Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

The blades move- rotate like going around a clock. 

• Novica said:

I think the question is do they have a version that is a transmapped disc or the like, to appear (in a stil render) as a blurred rotor - some aeroplane models do that with their propellers.

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Novica said:

I think the question is do they have a version that is a transmapped disc or the like, to appear (in a stil render) as a blurred rotor - some aeroplane models do that with their propellers.

Yes -- my guess is they don't.  It's a pain to make.  Some of the airplanes and helicopter models do it.

In Parameters, the only sliders are the ones I mentioned when the item is selected in Scene, and there's no additional bones, just the one. Hope I'm not overlooking something. I am opening it back up now to see if there's a different preset perhaps. If I don't come back on, the answer was no. 

I came back on anyway, to say nope. I checked the props, and also checked the materials. No blur. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,566

I Wish more vendors would include a blade rotation feature option . Petipet used to do that with some of their models. It's kind of a pita but would make an interesting product suggestion assuming it could be resized to fit different aircraft

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Novica said:

I came back on anyway, to say nope. I checked the props, and also checked the materials. No blur. 

thaks much...  saves me buying it

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,814
    isidorn said:

Nice render RGcincy! Both girls look pretty exhausted. I've considered getting that bundle, but my main gripe with it is that the room is so spacious. Aren't dorms typically about housing a maximum number of students in a minimum amount of space? And I would guess the school uniforms are probably more about appealing to the generic school girl fantasy than any attempt to portrait a realistic college outfit.

Thanks. I know what you mean about the size of the room, my dorm was nothing like this one. A twin bed, a desk the same width with 3 small drawers, enough space to sit in a chair and a small closet. Repeat on the opposite side. They just tore those dorms down as they didn't have enough space and electrical service for modern times.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

@Novica, you've got Truform/inlitestudios Luxury Yacht also, don't you? What's your thoughts on the two?

edited August 2017

FYI for people who haven't seen the thread, the HW big cats are not going to be in the store much longer, so if you didn't get them you may want to do that, or read how it's being handled. There is a link to a post that explains it, in the Big Cat thread in Commons. 

Post edited by Novica on

That thread got locked - unless there's another one I didn't see? The big cats will go back to Hivewire, so you can always pick them up there if you miss them here.  

Novica said:

FYI for people who haven't seen the thread, the HW big cats are not going to be in the store much longer, so if you didn't get them you may want to do that, or read how it's being handled. There is a link to a post that explains it, in the Big Cat thread in Commons. 

edited August 2017

I am not sure buying a discontinued product is advisable. Will it get updates? Would it be better to buy from hivewire directly?

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2017

I am not sure buying a discontinued product is advisable. Will it get updates? Would it be better to buy from hivewire directly?

The only advantage I can see is being able to install via DIM. It's a moot point for me, as I bought all of them when they were first released at Hivewire. Manual installs are actually pretty easy. And there is no question about ongoing support...

ETA: Speaking of their cats, here's my latest render: A closeup of the HW3D Housecat with the free LAMH preset so generously given by Saiyaness...

Got Milk

Got Milk, by L'Adair

I added the background in photoshop. I tried a wall, window and curtains with gaussian blur to fake DOF, but nothing looked as good as the pure black backgrouns. The LAMH fur is so nice!

Post edited by L'Adair on

The cat looks great. Nice render! I admit I wasn't fond of the hairless version. A bit rounded for my taste but the LAMH preset looks good.

Kitty has a great tongue. Looks quite ladylike taking a sip of his/her milk.

@L'Adair, that is gorgeous!!! Is that iray or 3delight? (looks like iray but thought I'd check). Saiyaness's lamh preset for it is amazing - there's a free one for the mill cat (not by her) but it doesn't look as fantastic as this. I need that cat just to use her preset. LOL

It wouldn't get updates, so probably better to get from HW. Excellent support there. 

edited August 2017
    jakiblue said:

@L'Adair, that is gorgeous!!! Is that iray or 3delight? (looks like iray but thought I'd check). Saiyaness's lamh preset for it is amazing - there's a free one for the mill cat (not by her) but it doesn't look as fantastic as this. I need that cat just to use her preset. LOL

@jakiblue Thank you. laugh

It's Iray. Although, when I attempted to convert the LAMH obj to Iray, it crashed DS. I applied the preset using the free player, set the quantity to 1,200,000 per Saiyaness' recommendations and it turned out very nice. This was Scene Only mode with a single spotlight on his face.

edited August 2017

The cat looks great. Nice render! I admit I wasn't fond of the hairless version. A bit rounded for my taste but the LAMH preset looks good.

Kitty has a great tongue. Looks quite ladylike taking a sip of his/her milk.

Thank you. I like the HW cats better than the Millennium cats, (but look how old the mil cat is!) Without hair, it didn't really matter which cat it was. Neither one was ready for their closeup, "Mr. Demille..." The presets change everything. And I can't believe Saiyaness gave them away for free. I'd have gladly paid $15 or more for the two of them.

edited August 2017
    jakiblue said:

@Novica, you've got Truform/inlitestudios Luxury Yacht also, don't you? What's your thoughts on the two?

So different, can't really compare. But I'll give it a go.

The furniture in some places is similar, white and modern (squared pillows, functional and elegant at the same time.)  In places, the Polish one has more detailed props (such as the artwork hanging behind the bar) and the details are good. But Truform has much more variety and offers so many different types of rooms! Also, you get more of a corporate, mogul type yacht with Truform, the dining area setup is huge. Truform is a front and back focus on entertainment and usable areas, with that helicopter up top, but Polish is practical where the landing pad is located. 

Truform's helicopter landing pad is NOT USABLE- any helicopter wouldn't fit there. There was a creative approach though, in having an elevator going up to that level.  HOWEVER, the problem with Polish's is the helicopter completely blocks the Captain's view and he/she couldn't pilot the yacht (or at least using his vision!)  if the helicopter was there. It's dead center in front of the cockpit windows.  

The Polish one has that wonderful creative pool (ultra cool to have it at the end of the deck and you're able to look in at the swimmers from the front) and I like the lighting setup (the decklights.)  And the DETAILS  in the Control Room, you should see the maps!!!! Every little detail on the navigational screens.  The windows have double bladed windshield wipers, etc. So that room is detailed.

I have to admit, I'm having a bit of a time trying to find a flow to go from one area to another with Polish's, turning the camera and wandering around trying to find the elusive hallways/stairs is driving me nuts. And part of the hull seems unused, so I am going around trying to see if I have something hidden- otherwise, it's wasted space- or to be practical, space you can fill. I don't think it's supposed to be used, because the stairs poke through from the other side (surprising, given the amount of nit picky details elsewhere. I'll keep exploring and let you know.  EDIT: go down a couple posts, am concerned with this yacht. I am reinstalling before posting, to be sure what I am seeing is actually how this product is, and not user error.  I sure hope I'm wrong. 

For the number of decks, variety of rooms- think Truform. It's more spacious and probably has an easier flow-through. Note the word probably. You can do more with that yacht, simply because it's seven levels. A variety of bedrooms, a weight lifting room, you name it. Polish has really nice outside lounging areas, very creative cockpit with chairs and social area built in there, and the tiny walkway lights all over add elegance. So the outdoor areas look nice.

So bottom line, two totally different approaches. Polish exterior reminds me of a streamlined, "Look At Sleek Me" yacht, whereas Truform seems like a "Get out of my way, the Corporate Big Boy is here."  type attitude yacht. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2017

I think I missed this pic first time around - @Llynara, that is absolutely stunning.  

Llynara said:

I think I'm skipping Olympia 8 for now. I have so many character already, including Olympia 6 and 7, I prefer Olympia 7 and Ophelia 7 to the new gal. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now, not picking up much new stuff. I just can't spare 50 or 60 bucks for a new character that I'm not crazy about. PA and PC+ sales are coming, I'd rather wait. 

Also, there are some incredible characters coming out on Rendo for G3F, G8F and G3M. Check out Mousso, Anagord and Tempesta3D over there. Wonderful and very photorealistic. Sithlordsims has also put out his first character. I've always loved his male renders, and his new guy, Benicio, looks pretty good.

This is Ottilia for G3F by Mousso. And my first book cover that I'll be selling on my website. Much more to come if I can survive summer with the kids! 

Post edited by jakiblue on
    edited August 2017

Okay, regarding Polish's yacht. I have, in five years of showcasing products, never been so befuddled by a product or not wanting to do a review. I have to think- HAVE TO think it is user error, because something with these results wouldn't have been approved and I'm wondering if some of this was even looked at by QA.  I've loaded it twice, and all I can say is this-

I have NEVER wanted to get out of the setting once I've started exploring with the camera. I literally felt frustrated almost everywhere I went, with the exception of the outdoor decks, the cockpit, and the room I rendered.  I tested the doors to that room, they worked, but what appears to be two on the left weren't doors- or at least they didn't have a prop that I could find. So that was the first thing I'd like you to look for.

This yacht (from my experiences, keep in mind) does not utilize space and would never hit the open seas. Not only that, but once you land in that helicopter, good luck, you're stuck in the front of the ship because the stairs LEAD TO THE HULL. (Stairs sticking through other pieces, I might add.) And the hull is one big wasted space. Nothing there. Those huge, beautiful windows you are seeing on the side light absolutely nothing but the hull. (You could turn it into something, except the stairs poke through other things so you'd have to watch your camera angle.)

So, let's see- relax in the sauna or try and leave the cockpit- and down to the hull you go. And, I might add, no other way out. So your guests arrive on the helicopter and you guessed it. Down to the hull they go. (I know, try not to laugh.)   So I HAVE to be missing another way to the back of the ship. See if you can find it. But honestly, if I've tried this for hours and there's no logical progression from the cockpit (which is isolated, door leads only to outside deck) then it doesn't seem like a good layout to me.  And behind the cockpit- nothing. It's not a room, so it's just wasted space. So sadly, that beautiful strip of sloping windows behind the cockpit lights nothing. That section totally blocks your way from the cockpit to the back of the yacht. I tried looking for a door at the back of the cockpit but it's not there, and you'd be in sloping-window-section anyway- which shrinks and looks good only from the outside. (And it does look really good, to be fair.) 

Behind the room I rendered with the bar and pictures on the wall, is the room that has no entry and it's empty. It has clutter sticking through, the paintings from the room I rendered poke through the wall, there appear to be gaps in where planes connect (I rotated the camera and checked) so it wouldn't be usable. And again, a missed opportunity to use the space, it's wasted. 

So I also found some railings float and don't connect, I can't get doors to open (don't seem to be separate props anyway), couch cushions poke through backs of couches, books float, and there's just not a general flow to get from one room to another (there's no way to enter a room)  etc. I reinstalled just to be sure, but surely- SURELY there's something I'm doing wrong. Someone else test this so I can completely erase this review!!!!

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS- If I am not making a mistake with all this- this product gets a failing rating from me. This layout seems poorly executed IMO and I just can't recommend this yacht.

In the front the layout doesn't use 50% or more of the major prop as it should IMO, which was really staggering to me. I didn't even bother to check anything else on the upper decks, or look at any of the lounging areas closely to see if the props are right. I feel the QA on this is sadly lacking.

I'm just ticked off that I've wasted SIX HOURS on this. I wanted to be at the barn three hours ago, and now it's 25 degrees hotter.  I want someone else to confirm my findings, and as always, feel free to disagree with me. Some people may think I am being mean or too blunt, but I had my time severely wasted in conscientiously providing a thorough review and having to explain all these issues. Very frustrating.

I am going to explore that other yacht further, but not anytime soon. I wasted SO much time on this one. I was happy with what I did test from it, and the Truform cars I bought (a LOT of them) were all top notch. 

I'm returning the yacht. 

These are screenshots, I lightened/midtoned them in postwork/etc to do the best I could. I sure as heck wasn't going to render all these, you get the idea.

yachttrouble.jpg
    968 x 743 - 2M
    yachttrouble2.jpg
    804 x 709 - 2M
    yachttrouble3.jpg
    400 x 336 - 801K
    yachttrouble4.jpg
    493 x 477 - 899K
    yachttrouble5.jpg
    1047 x 887 - 2M
    yachttrouble 7.jpg
    991 x 800 - 2M
    yachttrouble6.jpg
    1088 x 870 - 2M
    yachttrouble8.jpg
    1140 x 936 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

Ugh, reminds me of the Winchester Mystery House. Rooms and places going nowhere!

OT:  BTW, mom got an MRI four days ago (they made her wait almost THREE WEEKS to get one, "couldn't get an appointment") and it's so sad. She has compressed fractures with her L1 and L2, and displace osteofragments which will narrow the canal in her back leading to her brain. Also L3/ L4 bulging discs which also pinch nerves and impact that canal with the lower extremeties. With the severe degenerative disease (osteoarthritis) surgery may or may not do anything. Mom declined it. The nurse called me yesterday around 3:30pm to discuss that.

I wanted to mention something my neighbor showed me, in case any of you have back pain. IcyHot has a Smart Relief TENS unit and they come in different combinations, there is a back/knee one and my neighbor loves it. (She fell, had to go to physical therapy, and that was recommended.) It's about $30 and you can find it at CVS pharmacies, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc. The adhesive thingies are reusable. So I'm getting one for Mom today. (TENS break up the electrical pain impulses from the nerves.)  

I'll be typing up my 500,000 posts/views contest later today. Got derailed with that yacht.

My (26 year old) son had heart surgery earlier this month (enlarged heart and a murmur) and he was in ICU for 3 days, regular room for one day and then sent home to recover. 

*Hurricane DestinysGarden breezing out.*

@destinysgarden   Just following up to ask how your son is doing? 

The Half A Million Views contest is now open. The thread is here. Have fun! 

And don't forget to look at your Top 3-5 renders from July. I'll be getting that ready for this thread today/tonight.

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Novica, thanks for your review of the yachts. I was debating which one to get. Now to just wait until Truform goes on sale!

Toonces said:

Novica, thanks for your review of the yachts. I was debating which one to get. Now to just wait until Truform goes on sale!

You're welcome!  I'm still hoping someone else wanders through the yacht and confirms my findings. The last review of it didn't focus on the nice aspects, which were covered earlier, but I know people will take a look at the yacht in its entirety and see if the wonderful pool and lounging areas are enough to buy the product. 

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

I haven't toured the ship in the same level of detail, but I noticed the improbable location of the helipad. No mega-yacht design I've ever seen (and I've studied several) puts it in the bow.

And no yacht of this size and presumed calibre would be without two launches, typically a 28' Donzi or similar (or whatever is fashionable these days) for the privileged, plus at least a Boston Whaler for crew and cargo. Tsk tsk, Polish, I fear you rushed this job.

As for the helicopter, it's a thing of beauty. But I'm surprised that there's no provision for the rotors to spring erect (i.e. flex up rather than down), and no motion blur option available.

Hoping & expecting an update from the PA on this one.

Do you remember Bijou? I received her today! not sure why though... =-))

Do you remember Bijou? I received her today! not sure why though... =-))

I remember her. She's in my Wishlist.

I think I'm a bit green with envy...
    laugh

This discussion has been closed.