Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited February 2013

Here is a portrait like image done with the sample blonde hair and 3 point UberArea lights. Render time was about 10 hours. This was done using shaders for all the areas on the advanced section of the hair surfaces.

The one thing I learned tweaking all the quality settings is good results with the Garibaldi hair requires pixel sample size of at least 16. I was surprised because previously I have only used values like that for DOF effects, which I am not using here. The shading rate was 0.2 and the samples was 32 on the UberArea lights. I also set the ray trace depth to 8, but I'm not sure that did anything.

blonde_ua_portrait_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 545K
    Post edited by mark128 on
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Something I have been playing with over the weekend that I think has turned out ok :)

i am really loving this plug-in as it allows me to craft hair suited to my render rather than just cycling through endless streams of unrealistic hair models hoping something won't look too bad... and I must admit that I have found it really quite stable and very easy to learn and use - so I love it!!

This is just the sample wearable tweaked into a longer style that has a bit of flowing movement as the figure snaps her head around to stare seductively at an unseen presence.

These days I postwork my renders quite a lot but I still appreciate the realism I get with GH in the original renders... and I think it translates well with the treatment I use.

:)

Beguiling_Allure-s.jpg
    1326 x 1999 - 304K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Really Nice!

edited December 1969

I changed the setup a little bit. Moved the fill light on axis so it is directly behind the camera. I like the result better.

The lighting is from 3 UberArea light planes. The key light is camera left and slightly above. The fill light is behind the camera. The accent light is camera right and from the rear.

Given how much the on axis filled improved the image, I am tempted to try butterfly lighting next.

blonge_ua_portrait_02.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 548K
    edited December 1969

I have finally succeeded in producing a portrait I like with blond hair using Deep Shadow Mask lighting. The render time was 3 min as compared to 13 hours with the UberArea 3 point light example above. This is done with 3 point lighting also, but the UberArea lights were replaced with either Linear Point Lights or Spot Lights. I used deep shadow masks and set the shadow softness to 20%.

One problem I had been having with the Deep Shadow Mask lights was when I got the skin properly illuminated to get a good image, the sample blonde hair was hopeless blown out. When I turned the light down to properly expose the hair, the skin was dark and underexposed. To get this image, the main thing I had to do is turn down the diffuse and specular strength of the Garibaldi hair in the surfaces tab.

Under Ambient & Diffuse, I set "D Intensity" to 0.25

Under Primary Specular, I set "R Intensity" to 0.25

Under Secondary Specular, I set "TRT Intensity" to 0.3 and "G Intensity" to 0.4

The deep shadow mask lighting does not quite rise to the level of reality of the UberArea lighting, but for 3 min render time vs 13 hours it is very close.

blonde_sm_portrait_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 517K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Two different feels, but both very nice!

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Mark for a 3 minute render that is great. I would be curious to see how it looks if you turn ray traced shadows on for one or two of those lights. I generally use 1 distant and 1 or 2 point lights with ray traced shadows on the distant and one of the points. It is generally a lot longer than the shadow map render but I usually prefer it. I also set the shadow softness up a little.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Hey James - sent a PM with a couple things.

Kat

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    So How do I change this setting...I uninstalled the previous .14 version and I expected the menu to choose the video card options but it never came up again...Which .Dll do I delete to reset this option...?
    There is a option in the Edit menu of the Garibaldi Editor to open this Dialog Box at any point.

mjc1016 said:
    I had an interesting thing happen two days ago...I rendered to a RIB and then rendered the result in the standalone 3Delight....and the hair color changed.

I would recommend you set the rendering mode to 'RAM Cache' in the garibaldi node parameters if you are using the RIB export in Daz Studio. Some features of the 'Disk Cache' mode are not supported in the export mode. Note if your applying a RIColor the Garibaldi RICurves set a 'Cs' primitive variable that will over write it.

The deep shadow mask lighting does not quite rise to the level of reality of the UberArea lighting, but for 3 min render time vs 13 hours it is very close.

If you want to get a result closer to the UberArea setup your using with deep shadows then some things you could try are:
    * Lower the lights shadow bias to the lowest without creating render artifacts.
    * Increase the shadow opacity in the garibaldi material (General->S Opacity).
    * Use spotlights to control the resolution of the deep shadows to certain areas.

If you want to speed up your render with uberlights without lowering the settings in the lights you can try:
    * Set the hair transparancy off (set General->Opacity to 1.0).
    * Lower the amount of hair strands. This can be done quickly by reducing the hair render percentage parameter on the Garibaldi Node (Rendering->General->Render Percentage). This should make a big difference, halving the hair amount will cause the render time to far more then half.

Hey James - sent a PM with a couple things.
    Questions answered.

edited December 1969

mark said:

If you want to get a result closer to the UberArea setup your using with deep shadows then some things you could try are:
    * Lower the lights shadow bias to the lowest without creating render artifacts.
    * Increase the shadow opacity in the garibaldi material (General->S Opacity).
    * Use spotlights to control the resolution of the deep shadows to certain areas.

If you want to speed up your render with uberlights without lowering the settings in the lights you can try:
    * Set the hair transparancy off (set General->Opacity to 1.0).
    * Lower the amount of hair strands. This can be done quickly by reducing the hair render percentage parameter on the Garibaldi Node (Rendering->General->Render Percentage). This should make a big difference, halving the hair amount will cause the render time to far more then half.

Is there documentation anywhere on the surface pane settings for the garibaldi hair. When I turned down the intensity of the garibaldi hair so I could get reasonable skin tone without blowing out the hair, I was just guessing what parameters to change.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

I made a little furry bunny. This plugin is really so much fun :)

Nikolausi.jpg
    870 x 1105 - 174K
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Must be an Angora rabbit - that's a lot of hair! :-)

This is fun, isn't it?

Anyway, here's a simple shoulder length hair - just because. :-)

ShoulderLength.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 316K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Must be an Angora rabbit - that's a lot of hair! :-)

This is fun, isn't it?

Anyway, here's a simple shoulder length hair - just because. :-)

lovely

edited December 1969

So, I took the ponytail hair I made a few weeks ago and made the tail a wee bit longer. :lol:

LongPonyAction.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 109K
  • fairyfantasticfairyfantastic Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

how do u save the hair wen u have finished making it pleasex

edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:
    how do u save the hair wen u have finished making it pleasex

After you have created your masterpiece hair, go to the scene tab and rename the hair node to something with a bit more zing. Besides, it will make life easier after you've built up a library of hair and have more than one loaded onto your character.

Now move the hair node up to the root node of your character so that it becomes a child node of the character. Check in the parameters tab to make sure the hair is "fit to" your character.

With both those actions complete, select your character and go to File->Save As->Wearable(s) Preset. A save screen will open (default is Genesis content->Figures). Use that location or navigate to where you want to save and give it the name of the hair. A new dialog will open showing all the nodes that can be saved. Uncheck everything but the hair (if there is anything else) and save.

You now have a wearable asset you can load to any compatible figure but you will have to access it through the Content Library tab.

Good luck.

edited December 1969

thnk u gone ivs saved it so i dont forget it xx

edited December 1969

well ive had a play in ge and this is wat i did i find it a very good program and love it need to play more and learn how to use lights

pock_n_goth2.png
    802 x 580 - 351K
    pock_n_goth.png
    802 x 580 - 281K
    edited December 1969

has any one had there v14 not work mine says i have to register it how do i do tht please

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

fairy_37 said:
    has any one had there v14 not work mine says i have to register it how do i do tht please

you can't have to wait for new beta I guess

edited December 1969

thnks hun

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

OK, so I've created a beautiful hairstyle, long, curly, and styled it for a Genesis character laying down. Successfully exported as an .OBJ, but every time I try to import back into DAZ, I get the error message below. Could this be because I'm working on a 4 year old laptop with only 4GB RAM? Been meaning to increase my RAM, but haven't had time or money lately.......

Import_Error_2.jpg
    280 x 345 - 27K
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071
    edited December 1969

Hm. The newest upload, once it's installed, doesn't show up in Studio anymore since I deleted the previous installments. I kept getting the "Can't find the xxx.dll" error, as well.

I'll try again to download and install.

edited December 1969

Garibaldi is now in the store!

PurpleHair.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 272K
    edited February 2013

Gone said:
    Garibaldi is now in the store!

That's right. They're been a lull since the Beta Program ended but Garibaldi Is back and better than ever!
    Thanks for everyone out there who have been patiently waiting.

Check out the new fourm topic at:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/

Post edited by futurebiscuit on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Just a question:
    Installation Notes:
    Following successful installation of the 'Garibaldi Express' Plugin enter your serial number when prompted on starting 'DAZ Studio'.
    After successfully entering your personal 'Garibaldi Express' serial number restart 'DAZ Studio' to begin.

There is NO additional activation, right? *looks hopeful*

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    There is NO additional activation, right? *looks hopeful*

No complicated activation. Just a simple serial number (in your Daz Account 'My Serial Numbers' page).
    You can optionally register your email to receive future planned free 'goodies' but it's all up to the customer.

But this is a great chance to start a new clean topic, Any new questions should be directed at:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/

• KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

What is the license details about number of computer per purchase and same ownership?

Sometimes I have to split render work across to a few other computers.. DAZ Studio doesn't support render farm -- what I usually do is have other computers to render different frames.

• withgoodmanwithgoodman Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

very good Garibaldi.

cartoon08_700.jpg
    700 x 1167 - 159K
  • UHFUHF Posts: 512
    edited December 1969

Will this work with Reality\Lux?

This discussion has been closed.