Harpwood County coming to Daz Studio... now released [Commercial]

12346»

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Sad said:

the video I did, run through Slomo for second half, yes grainy as was fairly fast but can prob solve a lot of that rendering bigger with less pixel detail then downsizing like I do in Octane, iray is something I still need to get accustomed to finding settings in.

Great animation and lovely music choice with it too!

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    Sad said:

the video I did, run through Slomo for second half, yes grainy as was fairly fast but can prob solve a lot of that rendering bigger with less pixel detail then downsizing like I do in Octane, iray is something I still need to get accustomed to finding settings in.

Impressive

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

Thanks Mate! - Had some Yamahas back in the mid 60's, all street, though. Most of my bikes back then were British, Triumph, BSa, etc, save for one ex-police Harley I rescued and rebuilt  - a 1936 ULH 80 cubic inch flathead..   I do wish there were some easily available good models of bikes from that the 50's and 60's.

hacsart said:

Well...

1st go with it - 12 hour 43 minutes render time - worth it, I think!

Oh wow - memories. I had a friend who used to ride a Yamaha DT200

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

nice video

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

Wendy, you did a nice job making it look bigger.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited July 2016

Wow Sad! You did that on DS/iRay?

Here's my two cents...

Dame's Rocket in first plane is an hommage to Maple Meadows

6000 size in my DA gallery

Howie path 05 redux 2000.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 3M
    Post edited by Jerife on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

Nice angle, Jerife! looks good!

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272

Thanks Kevin. 

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

(One year later) Ha, silly me... I bought it (on sale!) and I tried it a couple of times and my computer quickly crashed and burned. Huh??! Then I found this thread <whew!> so I guess I have some tips and tweaks to try.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...yeah saw it in Fastgrab a few days ago and *bang* in the cart. Haven't tested it yet as I have a couple other projects in the works. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2017

I just got it as well and happily, my computer handles it with ease *phew*. I have to preview in hidden line, but it renders as fast as any of my other scenes. Just remember if you don't use Howie's render settings that you need to change the instancing mode to "Memory" rather than Speed or you will likely crash or freeze DS.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited July 2017

...thanks for the information.  This will be nice for some scenes in my story.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    AllenArt said:

Just remember if you don't use Howie's render settings that you need to change the instancing mode to "Memory" rather than Speed or you will likely crash or freeze DS.

Yes... once I paid attention to this detail I was finally able to render in 3DL!  However for me the results were unsatisfactory - I don't think I have enough computing power to do this. Might have to horn in on my friend's computer which has 8 GB ram and Nvidia graphics! In the meantime I was wondering if it would be ok to take one of the promo images and flip it to suit my needs, and paste my dog in, to make scene something along the lines of what you see here? I would not do anything big (like a run of millions of T-shirts) just a small picture 1,024 pixels wide say. And I am perfectly willing to post appropriate credits and/or metadata along with the picture, eg. "image based on the Harpwood Trail and promo imagery by Howie Farkes, available from the DAZ, www.daz3d.com" etc. Otherwise I suppose I'd have to commission someone to render a high-angle "drone"-like shot for me.

Besides the actual render and the obvious strain on the Viewport pane, one issue for me has been the available lights and render settings. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices in the Content pane in DS, compared to some other models say, eg. other DAZ models... often have many choices of lighting presets, and many camera angles... I'm getting 3 choices at the most... is there a list or manifest of what's supposed to be included in a proper installation, I wonder.

(I have occasionally experienced things that did not seem to install properly, but not a lot and none lately. Thanks, Roman)

unsatisfactory-results-3dl.jpg
    449 x 700 - 98K
    would-this-be-ok.jpg
    434 x 700 - 190K
  • Rae134Rae134 Posts: 49
    hacsart said:

Please, please.. not iray only!

Definitely will be for both 3dl and Iray. In fact the top picture of the forest is 3dl.

This news makes me very happy!  I love Iray but my current computer crashes when I use it so need the 3DL version (I also use Poser so I hope I can work a way of getting it into that even if I have to do my own mat settings :))

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Bought it, now if I can render it without DS getting all twitchy or crashing.   I'll just have to optimize the heck out of my render settings.  I can always render it really huge and then downsize it.

I have the World Gardens Maze for Carrara and it's gorgeous, but took me several hours to render.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Honestly, my laptop doesn't do all that bad with it. I have 16 gigs of ram and a 970M with 6 gigs. I think one could get away with even 12 gigs of ram. Maybe even 8 with a decent, newer processor.

Laurie

You might get away with 12GB RAM but not 8GB I don't think.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2017

Okay, this set is AMAZING and I honestly thought it was VUE or CARRARA only from the look of it and skimmed over it. Much to my pleasant surprise I found it was for DAZ and this blew my mind. Even though I bought it a while ago, I am only now playing with it and I AM AMAZED. It is BEAUTIFUL!

I just want to recap what has been said before for optimization in this thread as I have run into a few issues with attempting to render it in DAZ Iray.

Set “Instancing Optimization" render option to "Memory" (Is this for both IDL and Iray?)

PHILW suggests setting up my figures in advance outside of the Harpwood scene and save that as a scene file and then merging them separately once you open Harpwood to the scene in order to do the final render. This will prevent many lag issues.

Nonesuch00 stated if you are on Windows after you start DAZ Studio you can set CPU affinity for DAZ Studio to use (number of cores - 1) and that will keep DAZ Studio from maxing out you CPU. Unfortunately, os X does not allow you to do a similar thing for os X users.

TangoAlpha suggested drilling down to Terrain 01 -> Ultrascattered Strappy Grass 01 -> Strappy Grass 01 Instances and then under parameters turn Instance Preview off. That'll get rid of 99% of the lag in the viewport.

Can anyone add further suggestions or clarifications for me? :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    RKane_1 said:

Okay, this set is AMAZING and I honestly thought it was VUE or CARRARA only from the look of it and skimmed over it. Much to my pleasant surprise I found it was for DAZ and this blew my mind. Even though I bought it a while ago, I am only now playing with it and I AM AMAZED. It is BEAUTIFUL!

I just want to recap what has been said before for optimization in this thread as I have run into a few issues with attempting to render it in DAZ Iray.

Set “Instancing Optimization" render option to "Memory" (Is this for both IDL and Iray?)

PHILW suggests setting up my figures in advance outside of the Harpwood scene and save that as a scene file and then merging them separately once you open Harpwood to the scene in order to do the final render. This will prevent many lag issues.

Nonesuch00 stated if you are on Windows after you start DAZ Studio you can set CPU affinity for DAZ Studio to use (number of cores - 1) and that will keep DAZ Studio from maxing out you CPU. Unfortunately, os X does not allow you to do a similar thing for os X users.

TangoAlpha suggested drilling down to Terrain 01 -> Ultrascattered Strappy Grass 01 -> Strappy Grass 01 Instances and then under parameters turn Instance Preview off. That'll get rid of 99% of the lag in the viewport.

If you are CPU rendering you might want to turn off maximum render time and be prepared to render 7 days or more. Myself, I just stopped the render after a day & 1/2 or so.

RKane_1 said:

If you are CPU rendering you might want to turn off maximum render time and be prepared to render 7 days or more. Myself, I just stopped the render after a day & 1/2 or so.

Cool! Good tip! :) Thank you, sir. :)

RKane_1 said:

I thought of that, and you could probably do this with simpler models... but with the Harpwood Trail layout how are you supposed to know where everything is supposed to go? Or do you just try and "wing it"...

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2017

Set up your figures pose them and also create a null and parent your figures to it  save that as a scene subset ,it'll merge easier . then you can move the figures together to where you want on the trail ......if you want

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2017

Since the viewport lag issue seems to have reared its head again, here is a retread of some earlier advice.

Cheers,

Alex.

Harpwood Trail Viewport Lag.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 409K
    Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Thank you for the great video.

But for "normal" users rendering (iRay) must be a nightmare.

nonesuch00... that Bewitched avatar is awesome! Did you make it? :)

RKane_1 said:

nonesuch00... that Bewitched avatar is awesome! Did you make it? :)

Yes, I list the products I used to make it on my gallery page for that image. Not one iota of modeling or texture making on my part, just using the different mixer controls in DAZ Studio for the products listed. Some of the products used are from shareCG (Mythcons morphs were crucial to getting a morph that could be mixed to resemble Darren Stephens).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I love this. When it was released I held off getting it for some reason, then forgot to add it to my wishlist, fortunately I saw it in fast grab... so I did.

It's about the old and the constantly renewing; my first car was a mini (old shape) and it was a fair bit older than I was. :)

The old and the renewing.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 1M
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited July 2017

Greetings,

nicstt said:

I love this. When it was released I held off getting it for some reason, then forgot to add it to my wishlist, fortunately I saw it in fast grab... so I did.

It's about the old and the constantly renewing; my first car was a mini (old shape) and it was a fair bit older than I was. :)

That's a lovely scene, and the car seems to fit really well in it!  I love old things (especially old broken-down things) and forests, so this hits a sweet spot for me. :)

I know I shouldn't do this, but...can I suggest a tweak?  Take the camera off the road.  Put it at a spot where there's a few leaves or stems of grass almost right up against the camera in the bottom of the image, set your depth of field so the car (at least the front where the license plate is, and probably the windshield) is in focus, but the trees behind aren't, and the grass/leaves right in front of the camera isn't.  This gives a sense of foreground, which is out of focus because you're looking past it, a mid-scene where your focus is, and a background that is defocused to give the attention to the car.  If it doesn't look good to you, obviously ignore the suggestion, but give it a thought.

I do love the Harpwood County scenes, and Howie Farkes stuff in general; I bought a bunch of it way back when I thought I'd have the mental bandwidth to work in both Carrara and DAZ Studio.  That never happened, so I'm ecstatic that so much is coming to DS!

--  Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2017

I did consider the camera, I just liked it at the default, but I'm pretty sure I'll be revisiting it, well am certain of it.

I modeled something earlier that might work with the scene - I am hoping it will; it was intended to do so.

That's a lovely scene, and the car seems to fit really well in it!  

Thank you.

Took quite a while messing with the car to make the way it sat on the ground was in keeping with the terrain.

Edit:

Oh yeh, and I love tweak suggestions. smiley

Post edited by nicstt on