Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

MarkR151 said:

Ron Knight from YouTube sent me here. Of course I've been here off and on for nearly 2 years now, but 70 pages of this discussion and his own 10 minute video confirms my hunch about DAZ Install Manager. I downloaded it, but I'm not going to install it or anything with it.

Keep in mid that when he made that video he hadn't learned how to use it.

His latest comment on the DAZ Install Manager.
    "I'm totally thrilled with DIM now. I run it every day looking for new items to be installed. I giggle with delight as I watch the items download and install."

Coldrake

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

It seems that even using the DIM I am still able to categorize all of my content. I had uninstalled some content that I had categorized and when I reinstalled it, it placed the icons in the original spot but they also showed up where I had placed them. All I had to do was remove them from the original placement again.

Now understand that when I mean categorize I mean that I am only creating my own library inside of DAZ and not physically moving any files.

I am doing this by right clicking on an icon and selecting categorize, then creating my own folders to place everything in. I completely remove all references in the default library so when I install anything new it will be the only content within the default library. It makes it much easier to work with that way. Of course it is a process installing one thing at a time, but going to be well worth it in the long run.

Please test this first before taking my word for it. It may not work for you as it has for me. I would hate for anyone blaming me for screwing up everything in their library. This was based upon a one time happening and has not been thoroughly tested. I would hope a moderator would test this to confirm my findings.

I have not read this complete thread so If this has already been discovered and has already been discussed then please forgive me for not taking the time to read through the entire post.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

I haven't seen the You Tube on this, but I have been using it for some time. I figured the ins and outs on my own, there isn't a lot of subtext here. I love it. It's a darn sight better than the new DAZ Site. I wish they would give the Site the same attention they're giving this thing. If anybody knows of a thread to input thoughts and comments about the new daz3d.com, please post it here, because I have about a weeks worth of suggestions.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

MarkR151 said:

Ron Knight from YouTube sent me here. Of course I've been here off and on for nearly 2 years now, but 70 pages of this discussion and his own 10 minute video confirms my hunch about DAZ Install Manager. I downloaded it, but I'm not going to install it or anything with it.

Why did you download DIM if you feel this way? Please, uninstall it immediately and dismiss it completely from your mind. It is not compulsory.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    It seems that even using the DIM I am still able to categorize all of my content. I had uninstalled some content that I had categorized and when I reinstalled it, it placed the icons in the original spot but they also showed up where I had placed them. All I had to do was remove them from the original placement again.

Now understand that when I mean categorize I mean that I am only creating my own library inside of DAZ and not physically moving any files.

I am doing this by right clicking on an icon and selecting categorize, then creating my own folders to place everything in. I completely remove all references in the default library so when I install anything new it will be the only content within the default library. It makes it much easier to work with that way. Of course it is a process installing one thing at a time, but going to be well worth it in the long run.

Please test this first before taking my word for it. It may not work for you as it has for me. I would hate for anyone blaming me for screwing up everything in their library. This was based upon a one time happening and has not been thoroughly tested. I would hope a moderator would test this to confirm my findings.

I have not read this complete thread so If this has already been discovered and has already been discussed then please forgive me for not taking the time to read through the entire post.

Yes, I've been doing pretty much the same, works very well.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Thanks for confirming that Mike.

• william_b25f693951william_b25f693951 Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

A little while back I got a computer that could really handle DAZ. But I have been lax in getting my files installed in the new computer.

So I was very happy to find DIM and and have been happily reinstalling my files using it. But I noticed that some of my files are not listed. Just a few that I have copies of, but I like the metadata included with the new files.

So I am currious about what kind ot things have not shown up missing from your list?

I know of all the files I got on the CD that came with the characters and avatar book (first edition), droid and clockwork familiar.

Now I understand why clockwork familiar is missing. The item was yanked so fast that few of us got it.

But what about the others? That was where I got my V4 and M4 full versions from.

edited December 1969

Maldark said:
    A little while back I got a computer that could really handle DAZ. But I have been lax in getting my files installed in the new computer.

So I was very happy to find DIM and and have been happily reinstalling my files using it. But I noticed that some of my files are not listed. Just a few that I have copies of, but I like the metadata included with the new files.

So I am currious about what kind ot things have not shown up missing from your list?

I know of all the files I got on the CD that came with the characters and avatar book (first edition), droid and clockwork familiar.

Now I understand why clockwork familiar is missing. The item was yanked so fast that few of us got it.

But what about the others? That was where I got my V4 and M4 full versions from.

If you contact Sales Support with proof of purchase they can add those to your account.

edited December 1969

Maldark said:

If you contact Sales Support with proof of purchase they can add those to your account.

What kind of proof would I need?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Proof of purchase of the book, sales receipt, or invoice with your name on it.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited March 2013

You know, sometimes one cannot make overall decisions about how to handle a new process until you get to know how the process really works and that goes for the DIM is well. How I'm dealing with my files has changed since I've learned some stuff.

--You don't know which files have metadata until you install them.

--Most Poser format files do not have metadata. I don't know which way DAZ is going with this.

--You can select all files that have been installed into a specific location
    ie
    path::c:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

--Any file uninstalled goes into the 'ready to download' column, and selecting by install location, of course, is no longer possible. If you have no other way of selecting them, install all the files in the 'ready' column first, or delete them to download again later.

--The DIM log file can teach you a lot besides showing reasons for errors. The log.txt is in the DIM program's folder which is in the same place as My DAZ 3D Library.

--If you're running 4.5 which claims to run absolutely everything and select that as your criteria for files (it's the top one) it will present you only with the DS version of something that has both a DS and PS version. If you also select Poser 9 and/or Poser 9< the DIM will present you with BOTH versions so you can choose between them.

--if you right click in the file area of the 'ready' column you will be presented with a list of all items that will be installed.
    --do this in the 'installed' column and will show you what was installed along with links to click.

--I found that many of the Ps installs (where there's also a Ds file) contain .mc6's where they used to have .pz2's for mat files. These can't be read directly (I don't think) by Studio. (Edit see fixmypcmike below): Studio 4 DOES read .mc6 files directly, though it ignores the shader nodes.)

--CAVEAT do NOT right click in the 'download', 'install', or 'uninstall' columns of their respective tabs. The DIM there treats the right-click the same as a left-click and will do the action immediately. There is no sub-menu to be had within those columns. This has bitten me several times already. (bad, mouse! bad, bad mouse!)

Everything above can influence your decisions as to how and where you install your files.

Older files, especially those without metadata, probably will never again be updated (except to add/remove metadata but I don't know what DAZ is planning to do) so you can more easily choose to install to a runtime or library where you organize your content your way. Why install to your main library and runtime where you should refrain from moving stuff when you won't be able to find them without metadata.

If you're planning to categorize everything anyway that's one thing, but in one runtime I have all my critters, toons, scenes, and props which contains no major figures, no hair, little clothing, no lights, no cameras, I have over 10,000 folders and over 130,000 files (no I'm not counting pngs) and no way in hell am I going to categorize all that, especially since it's already organized.

Or you/I may decide to keep all the DAZ stuff separate from non-DAZ, categorize the DAZ stuff and leave the rest alone. I, myself, have yet to decide how to handle all the DAZ props and scene sets. To be determined.

But I now have a clean, fresh, Library which is My Library again (not My DAZ 3D Library which I used as my original install to location).

Hope this is some use to somebody.

Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

One correction: DS4+ does read .mc6 files, although like .pz2's it ignores the shader nodes.

edited December 1969

Proof of purchase of the book, sales receipt, or invoice with your name on it.

Buoght from DAZ store. Should be in their records.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

One correction: DS4+ does read .mc6 files, although like .pz2's it ignores the shader nodes.

Thanks. That saves a bit of trouble.

I've discovered that with mt5's applied to props I have to change all my conversions to add the first material zone after 'prop' in 4.5. Give some, take some away. Note this is for mt5's I'd already 'converted' to pz2 earlier.

• gheveyghevey Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Now they just need to include Bryce and Carrara content for completeness.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Well - for completeness they'd have to finish converting all the Poser products too!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

And the DAZ Studio Plugins :)

edited December 1969

Oh, adding the programs (DAz Studio, Mimic, Hexagon - so on and so forth) and the plugins and also shaders would be great!

Cheers,

Cliff

• susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
    edited April 2013

Hi guys,

I'm new to all this stuff (Studio, Bryce, Carrara, Hexagon, etc), but in the past few weeks I have spent a small fortune on content for all of these, and am more confused than ever. I was hoping that DIM would be the answer, but it seems to have muddied things even more (for me at least).
    I've watched loads of content management and install videos, read this thread and others, and I really REALLY confused now!

Here's the situation -

Win7x64 with a boot drive (C:\) and a work drive (E:\).
    The 32bit programs like the \Program Files (x86) directory, and the 64bit programs go in the \Program Files directory.
    The content for these programs is scattered all over the place by various errant installers. Nothing appears to be logical or uniform as to how this is done!

Along comes my saviour, DIM, *BUT* this wants to dump stuff in the C:\Users\Public\..... folders. Most other installers have used the C:\Users\Susi\Documents\... folders.

I would like ALL of my content on the E:\ drive as the C:\ drive is a rather small, but super-fast SSD drive. If I put my content on it, it would already be overflowing.
    It seems that I now have content all over the place.

Am I right, having read this thread, that if you want DIM to manage your non-Smart content, you need to install that BEFORE any other content?

I have many hundreds of pieces of content now that have to be installed manually, and a lot get upset because I am trying to install them on a 64bit OS. I have so much content that half the time I don't even know whether I have it installed or not!!

I'm not an idiot. I have been programming and using computers since the late '70s, but this mess has me climbing the walls. Dependencies and directories I understand, but this is just really bad management. On top of this, there are so many 404 errors on the help site that this is starting to look like something dreamed up on the set of Blazing Saddles.

As I *NEED* to put my content on my E:\ drive, what is the best way to do it?
    What's the sequence of installing to follow?
    If I have to reinstall everything from scratch that's OK, I've done it four times already. I'm getting quite good at it. :sick:

BTW, the "My Documents" folder is on drive E: already.

Any help you can offer would be more than gratefully received. I promise.

Best Wishes,
    from a very weary Susi xx

PS
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16099/
    just did my head in :(
    Gone to bed with a huge headache....

Post edited by susibiker on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Click on the little cog icon in upper right corner to bring up the settings options. You can change where stuff is downl0aded and add new path for installation.

• susibikersusibiker Posts: 31
    edited April 2013

jestmart said:
    Click on the little cog icon in upper right corner to bring up the settings options. You can change where stuff is downl0aded and add new path for installation.
    Hi jestmart, and many thanks for the reply.
    However, I think you misunderstood what I meant: I know how to use DIM and change its path(s), the problem I'm having is with the hundreds of pieces of non-metadata content that wants to put itself all over the flipping place. It's driving me potty. So much so that I'm seriously considering applying for the "30 days refund" and buying something else.

I suspect that this disarray has come from "organically-grown programming", and that's OK, but not having a published "official" install tree is just rude.
    I don't want to be on a downer with DAZ software as I really like what has been achieved so far, but I'm losing my patience. I need to do stuff, and continually reinstalling content, searching for it, trying to make sure it's not installed already is wasting a LOT of my working day.

I've always told people to read the FAQs and RTFM, but when those are in more of a disarray than the programs.....?

Edit: -
    I'm going back over the tutorials posted by Jaderail http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=180932 and others.
    I'll get there in the end, just wish it wasn't so disorganised. :roll: :-)

Post edited by susibiker on
    edited December 1969

susibiker said:
    Edit: -
    I'm going back over the tutorials posted by Jaderail http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=180932 and others.
    I'll get there in the end, just wish it wasn't so disorganised. :roll: :-)

You and an awful lot more otheres. I fully believe that the installation chaos that abounds from the almost random scattering of files by different content creators (or even the same content producers as they mature and change things around) is what lead to the design of DAZ's metadata in the firt place - the primary job of said metadata being to make finding things (in DAZ studio, anyway) a whole lot easier.

For stuff that doesn't have metadata though - that's not much help :(

Cheers,

Cliff

edited April 2013

If you have set the paths correctly in DIM the content will not be putting itself all over the flipping place. Content is arranged in a folder structure the programs expects and needs to see. Poser format is much more rigid than Studio format but there is a twisted logic to it. Of course it is important to have the paths to content set correctly in Studio for the program to see and use it right. Lastly as the end user it is up to you to find a way to organize your content so it makes sense, either by the categories function or by creating multiple specialized libraries.

Edited to add:

As usual another post came in as I was slowly composing mine. I am not trying to be an @$$ (it come naturally to me), its just this stuff isn't that hard if you understand a little about how computers and programs works. Furthermore I am not a big fan of the whole metadata thing as it is still relying on someone else idea as to how content should be organized. Lastly (hopefully this time) the metadata and categories need the CMS to work and that is just to flaky at this time, its database too easily becomes corrupted or too many anti-virus and firewall programs view it as threat.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • RonSRonS Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

I agree that the DAZ install and content management system is TERRIBLE - especially for those of us who have thousands or tens of thousands of products - not all of them from DAZ. The sad truth is that DAZ seems to be constantly distancing themselves from the Poser users or the market (in spite of what they say). The DAZ system is totally UNFRIENDLY to products purchased anywhere but DAZ.

Even though the old Poser runtime was rigid, it was also extremely manageable. If I decided to move an installed folder to a new category or sub-folder, Poser just found it anyway. If I do that in DAZ, my entire database is screwed up. IDIOTIC!

edited December 1969

It is not DAZ's responsibility to make an installer for other stores products, bug them about it. DIm is not linked to Studio, it can install to a Poser library once you add that path and be sure to use it when installing. Studio is less rigid about folder/file structure than Poser as long as you are using the Content Library tab. The Smart Content metadata or Categories folder are like shortcuts pointers. If you move stuff to a different location than what the shortcut has of course it is not going to be found.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    It is not DAZ's responsibility to make an installer for other stores products, bug them about it.
    True but they could integrate with already established methods rather than try and re-invent the wheel. I realize that the intent was to make file management easier, but in reality they have made it FAR WORSE for most users.

jestmart said:
    DIm is not linked to Studio, it can install to a Poser library once you add that path and be sure to use it when installing. Studio is less rigid about folder/file structure than Poser as long as you are using the Content Library tab.

It DOES favor Studio because it forces Poser users to look for the runtime folder nested inside a content folder.

The Smart Content metadata or Categories folder are like shortcuts pointers. If you move stuff to a different location than what the shortcut has of course it is not going to be found.

If DAZ just parsed the download folders and install folders for data as required by the user (as Poser does), then it would not matter where the files were placed. It would also be much easier it integrate DAZ products in a file system with other products. There is really no good reason for this Content Management which does not work properly even under ideal conditions.
    here are a few other reason the DAZ DIM system stinks
    - Windows 32 bit version only
    - "Dumps" all files in a single download folder and does not allow for multiples
    - can not be set to download archive files into folders named with the product name
    - designed for DAZ Studio users and unfriendly to Poser users
    - Files are saved and sorted with a prefix that is an arbitrary number rather than the product name
    - info links are to some temporary WIP page instead of the product sale page
    - does not remember DAZ password
    - if files are moved from the original download folder the installer cannot find them
    - What happens when the download folder has more than 10,000 files? (mine does already)
    - What happens when DAZ decides to change their download system yet again and we are stuck with chaos?
    - Cannot multi-select (shift-select) a range of files to download or install - must click each one.
    - Does not work with non-DAZ products or allow integtration with "Poser style" folders.

edited April 2013

Everything I post is my own opinion and does not reflect anything. Seriously, it sucks up more than a black hole does.

RonS said:
    It DOES favor Studio because it forces Poser users to look for the runtime folder nested inside a content folder.

True - and although it's a fairly trivial issue, irritating .

RonS said:
    If DAZ just parsed the download folders and install folders for data as required by the user (as Poser does), then it would not matter where the files were placed.

I'm not at all sure I follow :( Are you talking about content bought from within Poser's "Content Room"?

RonS said:
    It would also be much easier it integrate DAZ products in a file system with other products. There is really no good reason for this Content Management which does not work properly even under ideal conditions.

Well... the Content Management is part of DAZ Studio rather than Poser, and it seems to have been brought about by a desire to allow users to put an organised face on a very disorganised content structure - Poser AND DAZ Studio - created because Content Creators are a willfull bunch and won't put thing where other people want them to be.

RonS said:
    Windows 32 bit version only
    I'm not sure why this is a problem - 32 bit programs can handle some pretty big numbers, I don't see that 64 bit would really offer much benefit - though I could be wrong.

RonS said:
    "Dumps" all files in a single download folder and does not allow for multiples
    Not quite - you can set up multiple install locations.

I wish we could also set up multiple download folders - but that isn't currently catered for.

RonS said:
    can not be set to download archive files into folders named with the product name
    Well, that's part of the previous issue I feel.

RonS said:
    designed for DAZ Studio users and unfriendly to Poser users
    I wouldn't say unfriendly - I'm a Poser user and it's pretty friendly to me. Maybe it's my face - I may look harried enough that it's sympathetic towards me.

RonS said:
    Files are saved and sorted with a prefix that is an arbitrary number rather than the product name

True but if you manage your files with the Download Manager that seems to be largely irrelevant.

info links are to some temporary WIP page instead of the product sale page

Very true and VERY annoying. The whole process of setting up the documention Wikis and indeed even adding content to the list DIM can provide is taking an irritatingly long time :(

does not remember DAZ password

A security feature, apparently. Personally DAZ's whole website has difficulties remembering who I am. This may be on purpose in my case though...

if files are moved from the original download folder the installer cannot find them

To be honest, that's no surprise really. Move the wrong files in Poser, DAZ Studio, Program Files or Windows etc. etc. and things can go badly wrong.

What happens when the download folder has more than 10,000 files? (mine does already)
    I dunno - what happens?

What happens when DAZ decides to change their download system yet again and we are stuck with chaos?
    This is the first real major change since like forever. Some of us have been asking them to drop individual installers and provide .zip files since Adam comped on an apple.

Cannot multi-select (shift-select) a range of files to download or install - must click each one.
    Huh - I hadn't noticed that one. You can, however, right-click on one itema and then select one of the default options - like "Select All" or "Select all tagged for a specific program".

Does not work with non-DAZ products or allow integtration with "Poser style" folders.

You can set up multiple runtime folders for DIM to install to (click the cog in the top right corner of DIM and click the "Installation" tab. click the "+" button to add a new install folder, then choose that folder for whatever files you want to install there. It will remember where it installed them and install any updates to the correct folder).

DIM IMHO has some distinct shortcomings, but for a first release it's remarkably capable and friendly - as far as the available content allows it to be.

All IMHO, of course :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

The content folder is only an issue if you are manually installing files directly from the OS or from another zip utility. When installing from DIM the content folder is ignored, if it wasn't it would be a problem for Studio 4.x users too. Would also like to see multiple download libraries and made a feature request for it.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50175

edited December 1969

Thanks for your answers - they are so obvious I don't know why I didn't thank of them myself - Golly Gee - maybe I have different requirements than you do, do ya think?

I'm really happy for those who find this product so suited to their needs, I guess some folks just love chaotic and arbitrary file systems - - but, why make fun of those who prefer organization to chaos?

Maybe I'm a serious user looking for serious answers. If DAZ had just taken a cue from Taozen and his downloader, they might have learned something - it was so well conceived, simple fast flexible and reliable. It just doesn't work with the new download system. For those whe never tried anything but the DAZ system, your ignorance of what might be possible is monumental.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited April 2013

Hello jestmart,

I am confused about the multiple download folders thingy. Do you mean if we could just pick like 2 dl folders at a time to dl to or for different figures and stuff? I am kind of slow today...lol. I tried looking a the link you provided,but because I don't have login for it I could not view it :-(.

jestmart said:
    The content folder is only an issue if you are manually installing files directly from the OS or from another zip utility. When installing from DIM the content folder is ignored, if it wasn't it would be a problem for Studio 4.x users too. Would also like to see multiple download libraries and made a feature request for it.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50175

This is what my DIM DL Folder looks like:

DIM_Downloads_Folder.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 227K
    Post edited by islandgurl31 on