on earth would you think its a good idea to not show the make up on the model when in the working viewport?  Its like flying blind.  No thanks.

I do really like Olympia 8 and the more I see of her the more I like her.  But I'm still not buying.  I might have got over the no orange banner but if the make up doesn't show in the preview render, that's a total deal killer.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited July 2017

Daphne is gorgeous. I really like her. This render by Ildanach on the Olympia 8 thread is convincing me to take another look. Not sure what lighting he used here, but her features, most especially her eyebrows, look very good: 

EDIT: He said the lighting is BOSS and the brows are Oh My Brows. They look way better than the defaults!

Post edited by Llynara on

I read that somewhere else, that the makeup doesn't show. How on earth do they even get it to DO that? These were just out of the box, so now I'm going to go see what that makeup problem looks like. Totally weird, have we ever had that before? Back in a minute or two, my computer's fast.

Huh. Did they pull the makeup? I didn't buy her until the evening, and I don't have makeup. I have eyes and brows in the Materials>Iray subfolder (content library, when I use People>Genesis 8 Female>Characters.)  No makeup! 

I don't know but I hope they fix it.  I really don't like that trend at all.  I noticed it on G8F. I can't remember if its also true for V8, I will have to check when I get home.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited July 2017

That's weird, because the product listing shows that there are makeup options: 

• 6 Make-up Options with Eyebrow
    • 6 Make-up Options without Eyebrow
    • 9 Eyebrow Prop Options

And I don't like the fact that the makeups don't show in the preview window any more. Seems like that is new with the Gen 8 figures. 

Post edited by Llynara on
    Llynara said:

That's weird, because the product listing shows that there are makeup options: 

• 6 Make-up Options with Eyebrow
    • 6 Make-up Options without Eyebrow
    • 9 Eyebrow Prop Options

And I don't like the fact that the makeups don't show in the preview window any more. Seems like that is new with the Gen 8 figures. 

Really bad idea

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I remember when I got v8 and kept selecting makeup for her and nothing applied. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I don't like not being able to see the selection in preview either

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Huh, go figure. The more renders of Olympia 8 I see, the less I need to have her right now. I'll definitely get her at some point, but it's okay if that's much later.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited July 2017
    Novica said:

Yep, I knew it. Just getting back online and sure enough, an orange banner for previous owners. I hadn't checked out as I figured that would happen. I did get the 25% but still not going for the Pro Bundle. I've given this some thought all day, and down the rabbit hole again. I thought about the two UV releases, getting those of Victoria 5 and Victoria 6 to work on Genesis 8, just because the facial expressions are SO much better. But that led to - what UVs are actually V5? Am I right that Genesis UVs won't work with Cayman's V5 product?

All I found for Victoria 5, when selecting it in the dropdown (do NOT use search, that's even worse)  and NOT Genesis, are:
    Gemma     Isla     Rayne    Meara    Kostia    Olivia    Lora   Emiko   Edit: Found "Gabi for V5" in my list in the studio, so obviously the figure selection route will not work in the gallery shopping page.) 

And I don't own most of them. So Genesis UVs don't work?  And is there a way to see if some of the Genesis just didn't show up in the store dropdown, that do use Victoria 5?  (A way in the studio? I am NOT going character by character and checking UVs. They (the Victoria 5, and the Genesis)  both say "Base UV" so I am confused) 

@Novica - this may  be a few hours too late, but V5 textures were quite widespread on early G2F characters. I was making a list for myself the other day (same reason: is it worth getting the Caymen V5 for V8 product?) and here are the G2F characters using V5 UVs in my content library:
    Bambi for Giselle 6, FW Diana, FW Jennie for Belle 6, FW Joanie, FW Lin, FWSA Gingersnap, FWSA Keshi, FWSA Riva, FWSA Wachiwi, FWSA Xiao Mei, LY Sophie, Taylor for Stephanie 6, also Vengeful Spirit (probably only useful for 3Delight renders) - oh, and Skin Builder Pro for G2F.
    In addition a whole bunch of characters uses V5 UVs for the skin with some Base Female UV parts (typically eyes, eyelashes,etc):
    FW Ashley, FW Caoimhe, FW Cassie, FW Danika, FW Kyra, FW Merfolk, FW Mirella, FW Naida & Nalin, FW Neomi, FW Nikki, FW Nita, FW Sassafrat, FWF Janna & Janna Little Devil, FWF Mayuree and FWF Sumiko.
    (Sorry I haven't put links in, but there are so many I don't really have the time.)
    So that's about 30 G2F characters in my content library with complete or mostly V5 UVs, vs about 25 that use G2F Base Female UVs which I haven't listed here.

ETA: ah! I just noticed your later post about Cayman's list of characters by UV set  - I'd forgotten all about that list. Actually mine has a couple of entries not on Cayman's list.

It's been interesting seeing everyone's take on Olympia 8. I'm still on the fence, trying hard not to get into Gen8 as yet, which is not too difficult seeing as my store credit is down to 7 dollars at the moment! And yes I used my PC coupons for July. I have an orange banner (because I did buy into Olympias 6 and 7) which says it lasts till August 7th so maybe next month...

Edit to fix some typos.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:
    Novica said:

And I don't own most of them. So Genesis UVs don't work?  And is there a way to see if some of the Genesis just didn't show up in the store dropdown, that do use Victoria 5?  (A way in the studio? I am NOT going character by character and checking UVs. They (the Victoria 5, and the Genesis)  both say "Base UV" so I am confused) 

ETA: ah! I just noticed your later post about Cayman's list of characters by UV set  - I'd forgotten all about that list. Actually mine has a couple of entries not on Cayman's list.

It's been interesting seeing everyone's take on Olympia 8. I'm still on the fence, trying hard not to get into Gen8 as yet, which is not too difficult seeing as my store credit is down to 7 dollars at the moment! And yes I used my PC coupons for July. I have an orange banner (because I did buy into Olympias 6 and 7) which says it lasts till August 7th so maybe next month...

I understand what you mean about going Genesis 8 / Victoria 8. I am "kinda" holding firm on not going to that generation- or I was- until I saw the facial expressions/posing which are SO much better- very fluid. You won't see it with my quicky portraits on the thread (my main goal has already been to show folks base, out of the box, and show quickly like for these new releases. Took me about four hours to test stuff/render.)  So what I personally decided to do was get Genesis 8 characters while deeply discounted (that means 60% or more) so I can use their morphs- and totally disregard their materials (eyebrows I don't like) because I'm using Genesis 3 for the skins. (until an EASY way to get the morphs from Genesis 3 onto 8 is made.) 

Most of what I'm doing now in the near future, is my Generation 4 conversions of skin and morphs up to Genesis 3. Omgosh, there are BEAUTIFUL  skins for that Generation. Some of the vendors I check out first over at Rendo and here for beautiful and/or thicker eyebrows for women is of course Moussa, Sabby, Seven,(SASE, which combines those),  Mihrelle,  P3Design, Vyktorhia (I don't know if I spelled that right),  Godin, Gypsyangel, Ozichick, Pixeluna,Saiyaness,  Chevybabe25,  to name a few. Raiya is a mixture, some are too penciled for me, but they are thicker, and many are quite good so far as more natural.  We mentioned a few vendors a few posts back, too.  When I think of unique overall, it's Saiyaness, Gypsyangel, Chevybabe25. Who do you folks like for variety overall, and for brows? (those are two different things. I buy some that have great morphs, with no intention of ever using the mats.) 

Interesting- does anyone have Nino from Faber? He looks good here.  And I had to laugh, I own all of Phoenix1966.  Agnes looks like she's ready to take on the world. I expect to see her as an evil queen coming up in some Marvel or DC movie.

I don't see much mention of Anain over at Rendo (check out Ronnie, he's a bit of a "typical" dude, I don't have him yet, but I did remember thinking he'd have some good morphs to add to the pool) but some gals and the boys have a bit too many freckles/ or moles for my personal tastes. Also- Blanca for two unusual materials. Isabol /Sorbel will surprise you with the variation (not my cup of tea though), scroll through the images to see what I mean. 

@melaniel   You should post the ones you have that aren't on the list- over in that thread. People will appreciate it. (I haven't checked, you may have already done that. You're very helpful.) 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I have Nino. He was released with a nice skin  with a convincing degree of translucence something that I frequently find a little flat on male characters. 

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    Novica said:
    MelanieL said:
    Novica said:

I understand what you mean about going Genesis 8 / Victoria 8. I am "kinda" holding firm on not going to that generation- or I was- until I saw the facial expressions/posing which are SO much better- very fluid. You won't see it with my quicky portraits on the thread (my main goal has already been to show folks base, out of the box, and show quickly like for these new releases. Took me about four hours to test stuff/render.)  So what I personally decided to do was get Genesis 8 characters while deeply discounted (that means 60% or more) so I can use their morphs- and totally disregard their materials (eyebrows I don't like) because I'm using Genesis 3 for the skins. (until an EASY way to get the morphs from Genesis 3 onto 8 is made.) 

Most of what I'm doing now in the near future, is my Generation 4 conversions of skin and morphs up to Genesis 3. Omgosh, there are BEAUTIFUL  skins for that Generation. Some of the vendors I check out first over at Rendo and here for beautiful and/or thicker eyebrows for women is of course Moussa, Sabby, Seven,(SASE, which combines those),  Mihrelle,  P3Design, Vyktorhia (I don't know if I spelled that right),  Godin, Gypsyangel, Ozichick, Pixeluna,Saiyaness,  Chevybabe25,  to name a few. Raiya is a mixture, some are too penciled for me, but they are thicker, and many are quite good so far as more natural.  We mentioned a few vendors a few posts back, too.  When I think of unique overall, it's Saiyaness, Gypsyangel, Chevybabe25. Who do you folks like for variety overall, and for brows? (those are two different things. I buy some that have great morphs, with no intention of ever using the mats.) 

Interesting- does anyone have Nino from Faber? He looks good here.  And I had to laugh, I own all of Phoenix1966.  Agnes looks like she's ready to take on the world. I expect to see her as an evil queen coming up in some Marvel or DC movie.

I don't see much mention of Anain over at Rendo (check out Ronnie, he's a bit of a "typical" dude, I don't have him yet, but I did remember thinking he'd have some good morphs to add to the pool) but some gals and the boys have a bit too many freckles/ or moles for my personal tastes. Also- Blanca for two unusual materials. Isabol /Sorbel will surprise you with the variation (not my cup of tea though), scroll through the images to see what I mean. 

There was a product update for Olympia 8 today when I used DIM.  Not sure what it was as I rushed off to work. But, will check tonight

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited July 2017

My first render in almost exactly one month, so probably a bit rusty. But I don't blame that. This just did not end up the way I wanted it. And look at those brows! Or rather, please don't look at them! I love the fact that it seems to be a new standard for the new official DAZ G8 characters that brows can be added seperately, But there's something just not right with these. And I just checked, no O8 update in DIM for me.

Another disappointment was the pose. It's from one of the pose packs in the O8 pro bundle, so they come with a version tailored for Olympia. Still her hands were halfway into her body. Sure, she wears clothes, but they can't be that thick.

The hair and outfit are also from the O8 bundle, though I'm using one of the textures from the add-on for the outfit. A bit too shiny imo, so I'll definitely have to tweak that for any "serious" render.

Olympia is, just as I, a bit sceptical...

Olympia8.jpg
    1545 x 2500 - 2M
    Post edited by isidorn on

So,  another not-a-huge-fan-of-those-brows. They do seem to render shiny in quite a few of the renders I've seen. Lighting is going to be everything perhaps? 

edited July 2017

Okay, let's test her with the Apocalyptic lights.  BTW, found in Render Presets, not lighting. (Content Library)  Renders fast, is 92% done in 10 minutes, 800px render. No hair.

I had to change a LOT of things though. I did my usual Dome Y Orientation turning (normally 270 but went with 320) did Environment Intensity at almost triple (up to 3.0) and the ISO and Exposure Value required a lot of the light setting (Exp. Value down, ISO up) Changed the White Point to peach again to get rid of the red.  This is NOT the default skin color. Rendering now, but here's what I can tell you-

It seems the brows look flatter and glossy when they are moving away from the camera view. We can see individual hair where the brow starts, but even that seems to lack enough bump (at least for my preferences.)  When doing scenes, I render a LOT with this set, just like the Pro-Studio is my "go to" for portraits, the Indoor and Outdoor sets of the Apocalyptic series is good because it makes EVERYONE look good, consistently. Well, Olympia isn't quite faring too well. And look at the beginning of that brow on OUR left, it's like an end of a transparent trapezoid (ends of a rectangle that have a sharp angle.) 

This is also the Mitchell filtering again,  to me it looked better than the Gaussian when I tested yesterday. One thing I like, this light set makes the neck a bit less splotchy, although if you're going for realism, the Pro-Studio lights are more nit-picky in showing splotchy/different areas IMO. I'm getting more of a "creamy skin" vibe from this particular choice, which was the "corridor." 

Total time 12 minutes. Looking at this closer, and of course, it could be the lighting/angle, it seems there isn't much hair where that "trapezoid" edge section is.

Edit: I do want to say I am glad I got her though- my purpose was, and still is, to have the right morphs for Daphne, who I really like. Compare the brows (go back up a few posts.)  And for the body morphs.

olympia8ApocalypticLts.png
    564 x 800 - 572K
    olympia8ApocalypticLts2.png
    221 x 161 - 70K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

And what's with the eyelashes on top NOT going to the corner of the eye? The ones on bottom going to the outside don't go over very far either, but it's more noticeable with the top inner corner ones.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

Hmm, this Classic Office Style Outfit seems like an incomplete promo-  I'm all for a unique approach, but this doesn't seem like it's taking advantage of really showing a product the best way possible. I don't particularly like the pants at the bottom as shown,  wish more views of that were offered. As is, it seems a bit crumply and sharp edged, and I'm hopeful it has more smooth movements. I like to see outfits in a variety of motion ranges. Some of the textures look nice (in the separate product.) 

And funny I mentioned Saiyaness for unique characters a few hours ago, and coincidentally we get Benita. Love the older characters.

Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited July 2017

Benita looks very nice - I'm sure she'll do so even without V8 in the mix. But it doesn't say which UVs she uses.

Post edited by Nath on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

G8's use the G3F uv's.  

Nath said:

Benita looks very nice - I'm sure she'll do so even without V8 in the mix. But it doesn't say which UVs she uses.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    Novica said:
    MelanieL said:
    Novica said:

Oh I'm using the FREE bits of Gen8 - i.e. the base female - and I've ported over a lots of morphs using Redz method from the other thread. I've been GenX2-ing all my favourites to G3F from earlier generations and manually transferring from there. So with a whole pile of G3F skin texures I have plenty to play with! I just haven't bought into the V8 or O8 stuff (waiting for the PA Sale then the PC Anniversary Sale hoping for bargains there devil)

Llynara said:

Thank you for posting this, Novica! I am one of those people who have always struggled with GenX2. I did finally get it to work on an M4 about a year ago. A couple of months ago I needed to do another and ran into the same thing. Couldn't get it to work, didn't know what I was doing wrong, spent hours trying to find the solution. I'm bookmarking this and clipping it into my Evernote folder to refer back to! 

Novica said:

I'm going to do a "may wanna try this" post for those who are getting back to GenX2 from a prolonged absence (me) and who need some refresher tips.

First, there's a lot of videos but here's one that really nails it, with perhaps a couple areas which you can tweak. So, let's start with my experiences last night and how I finally ended up tackling it. Feel free to provide your thoughts/ how you do it. Before you watch the video and get started, DO THIS: 

1.)  First make sure you have GenX2 installed. I did, but somehow when I went from studio 4.8 to 4.9, only GenX was installed. I KNOW I had GenX2 installed previously, because I discussed what I was doing on the GenX2 thread with Ralf, and in PMs- and posted my results in my threads! So whacky.  How do you check? If you use DIM, just go type in Genesis Generation X2  and be sure it's installed.

2.) In the studio, go to Help>About Installed Plug Ins> and click on Genesis Generation X2. At the bottom, it will tell you the version number.  2.1.1.0 is the latest.

3.) I recommend this Black Sun Comics video: and start at 3:15    Here's some more helpful tips when watching that:
    You find the GenX tool in Window (Panes/Tabs)  then after you click on it, you can drag it wherever you want.

4.) He doesn't change settings at the bottom. If you're going to do that, do it first so you don't forget. I changed Resolution to a lower number, which means sharper details. The official thread said not to get that ultra low (You can go to 0) and last time I used this, I had 30 and the results were very good. Default is 50, but the pdf mentions lowering it. What do you folks use?  I also changed the limits to -20 and 20.  I also compress the files, as per the discussion in the Commons. 

5.)  Note your generation 4 figures probably won't be in the dropdown for source, you can Load Source and track it down, or drag and drop. After you do it once, they will appear in the source choices.

For dragging over the first time for V4 and M4:
    Content Library>Poser Formats>Daz>Figures> DAZ People  then get the cr2   (base model)
    Content Library>Poser Formats>Daz>Pose>DAZ's Victoria 4 (or Michael 4) >Morph Injections>INJ Morphs+++    (get the morphs you need. See Tip, next line.) 

TIP: Check all your characters BEFORE YOU START to see if they need addtional morphs, some of your muscular ones may need those. Just go to Product Library and the individual product pages, it's fast and easy.  WHAT I DID: I loaded up the muscularity and the Morphs+++ because those two are common. If you're doing aged people or fantasy, you'll need the others, but I picked the two I think will be most commonly used, then I don't have to worry about it.

If loading the source and doing it from Load Files,  in my studio it's Content>Runtime>Libraries for both of these, then:
    Character>DAZ People>(Victoria 4, etc)  for the base
    Pose>(DAZ's Victoria 4,etc) >Morph Injections>INJ Morphs++  for the morphs.

After you do these Generation 4 people once, they now appear in the Source dropdown list. 

6.) Generally speaking- Select Edges if you are using a Generation 4 as the source. Use Smooth for the others. The explanation for this is in the official thread.

7.)  Don't forget to use Select  and  choose Transfer On for all Non-Zero Values

8.)  Doing complete vs head then body: after watching the video, I'm a firm believer in doing heads and bodies separately, due to getting a separate slider for the head and really maximizing morphs- you get sliders for each head and mixing morphs with other ones is SOOOOO easy. The way I named mine was to identify
    a) character    Tiffany (which would be the body one)   OR    TiffanyHead
    b) where it came from    REN   (Renderosity)
    c) what figure it came from   V4
    so the identifier would be Tiffany_REN_V4  for the body, or TiffanyHead_REN_V4 for just the head. The Name would be the same, without the underscores (_) 

Choose Actor for the body (in Region) and don't forget to choose HEAD for the head!

9.) To find the body-  (Target, like Genesis 3 Female)  > Actor > Generation X

10.)  And in the Shaping pane, the head will be: Genesis 3 Female (whatever your target is) > Head > Generation X> VIctoria 4 (whatever your source was)  

Hope this helps, you should breeze right along!

This worked perfectly!  I just moved my first V4 character to G3F.  I do have a question though.  Are there legacy UV's for V4 to Genesis 3F?  I can't find them.  I have one for m4 to G3 but can't find one for V4 to G3

Hi, I'm back online. Legacy UVs for Genesis 3: V4 by Cayman Studios over at Rendo

Ah don't know why I didn't think of that thanks!

This discussion has been closed.