Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    I'd like to add another feature request (please accept my apologies if there is already a way to do this....) -

Having just installed a few hundred POSER based products into a dummy runtime and then moved them into my usual Poser runtimes (which are separate to my DS runtimes), I then found that on opening DS 4.5 Pro there were lots of orphaned icons in Smart Content relating to these products. I realise this was because I moved them, however I wasn't expecting smart content to be processed for Poser products anyway. I then had to reset the database and re-import metadata, since the 'clear orphans' doesn't ever seem to work properly.

I was dismayed to find the listed metadata included all the Poser products I had just installed and didn't want in my DS smart content, since I use those products mainly in Poser, plus all the PCFs. I had to go through the list un-ticking hundreds of metadata files that I didn't want to be re-run, a time-consuming and very frustrating process. While I love the speed with which DIM downloads and installs, two features would be invaluable for me, and maybe other artists who use both Poser and DS separately, and would like to keep it that way.

* I would like to be able to choose NOT TO INSTALL metadata for Poser-related products, including Poser Companion Files, as one of the options in DIM.

* Also it would be nice if there was a way to filter out unwanted metadata with one or two clicks when reimporting it into DS.

Hope one of the techs can look into this, or advise me if there is already a way to do this. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

DIM, unlike the old installers, automatically enters the metadata into the CMS database. If you don't want metadata for items you plan to move after install, TURN OFF the CMS before you install them, then turn the CMS on again before you install anything you want metadata for.

In Windows you can find the command in the start menu, all programs, scroll down to DAZ 3D, click on it and you should find DAZ Content Management Service. Click on that and the commands to turn it off and on are there. I don't know how to do it on the MAC.

I do like you and install Poser content to a dummy folder then move into another. The tricky thing is to remember to turn the CMS off and on again. Make it a habit.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm not very technically inclined when it comes to installation, but after poking a bit around the forums and YouTube, I decided that it would be reasonably safe to use DIM for newly purchased content which I haven't downloaded yet, and then I realized it was a pretty easy thing to simply delete all those installers for products I've downloaded but never got around to installing yet...so THAT is a great convenience as the old installation process was a pain. Now I can actually get my old content installed that I downloaded but never found the time to install.

I still can't quite get my head around having to manually uninstall everything I've installed yet before reinstalling...but I'll likely have a week or two before I have time to consider doing that. Maybe someone will come up with an auto uninstaller! [please!!! :)]

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

OK there an update for the people have for brute-X for genesis
    This should make Wolfy happy
    xenic101 has fixed the eye problem which effected genesis close eye pose
    So a big thank you to him !
    14414_BruteXForGenesis_1.2_trx

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited February 2013

Ryuu, you don't have to install content to the default location. I have all my content folders on a separate drive.

Yes that is a good idea, specially if you have hundreds of items. All content on a separate drive, only the content on it.
    Easy management and better performance, specially for long tracks like V4's full specifs Powerloader.
    And if the drive is a physical one, it's a turbo, finally if the physical drive is an SSD, you'll feel like spiderman. :)

Another tip I'm testing: I have a LOT of old stuff V2 K2 V3 A3 (That does not mean they are not good) that I use very seldom, if ever, so I am using Dim for fast reinstalling it on so called "Vintage GranMa wardrobe" or "Old attic" directories, all being located on a drive not the same as this of the current content: so after several re-arranges, when I feel having lost the Ariane's red thread, this backup will not be involved in the "Scan drives for content" wizzard.

Post edited by LocusSolus on
  • LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

:red: I feel discouraged from downloading Dimension Theory's Skies-of-Terra for Reality because DIM announces a huge 479.9 Mb large file, while the D|S version uses 66Mb only on my content drive.

Imho there must be a biiiig asteroïd included in the "Reality" version!

:) Well, let's live dangerously...

http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-terra-volume-one

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Yea, update appeared in the DIM yesterday. Downloaded and installed! :-)

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Cymbidium said:
    I'd like to add another feature request (please accept my apologies if there is already a way to do this....) -

Having just installed a few hundred POSER based products into a dummy runtime and then moved them into my usual Poser runtimes (which are separate to my DS runtimes), I then found that on opening DS 4.5 Pro there were lots of orphaned icons in Smart Content relating to these products. I realise this was because I moved them, however I wasn't expecting smart content to be processed for Poser products anyway. I then had to reset the database and re-import metadata, since the 'clear orphans' doesn't ever seem to work properly.

I was dismayed to find the listed metadata included all the Poser products I had just installed and didn't want in my DS smart content, since I use those products mainly in Poser, plus all the PCFs. I had to go through the list un-ticking hundreds of metadata files that I didn't want to be re-run, a time-consuming and very frustrating process. While I love the speed with which DIM downloads and installs, two features would be invaluable for me, and maybe other artists who use both Poser and DS separately, and would like to keep it that way.

* I would like to be able to choose NOT TO INSTALL metadata for Poser-related products, including Poser Companion Files, as one of the options in DIM.

* Also it would be nice if there was a way to filter out unwanted metadata with one or two clicks when reimporting it into DS.

Hope one of the techs can look into this, or advise me if there is already a way to do this. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

DIM, unlike the old installers, automatically enters the metadata into the CMS database. If you don't want metadata for items you plan to move after install, TURN OFF the CMS before you install them, then turn the CMS on again before you install anything you want metadata for.

In Windows you can find the command in the start menu, all programs, scroll down to DAZ 3D, click on it and you should find DAZ Content Management Service. Click on that and the commands to turn it off and on are there. I don't know how to do it on the MAC.

I do like you and install Poser content to a dummy folder then move into another. The tricky thing is to remember to turn the CMS off and on again. Make it a habit.

Thanks for the tip, Spit - I'll try that for future installs! :)

I know DIM uninstalls/reinstalls very quickly - but since I moved them already I wouldn't be able to uninstall them without reinstalling them, if you see what I mean (since they're no longer in the original install location). (I think I'm confusing myself here......lol!) Does uninstalling with CMS turned on make DIM correctlly remove the relevant metadata? Then if I wanted to have DIM handle those poser based files I would have to reinstall them again with the CMS turned off? Hope I'm making sense here. :)

Finally, is there any way to manually edit the database in the CMS?

edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

I know DIM uninstalls/reinstalls very quickly - but since I moved them already I wouldn't be able to uninstall them without reinstalling them, if you see what I mean (since they're no longer in the original install location). (I think I'm confusing myself here......lol!) Does uninstalling with CMS turned on make DIM correctlly remove the relevant metadata? Then if I wanted to have DIM handle those poser based files I would have to reinstall them again with the CMS turned off? Hope I'm making sense here. :)

Yeah you're making sense. However, there's a file in the top level of the install folder named InstallManagerFileRegister.ini. If the CMS is off when you install, nothing goes in there. I don't know what that file is for because I've uninstalled from my temp folder anyway and it seemed to work. It may hold info about metadata. I really don't know.

So I think you could install there again with the CMS on then uninstall as you suggested. That might work though I'd back up the CMS folder just in case.

As for manually editing the database there doesn't seem to be a direct interface for that. But I'm not the one to ask about that. I don't understand that end of the process much at all

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2013

Cymbidium said:
    Spit said:
    Cymbidium said:

While I agree with your concerns about Poser's exclusive files showing up in Smart Content, and I am doing my request in the Bug Tracker to DAZ address this issue, I think you don't need make your work more hard than necessary.

Turn on/turn off the CMS not seems the best way to workaround the problem. I am just deleting the Poser files references in Content Library's Product entry preventing that they show up in Smart Content's pane. Deleting the files references does not affect the files themselves, just remove them from the Product's entry in the Content Library. More recent products don't have metadata in their Poser Companion installers, so it means that DAZ is addressing the issue. Good for us!

Anyway, there are a problem with files uncategorized. They will not show up in Smart Content's or Categories pane, but you will get all those files in the Unassigned category if you use "Scan Know Directories for Files..." option. Well, I never used that option, but a lot of people use it.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

Ebajoy said:

I still can't quite get my head around having to manually uninstall everything I've installed yet before reinstalling...but I'll likely have a week or two before I have time to consider doing that. Maybe someone will come up with an auto uninstaller! [please!!! :)]

Unistalling all the old exe files...that was one part i really did not wanted to do manually, what you could do:

-Use winrar or a similar program to create one big archive of the content folder.
    -Put that big zip/rar file on a back-up disk or some safe place.
    -select the content folder.
    -put you're finger on the delete button on you're keyboard.
    -Close you're eyes and press down.

Do not think about what you just did, but immediately start-up DIM and enjoy seeing every thing installed with a few mouse clicks :-). And if something is not right you just can unpack you're backup to restore them.

(The only negative part about this way, i also had to reinstall all my non-daz content, but after some experiments with DIM decided that this was a good time to clean up all my content folders)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

Yes, if you uninstall with DIM it removes the entries in the database as well.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Cymbidium said:

Yeah you're making sense. However, there's a file in the top level of the install folder named InstallManagerFileRegister.ini. If the CMS is off when you install, nothing goes in there. I don't know what that file is for because I've uninstalled from my temp folder anyway and it seemed to work. It may hold info about metadata. I really don't know.

So I think you could install there again with the CMS on then uninstall as you suggested. That might work though I'd back up the CMS folder just in case.

As for manually editing the database there doesn't seem to be a direct interface for that. But I'm not the one to ask about that. I don't understand that end of the process much at all

InstallManagerFileRegister.ini keeps track of files that are installed by more than one .zip. For example, if several of a vendor's products use the same reflection map, and you install 3 of them, the .ini file will show that that particular reflection map has been installed 3 times. That way. if you uninstall one of the products, DIM knows that there are 2 other products that need the file and won't delete it.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    Ebajoy said:

Unistalling all the old exe files...that was one part i really did not wanted to do manually, what you could do:

-Use winrar or a similar program to create one big archive of the content folder.
    -Put that big zip/rar file on a back-up disk or some safe place.
    -select the content folder.
    -put you're finger on the delete button on you're keyboard.
    -Close you're eyes and press down.

Do not think about what you just did, but immediately start-up DIM and enjoy seeing every thing installed with a few mouse clicks :-). And if something is not right you just can unpack you're backup to restore them.

(The only negative part about this way, i also had to reinstall all my non-daz content, but after some experiments with DIM decided that this was a good time to clean up all my content folders)

Thanks, I've been considering this option...but was hoping to hear if others try it and survive first ;-P

On the plus side, for some reason, I have historically loaded all my non-Daz purchased items into a separate location, so I wouldn't have to worry about reinstalling Non-DAZ stuff.

Have others been doing the "oh heck let's just delete it all rather than uninstall" option? If so, how has it worked out?

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited February 2013

A related request...

I'm clean installing into multiple runtimes (Genesi, A3/V3, A4/V4, H4/M4, etc) and I'm not sure what alot of the files are for, when I click the info button and it brings up the wiki page, could you eventually add what figure each of the clothes and hair were designed for. The hair is particularly hard to figure out. Right now you click the info button, then click to go to the actual Store page, it seems (to me) that infomation should be in the wiki.

I really like the install manager, I have found stuff that I have never installed. :-)

Now I can throw away the old messy runtimes (I can't uninstall because they were created on a Mac and moved over to a PC)

edited for clarity

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited February 2013

Ebajoy said:

Thanks, I've been considering this option...but was hoping to hear if others try it and survive first ;-P

On the plus side, for some reason, I have historically loaded all my non-Daz purchased items into a separate location, so I wouldn't have to worry about reinstalling Non-DAZ stuff.

Have others been doing the "oh heck let's just delete it all rather than uninstall" option? If so, how has it worked out?

Well I kinda did it but it was by accident. :lol:
    I survived.

I actually DID do all that uninstalling (over 600 files and it took hours) but as it turned out it was time wasted. You see I thought erroneously that when I had added a new install directory it would automagically be picked up as the one I wanted to install to. I know better now.

So DIM installed all the content I had selected to install into My Library into My DAZ Library instead. I guess I could have at that point told it uninstall everything it had installed but I thought what the heck, just go with the flow. So I hooked up that new Library path into studio and moved it to the top and unthethered My Library.

Everything in Studio actually worked smoother than before but I still have to hand install all the non-DAZ stuff I had though it's not too much.

Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

I tried to edit last message but it wouldn't let me.

I want to add cause I think it's important:

Before I set the DIM loose, I had wiped out the database. I wanted it clean beforehand. I reset the database, uninstalled CMS, deleted it's folder in Product Data on c:, uninstalled then reinstalled Studio 4.5 (which re-installed CMS).

So since the path of the library I actually installed to was different from My Library that turned out to be prescient.

If you have very little in My Library and haven't moved anything around it would probably be okay to install directly in there. But it isn't recommended. But if you do as suggested above, archive it all then hit delete, then be sure the DIM installs to My Library you should be fine.

But emphasis on archive because you may need the 'data' folder or DIM may have missed something you had before. blah blah

edited February 2013

Spit said:
    Cymbidium said:

Thanks for all the help. I tried uninstalling some poser files that I had already moved from the dummy runtime DIM installed to - and it worked, without me having to reinstall them first!! :) I then reinstalled them with the CMS turned off. Haven't yet checked in DS to see what's going on there. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to manually edit the database anyway.....

While I agree with your concerns about Poser's exclusive files showing up in Smart Content, and I am doing my request in the Bug Tracker to DAZ address this issue, I think you don't need make your work more hard than necessary.

Turn on/turn off the CMS not seems the best way to workaround the problem. I am just deleting the Poser files references in Content Library's Product entry preventing that they show up in Smart Content's pane. Deleting the files references does not affect the files themselves, just remove them from the Product's entry in the Content Library. More recent products don't have metadata in their Poser Companion installers, so it means that DAZ is addressing the issue. Good for us!

Anyway, there are a problem with files uncategorized. They will not show up in Smart Content's or Categories pane, but you will get all those files in the Unassigned category if you use "Scan Know Directories for Files..." option. Well, I never used that option, but a lot of people use it.

Thanks for the tip, but I have thousands of Poser based files, though I've only installed a few hundred with DIM so far - it would take me quite a long time to delete all those file refs in DS. Seems to me that it would be better still if the software techs could provide the options suggested, and without too much further delay. ;) Don't know if they've been messing about with the site relating to DIM operations, but I found earlier on that there were no available downloads in the Manager interface....I had over 3000 there last night when I signed out. Hopefully that was just a temporary glitch, and they will reappear later on. *fingerscrossed*

Post edited by Cymbidium on
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

Yes, if you uninstall with DIM it removes the entries in the database as well.

Well, that's a relief....! :) Thanks for all your help, Mike!

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Anybody else got a problem with downloads not showing up? I logged on this morning and it's only showing the 618 products I've installed so far. I have over 2000 that were showing up previously...

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Anybody else got a problem with downloads not showing up? I logged on this morning and it's only showing the 618 products I've installed so far. I have over 2000 that were showing up previously...

I've seen several threads today about problems (with the site), and also had some problems with the store. maybe DIM is also experiencing problems.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17506/

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    Pendraia said:

I've seen several threads today about problems (with the site), and also had some problems with the store. maybe DIM is also experiencing problems.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17506/

Thanks! That was what I was thinking it probably was...didn't want to put in a bug report unnecessarily. I'm not in any hurry I can wait a little while for it to come back on.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    Don't know if they've been messing about with the site relating to DIM operations, but I found earlier on that there were no available downloads in the Manager interface....I had over 3000 there last night when I signed out. Hopefully that was just a temporary glitch, and they will reappear later on. *fingerscrossed*

This has happened to me three times now. One minute I have thousands of files to download the next I have none. Tried shutting the DIM and resigning in. Tried signing out and back in again. No luck. The only thing that has solved it so far is a complete system reboot.

Apologies if this has already been covered, and if there is an answer could someone point me to it please.

This is really starting to stop me wanting to use this program.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

My installer started working strange today. The new files downloaded fine, but did not install automatically.

Worked fine on the first 1800 or so, but todays downloads did not. The install after download checkbox is checked.

ncamp

• beregarberegar Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Is there any specific spot to report missing products? Like for example Chase and Zere are missing from the product listing.

• MJ_VivianightMJ_Vivianight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thread started here on missing DIM files, trying to track down the problem.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17547/

Luck,
    MJ

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

beregar said:
    Is there any specific spot to report missing products? Like for example Chase and Zere are missing from the product listing.

The thread linked to by MJ_Vivianight is about problems today with the DIM, and my not be related to products at all.

DAZ have asked for users to report missing downloads for Genesis and Gen4 in the Mantis Bug Tracker. There is a category for it there.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/main_page.php You need to create a username and password to post there, the DAZ 3D one doesn't work.

• MJ_VivianightMJ_Vivianight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes about some missing files, but I noted that both Cymbidium and Haruchai said there were times when everything was gone, not just a few. Seems recent as well. Guess every little bit helps...as well as the site has been wonky this week. (Hard to say more than usual, but...) And now maintenance over the weekend as well. Whew!

Cheers :)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Yes, the site is very wonky at the moment, hopefully this maintenance will help it over the weekend.

It started turning funny for me yesterday afternoon, and I still have trouble posting or using the search funtion.

• MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Ron Knight from YouTube sent me here. Of course I've been here off and on for nearly 2 years now, but 70 pages of this discussion and his own 10 minute video confirms my hunch about DAZ Install Manager. I downloaded it, but I'm not going to install it or anything with it.

edited December 1969

MarkR151 said:

Ron Knight from YouTube sent me here. Of course I've been here off and on for nearly 2 years now, but 70 pages of this discussion and his own 10 minute video confirms my hunch about DAZ Install Manager. I downloaded it, but I'm not going to install it or anything with it.

What is it that deters you?