StormLyght's Render Adventures

StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
edited June 2017 in Art Studio

Hi!

So...It's a huge step and a little scary for me to create my own art thread even though I've been posting to my gallery pretty regularly in the past six months. Having this though will force me to post more frequently. I will be doing my best to share something weekly, which will be a challenge for me but one I'm willing to attempt. Please feel free to comment and provide constructive input. 

So to start off my very first post in this thread, I want to feature @RawArt's wonderful Princess Ali II. I haven't tried to transfer her morphs yet but I did use her skin on the new Genesis 8 Female. I'm very happy on how to she turned out. Yes, I know she's not albino in this render, the lighting I chose warmed her skin up a lot. 

Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Moonlight Stories

Post edited by Stormlyght on

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Welcome to the Art Studio.  Nicely done.  I like your render.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

Hi,

Thank you @Knittingmommy!

Trish

edited June 2017

Hi,

Here's my weekly post on a WIP with @Rawart's Princess Ali II. I'm using her texture/skin on Genesis 8 with @AprilYSH's new Perrin hair. It has several bones for posing the braid, definitely a good purchase!

I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do as a finished render featuring my version of Princess Ali but that's half the fun of creating art in my opinion smiley.

June2017_Princess-Ali-Test-G8.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 622K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited June 2017

Welcome to the Art Studio!  Lovely portrait and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your WIP.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

That looks really nice, I like her red eyes ( but then I'm on a red eyes trip...) those eybrows almost look like they are fibremesh or something and not just painted on the face map.

Thank you @IceDragonArt! I think I finally have a direction I want to go with her.

@Linwelly, thank you! I really like her red eyes too smiley As for her eyebrows, those are @Zev0's fibermesh eyebrows for his Molly character. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thanks a lot for pointing out the eyebrows origin, I never looked closely at Molly as I don't have much use for teens, so I never notices that eybrow option there, very nice!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Hi,

Here's my weekly post on a WIP with @Rawart's Princess Ali II. I'm using her texture/skin on Genesis 8 with @AprilYSH's new Perrin hair. It has several bones for posing the braid, definitely a good purchase!

I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do as a finished render featuring my version of Princess Ali but that's half the fun of creating art in my opinion smiley.

Very beautiful! Welcome to the Art Studio! 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Ah, another Art Studio addict in the making. Welcome! 

I really like the hand coming forward, it draws the viewer in very nicely. Constructive comments- and this is the product, NOT your render-  do you have a graphics program where you can paint details on the render? If you look at your Perrin Hair, that last section on our left chops off very bluntly. Adding a few strands (softness 85% to 100%) (and transparency 95% or so, depending on your program) can add some strands and that will soften the edges. Hair like that drives me NUTS, it's waaaaay too stiff IMO, particularly when compared to the other side which flows.

I like the muted lighting and the sheen on her face. Nicely done!

Llynara said:

Very beautiful! Welcome to the Art Studio! 

Thank you at @Llynara!

edited June 2017
    Novica said:

Ah, another Art Studio addict in the making. Welcome! 

I really like the hand coming forward, it draws the viewer in very nicely. Constructive comments- and this is the product, NOT your render-  do you have a graphics program where you can paint details on the render? If you look at your Perrin Hair, that last section on our left chops off very bluntly. Adding a few strands (softness 85% to 100%) (and transparency 95% or so, depending on your program) can add some strands and that will soften the edges. Hair like that drives me NUTS, it's waaaaay too stiff IMO, particularly when compared to the other side which flows.

I like the muted lighting and the sheen on her face. Nicely done!

Hi @Novica!

I think I'm probably already an Art Studio addictsmileyIt's my favorite place to visit in the forums; it's gotten to the point that I rarely visit the other categories.

I truly appreciate the feedback on the render! I use Photoshop or Corel Paint (it depends on what I want to do with the image) for post-processing. For the hair, I tried @PhilW's new shader and I think it really improved the look of the braid. I'll post something later this evening.

Trish

Edit: Here is another test render (I stopped it about 75%) with the new hair shader. I agree it will still need some correction in post-processing if I decide my figure in my final render will be wearing Perrin hair.

Princess-ali-with-new-hair-shader.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 123K
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Hi!

So...It's a huge step and a little scary for me to create my own art thread even though I've been posting to my gallery pretty regularly in the past six months. Having this though will force me to post more frequently. I will be doing my best to share something weekly, which will be a challenge for me but one I'm willing to attempt. Please feel free to comment and provide constructive input. 

So to start off my very first post in this thread, I want to feature @RawArt's wonderful Princess Ali II. I haven't tried to transfer her morphs yet but I did use her skin on the new Genesis 8 Female. I'm very happy on how to she turned out. Yes, I know she's not albino in this render, the lighting I chose warmed her skin up a lot. 

Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Moonlight Stories

She looks so real and you did a great job on the lighting

edited August 2017

Hi!

Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Moonlight Stories

She looks so real and you did a great job on the lighting

Thank you! Now if I could just replicate this again. I lost the file due to corruption and have been unable to recreate the image.

Trish

edited September 2017

I haven't had much time in the past couple of months to do renders, day job has consumed most of my time recently. However, I was able squeak in a render on the last day of August. I may have gotten a little carried away with post-processing but I had fun with it, so that's what counts in my book smiley.

The first image is the original render. The second image is the post-processed version, using Adobe Lightroom. Be sure to click on the images to view the larger version if you're interested. Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Raw Image of Dragon Render

Raw Image of Dragon Render

dragon-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    dragon-2-smaller-web.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Both versions look really great.  Love the evilish grin, lol.  Looks like it is camoflaged like a salamander.

• Both versions look really great.  Love the evilish grin, lol.  Looks like it is camoflaged like a salamander.

Thank you @Worlds_Edge. I debated on doing post-processing because I really liked the lighting in this render. I used a HDR for lighting and one side spotlight to open up the shadows and that was it.  

Trish

• I like both as well but I think the post worked one has just a bit more oomph if you know what I mean.

edited September 2017

FINALLY! I've had a moment to play with "Precious." I thought I'd try the unicorn first. It's only a test render and I need to tweak the lighting but I really like it.

Trish 

Precious-Unicorn-Test-1.png
    773 x 1000 - 701K
    edited October 2017

I continue to play with my PA sale purchases. Attached is my test render of Genesis 8 female with 65% Stephanie 8 and 35% Josie 8 (used the morphs only). I did small tweaks on the mouth and eyes but for the most part this is a blended character. I used Xanthe for Stephanie 8 texture.  Thanks for visiting!

Trish

Stephanie and Josie 8 blended character

stephanie-josie-test-0.png
    773 x 773 - 735K
    edited October 2017

Duplicate Post

edited October 2017

I know my Art thread is mostly portraits but I really do render other things! With that being said, here's another test render (portrait) using SC Alieta Spryte materials and Rarestone's Morphs on Genesis 8. I left areas on her face intentionally blurry as I tried out some different DOF camera settings. What do you think? Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Image of Genesis 8 with Alieta Spryte materials

alieta-spryte-on-genesis-8_full.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1007K
    edited October 2017

Hi,

I'm working on a "spooky" render and wanted to show my work in progress. I haven't yet decided which one I will post-process.

Opinions are welcomed! Be sure to click on the images to see the larger version of each one. Thanks for stopping by.

Trish

Render 1:

Render 2:

Render 3:

Render 4:

untouched.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    blue-tone.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    color-toned.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    warm-toned.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M

I left areas on her face intentionally blurry as I tried out some different DOF camera settings. What do you think? Thank you for visiting!

Trish

Image of Genesis 8 with Alieta Spryte materials

I ADORE the DOF on both sides. That can be a very tricky thing to do, nicely done!!!! One shoulder being blurred and the other one not blurred really works well. The chin points to the blurred shoulder so the face really stands out. Artistic!

Hi,

I'm working on a "spooky" render and wanted to show my work in progress. I haven't yet decided which one I will post-process.

Opinions are welcomed! Be sure to click on the images to see the larger version of each one. Thanks for stopping by.

Okay, you did a no-no. It appears she is stabbing the horse with her sword. Rotate the camera to your right.

• Novica said:

I ADORE the DOF on both sides. That can be a very tricky thing to do, nicely done!!!! One shoulder being blurred and the other one not blurred really works well. The chin points to the blurred shoulder so the face really stands out. Artistic!

Thank you @Novica! I needed that feedback. I really appreciate you taking a look.

Trish

• Novica said:

Okay, you did a no-no. It appears she is stabbing the horse with her sword. Rotate the camera to your right.

OH!! You're right. Thank you! I guess I've stared at the image much to long. I'll fix it. No stabbing your allies! wink

Trish

edited October 2017

Updated picture without the horse looking like it's being attacked by the woman with the sword. I took @Novica advice and moved the camera. I think I might do some different post-processing on this image. Be sure to click on the image to view it full-size. It looks better that way. Thanks for visiting!

Trish

unlikely-allies.jpg
    2388 x 1440 - 2M

I really like the moon showing over the castle walls, and this position is much better than stabbing the poor horse.  Although, it might not cause this particularly horse much damage lol. 

• I really like the moon showing over the castle walls, and this position is much better than stabbing the poor horse.  Although, it might not cause this particularly horse much damage lol. 

Thank you @IceDragonArt! Yeah, you're right it wouldn't likely injure this particular horse it would just make it little more ornery than it already is blush

Trish

Yes, well, one want to make sure it stays on one's side, no need to irritate it lol.