Here and Now! indecision

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Mistara said:

Thanks. I needed this.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    Mistara said:

what is real life?

Here and Now! indecision

BIg ol moon way overhead and bright enough to throw the sharp-edged umbra of poles and wires and bare-branched trees across asphalt streets and up the slopes and sides of concrete towers in an often kinda spooky shadow play :)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063

We had the full moon out last night...at least it looked pretty full.  It was through tree branches that I got a glimpse, so not sure.  Sunny again today.  Supposed to rain on Tuesday.  We went from rain, rain, rain, to sunny and hot for a stretch.  Of course, we had flood warnings the other day...but it wasn't as bad as they said, not in my area, anyway.

Dana

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Quite cool here a little after sunup

45.png
    216 x 173 - 14K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2017
    DanaTA said:

We had the full moon out last night...at least it looked pretty full.  It was through tree branches that I got a glimpse, so not sure.  Sunny again today.  Supposed to rain on Tuesday.  We went from rain, rain, rain, to sunny and hot for a stretch.  Of course, we had flood warnings the other day...but it wasn't as bad as they said, not in my area, anyway.

Dana

Do you have full moon at the same time as we do,  Cos tonight is full moon night for us.   And there it is all big and bright and shiny up there in the sky.     I love living in an area wh=ithout too much light pollution,  the night sky is pretty.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Here only the major constellations break through the orange glow of Tescos!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2017

The Brecon Beacons National Park, which is where that photo was taken, was granted "Dark Sky" status a while back.  We live in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons. (1200ft we are)  The highest mountain in the Beacons is Pen y fan at 2,907 ft, so it is not really a very high mountain area, but it is very scenic.

http://www.breconbeacons.org/about-brecon-beacons-dark-sky-reserve

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Here only the major constellations break through the orange glow of Tescos!

Well then, stop setting fire to it.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

fresh anita blake novel to read smiley

anita and jean-claud engaged  oscar mike guld

anita started out as a necromancer, now she's a succyoobus, a panwere who cant change shape, and she has the vampire power of 'animals to call'.

thick paperback will take a few days to read

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    Chohole said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Do you have full moon at the same time as we do,  Cos tonight is full moon night for us.   And there it is all big and bright and shiny up there in the sky.     I love living in an area wh=ithout too much light pollution,  the night sky is pretty.

Pretty much the day will be the same but of course the time when it is night and you can see it will be different. So you might see the full moon as much as 12 hours before or after another part of the world.

edited July 2017

Complaint: Updated my USB support in my main computer that I use for DS and now it crashes to BSOD continually. Then  I messer up even more and disabled USB supprt in the Bios when I was trying to corrected it. So, now I have no USB input and of course no control of the computer

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139

I'm out in the country and our little town only has 8 blocks on one side of the creek and four blocks on the other.  When I was using my little telescope (back in the early '60s) the sky was pretty dark and there were lots of stars because we only had 5 sodium vapor streetlights in town.  The rest were ancient incandescent lamps that lit a little spot directly underneath them but that was about it.  Now however, despite the town not growing at all we have probably about 25 sodium vapor lamps in the town, not to mention the well lit intersection with the Interstate-86 highway that passes by one mile south of town and all the various farms around us that now have sodium vapor lamp lighting.  So, I have noticed that the stars don't seem quite as obvious as they used to even after I got my cataracts fixed.

I do remember camping out hundreds of miles out in the middle of Australia back in '95 and being dumbfounded at the number of stars. surpriseyes

Chohole said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

It wil be later in our sky than in yours, but it should still be the same phase, just about.  The Moon comes up about 50 minutes later each night.  I caught a video once that was sort of like a time lapse, but was actually individual images showing the Moon in the same spot but different times.  It looks like the Moon is swaying, well not really swaying - maybe twisting, back and forth, and because of the motion it takes throughout the year, we actually get to see a little more than 50% of its surface.  It was pretty cool to watch.

Dana

Complaint: Updated my USB support in my main computer that I use for DS and now it crashes to BSOD continually. Then  I messer up even more and disabled USB supprt in the Bios when I was trying to corrected it. So, now I have no USB input and of course no control of the computer

Does it have the old style keyboard connector?  I keep at least one of those keyboards around in case something happens to my USB keyboard or the USB subsystem.  An old mouse, too.  Just in case.  Haven't needed them in many years, but I keep them around, just in case.

Dana

I'm out in the country and our little town only has 8 blocks on one side of the creek and four blocks on the other.  When I was using my little telescope (back in the early '60s) the sky was pretty dark and there were lots of stars because we only had 5 sodium vapor streetlights in town.  The rest were ancient incandescent lamps that lit a little spot directly underneath them but that was about it.  Now however, despite the town not growing at all we have probably about 25 sodium vapor lamps in the town, not to mention the well lit intersection with the Interstate-86 highway that passes by one mile south of town and all the various farms around us that now have sodium vapor lamp lighting.  So, I have noticed that the stars don't seem quite as obvious as they used to even after I got my cataracts fixed.

I do remember camping out hundreds of miles out in the middle of Australia back in '95 and being dumbfounded at the number of stars. surpriseyes

When we vacation in New Hampshire, we always try to go down the Kancamagus Highway at night.  At the Pemi Overlook, we stop and shut the car off and just look up through the moonroof.  Sometimes with my binoculars, the Milky Way is so amazing up there.  It's like a sheet of sparkly material.  You can't even see space between them there are so many stars visible!  My binoculars are 7 x 50, with a field of view of 372 feet at 1000 yards.

Dana

Mistara said:

what is real life?

What is real?  Life?

What is?  Real life?

What!  Is real, life?

What, is real life.

indecision

i hear will shatner's voice narrating. smiley

though, for narrating my 1st choice would always be morgan freeman 

edited July 2017
    DanaTA said:

Does it have the old style keyboard connector?  I keep at least one of those keyboards around in case something happens to my USB keyboard or the USB subsystem.  An old mouse, too.  Just in case.  Haven't needed them in many years, but I keep them around, just in case.

Dana

There is one of the old style PS2 connector ports but I don't have any of those keyboards, Anyway, I'm going to have to send it out and have the Bios reset and then see if they can get it to boot without the BSOD. I'm just hoping it's just software and I haven't ruined my motherboard. Anyway, it was an expensive computer and I'm pretty anxious about it.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    DanaTA said:

Dana

There is one of the old style PS2 connector ports but I don't have any of those keyboards, Anyway, I'm going to have to send it out and have the Bios reset and then see if they can get it to boot without the BSOD. I'm just hoping it's just software and I haven't ruined my motherboard. Anyway, it was an expensive computer and I'm pretty anxious about it.

You should look around for a keyboard first.  If you have any small computer shops around, they may have a few hanging around that they couldn't sell...you might be able to get one cheap.  It would be good to have it around, even if you do end up sending it out.

Dana

edited July 2017

When I lived in Florida, I lived on the central east coast in Melbourne.  I often made motorcycle trips to Orlando in the center of Florida about 65 miles away.  The road between Melbourne and Orlando (US-192) goes  east-west through river plains, swamps and cattle ranges all dead flat and unpeopled for about 50 of those miles.  On the nights coming back from Orlando and still about 30 miles away from Melbourne I could see the glow of the coastal cities from Cocoa Beach 20 miles north of Melbourne to Palm Bay 20 miles south of Melbourne.  The sky directly overhead was pretty dark and starry but the eastern horizon was obscured by the glow of the unbroken line of coastal cities.  And of course behind me the lights of the Orlando metropolitan area obscured the western horizon. 

Unfortunately, in Florida it's often so humid and dewey at night that the stars are sometimes dimmed out by the moisture in the air.  Although sometimes overhead out in the swamps, or standing on the beach looking east out over the Atlantic ocean on dry nights they are amazing.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

paperback much more comfy to hold than hardcover

Complaint:  I just got a warning from my NortonSecurity that it has found and quarantined a file on my computer.  It says it found it using heuristic algorithms (educated guesses).  Upon further examination I determined that it had found a file on my "Archives" disk in my old "Downloaded Applications" folder.  The file has been there, unchallenged, since 2006 and was in a copy of a zip file of NortonAnti-Virus that I downloaded from Norton 11 years ago. surprise  Me thinks they are "the pot calling the kettle black". frown  But perhaps it's safe now for me to delete that file?

Complaint:  I just got a warning from my NortonSecurity that it has found and quarantined a file on my computer.  It says it found it using heuristic algorithms (educated guesses).  Upon further examination I determined that it had found a file on my "Archives" disk in my old "Downloaded Applications" folder.  The file has been there, unchallenged, since 2006 and was in a copy of a zip file of NortonAnti-Virus that I downloaded from Norton 11 years ago. surprise  Me thinks they are "the pot calling the kettle black". frown  But perhaps it's safe now for me to delete that file?

That's funny!  It's calling an older version of itself unsafe!  laugh

Dana

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

You should look around for a keyboard first.  If you have any small computer shops around, they may have a few hanging around that they couldn't sell...you might be able to get one cheap.  It would be good to have it around, even if you do end up sending it out.

Dana

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

You can still buy them new. I have wired board and mouse on two of my computers because I got tired of the Great Battery Hunt, as well as the Great Mouse Hunt. The only wireless I have are on the computer that gets put to sleep instead of being turned off, as accidentally hitting a key won't wake the monster.

Petercat said:
    DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

DanaTA said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Dana

You can still buy them new. I have wired board and mouse on two of my computers because I got tired of the Great Battery Hunt, as well as the Great Mouse Hunt. The only wireless I have are on the computer that gets put to sleep instead of being turned off, as accidentally hitting a key won't wake the monster.

I use the Logitech Performance MX mouse.  No need for a hunt for a special type of battery...it uses a standard NiMH rechargeable battery.  And it can be recharged while still in use.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited July 2017
    DanaTA said:

Dana

...yeah was last night.  Saw one fender bender and three cyclists nearly taken out by inattentive motorists all in the same block within about a 30 min time span.  Don't know why, but people here seem to drive extra stupid during a full moon.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...here in Portland they replaced all the sodium vapour lights with these new LED ones. The bad part is they leave really deep shadows outside their light cones and the contrast caused by the garrish white light they produce is so terrible that shadows seem even darker until your eyes can adjust properly.  I've taken to carrying am electric torch with me when walking at night so I can see uneveness in the pavement (which is chronic in many areas of the neighboruhood) before it trips me up.

edited July 2017

..saw this on the store page scrolling banner....

Sharknado!!!!!

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991

Boonies here so the night stars are always bright (at least when it isn't overcast). Unfortunately stargazing makes my vertigo unbearable. sad

This discussion has been closed.