(Commercial) NOW IN STORE - Sickle Rigging And Morphing System

Comments

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Karth said:
    There is an update available.
    What will that do ?
    Only asking because i have had Trouble with the installing and it ended that i
    had to check everything and move to the correct place

Thanks

From the Docs page:

2013-02-26 - 1.1 - Updated references to be self contained.

So I'm guessing they fixed the issue you were having. :)

• KarthKarth Posts: 709
    edited December 1969

Ah...how cool*g*
    Thanks

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited February 2013

katfeete said:
    Is anyone else having this problem with floor length dresses? This particular render is from Jan19's free Belle Epoch dress, but I've had it turn up on a couple of different ones now. Smoothing doesn't have an effect, and while SubD helps a bit (thank you for that trick!) it's not causing the problem to vanish. And I don't know enough about the Weight Map and Polygon stuff to know whether they'd fix it, much less how. :P

This is with clone. I have attempted to use morph (and gotten the same effect) but I'm not sure I am doing that correctly... or that I can. If I understand it you're supposed to select the V4 body shape as the morph to be matched, and I don't technically have the V4 body shape. I have the autofit clone, but since I never actually used V4 (jumped straight from G3 to Genesis) I never bought the Figure Shapes for that generation.

Anyway, I rarely use floor-length dresses so it's not a huge deal, but I thought I'd ask before I gave up.

I thought I'd check that for you since I have that dress.

Change the smoothing type to Generic and increase the smoothing iterations.

Images: screen grab of settings (Jan19's free Belle Epoch dress); side view at base; quick and dirty render with mat applied...dark edges are caused by over skirt.

la-belle-epoch-with-a-mat.jpg
    736 x 900 - 240K
    SIDE_VIEW.JPG
    594 x 404 - 28K
    belle_generic_smoothing.JPG
    1164 x 843 - 97K
    Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Pixel8ted said:
    katfeete said:
    Is anyone else having this problem with floor length dresses? This particular render is from Jan19's free Belle Epoch dress, but I've had it turn up on a couple of different ones now. Smoothing doesn't have an effect, and while SubD helps a bit (thank you for that trick!) it's not causing the problem to vanish. And I don't know enough about the Weight Map and Polygon stuff to know whether they'd fix it, much less how. :P

This is with clone. I have attempted to use morph (and gotten the same effect) but I'm not sure I am doing that correctly... or that I can. If I understand it you're supposed to select the V4 body shape as the morph to be matched, and I don't technically have the V4 body shape. I have the autofit clone, but since I never actually used V4 (jumped straight from G3 to Genesis) I never bought the Figure Shapes for that generation.

Anyway, I rarely use floor-length dresses so it's not a huge deal, but I thought I'd ask before I gave up.

Images: screen grab of settings (Jan19's free Belle Epoch dress); side view at base; quick and dirty render with mat applied...dark edges are caused by over skirt.

The problem appears to be that the derss is down to the feet, and therefore the feet are being added as bones. A fix would probably simply be to use the Joint Editor tool to delete the foot bones (it's in the Tool Settings pane menu when the tool is active), assuming that's a) the issue and b) there isn't a no-feet dress template (I haven't had tme to install this yet).

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited February 2013

Problem here :(
    Working through manual. Trying to convert a V4 piece of clothing. Everything is great until I get to the part where your suppose to select an SRMDressBase Projection Template. There are no SRDM Templates in the list to select :( So where are they? Where should they be? Any ideas?

Post edited by Strixowl on
    edited December 1969

You did install to My Library, or whatever your content directory is called/ And you installed all of the parts?

edited February 2013

You did install to My Library, or whatever your content directory is called/ And you installed all of the parts?

Yes Richard. I've downloaded and reinstalled to My Library a few times. Yes, I installed the System, the templates and the manual. I did find the templates under People/Genesis/clothing/SickleYield/!SRMS but they don't appear in the Transfer Utility as a Projection Template selection and there is no browse button :cheese:

Post edited by Strixowl on
    edited February 2013

Pixel8ted said:
    katfeete said:

The problem appears to be that the derss is down to the feet, and therefore the feet are being added as bones. A fix would probably simply be to use the Joint Editor tool to delete the foot bones (it's in the Tool Settings pane menu when the tool is active), assuming that's a) the issue and b) there isn't a no-feet dress template (I haven't had tme to install this yet).

There aren't any feet bones. Below is a screen shot of the way the dress is rigged. Maybe, you or someone can see what the issue is by looking at the way the bones are set up. I'm all for a better solution than the generic smoothing answer that I gave since base smoothing gives a better more fitted look than generic smoothing option.

BTW, I tried deleting the shin bone alone and the shin bone and bone above it in the skirt using the joint editor and both gave the same result as if I had not deleted any bones.

la-bell-epoch-joints.jpg
    900 x 803 - 183K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited February 2013

Greetings,

Pixel8ted said:

There aren't any feet bones. Below is a screen shot of the way the dress is rigged. Maybe, you or someone can see what the issue is by looking at the way the bones are set up. I'm all for a better solution than the generic smoothing answer that I gave since base smoothing gives a better more fitted look than generic smoothing option.

BTW, I tried deleting the shin bone alone and the shin bone and bone above it in the skirt using the joint editor and both gave the same result as if I had not deleted any bones.

You're getting this problem after auto-fit/transfer utility, right? Maybe it's adding foot-bones because it's a long dress (down to the feet), and you should delete the foot bones in the post-transferred dress?

I'm stabbing in the dark with a melted spork, here, as I've only just started trying to understand this bone-stuff, but it looked like you were showing the pre-transfer rigging, but having a problem with the post-transfer rigging...

-- Morgan
    [Edit: Instead of stabbing in the dark, I grabbed the dress (hello, freebie!) and tried it out. Hrm. Scratch my theory out. Sorry about that.]

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:

Having the same problem with every floor length dress I've tried. I have looked for foot bones and find none, plus I did try the smoothing tip given earlier on the Queen gown by Cute3D. I raised the iterations to well over 900, the raise wasn't so edgy, but it was still very noticably there. I'm not at home, had to leave for work shortly after, so can't verify problem still exists with other long dresses using smoothing. I've tried using both Clone and Morph settings to no avail. I feel like I'm missing something but can't figure out what.

edited February 2013

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Pixel8ted said:

You're getting this problem after auto-fit/transfer utility, right? Maybe it's adding foot-bones because it's a long dress (down to the feet), and you should delete the foot bones in the post-transferred dress?

I'm stabbing in the dark with a melted spork, here, as I've only just started trying to understand this bone-stuff, but it looked like you were showing the pre-transfer rigging, but having a problem with the post-transfer rigging...

-- Morgan
    [Edit: Instead of stabbing in the dark, I grabbed the dress (hello, freebie!) and tried it out. Hrm. Scratch my theory out. Sorry about that.]

Yeah, that was pre rig. Post rig like you've probably found...no toe bones either.

Post rig bone joint editor screen shot.

After-conversion.jpg
    900 x 798 - 182K
    edited December 1969

Is the jagged area a bit that hasn't been adjusted? The reshaping part of the AutoFit/TranserUtility has to cut off at some point and it's another possibility that those areas are just beyond the border of effect - in which case they would still be the same shape as the unmodified dress. Try loading that, and switch to wireframe view.

edited February 2013

Is the jagged area a bit that hasn't been adjusted? The reshaping part of the AutoFit/TranserUtility has to cut off at some point and it's another possibility that those areas are just beyond the border of effect - in which case they would still be the same shape as the unmodified dress. Try loading that, and switch to wireframe view.

Here are several mesh views after the conversion.

Also screen grab of conversion settings used with transfer utility.

settings-used.jpg
    477 x 571 - 82K
    mesh.jpg
    1211 x 989 - 640K
    edited December 1969

Strixowl said:

Yes Richard. I've downloaded and reinstalled to My Library a few times. Yes, I installed the System, the templates and the manual. I did find the templates under People/Genesis/clothing/SickleYield/!SRMS but they don't appear in the Transfer Utility as a Projection Template selection and there is no browse button :cheese:

Does anybody have any ideas? Getting very frustrated. How do I get some help on this issue?
    I don't really want to return it. I want to use it. :cheese:

edited February 2013

Strixowl said:
    Strixowl said:

Does anybody have any ideas? Getting very frustrated. How do I get some help on this issue?

Did the install add SRMS items to the data folder?

templates_are_in_data_folder.JPG
    762 x 566 - 73K
    edited December 1969

Pixel8ted said:
    Strixowl said:
    Strixowl said:

Did the install add SRMS items to the data folder?

Yes Pixel8ted all of the SRMS in your pic are installed where your pic shows they should be :(

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Instead of using the clone: victoria4 in the Source Item shape use Morph (search for victoria4 among all the morphs in the pop up window) instead.
    I found that if I did that and then kept the Smoothing levels to around 5-6 and saved the dress my conversions no longer had the jagged areas in the conversions.
    It took me several days to figure it all out but now I am able to use it and have learned to transfer morphs between all my Genesis dresses now.

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited February 2013

OK this is very cool. I love how it does so much better in not just the shoes but the crotch area of pants too.

Quick question though, what template do you recommend for pants or bodysuits that include shoes? The one set I really want in Genesis is Uzilite's The New Adventure and The New Adventure Continues.

If I choose the right shoes, the pants or body suit don't work well. If I choose Bodysuit the shoes don't work well.

Post edited by BTLProd on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

How do I keep getting unsubscribed from my own product threads? I'm not hitting the unsubscribe button. I missed ten or so posts because I wasn't getting notices. It doesn't appear repeatable and it only seems to happen on long threads like this one and the old MBS thread. :p Sorry, folks, I'm not deliberately ignoring you.

I'm working with Strixowl via PM on his/her issue. It appears to be particular to that system or installation.

The templates end at the ankle and wrist. They're not going to work on pieces that combine pants plus boots or gloves plus anything. At that point you need to use Genesis sans template for conversion.

When the dress is very long you should use Morph Victoria4 rather than Clone (this is mentioned in the manual, but I can see how you could miss it), This is especially so if the sleeves are short (morph sometimes causes issues with long sleeves). I got the attached result with Belle Epoch doing this, and it's also what I did with the QOH pic I showed a ways back.

Epoch.jpg
    600 x 601 - 178K
    edited December 1969

I've tried both Clone and Morph V4, but will try again once I get home from work.

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

When the dress is very long you should use Morph Victoria4 rather than Clone (this is mentioned in the manual, but I can see how you could miss it),

I did miss it, or at least didn't quite understand what I was supposed to select from the rather intimidating list that popped up when I selected "Morph" (I, ah, may have gone overboard with the morph packs for Genesis ;) ). It doesn't help that there are two things listed as "Victoria 4" in the morphs list, one which (after being selected) loads as "Clone V4" and the other of which loads as "FBM Victoria 4". The Clone is just the Autofit again, the FBM is what you want to fix anything.

... or so I'm positing after loading a V3 dress with the same issue as the Belle and running various conversions on it, since as mentioned I never bought the V4/M4 Shapes for Genesis. :P Ah well, no V4 long dresses for me until I have another $20 to spend. But on the bright side I've learned a lot in the trying!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:

When the dress is very long you should use Morph Victoria4 rather than Clone (this is mentioned in the manual, but I can see how you could miss it),

I did miss it, or at least didn't quite understand what I was supposed to select from the rather intimidating list that popped up when I selected "Morph" (I, ah, may have gone overboard with the morph packs for Genesis ;) ). It doesn't help that there are two things listed as "Victoria 4" in the morphs list, one which (after being selected) loads as "Clone V4" and the other of which loads as "FBM Victoria 4". The Clone is just the Autofit again, the FBM is what you want to fix anything.

Actually, there's a way around dealing with the fearsome list of morphs when you're dealing with V4 and M4 transfers.

1) Load Genesis

2) Dial up the Victoria 4 shape to 1.0 -- JUST Victoria 4, no other shapes.

3) Do the Weight Mapping for whatever you're transferring on the Scene tab (or however you do it) as usual.

4) When you open Transfer Utility, instead of using either Clone or Morph, use CURRENT. Your Transfer Utility screen will look as it does in the attached image once you've made all the selections.

As far as I understand what Studio is doing, when you invoke the full shape, you actually invoke the FBMVictoria4 morph anyway, so telling Transfer Utility to use the Current shape is more or less the same thing as telling it to use the Morph. (...More or less. It works, anyway.)

(Hey, I figured if it worked for Wancow's OBJ method, it would work for this. And it does! Usually!)

TransferUtility-CurrentVictoria.jpg
    528 x 712 - 116K
    edited March 2013

Hey, cool. I didn't know that one myself. :-) All this time I'd been wondering what that setting was for.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yea, when I was rigging my boots I made I used "Current" for getting them fitted and rigged to just the Genesis base figure and follows along with MOST of the other Genesis morphs. Current is a great option in the Transfer utility and I never used it until dealing with rigging an obj to Genesis.

edited December 1969

Two things. 1. Victoria 4 is listed twice in Morphs for me and may be for others. That's what my problem was, I was choosing the first one I found. 2. vwrangler's tip worked perfectly for finding the correct morph. I even tried it on Lady Littlefox' Snow Bride gown. (the orge looks wonderful in it);-)

edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    Two things. 1. Victoria 4 is listed twice in Morphs for me and may be for others. That's what my problem was, I was choosing the first one I found. 2. vwrangler's tip worked perfectly for finding the correct morph. I even tried it on Lady Littlefox' Snow Bride gown. (the orge looks wonderful in it);-)

Yay!

edited December 1969

KinnieM said:
    Instead of using the clone: victoria4 in the Source Item shape use Morph (search for victoria4 among all the morphs in the pop up window) instead.
    I found that if I did that and then kept the Smoothing levels to around 5-6 and saved the dress my conversions no longer had the jagged areas in the conversions.
    It took me several days to figure it all out but now I am able to use it and have learned to transfer morphs between all my Genesis dresses now.

Oh, Yes!!! That fixes the issue. I'm super glad I threw in that settings screen grab now otherwise I'd still be trying to figure that one out.

edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    katfeete said:

Actually, there's a way around dealing with the fearsome list of morphs when you're dealing with V4 and M4 transfers.

1) Load Genesis

2) Dial up the Victoria 4 shape to 1.0 -- JUST Victoria 4, no other shapes.

3) Do the Weight Mapping for whatever you're transferring on the Scene tab (or however you do it) as usual.

4) When you open Transfer Utility, instead of using either Clone or Morph, use CURRENT. Your Transfer Utility screen will look as it does in the attached image once you've made all the selections.

As far as I understand what Studio is doing, when you invoke the full shape, you actually invoke the FBMVictoria4 morph anyway, so telling Transfer Utility to use the Current shape is more or less the same thing as telling it to use the Morph. (...More or less. It works, anyway.)

(Hey, I figured if it worked for Wancow's OBJ method, it would work for this. And it does! Usually!)

Awesome tip!

• edited December 1969

Is the dress rigging template for a long, full dress? Is there any chance you have tutorials or a demo video I can have a look at? I have already purchased one rigging product that hasn't been all that useful to me so would like more info before purchasing this one. The skirt handles in particular have me stumped, no clue how to do them in Studio 4.5.

edited March 2013

The manual is included. I don't do video tutorials because one, I don't like them (they're a good learning experience but a terrible reference medium) and two, I don't have a good mic or video editing tools to make them useful and coherent.

Here's the text version of the rigging instructions from the manual:

----

This first method is intended for use when you have an unrigged mesh that you have created for use
    with Genesis.

Import the .obj of your item into DAZ Studio. Load the Genesis figure. Make sure your item is the
    right scale and is positioned correctly for use with Genesis. For this example I am using a short dress
    mesh.

Now click on the Transfer Utility icon.

Select Genesis as the Scene Item under Source. Select your unrigged clothing item as the Scene
    Item under Target. Click on the Show Options button to expand the dialogue. Here you can see the
    Add Smoothing Modifier option. If you are creating clothing, you usually want to check this. Now
    click on “Projection Template.” You will find the SRM templates under “bodysuit” and “dress.” Since
    this is a dress, choose “dress” and select “SRMdressbase.”

For shorter tops and pants, you will select “bodysuit” and “SRMbodysuitbase,” as shown with this
    blouse. Use the dress template for anything long enough to need handles.

It will take a minute or more to run the transfer after you click “accept” on most systems. This is
    because the Transfer Utility is moving all of the FBMs from the template into your new clothing item.
    This is extremely important:

Do NOT dial on morphs or apply poses before you have saved to library. Save your item to library
    using File—Save As—Support Asset—Figure/Prop Assets. In the dialogue that pops up, make sure
    you use your own screen name under “Vendor Name” and the name of your product under “Product
    Name.” You may change the item name also if you wish. Make a note of what you use here, because it
    determines where your product's data files are located. They will be under My
    Library/data/VendorName/ProductName.

You may then delete the item from the scene and reload it from the library. If you attempt to pose
    or morph it before doing this, you will get inappropriate morph and pose artifacts.

----

Attached is a picture of the dress template. It is itself fitted, but it will work fine to rig fuller skirts; while I heard others hypothesize that areas beyond the template borders would not be rigged, this is in fact not the case in my testing. As long as you select the SRMDressBase template in TU while rigging, it will add skirt handles for you automatically.

DressTemplate.jpg
    903 x 903 - 189K
    Post edited by SickleYield on