Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited May 2017

this was the krampus  https://www.daz3d.com/krampus-original-figure

workin on a backstory for a space pirate.  thought this be a keewl ne'er do well

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Agreed! yes Great looking monster!

scary doesnt mean it has to be gross.

those crook bak bog thingies in witcher3 sooo disgusting.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

Right. Sound can make cute little kids seem scary!

Krampus fur loads when loaded by itself, but Krampus doesn't >.<

doesn't bend, needs the blended conversion.

krampusfur.JPG
    751 x 643 - 80K
    edited June 2017

the blended treatment worked on the fur smiley

krampus his self giving an error message, sad

pastafazool  omg.  won't load.  better than crash but doesn't load.
    but the fur is no problem.  

narrowed it down to the fingers.  something in the finger nodes don't want to load in rara.

turned out to be the formulas in the fingers in the .dsf file causing the load fail.  not sure exactly why it didn't like those formulas.  

converted the krampus figure, fur, rigged accessories to Blended.
    deleted the formulas from the finger nodes in the krampus_.dsf file(data folder)

krampus fur blended.JPG
    833 x 547 - 73K
    krampus error.JPG
    799 x 640 - 124K
    Krampus blended.JPG
    1008 x 670 - 126K
    krampus s.png
    640 x 480 - 94K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited July 2017

The latest Mars Rover in the store doesn't work in Carrara at all....

nil... nothing... dead!

Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    Stezza said:

The latest Mars Rover in the store doesn't work in Carrara at all....

nil... nothing... dead!

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models can always go here instead

Thanks Wendy, I have the Curiosity one from Renderosity which doesn't pose in Carrara but at least you can move stuff manually... this one can't even do that!

I shall have a look at the one you mentioned over at NASA yes

edited July 2017

do you see the shdow bones moving?  mebbe needs the ole blended conversion

Tried all the tricks Misty.... it's a dud sad

Returned it...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That's interesting, maybe it was the ERC controls? I was planning to use ERC in my current WIP. I might have to rethink that . . .

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2017

That's interesting, maybe it was the ERC controls? I was planning to use ERC in my current WIP. I might have to rethink that . . .

I don't think ERC itself should cause any issues in Carrara - all that's doing is creating a pose dial that controls other dials and that's existed forever (since DAZ Studio 4.0.3.47 according to the documentation center). The two-headed flail freebie I made a week or so ago uses ERC for some of the dials (the pose dials that bend both chains at once or all of an individual chain) and it loads and works fine in Carrara.

Unless the creator did something "advanced" that I haven't gotten to yet. wink

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Okay, so further investigation needed. I'm still at the modelling stage so it isn't something I need to drop everything over.

edited July 2017

Maybe it's something with the weight maps like Misty suggested. I've been using just general weights when rigging because I've only been doing hard-surface props so far and didn't need anything more complex.

Hmmm... I wasn't planning on buying this but it's showing up as only $8.31 for me, I have an unused $6 coupon I can apply to it, and I can always return it... I'm tempted to buy it now just to see if I can get it working. It might be a good learning project.

there must be more than one way to create erc.

it was the erc in Krampus causing it not to load in carrara.

but genesis 3 has erc formulas and they works.  

new dragonsie has geoshells.  not even gonna try >.<

edited July 2017

Hmmm... I spoke too soon. I thought I had tested the ERC controls on my flail, but I just doubled checked and they actually do NOT work in Carrara (still work perfectly in DS though). I can grab the individual parts and rotate them, but the pose controls I created don't do anything in Carrara. So I guess I was wrong about that!

I can confirm Stezza's experience with the Mars Rover too - not only do the control dials not work, but grabbing individual bones and moving them doesn't affect the mesh at all in Carrara. Converting the weight maps from general to TriAx and then resaving as a support asset DOES allow manually grabbing and moving the parts of the Mars Rover, but the ERC controls still don't work.

I'll play with it some more later this week and see if I can figure it out.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    edited July 2017

Crystal Dragon. You need to apply the pose twice, once on the Dragon 3, then once on the DragonCrystals.

I also replaced the DAZ Crystal shader with a Carrara Crystal then adjusted the colour.

Crystal Dragon.png
    1921 x 1040 - 693K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

actually unparenting the crystals from the dragon was all that was needed for me

th3Digit said:

actually unparenting the crystals from the dragon was all that was needed for me

Use Wendy's method as it works better !!!!

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

New user here. I just bought Carrara today, and of course the first thing I tried out was one of my favorite figures, Minotaur 6. Naturally it didn't work--and Carrara hangs up if I go to the Object panel while the minotaur is selected.

I tried to learn all I could about Carrara before buying it, and I've been lurking on this thread a while, but I only just found Misty's comment about being unable to get the minotaur to work.

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Wacky Geografts.PNG
    1262 x 542 - 163K

1 workaround is to make the geografts into a regular conforming figure., like the minotaur legs into boots

there's different ways to do it.  
    my method is to edit the dsf file, delete the 'graft' section under the geometry_lib,
    though there prolly a gui way to do it inside ds.
    smiley
    what would we do without text hacks lol

edited July 2017

Ooh! So you did get it working? That's exciting!

BTW, I also bought Janette & Jonathon from the dreaded other store. I haven't checked out their read-me files yet, but I may be back soon with questions about how to use them for the Toon Generations family.

Post edited by Inkubo on
    Inkubo said:

Ooh! So you did get it working? That's exciting!

BTW, I also bought Janette & Jonathon from the dreaded other store. I haven't checked out their read-me files yet, but I may be back soon with questions about how to use them for the Toon Generations family.

Janette and Jonathon tutorial by Misty.

http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/genesis-3-in-carrara-tutorial-series-by-misty-lara/

i hid his eye goobers with transparency, doesnt quite look right yet

Are the Millenium Environment/Multiplane Cyclorama things good to use in Carrara?

Are they small backgrounds you'd want to use for still scenes, or large enough that animated characters could move around a bit?

A lot of cool looking things like https://www.daz3d.com/magic-falls are available really inexpensively, especially with PC+, but I haven't bought any of them because I figured the environment/cyclorama items were for 3Delight renders.

edited July 2017

You can use the ME/Multplane Cyclorama's and their various textures in Carrara without issue (as usual, you may need to play with the shader a bit for best results).

It sort of defeats the purpose of having a great environment creator like Carrara in the first place, but they certainly work, load and render quickly, and look pretty good if you are in a rush or just don't want to create a whole scene background yourself. I've got them all plus some extra free textures I've picked up here and there and I think they still look good considering their age.

They are a pretty decent size in the scene (I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't check, but I seem to recall that they are around 6-7 meters high and about the same deep and wide) and you could have some movement within them if you are careful with camera angles but they are really designed like mini movie mattes with a couple fake-3D elements, and only really look good from a small arc directly in front, so they work much better for stills. Think of them as more like theater stage sets than real environments and you get a good idea of how they work.

I actually use them often for short simple animation in both Carrara and DAZ studio

because they are like a stage set

The main issue is making sure the topless trees do not cast shadows on the backdrop

OK, great! And I thought of another question... I've set Install Manager to hide Poser stuff and only download the DS versions of items I buy. In Carrara, would using the Poser versions make things load and work easier, or do you have the same shader struggle no matter what?