Golden Rules of Composition V1.5 UPDATE Now LIVE.

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
edited March 2013 in Freebies

UPDATED to Version 1.5

After many promises and much work I now present to you the GOLDEN RULES of COMPOSITION CAMERA PROP v1.5.

-=> Important Note <=-</strong> This Archive contains two sub Zip files and must be Unzipped to a Temp Folder before you can install the version needed for your DS 4.5 setup. Please read the Golden_Rules_ReadMe_First.txt file and the Included PDF tutorial file before you install the Content. Included are Versions for a Default DS My Library and a Version for those using the DIM My DAZ 3D Library.

This is a Golden Rules Overlay Prop for ANY Camera you wish to use as your Render Camera in DS 4.5. It is easy to use and will help any artist set up their Images using several of the Golden Rules of Art. Included in the PDF are instructions to install to your content folder and a Brief Overview of some of the Golden Rules with examples. A Tutorial for the use of the Camera Prop is also included in the PDF.

This is Version 1.5 of this item. It now includes MetaData for Smart Content use and Updated Texture and Material Files.

It can be found here Golden Rules v1.5

If you have any issues or questions please post them to this thread.

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Held for later use.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Whoo-hoo! Thanks oodles!

edited December 1969

Welcome, hope you enjoy using it.

• QuickRQuickR Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much. I have become so used to similar guides in other programs that I have really missed it in Studio.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Something I've wanted for a while, but never seem to have gotten around to putting together.

edited December 1969

Hope you both find it a useful tool. And please report issues or feel free to ask questions in this thread.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    . . . please report issues or feel free to ask questions in this thread.

Minor issue: the plane's selectable in the viewport -- since it's in front of everything else, that means nothing else is selectable when looking through that camera. Turning off its selectability from the Scene tab's an easy fix.
    edited March 2013

Jaderail said:

Minor issue: the plane's selectable in the viewport -- since it's in front of everything else, that means nothing else is selectable when looking through that camera. Turning off its selectability from the Scene tab's an easy fix.Did you read the PDF? That was covered. LOL!!

And thanks for the Feedback. It seems you have it up and working. I'm very happy.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

Minor issue: the plane's selectable in the viewport -- since it's in front of everything else, that means nothing else is selectable when looking through that camera. Turning off its selectability from the Scene tab's an easy fix.

Did you read the PDF? That was covered. LOL!!

And thanks for the Feedback. It seems you have it up and working. I'm very happy.
    Ack! Yes I read it -- I must've missed that bit. :red: Perfect timing though, I was having trouble with the composition of my latest PlatClub Inspirations entry. I installed this, applied it to my render camera, and resized the plane to the render area (the pdf's right, it was easy, and the default settings were just what I needed) -- I could easily see what was off in my pic and adjusted the camera to fix it. The finished render's here, but below I'm attaching the test-render that includes your overlay. Thanks again!
    PCI20130227-Scene04-x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M
    edited March 2013

I'm overjoyed to see it in use. I saw you Render posted and was this close ' ' to asking if you used the overlay. Thank you again for the feedback.

P.S. For other users, the On Off is explained at the top of page 22 if you missed it as well.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

THIS!!!!

OMG.

I love yoU!

I've been using this golden rules backgrounds thing that a good friend got me started with...
    but this is awesome and convenient and excellent! I will DEFINITELY use this and wish i had something like this starting out.
    Bravo for a great tool :) THANK YOU! Thank you very, very much!

edited March 2013

THIS!!!!

OMG.

I love yoU!

I've been using this golden rules backgrounds thing that a good friend got me started with...
    but this is awesome and convenient and excellent! I will DEFINITELY use this and wish i had something like this starting out.
    Bravo for a great tool :) THANK YOU! Thank you very, very much!

very big BLUSH here :red:

Your too kind. And I hope you enjoy it.
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Great stuff, Jaderail !
    Thanks for making and sharing this, much appreciated.

• KalisxKalisx Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Very useful.
    THANKX Jaderail.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oh look he is all growed up now and making big boys toys. :) Hey nice work there Jaderail, seriously great stuff...plus I don't need to make them myself now. LOL

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited March 2013

Jad, I can't thank you enough for this :-) It takes me back to my days as a cameraman :cheese:

Some quick renders of how useful it is on something I'm working on. Working title is "Supplication". Need to add morphs to fix the kneeling figure and have done light and material test in Reality.

Your system improved the composition and that's just an initial use :lol:

Thank you so much for sharing this and you totally rock!

EDIT: The new composition is also much better because it's now composed against a diagonal :-P:coolsmile:

Supplication_improved.png
    1515 x 1212 - 2M
    Supplication_Rule_of_Thirds.png
    1515 x 1212 - 2M
    Supplication_with_grid.png
    1515 x 1212 - 2M
    Supplication_no_grid.png
    1515 x 1212 - 2M
    Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Jad, I can't thank you enough for this :-) It takes me back to my days as a cameraman :cheese:

Some quick renders of how useful it is on something I'm working on. Working title is "Supplication". Need to add morphs to fix the kneeling figure and have done light and material test in Reality.

EDIT: The new composition is also much better because it's now composed against a diagonal :-P:coolsmile:

The first one looks a little unfinshed...almost like you grabbed a still half way through a pan/zoom operation. It's almost there, but not quite...

The second looks like a finished/planned/posed shot...

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Thanks mjc :)

The second isn't finished at all by a long shot; I need to figure out how to make the morphs work so Diana's legs look like they're really bent and then there's the matter of her heels and backside and the boots and the floor of the temple. :-S

I could have her go barefoot, to show respect...

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Just a quick question, and I'm not sure how to phrase it, since I didn't really follow the thread that prompted this much...

Technically, I use the non-DIM "My Library" setup, except I don't call the folder "My Library." Is this going to cause path issues in using this?

edited December 1969

No. As long as you install properly it should work in any DS 4.5 content folder. I just did those two because they are the most common.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Cool. I couldn't come up with a reason why it would, but I thought it would be best to be sure.

Thanks for this! :)

edited December 1969

You have no Idea how it makes me feel when I see people enjoying and using this. And thank you for the examples. The only draw back I can think of now is that everyone will doing great renders. I just made it harder on myself to out do you all. LOL!!
    edited March 2013

Szark said:
    Oh look he is all growed up now and making big boys toys. :) Hey nice work there Jaderail, seriously great stuff...plus I don't need to make them myself now. LOL
    You think so? I'll never grow up Szark but I do enjoy making a nice toy.

AND Thank you all for looking at my little tool.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    You think so? I'll never grow up Szark but I do enjoy making a nice toy.

There's a difference between 'growing up' and becoming mature...my wife says I may have 'grown up'...but that my youngest is more mature.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

LOL funny, too funny.
    edited December 1969

LOL!! Opps... it was not meant that way you silly person.

edited December 1969

Does stop me from having a laugh about it though...you now small things amuse small minds and al that. :)

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for this well thought out and executed aid which I'm sure will prove to be very useful.

The tool size is irrelevant. It's what you do with it......

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Lol. I totally lost track of time this week. Got wrapped up and forgot that I had been wanting this! Thank you so much Jaderail for taking the time to put this together. I can not wait to experiment!

edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:
    Thanks so much for this well thought out and executed aid which I'm sure will prove to be very useful.

The tool size is irrelevant. It's what you do with it......Thank you Dr Stupid. I Tool just fine...

Lol. I totally lost track of time this week. Got wrapped up and forgot that I had been wanting this! Thank you so much Jaderail for taking the time to put this together. I can not wait to experiment!

Enjoy and I hope you find it useful.